Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    londonsurrey
    Begging request on ebay
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:22 AM
    Begging request on ebay 1st Mar 13 at 11:22 AM
    I've put something on ebay for 50. It's a luxury item, and on at less than a third of its cost when new.

I've had a begging letter, disabled child, difficult circumstances, child really would love it.

I must confess that I'm starting to get a touch irritated by this. I've been on ebay for over a decade now, and these emails appear every now and then. Sometimes, they're not even in the same country - I've had US begging letters asking me to send them a 10 item!

Do you ever have them, do you ever believe them, are you irritated by them? I don't think there's even a way to report them. I think they're just spammers, be it sometimes on small scale.
Page 1
  • Ms Chocaholic
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:24 AM
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:24 AM
    Oooh I've never had a begging request via Ebay - the first thing I would do is check their buying/selling history on Ebay (and post it here, ha ha).

If it's a luxury item then clearly they don't need it, I'd ignore them.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • poet123
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:25 AM
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:25 AM
    I can't say I have ever had one, but I mostly sell designer clothes. I find myself intrigued as to what the item might be!!
  • LEJC
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:28 AM
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:28 AM
    sometimes you have to put emotions to one side and just ignore the emails....its probably not even worth getting into an email conversation about the item....very hard to do I know and there probably are some very genuine people who could really benefit from the item at a reduced cost ....but in the world of ebay you have to be objective to selling your item to the higest bidder....
  • MentalMinnie
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:30 AM
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:30 AM
    I usually get them when i sell mobiles on Ebay.

"Please ship to Nigeria and i will pay double!"
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 1st Mar 13, 11:31 AM
    • 32,918 Posts
    • 442,086 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:31 AM
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:31 AM
    ebay have a complaints procedure.. use it. They have a live chat facility might be helpful.

But no, keep the email to forward to ebay and ignore it.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    24/8/2015 61617.95 (5.45% int.)
  • SailorSam
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:32 AM
    Not on Ebay but i'm the one that sends begging letters tp people who win the pools.
    Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
    I need all the preservatives i can get.

• browneyedbazzi
    • By browneyedbazzi 1st Mar 13, 11:32 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    browneyedbazzi
    I've never seen such a thing on ebay and I'm a bit shocked at the cheek of the person! I'd reply with a link to freecycle or similar and suggest they look there if they're after something for nothing. Ebay is a platform for selling things, if you wanted to be charitable/didn't need or want the money generated from a sale then you would post of freecycle or donate the item to a charity.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • gunsandbanjos
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:33 AM
    • 1st Mar 13, 11:33 AM
    Sounds similar to the usual freecycle begging nonsense! It's always a disabled child or something equally emotive.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • londonsurrey
    I've never seen such a thing on ebay and I'm a bit shocked at the cheek of the person! I'd reply with a link to freecycle or similar and suggest they look there if they're after something for nothing. Ebay is a platform for selling things, if you wanted to be charitable/didn't need or want the money generated from a sale then you would post of freecycle or donate the item to a charity.
    Originally posted by browneyedbazzi
    I'd normally be helpful and point to Freecycle. However, the beggar has already mentioned that she has asked on another giveaway site, and in this case, I've decided that I'd rather not introduce her to a site where I give away things, as I just plain don't like her behaviour and don't want to be instrumental in increasing my odds of meeting her!
  • 27col
    Not on Ebay but i'm the one that sends begging letters tp people who win the pools.
    Originally posted by SailorSam
    Chap got a big win on the pools. Reporter says to him"What will you do about the begging letters". "Oh" says the winner "I expect that I will go on sending Them"
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
    • browneyedbazzi
    • By browneyedbazzi 1st Mar 13, 11:50 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    browneyedbazzi
    I'd normally be helpful and point to Freecycle. However, the beggar has already mentioned that she has asked on another giveaway site, and in this case, I've decided that I'd rather not introduce her to a site where I give away things, as I just plain don't like her behaviour and don't want to be instrumental in increasing my odds of meeting her!
    Originally posted by londonsurrey
    That makes sense! In that circumstance I'd just ignore and delete the message. Cheeky mare.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • Northern Princess
    I had an email similar to the one you received yesterday on eBay. The one I received was from the father of a disabled child who would love to have the item I was selling to give to their mother who cared for them for Mothers Day. They asked me to end the listing and sell the item to them for 15. I had the item listed at a starting price of 80.

I replied to the email advising the item for sale was priced already at 1/2 price therefore was not willing to sell it for any less. I reported the reply I got to eBay. The person was incredibly rude, extremely insulting and needed their mouth washed out with a bar of soap when I refused. Shocking behaviour. I wish I hadn't replied
    Never look down on anyone unless you are bending to help them up.....
  • aileth
    Hey, my disabled child would really love it too AND I have hard circumstances. I mean, okay my child isn't disabled, and okay I don't have a child, but I'd still really love it! Please send to Prince Akutwengo At 55 Scam Street, Scam Avenue, Scamdinavia, Nigeria and I will send you a MoneyGram upon receipt.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 1st Mar 13, 12:13 PM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 11,313 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Sounds similar to the usual freecycle begging nonsense! It's always a disabled child or something equally emotive.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos
    A regular (and I mean regularly asking for stuff, not giving it away!) on my local freecycle asked for a plastic tellytubby for her sister's sick child who had lost theirs, couldn't sleep without it etc, etc. Unfortunately for her there is a couple of hours delay while posts are approved and her sister (who is also a member) had posted herself in the same batch to ask for a tellytubby as her dog had lost his!
  • londonsurrey
    A regular (and I mean regularly asking for stuff, not giving it away!) on my local freecycle asked for a plastic tellytubby for her sister's sick child who had lost theirs, couldn't sleep without it etc, etc. Unfortunately for her there is a couple of hours delay while posts are approved and her sister (who is also a member) had posted herself in the same batch to ask for a tellytubby as her dog had lost his!
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    I wonder which one got more offers!
  • suki1001
    I doubt anyone who is genuinely in that situation would actually do anything like that.

And if they are going round doing that - imagine how many other people they are contacting, it would probably be a real money spinner as people are guilt tripped into sending things for free. It's great using a computer - because nobody can see who you really are.

We were party to a scam online, that we didn't fall for btw. The guy came to us wanting us to do some work and kept coming back to us but nothing materialised - I really want you to do the work for me. Things looked like they were going ahead. Then at the same time he asked us to do another completely seperate transaction that was basically a credit card scam. As soon as we said no, he got really nasty and tried to make us feel really guilty by saying things like "I thought you folks were real family types, but I guess i was wrong" We told him not to pay us for the other work and that we were unable to work with him. Thanksfully he went away.

So, if you do say no, expect a really nasty backlash, it's just a typical way they behave. Personally, do contact the eBay team, but don't answer the scammers back, the chances are they'll be doing it to loads of people on there and ebay can close their account down.
    Last edited by suki1001; 01-03-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    MSE Forum's favourite nutter
  • jemb
    I had one before when I was selling a new mobile on ebay I had when renewed my contract. Basically saying her kid really wanted one, she was a single parent, father had stopped sending money as he had cancer and she couldnt afford it. If I gave it to her for 10 it would put a smile on her kids face but God bless if I couldnt. I hate it, it's blatantly a scam.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 1st Mar 13, 1:08 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 13,060 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I've put something on ebay for 50. It's a luxury item, and on at less than a third of its cost when new.

I've had a begging letter, disabled child, difficult circumstances, child really would love it.

I must confess that I'm starting to get a touch irritated by this. I've been on ebay for over a decade now, and these emails appear every now and then. Sometimes, they're not even in the same country - I've had US begging letters asking me to send them a 10 item!

Do you ever have them, do you ever believe them, are you irritated by them? I don't think there's even a way to report them. I think they're just spammers, be it sometimes on small scale.
    Originally posted by londonsurrey
    Definitely report it. I have a disabled child and would never do this. If there is something that my child genuinely needs, and I cannot afford it, there are charities that will help fund essential, and sometimes luxury, items.
  • csh
    I sold a double pram on eBay and had no less than SEVEN emails trying to get me to sell for less than half the starting price. All different boohoo sob stories about how they couldn't afford it but really needed it blah blah. Fact was it was an expensive designer pram and anyone truly in 'need' could have picked up a normal double no probs for the money they were offering.

I sold a mobile the other week and the chap who had the highest bid messaged me to say that he hadn't bid that much and eBay were mistaken and could he pay 15% less as that's all he'd wanted to bid!
    Cheeky !!!!!!, I sold it on a second chance offer to someone else.

This week I have a big item of furniture on for local pick up only and have 61 watchers on, I've had about a dozen messages all asking stupid things its been like a full time job lol
    I hate eBay sometimes!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,031Posts Today

5,094Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin