IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Begging request on ebay
Views: 6,338
# 1
londonsurrey
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Begging request on ebay

I've put something on ebay for 50. It's a luxury item, and on at less than a third of its cost when new.

I've had a begging letter, disabled child, difficult circumstances, child really would love it.

I must confess that I'm starting to get a touch irritated by this. I've been on ebay for over a decade now, and these emails appear every now and then. Sometimes, they're not even in the same country - I've had US begging letters asking me to send them a 10 item!

Do you ever have them, do you ever believe them, are you irritated by them? I don't think there's even a way to report them. I think they're just spammers, be it sometimes on small scale.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to londonsurrey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Ms Chocaholic
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Oooh I've never had a begging request via Ebay - the first thing I would do is check their buying/selling history on Ebay (and post it here, ha ha).

If it's a luxury item then clearly they don't need it, I'd ignore them.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ms Chocaholic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
poet123
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I can't say I have ever had one, but I mostly sell designer clothes. I find myself intrigued as to what the item might be!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poet123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
LEJC
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM

sometimes you have to put emotions to one side and just ignore the emails....its probably not even worth getting into an email conversation about the item....very hard to do I know and there probably are some very genuine people who could really benefit from the item at a reduced cost ....but in the world of ebay you have to be objective to selling your item to the higest bidder....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LEJC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MentalMinnie
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I usually get them when i sell mobiles on Ebay.

"Please ship to Nigeria and i will pay double!"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MentalMinnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
pigpen
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM

ebay have a complaints procedure.. use it. They have a live chat facility might be helpful.

But no, keep the email to forward to ebay and ignore it.
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (07/30)
6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pigpen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
SailorSam
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Not on Ebay but i'm the one that sends begging letters tp people who win the pools.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
browneyedbazzi
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM

I've never seen such a thing on ebay and I'm a bit shocked at the cheek of the person! I'd reply with a link to freecycle or similar and suggest they look there if they're after something for nothing. Ebay is a platform for selling things, if you wanted to be charitable/didn't need or want the money generated from a sale then you would post of freecycle or donate the item to a charity.
Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browneyedbazzi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
gunsandbanjos
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Sounds similar to the usual freecycle begging nonsense! It's always a disabled child or something equally emotive.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gunsandbanjos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
londonsurrey
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedbazzi View Post
I've never seen such a thing on ebay and I'm a bit shocked at the cheek of the person! I'd reply with a link to freecycle or similar and suggest they look there if they're after something for nothing. Ebay is a platform for selling things, if you wanted to be charitable/didn't need or want the money generated from a sale then you would post of freecycle or donate the item to a charity.
I'd normally be helpful and point to Freecycle. However, the beggar has already mentioned that she has asked on another giveaway site, and in this case, I've decided that I'd rather not introduce her to a site where I give away things, as I just plain don't like her behaviour and don't want to be instrumental in increasing my odds of meeting her!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to londonsurrey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
27col
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Not on Ebay but i'm the one that sends begging letters tp people who win the pools.
Chap got a big win on the pools. Reporter says to him"What will you do about the begging letters". "Oh" says the winner "I expect that I will go on sending Them"
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to 27col For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
browneyedbazzi
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonsurrey View Post
I'd normally be helpful and point to Freecycle. However, the beggar has already mentioned that she has asked on another giveaway site, and in this case, I've decided that I'd rather not introduce her to a site where I give away things, as I just plain don't like her behaviour and don't want to be instrumental in increasing my odds of meeting her!
That makes sense! In that circumstance I'd just ignore and delete the message. Cheeky mare.
Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browneyedbazzi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Northern Princess
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had an email similar to the one you received yesterday on eBay. The one I received was from the father of a disabled child who would love to have the item I was selling to give to their mother who cared for them for Mothers Day. They asked me to end the listing and sell the item to them for 15. I had the item listed at a starting price of 80.

I replied to the email advising the item for sale was priced already at 1/2 price therefore was not willing to sell it for any less. I reported the reply I got to eBay. The person was incredibly rude, extremely insulting and needed their mouth washed out with a bar of soap when I refused. Shocking behaviour. I wish I hadn't replied
Never look down on anyone unless you are bending to help them up.....
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Northern Princess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
aileth
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM

Hey, my disabled child would really love it too AND I have hard circumstances. I mean, okay my child isn't disabled, and okay I don't have a child, but I'd still really love it! Please send to Prince Akutwengo At 55 Scam Street, Scam Avenue, Scamdinavia, Nigeria and I will send you a MoneyGram upon receipt.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to aileth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
FatVonD
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandbanjos View Post
Sounds similar to the usual freecycle begging nonsense! It's always a disabled child or something equally emotive.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
A regular (and I mean regularly asking for stuff, not giving it away!) on my local freecycle asked for a plastic tellytubby for her sister's sick child who had lost theirs, couldn't sleep without it etc, etc. Unfortunately for her there is a couple of hours delay while posts are approved and her sister (who is also a member) had posted herself in the same batch to ask for a tellytubby as her dog had lost his!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to FatVonD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
londonsurrey
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVonD View Post
A regular (and I mean regularly asking for stuff, not giving it away!) on my local freecycle asked for a plastic tellytubby for her sister's sick child who had lost theirs, couldn't sleep without it etc, etc. Unfortunately for her there is a couple of hours delay while posts are approved and her sister (who is also a member) had posted herself in the same batch to ask for a tellytubby as her dog had lost his!
I wonder which one got more offers!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to londonsurrey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
suki1001
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM

I doubt anyone who is genuinely in that situation would actually do anything like that.

And if they are going round doing that - imagine how many other people they are contacting, it would probably be a real money spinner as people are guilt tripped into sending things for free. It's great using a computer - because nobody can see who you really are.

We were party to a scam online, that we didn't fall for btw. The guy came to us wanting us to do some work and kept coming back to us but nothing materialised - I really want you to do the work for me. Things looked like they were going ahead. Then at the same time he asked us to do another completely seperate transaction that was basically a credit card scam. As soon as we said no, he got really nasty and tried to make us feel really guilty by saying things like "I thought you folks were real family types, but I guess i was wrong" We told him not to pay us for the other work and that we were unable to work with him. Thanksfully he went away.

So, if you do say no, expect a really nasty backlash, it's just a typical way they behave. Personally, do contact the eBay team, but don't answer the scammers back, the chances are they'll be doing it to loads of people on there and ebay can close their account down.
MSE Forum's favourite nutter

Last edited by suki1001; 01-03-2013 at 12:35 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suki1001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
jemb
Old 01-03-2013, 1:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had one before when I was selling a new mobile on ebay I had when renewed my contract. Basically saying her kid really wanted one, she was a single parent, father had stopped sending money as he had cancer and she couldnt afford it. If I gave it to her for 10 it would put a smile on her kids face but God bless if I couldnt. I hate it, it's blatantly a scam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jemb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
kingfisherblue
Old 01-03-2013, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonsurrey View Post
I've put something on ebay for 50. It's a luxury item, and on at less than a third of its cost when new.

I've had a begging letter, disabled child, difficult circumstances, child really would love it.

I must confess that I'm starting to get a touch irritated by this. I've been on ebay for over a decade now, and these emails appear every now and then. Sometimes, they're not even in the same country - I've had US begging letters asking me to send them a 10 item!

Do you ever have them, do you ever believe them, are you irritated by them? I don't think there's even a way to report them. I think they're just spammers, be it sometimes on small scale.
Definitely report it. I have a disabled child and would never do this. If there is something that my child genuinely needs, and I cannot afford it, there are charities that will help fund essential, and sometimes luxury, items.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kingfisherblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
csh
Old 01-03-2013, 8:04 PM

I sold a double pram on eBay and had no less than SEVEN emails trying to get me to sell for less than half the starting price. All different boohoo sob stories about how they couldn't afford it but really needed it blah blah. Fact was it was an expensive designer pram and anyone truly in 'need' could have picked up a normal double no probs for the money they were offering.

I sold a mobile the other week and the chap who had the highest bid messaged me to say that he hadn't bid that much and eBay were mistaken and could he pay 15% less as that's all he'd wanted to bid!
Cheeky !!!!!!, I sold it on a second chance offer to someone else.

This week I have a big item of furniture on for local pick up only and have 61 watchers on, I've had about a dozen messages all asking stupid things its been like a full time job lol
I hate eBay sometimes!
E. Central Scotland 2kWp system south facing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to csh For This Useful Post: Show me >>