Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Little Miss Uni-Debt
    • By Little Miss Uni-Debt 1st Mar 13, 9:18 AM
    • 832Posts
    • 2,875Thanks
    Little Miss Uni-Debt
    The 1% Challenge - 100 ways to make your 1%
    • 1st Mar 13, 9:18 AM
    The 1% Challenge - 100 ways to make your 1% 1st Mar 13 at 9:18 AM
    Hello all! Welcome to the new home of The 1% Challenge. The first 8 months flew by and we did amazingly well! (£85K cleared - Amazing!!!!)

Time for a fresh new thread at the start of a fresh new month!
    I'll be moving members list & ideas list here shortly!

Please pop in to say hello and subscribe to this new thread!

What's it all about?

So, for anyone new to the challenge & joining us here for the first time, you might find the back-story helpful. The original thread is here Post 1951 on pg 98 was the year end round up and has all the stats.

Basically the idea is that money comes to us in lots of small ways and we don't often realise it. When faced with a big debt it can be overwhelming and we find ourselves just waiting for the next pay day when we can make a large payment.

However, we shouldn't be counting paydays as that's really demotivating, we should be saying we're 100 steps away from being Debt Free or our Savings Target. Each step is 1%. You can do those steps as fast or as slow as you like, as long as you are making progress. There are many ways you can make your 1%. So many in fact that I put together a list of over 100+ ways you can make 1%. Some can even be done several times!!

When the budget has settled and you have a long journey ahead of you, it often gets tough, trying to look for the light at the end of the tunnel. We often push ourselves hard but always wish we could pay more, do more and save more. Sometimes it's hard to be satisfied with the baby steps that we know are good for us.

By doing it 1% at a time and celebrating every milestone, you're on the debt-free ladder & you know exactly which rung you're on. You can take the steps as fast or slow as you like. When you need to, you can pause for a while and reflect on your progress and then carry on renewed.

We need to enjoy the journey and not just the destination.

Three Golden Rules

1. You MUST pay your minimums to your debts each month (This is covering your interest) The percents you earn are in addition to covering your monthly minimums.

2. Always work with accurate balances. Honesty with yourself now saves you from being disappointed with your balances later on.

3. When you feel overwhelmed or demotivated just focus on your next 1%

How To Join in on the challenge! -

Post in BIG colourful letters, your name, 1% and total so far. I'll add you to the list. e.g LITTLE MISS UNI-DEBT - 1% is £80.

What you might need :-
    Moneybox / petty cash tin (keep your £s safe!)
    100 wage envelopes, or 100 paperclips - (the freer the better)
    Notebook
    Free printable 100 square here or here (press begin & then print)
    (or make one of your own! Get the felt pens out! )

How to...
    Take your exact debt or savings total and divide by 100.
    Round UP to the nearest £1 or £10. This is your 1%
    In your notebook start a list of 100 ways that you can earn 1%
    Print the ideas list below for inspiration
    Use the thread for support & motivation
    Contribute new ideas and what worked for you
    Shout up and join the list & get a member number.
    Post a weekly/monthly update of what you've done and how you did it!
    Have fun with the super secret smilies
    Colour in your progress on your 100 square
    Put your member number in your sig, and your % so far & spread the word!

Important Notes

***You MUST MUST MUST pay your minimum payments to all of your debts AND save your 1%'s as well.*** This is now a golden rule

Your 1%'s are what you owe, your min payments are the interest you are paying. I consider the min payments as a 'service charge' the cost of rolling your debt on to the next month. This makes you consider just how much your debt is costing you each month!

As you pay your 1%'s to your cards, your min payments will start to drop. The faster you put your 1%'s to your cards the less interest you will pay.

If you save up to 100% and pay it off in one go this is MORE expensive than paying each 1% as soon as you have earned it. (I try to save 5% then pay it off)

This challenge is probably best for debts/savings £20k or less.
    If you find your 1% still too daunting, just decide on how much you want to pay off this year. Divide it by 100. That should give you a 1% figure that is more suitable. Some find it easier to do one card at a time, starting with the highest interest rate.

If your debt is still increasing through spending, this challenge isn't right for you yet. You need to go back a step to your SOA and re-work it until your debt is steady and you have a little room for overpayments. Then come back when you're ready!

Please contribute your 1% ideas - we need to build a fantastic list for people to choose from!

Anyone wanting to join from now on please post in BIG letters and you'll get the next number on the list.

Little Miss xx

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-10-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    Total@ LBM - Nov07 £14k - Nov 08 £5765 - Aug 09 £3k Dec 09 £998 - May 11 £6900 - Jun 12 £8k Sept12 £7k 19.5k Done - 0k to go
    DEBT FREE! Nov 15
    Proud DFW Club Member - #1073
    '1% at a time' Member - #1!
Page 2
  • Natterjack88
    I know I keep changing how I'm doing challenge but think I'm going to one debt at a time. With 14 creditors between us it's hard to keep track of how minimum payments have reduced total. So first one we are doing is ohs Halifax overdraft. We need to drop it by £400 to get lower charges on it. That will take it to lower interest than other debts. So 1% is £4 and we have 6.25% so far.
    £20 a day April 2014 £834.87/£600
    £20 a day May 2014 £108.45/£600
    • Little Miss Uni-Debt
    • By Little Miss Uni-Debt 5th Mar 13, 11:50 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    Little Miss Uni-Debt
    Hi can I tag along please? I don't really understand the rules but I think I've got a rough idea.

I've got some stuff coming to an end on ebay today so will use that but also I put the odd pence on my bank account into a savings account so would I be able to use that?

I wasn't sure if the money has to be 'made' iyswim.
    Originally posted by kittiej
    Hello Kittiej, thanks for joining!

I will add you onto the list shortly. Working on a big update currently so all new members will be added soon.

I've posted the general instructions/idea in the top post, hope that makes more sense.

As for the envelopes, they are just a place to store cash so you don't spend it. The idea is that each envelope represents 1%. As you save up to 1% you physically put the money in the envelope and write on the front how you earned it. Then when 1% is complete you seal the envelope until it is time to pay it to a debt. It's nice to have a bundle of percents, very motivating! A paperclip works the same if you're saving bank notes.

Generally, if you have cash (either in a bank account or in hand) and it gets paid to your next 1% then that counts. It can be saved/earned etc. All that matters is that it makes a difference to what you owe. hope that helps.
    Last edited by Little Miss Uni-Debt; 05-03-2013 at 2:29 PM.
    Total@ LBM - Nov07 £14k - Nov 08 £5765 - Aug 09 £3k Dec 09 £998 - May 11 £6900 - Jun 12 £8k Sept12 £7k 19.5k Done - 0k to go
    DEBT FREE! Nov 15
    • Sellurgranny
    • By Sellurgranny 5th Mar 13, 1:29 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Sellurgranny
    LMUD please can I join your 1% challenge?

As per my signature, want to get debt free (unsecured as secured is a whole nuther ballgame) before eldest goes to Uni next year.

My 1% will be £39.00.

Im doing the make £5 per day challenge for March so hopefully both these challenges will complement eachother! or more than probably Ill totally confuse myself!
    Last edited by Sellurgranny; 05-03-2013 at 8:04 PM.
    LBM: 6.2.13.
    £3,894.00 Unsecured debt paid off on 25.2.14.

Secured debt as of 5.3.15.
    Debt 1: £11,500 / £10083 LSC
    Debt 2: £3492.00 / £1310 MBNA
    Debt 3: £14835.00 / £14350 Mort Curr A/C

Total Debt: 5/3/15 £29,827
    Total Debt: 26/1/16 £25,743

Follow my debt free diary

MAKING EVERY PENNY COUNT
  • licious
    Hi LMUD,

You have inspired me to get my backside into gear - well everyone on here has actually

Anyway, I was going to just crack on with it myself and just keep up to date with the thread but to be honest, I think it will spur me on even further if I actually join it.....that way it will 'force' me into updating my percentages and keep me at it !!!

So, I like some others on here are tackling 1 or maybe 2 at a time.

Please add me to your members list:

Debt 1 = £700 - 1% = £7.00 - 14%

Debt 2 = £500 - 1% = £5.00 - 7%
    • Little Miss Uni-Debt
    • By Little Miss Uni-Debt 5th Mar 13, 2:37 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    Little Miss Uni-Debt
    Sellurgranny - Welcome! Yes, this challenge works well with the other challenges, it's just a new way of looking at your money and realising you can be proactive and that little steps every day add up!

Licious - Great to have you here! I look forward to your updates, post up how you make your 1%'s so we can pinch... ahem..borrow your ideas
    DEBT FREE! Nov 15
    • clarabella23
    • By clarabella23 5th Mar 13, 4:52 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    clarabella23
    Hello, can I join this too please? I have a credit card currently at £250, that will be challenge number 1! I currently pay £25 a month anyway, but then interest gets taken from that.

DEBT 1: £250, 1% = £2.50

Sounds easy, right?! Guess we'll see!
    Make £5 a day in March £256.27/155
    Make £5 a day in April £22/150 Life and Uni got in the way!
    Make £5 a day in June £48.95/150
    100 day challenge £120/484 by August
  • kittiej
    Hi LMUD

OK I have got it now my debt is a bit different to cc debt because it's not subject to interest. However I must get it paid asap as I only expect to be working for another year.

I did have 1% but my lovely husband has temporarily 'borrowed' it , I should get it back on Thursday so no panic.

I've made a 100 square grid and will cross off the 1% squares - fantastic idea that is too LMUD.

OK need to get my money making thinking cap on
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 5th Mar 13, 11:15 PM
    • 6,803 Posts
    • 35,746 Thanks
    tattycath
    Don't know if it's been mentioned already-peopleperhour http://www.peopleperhour.com/freelance-jobs
    I'm not affiliated with it-I've looked at it but don't feel I have any skills to offer but thought it might help someone.
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    Mortgage overpayments: August: £203.90
    July : £5.05/£200 grocery 1/7/17 £98.36/£150
    Emergency savings £67.00/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £60
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb
    • happytails
    • By happytails 6th Mar 13, 8:07 AM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    happytails
    Hello again everyone! I've found you all!

Well, debt 3 is now 61% only managed our usual £100 in feb as money was stupidly tight, got £350 left to pay and my deadline of 31/3. So far I've got £22 in cash and my friend owes me £24 so that's £46 I'm also opening my money tin at months end too to add that to my total it's quite heavy so hoping its not all coppers

My bus of a car passed its mot last week £50 gone and the husbands car is in in 2 weeks so another £50 gone atleast but needs must! Thankfully my bus seems to be worked ok now my brother cleaned the maf sensor. So less of a worry there!

Got various bits I'm trying to shift on Facebook before I try eBay but really need to try harder! Got an empty perfume bottle to try my luck with on eBay too.

Sarah x
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • Little Miss Uni-Debt
    • By Little Miss Uni-Debt 6th Mar 13, 12:32 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    Little Miss Uni-Debt
    Hello folks!

I've been working on the update all morning and it is coming along nicely. I have all of your updates noted now, will move the list across later today. It's really impressive to see that even though Jan/Feb were tough months for everyone, there were still LOTS of percents cleared. Some of your totals are rocketing, you're racking those percents up Terminator style!

Before I post up the list and the new joiners update, I thought it would be useful just to do a run down of the various ideas that were discussed since the last update.

I've not tried all of these, they have just been brought up in conversation a few times.

YouGov Surveys
    'No Brainers' section on Quidco
    HomeBrew
    Exam marking for teachers (EdExcel)
    Turning Tesco vouchers into 4x value (shops, restaurants)
    Get Tesco points from other places (Eon, Insurance etc)
    Clearing snow/washing cars
    Flick Points iphone app
    Selling on ebay for others (friends/family)
    Sleep Trials (Not drug trials, your health is way too important to risk)
    Swagging Thread / Referrers Board
    PeoplePerHour Freelance work
    Pinecone
    Amazon selling (like ebay but photo/description is already provided)

Also reclaiming bank charges is a very important one. It's already on the main ideas list and there is a HUGE section on how to do it under the MSE 'reclaim' header, however a few people have mentioned recently, wondering if it is worth it.

I would say without a doubt reclaiming bank charges has been my biggest percentage earner so far.

There's a bit of a psychological barrier that it takes a little effort and a bit of a wait, yes you do have to sit down and write a letter or two but the results could be huge and the templates are already done for you!

I'd just like to remind folks that have considered it or maybe have tried once in the past and got fobbed off with an initial "we think our charges are fair" letter - try again.

Quick Task

Today, for a bit of motivational encouragement, I'm going to make some token payments just to each of my debts to round them to the nearest nice round number. This might just be a few pence or to the nearest £5 increment.

It makes adding up balances easier AND if you can go from one hundred pound bracket to the next one down it feels great and is an added bonus!

Hope you're all having a good day. Time for some lunch
    DEBT FREE! Nov 15
    • happytails
    • By happytails 6th Mar 13, 4:35 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    happytails
    Ok decided to break open the money tin downstairs and had £20 and a few pence so gave the pennies to my Daughter for her money pot and then transferred £20 to my mum (just over 2% ) Told the husband we only had £330 left so he said lets just pay it and scrimp by this month and paid her!! EEEK so debt 3 is 100% cleared!! Going to have to be really careful with our money this month but YEY !!!

In other news, Mothers day presents so far have cost £8, just need to grab 2 teacups and saucers to make up a teacup plant for each Mum and we are done Last year i spent about £25 altogether on my mum and MIL so im much happier this year with my spending. Going to get the tea cups and saucers from a charity shop i think x

Right, next debt is our overdraft, (debt 1 is still on hold). So ill call this one debt 2 - £1990 so 1% im going to round up to £20 for ease.

Sarah x
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 6th Mar 13, 11:03 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 3,710 Thanks
    angelpye
    Selling clothes by weight
    Hi all, been lurking and have quick question about selling clothes by weight- do they need to be in good condition? Many thanks
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
  • kittiej
    happytails - that's excellent paying off your loan, well done and what a boost eh?

I've paid £125 off the car today so 5% paid so far, woo-hoo! This debt now stands at £2375, hoping to pay twice as much next week but I have to be mindful of some cheques hitting my account so will have to wait until the end of next week.
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Natterjack88
    Now up 11% off debt 1 thanks to someone finally paying on ebay. Still expecting/awaiting another 2% from there though.

Regarding weighing in clothes the ones near me ask them to be in good condition, no rips or stains etc. I haven't actually weighed any in yet though so can't say whether they scrutinise every single item or not.
    £20 a day April 2014 £834.87/£600
    £20 a day May 2014 £108.45/£600
    • braddy970
    • By braddy970 7th Mar 13, 10:34 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    braddy970
    Hi Little miss x please could you put me down for £3000, my c/c debt so 1% = £30 x
    The 1% Challenge #76 - Debt 1 = £620 - 1% = £6.20 - 4.3%
    Debt 2 = £1600- 1% = £16 - 0%
    Debt 3 = £1012 - 1% = £10.12 0%

Pay all your debt by Xmas 2016 #130- £465.86/£7636.46 - 6.1 %
    Make £10 a day ~ Jan £182.49, Feb £373.65
    • craftingmad
    • By craftingmad 7th Mar 13, 12:43 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    craftingmad
    Hi everyone and welcome to all the new 1%'s - great to have you xx

Well done happytails on reaching your 100% - bet your feeling good

Well I can finally report that I am off the mark on my 3rd journey of 100% - I done my craft fairs on Sun and Tues and have just paid in and transferred over £60 . I actually took just under £150 over the two days but then had to pay stall costs and I have decided to keep some back for extra spending money for the holiday so:-

Member 17 = 1% of third target reached

Now I'm off and running again hopefully there will be no stopping me (well apart from the small matter of the three week holiday which is coming up very soon )

Keep up teh good work and inspiration guys xx
    Mortgage - £125k £53k OP Made 2010 £29320 OP 2011 £4200
    BTL Mortgage £81K BTL Mortgage £82
    No Craft Spending 53/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2016 127/2016
    Declutter Challenge 376/2016
    1% club member 17 - 100% reached 3 times £10k New Target £496.00
    /£1250 = 39%
    £2015 in 2015 - £692.47/£2015
    • happytails
    • By happytails 7th Mar 13, 1:44 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    happytails
    Thanks guys, I am most pleased but things will be very tight money wise until the 19th (when we get our child benefit) then we only have to get to the 29th which is payday.

Need to crack on making the birthday presents and cards for the birthdays this month. Got my nan and my grandad to make for and a 5 year old to buy for but going to wait for that one til i get CB on 19th (his birthday is 21st).

Any money i make this month will be going towards living costs but ill keep a note of it and then pay it to Debt 2 on payday. So far, £22 sale of unused travel cot, £10 off a friend for some clothes - £32 (1.5%)

Sarah x
    Sarah,

• craftingmad
    • By craftingmad 7th Mar 13, 4:38 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    craftingmad
    Having had a slow few moths % wise I have decided to challenge myself to a 5 a day challenge. See my diary here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4484691

Basically I am setting myself a target to do at least 5 things a day in order to save /earn some cash / vouchers etc.

The little things seem to add up in time and so hopefully this will help keep me on track to reaching my third 100% target. Of course I will still post my % updates and ideas on this thread (for what they are worth) but it would be great if some of you would also join me on my new diary journey xx
    Mortgage - £125k £53k OP Made 2010 £29320 OP 2011 £4200
    BTL Mortgage £81K BTL Mortgage £82
    No Craft Spending 53/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2016 127/2016
    Declutter Challenge 376/2016
    1% club member 17 - 100% reached 3 times £10k New Target £496.00
    /£1250 = 39%
    £2015 in 2015 - £692.47/£2015
    • ellesbellesxxx
    • By ellesbellesxxx 7th Mar 13, 8:39 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 2,220 Thanks
    ellesbellesxxx
    Hello all!
    Well, I mentioned this briefly on last thread but this is where am at...

2013 of great changes!
    We have bought a house, however unless we can sell my OH's house before June we will be renting it out. In order to do this, we have borrowed 8000 off family to make up shortfall. Hoping to have some of this left by June plus we will add to it with earnings before then (not many out goings at the moment due to living in OH's house)

The other great change is after being so stressed and unhappy, that I have changed my work situation - going part time after Easter and also have taken up some other projects and work elsewhere! I am taking a 9000 pay cut, but hoping this will be less by time I get other work and maybe some supply too.

As well as that, my first original 1% challenge was saving up for the lump payment on my car so that I don't have to take out a loan to pay off balance.

Also, have had money on CC on 0% deal so to keep money in ISA.

So... until today my totals were:

debt 1: 8000
    Debt 2: 2500 (CC)
    Lump sum: 2500 (already saved 800 so 32%)

However, want to pay CC off well before June so today... I paid off 1000 - 40%.

New totals

Debt 1: 8000
    Debt 2: 2500 (40%)
    "Debt 3": 2500 (32%)

Really glad we are back over here yaaaaaay!

Well done to all x
    • rexelpink
    • By rexelpink 7th Mar 13, 10:52 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    rexelpink
    Hi everyone, can I join in please?
    I read through nearly your whole previous thread last night and was so inspired I stayed up making my own 'square chart' to colour in as I go. :-)

We've currently got £13,445.23 in debts (sob)
    It was 20,000 in 2008, and I have worked really hard to get it down by the 6.5k that we have already in the last 4.5 years, but its sooo slooow... and I don't ever have enough to buy nice things, many days out etc. (we didn't even have a honeymoon in 2009 when we got married I was so determined not to overspend on our budget)

Today I have spoken and written to my bank and resubmitted my request for bank charges to be reclaimed. I have also bitten the bullet and gone for PPI both with my bank (I was worried to do this before, incase they closed my account and wanted the remainder of my loan upfront which I couldnt do! - But I phoned the FOS and they assured me they cannot do that)
    I also had a bit of a brain jolt and remembered that I had a few store cards about 12 years ago... Phoned Santander and it turns out I had 6!!! (eek) They couldnt see if there was PPI as they were from so long ago, but they have given me the address to write to which I have done tonight as well.

I guess my question would be, (apart from can I join lol) does anyone else have as high a 1% as £135? It just seems impossible (and I feel a bit deflated... )

Should I split my debts, and look at them individually as 1% at a time?

Sorry if I seem confused... Appreciate any thoughts - Thanks
    Staring debt - June 2013 - £21,000
    Current debt - April 2017 - £11,697

Emergency fund £500 / 100%

Debt free one day at a time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

1,738Users online

Martin's Twitter