IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Say No to 0870!
Closed Thread
Views: 122,459
# 281
colin_tomlinson
Old 28-02-2005, 9:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to colin_tomlinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88
0870 calls cost 12p per minute
I think that rather depends on your tariff. I know in this instance the customer is not pre-pay, but those who are at Vodafone pay 40p/minute for all NGN numbers - even freephone!

I've argued with them that "Companies buy these numbers to make it easier, in some cases cheaper, to contact them - and you're throwing all of that out of the window by making it 8x more expensive than a normal number."

I went on "My firend doesn't ever pay for any of the call when I ring her. I can understand companies with freephone might not want to absorb the cost of a call from a mobile, but even if they take on nothing - as is the case with my friend's home number - why does it cost me more to ring than a normal landline?"

Usual call-centre type response ... ("It's just how the tariff has been set up" - read "I haven't got a clue, I'm not remotely interested, you're getting on my nerves, I just work here.")
# 282
rizla01
Old 04-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to rizla01
Cool

I haven't read all of this thead so I may be repeating something already printed so appologies if that be the case but I thought this might prove useful...

How to obtain the geographical numbers from companies that insist on giving out 0870 Nos.

If you call or email the organisation and explain that you're going abroad, so you need a geographical number to call when overseas. Then simply replace the "44" at the start of this number with a zero and you have its UK equivalent! Also, you can use the new Freedom of Information Act to obtain geographical numbers for local government, NHS and other State bodies.

Once you have obtained the number be sure to go to the 'Say no to 0807 ' site and post the number that you get.

Riz
"Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

# 283
derrick
Old 04-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizla01
I haven't read all of this thead so I may be repeating something already printed so appologies if that be the case but I thought this might prove useful...

How to obtain the geographical numbers from companies that insist on giving out 0870 Nos.

If you call or email the organisation and explain that you're going abroad, so you need a geographical number to call when overseas. Then simply replace the "44" at the start of this number with a zero and you have its UK equivalent! Also, you can use the new Freedom of Information Act to obtain geographical numbers for local government, NHS and other State bodies.

Once you have obtained the number be sure to go to the 'Say no to 0807 ' site and post the number that you get.

Riz

This does not always work I have come accross companies whose overseas number is 44 (0) 870********** Therefore replacing the 44 still gives an 0870 number. Also what about companies that don`t operate via overseas? i.e does Argos have an overseas number?

Do you know if your suggestion,which is public knowledge on this site, works with Inland Revenue, NHS Direct, etc?
Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

# 284
andy88
Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 AM
PPR

It is possible to call +44870 from abroad, only not from the cheapest operators; a point which is likely to fall on these people's deaf ears.

In the same way you could ring a French 0892 number eg Etap Hotel via some methods but not all. I had to ring from my mobile while roaming. Using my UK calling card access abroad, or 18866 from here, did not work.
# 285
hcmix
Old 04-03-2005, 12:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Obtaining 0870 Alternative

I've found the online directory enquiries companies (including BT) really useful. My dentist gave me an 0870 number - he's also just gone from NHS to private - so I got the geographical number off BT.

It's disgusting that companies (large or small) who are already making fat profits out of people insist on making you pay to call them and ask for help.

The saynoto0870 website has been great for me, I called the DVLA today on a freephone number and got through to someone without a problem.
# 286
blindwatchertrev
Old 06-03-2005, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 0870 etc

Forgive my naivety but Im new to all of this and have never used chat forums etc. Having read the articles about so called non geographic numbers ,I have today written to all the companies that I have a commercial relationship with who use 0870 numbers and cancelled membership, subscriptions etc. In the letters I have pointed out that I have deliberatly avoided using a stamp thus hopefully forcing the recipetent to incur extra costs.Am I doing anything illegal and can I be taken to task for it.
# 287
theloft
Old 08-03-2005, 5:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwatchertrev
Forgive my naivety but Im new to all of this and have never used chat forums etc. Having read the articles about so called non geographic numbers ,I have today written to all the companies that I have a commercial relationship with who use 0870 numbers and cancelled membership, subscriptions etc. In the letters I have pointed out that I have deliberatly avoided using a stamp thus hopefully forcing the recipetent to incur extra costs.Am I doing anything illegal and can I be taken to task for it.
Well done ! This is certainly drastic action and more than most of us are prepared to take. As for the legality, I think it is illegal to post a letter without a stamp on, but hey, are they going to prosecute, I doubt it!
These rip-off companies that make us use 0870 numbers are often those with whom we are doing business and it is the only means of contact. They don't always have an e-mail address. I make a point of telling the "person" when I finally get through after listening to all the rubbish and options, how disgusted I am at the phone costs and always ask them to phone me back. Of course they either say that it is a call centre and that they are not allowed to call back, or say they will get somebody to call back and they never do. I actuallly received a letter from one insurance company who I had a policy with asking me to ring them about my complaint, on an 0870 number of course! Needless to say they no longer have my business.
"0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
# 288
WiseSteward
Old 09-03-2005, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default 0870 -v- 0800 for the AA

This will be useful for anyone following the advice on this site re. Roadside Assistance and switching from the AA to a less expensive provider.

My AA renewal quote is 102 pa (or 115.38 by 11 instalments). I've decided to cancel and go for a 'Pay & Reclaim' scheme.

The renewal letter gives 0870 6044 055 for cancelations. There's an extensive lists of contact tel. no's for the various AA depts. at:
www.theaa.com/aboutaa/contact.html
Some are 0870 and some 0800. The no. for Breakdown Cover (Renewals) is 0800 085 2608.
I phoned the 0800 no., said I wanted to cancel and was transferred to Cancelations - no problem. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I'm posting these no's on the www.saynoto0870.com site.

Cheers, Graham B
# 289
mike_paterson
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88
Mike it certainly is shocking that some Vodafone staff either don't know the price of these calls or didn't listen carefully to what you said

0870 calls cost 12p per minute and are specified as not in the included minutes
Andy - you are absolutely right - I have checked my bill and they have charged me 12p per minute. They obviously need to train their staff better !

I am suprised that the phone companies are allowed to hide their charges so well that even their own staff do not know how they are priced !

At least I have not been hit with a hefty Bill !
To infinity and beyond!
# 290
Jazzy_B
Old 10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 1899 VoIP service

Anyone know if you can make free 0870 calls using the free 1899 VoIP service?
I can't find this posted anywhere else. Apologies if I've missed it.
# 291
GeoThermal
Old 10-03-2005, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Strange that saynoto0870.com have Google adverts advertising companies selling 0870 numbers!
# 292
lipidicman
Old 11-03-2005, 5:24 PM

Listened to moneybox live on Radio 4 today - and they have an 0870 number. Shame on the BBC. On working lunch they said it was to pay for information lines - but for call-ins this is a bit much! Martin, have you appeared on a BBC phone in show with an 0870 number?
# 293
MSE Martin
Old 11-03-2005, 6:48 PM
Money Saving Expert

The BBC and 0870

I keep getting asked about this so let me put something on the record. Yes i appear on BBC shows with 0870's, quite a few of them.

However i always point it out when i do so. Often the answer is 'we dont make money from it' however i believe the editorial staff are being duped by the back office people as what they get from it is a 'telecoms system' which would otherwise need paying for - and as such they are rewarded.

Now if I'm honest, of course I don't go slagging off the programmes publically. They provide me with work and let me get many MoneySaving messages out there which help people.

So I do the work behind the scenes. I think things are changing. I have a meeting in a couple of weeks with a major bbc programme (please don't try and guess what it is on here, that wouldn't help) who uses an 0870. To explain the problem to the editorial team so something can be decided.

Am i about to shout about it everywhere i can - no to be honest - its a balance for me. The BBC is not a profit making company, and it means well, but is misguided on this one, so pressure quietly from within seems to me the best stance.

martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 294
zcaprd7
Old 11-03-2005, 7:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoThermal
Strange that saynoto0870.com have Google adverts advertising companies selling 0870 numbers!
They can't really help this as google scans the page and tries its best to serve a relevant advert - however I can't believe the site gets much money from these adverts!

They might do better with a Onetel banner?
# 295
lipidicman
Old 14-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Martin
Am i about to shout about it everywhere i can - no to be honest - its a balance for me. The BBC is not a profit making company, and it means well, but is misguided on this one, so pressure quietly from within seems to me the best stance.

martin
Its good to know that you are on the case, I agree that you dont need to make a fuss about it if the teams are willing to listen to a discreet discussion!

I understand that the BBC have to fund their info lines, and 0870 seems fine for this, its cheap compared to other information lines. But for phone-ins like 'moneybox live' the calls make the programme what it is, and it is already a cheap way to fill half an hour of publically funded air-time. It is like reality-tv for the radio in this way, much cheaper that a 1/2 hour of drama for example.

I was impressed that working lunch was big enough to highlight this issue and point the finger at the BBC too.

The real issue is changing the marketing of these lines as 'local rate' or 'national rate' . I can see why a company might want/need an 0870 number However, it is clear that many companies think they are doing themselves and their customers a favour using an 0845 line. They don't benefit (unless the perception is it 'looks professional') and it costs us - the only winner is the telecoms companies.
# 296
JohalaReewi
Old 16-03-2005, 10:28 AM

Was surfing the BT site last night and found this

http://www.bt.com/btcom_redirectLink...5&obsType=LINK

Just when I thought all 0870 numbers were charged at the same rate, BT introduce 0870 09, 0870 187 and 0870 188 which are charged at a different rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohalaReewi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 297
JohalaReewi
Old 16-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidicman
The real issue is changing the marketing of these lines as 'local rate' or 'national rate' . I can see why a company might want/need an 0870 number However, it is clear that many companies think they are doing themselves and their customers a favour using an 0845 line. They don't benefit (unless the perception is it 'looks professional') and it costs us - the only winner is the telecoms companies.
Too true. Many people who get these numbers for use by their business are under the impression that the caller pays the same as they would for a normal phone call. While this was true a number of years ago, it is not so now but you can still find companies on the internet using this as a sales point. There needs to be a major campaign to educate everybody that 0870 (and 0845 and 0871) calls are more expensive than normal phone calls and are (mostly) not included in any 'inclusive calls' package.
# 298
sergeant121
Old 16-03-2005, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohalaReewi
Too true. Many people who get these numbers for use by their business are under the impression that the caller pays the same as they would for a normal phone call. While this was true a number of years ago, it is not so now but you can still find companies on the internet using this as a sales point. There needs to be a major campaign to educate everybody that 0870 (and 0845 and 0871) calls are more expensive than normal phone calls and are (mostly) not included in any 'inclusive calls' package.
That applies to some 0844 numbers as well - as many people will find out in the near future when they ring their GP's new 'SurgeryLine' number.

And, in all those cases, the charges from call boxes are considerably more than from a residential landline.

Last edited by sergeant121; 16-03-2005 at 11:23 AM.
# 299
analyst
Old 23-03-2005, 3:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

On the subject of BBC using 0870 lines, I note that, of all people, the WATCHDOG programme uses an 0870 number too

Quote:
If you wish to telephone Watchdog, our contact number is:
0870 010 7070
- oooohhh shame on them!
# 300
colin_tomlinson
Old 26-03-2005, 8:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to colin_tomlinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohalaReewi
Was surfing the BT site last night and found this

http://www.bt.com/btcom_redirectLink...5&obsType=LINK
On this page, BT refers to "0870 premium rate services" so could this be the start of some new honesty, at long last?

It's also worth noting that 0845 numbers ARE now charged at the same rates as normal calls - at least from BT. That said, it's only the price per minute that's the same, the calls aren't included in free/5.5p for the first hour deals, etc.
Closed Thread