Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mooch1uk
    • By mooch1uk 22nd Feb 13, 8:44 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 12Thanks
    mooch1uk
    0 WOW
    Cancelling a timeshare - RCI -not possible -HELP
    • 22nd Feb 13, 8:44 PM
    0 WOW
    Cancelling a timeshare - RCI -not possible -HELP 22nd Feb 13 at 8:44 PM
    Hi

My mum has tried to cancel her timeshare as it is no longer value of money and in fact wasting money. She enquired about cancelling and received this response

We are really sorry to learn of your circumstances and that you do not wish to continue with your membership with us. However, we are afraid that there is no provision for the surrender of a membership, except in Exceptional Circumstances, which are detailed below:
    !
    ·!!!!!!!! Death of either member with no possibility of transferring to family members – copy of death certificate will be required.
    ·!!!!!!!! Bankruptcy/CAB/solicitors involvement to sort out debt – documentary evidence will be required (The Citizens Advice Bureau will produce an Income & Expenditure form for you free of charge.)
    ·!!!!!!!! Over 75 years old with no possibility of transferring to family members – birth certificate will be required.
    ·!!!!!!!! Medical problems/terminal illness necessitating reduced travel and/or decrease in financial resources to maintain membership – expert proof will be required.
    !
    Please note for the above we will only consider waiving the current year’s management charges.! Therefore all previous years’ fees must be paid in full. Should any of the above criteria apply, the required documentation as quoted above must be provided to substantiate your case.! We would therefore request that you forward the required documentation so that we can consider the surrender of your membership.
    !
    We trust this information is satisfactory; however, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Owner Operations Department.
    !
Page 2
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 23rd Aug 13, 7:12 AM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Last time.

Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket will sell your timeshare or points for FREE.
  • Ssuellis
    Hi I am trying to get out of mine if you can help me in any way please
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 19th Jan 14, 9:40 AM
    • 8,133 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    You would be better starting your own thread! As to how you extricate yourself from an agreement depends on what you have - deeded property, a points commitment, or one of the myriad variations where you own nothing but a right to use.
  • slugs
    get out now
    Hi

My mum has tried to cancel her timeshare as it is no longer value of money and in fact wasting money. She enquired about cancelling and received this response

We are really sorry to learn of your circumstances and that you do not wish to continue with your membership with us. However, we are afraid that there is no provision for the surrender of a membership, except in Exceptional Circumstances, which are detailed below:
    !
    ·!!!!!!!! Death of either member with no possibility of transferring to family members – copy of death certificate will be required.
    ·!!!!!!!! Bankruptcy/CAB/solicitors involvement to sort out debt – documentary evidence will be required (The Citizens Advice Bureau will produce an Income & Expenditure form for you free of charge.)
    ·!!!!!!!! Over 75 years old with no possibility of transferring to family members – birth certificate will be required.
    ·!!!!!!!! Medical problems/terminal illness necessitating reduced travel and/or decrease in financial resources to maintain membership – expert proof will be required.
    !
    Please note for the above we will only consider waiving the current year’s management charges.! Therefore all previous years’ fees must be paid in full. Should any of the above criteria apply, the required documentation as quoted above must be provided to substantiate your case.! We would therefore request that you forward the required documentation so that we can consider the surrender of your membership.
    !
    We trust this information is satisfactory; however, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Owner Operations Department.
    !
    Originally posted by mooch1uk
    sounds like the letter comes from diamond resorts... perhaps they own the holiday site..looks like one of there letters,, I belong to a self help site http://drip.enjin.com/ this site is free to join it offers help advise and support...go and check the site out now
  • slugs
    Are you worried about timeshare... I belong to a self help group of people with timeshare weeks/points who want out.. there are over three thousand of us now, this group is free to join, it was a god send for me and my family and a way out..please don't worry alone go take a look..http://drip.enjin.com/
  • Jazzin
    Are Credit Card Claims reputable?
    Hi
    This company has advertised on local radio. Has anyone used them successfully?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 3rd Feb 14, 10:17 PM
    • 13,363 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    dzug1
    Hi
    This company has advertised on local radio. Has anyone used them successfully?
    Originally posted by Jazzin

What have they got to do with timeshare???
  • Jazzin
    Their advertisement says that they will get you out of the timeshare deal if you have paid by credit card - no win, no fee.
  • slugs
    Would not bother with them jazzin,
    "Section 75" laws means your plastic must protect anything you buy over £100 for free, so if there's a problem or the company goes bust you can still get your money back. Look on this web site Martin Lewis section 75 credit card.. Have you purchased a time share or points on your card..
    The above company is only doing what you can do for free they will take a cut of what you get back..
    Last edited by slugs; 07-02-2014 at 2:31 PM.
    • headpin
    • By headpin 8th Feb 14, 8:49 AM
    • 661 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    headpin
    Last time.

Worldwide Timeshare Hypermarket will sell your timeshare or points for FREE.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Not true, they will try to find a buyer but cannot guarantee that anyone will be interested in buying what to all intents and purposes is a pig in a poke.

I still cannot understand how anyone ever thought timeshare was a good deal. Usual comment applied then as now. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. This was a gold mine for tricksters and con men.
  • Berylpeace
    I am also wanting to offload my points with Club la Costa. I have had a company chasing me, who say that there is a Class Action Court Case going and I can get compensation, but we've had our fingers burned by other "resale" companies and I really don't want to have to try and see who's legitimate and who's not. Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 8th Dec 14, 11:05 AM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Ask to be sent details, I am not aware of any major class action but if it exists, deal with the solicitors involved, not agents who may have just bought a mailing list and be 'fishing for business' Legitimate companies do not 'chase' customers, alternatively ask to speak to others within the group. I am afraid that you should generally assume the worst until it is proven otherwise
    • get me out of here
    • By get me out of here 21st Jun 16, 12:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    get me out of here
    Hello I am going through a company called ITRA which is International Timeshare Refund Action. Waiting at the moment for legal system to pass judgement and hopefully get out of my timeshare situation. Currently with RCI and have not paid my membership up to date - it is now June 2016 and RCI have advised me unless I pay up the membership fee I will be taken to county court. Have been advised by ITRA not to pay this demand.
    Hope information is useful and am willing to keep in contact on this matter.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 21st Jun 16, 12:40 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    Mmmm Dragging an old thread up. My thoughts are just 2 words barge and pole.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 21st Jun 16, 1:54 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Archergirl
    RCI is an exchange company just tell them you wish to leave it.......
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 11th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 10,871 Posts
    • 7,096 Thanks
    Caz3121
    you missed out a key piece of information
    - "JLCA charge upfront legal fees of between £5,400 and £18,200. In the event the claim is unsuccessful, there is no refund of fees."
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 11th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    i.miah Don'T you understand YOU NEED PERMISSION TO POST.
    • Sneeze165
    • By Sneeze165 2nd Nov 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sneeze165
    The law seems to be changing...and there is now a chance that some of these timeshare contracts are illegal. Anybody had any success, I have a friend who has had a letter from Diamond Resorts saying they are out of their contract.. now waiting for court case in Spain to gain compensation.
    All info would be gratefully received..
    • Raymondo111
    • By Raymondo111 2nd Nov 17, 2:45 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Raymondo111
    The law seems to be changing...and there is now a chance that some of these timeshare contracts are illegal. Anybody had any success, I have a friend who has had a letter from Diamond Resorts saying they are out of their contract.. now waiting for court case in Spain to gain compensation.
    All info would be gratefully received..
    Originally posted by Sneeze165
    There have been many successes in the last couple of years since the Supreme Court in Spain declared that in-perpretuity contracts and floating weeks Timeshare are illegal, the Timeshare developers know this but still insist on trying to squeeze as much as possible out of owners who want to get out. The decision owners in Spain have to take is to either walk away and write off their Timeshare or engage a Spanish Lawyer with a view to suing the developers for compensation and miss-selling, this obviously involves costs but can result in getting many thousands back. However, there are a lot of scammers that have started up to fleece people out of more money so do your research and check and check again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter