Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catriona79
    • By catriona79 21st Feb 13, 6:45 PM
    • 850Posts
    • 1,629Thanks
    catriona79
    Catriona's Credit Card Countdown
    • 21st Feb 13, 6:45 PM
    Catriona's Credit Card Countdown 21st Feb 13 at 6:45 PM
    Hi All,
    I have long been jealous of all of you wonderfully disciplined people who slay their debts ruthlessly with each pay check!
    I have been lurking on here for many years, and learned a lot. I have tried to budget, use comparison sites, signed up to Quidco and market research sites, grabbed bargains and downloaded vouchers.
    But in March 2011 I bought my first house alone, after a relationship split and wanted to cheer myself up and do it up beautifully. And I did! I really love it. I did budget with that too, but inevitably it left me with masses of debt. I always used only 0% cards to buy the housey things – the new windows and radiators, the cooker and washer dryer, paint and tiles.
    In the mean time, I also used my cards to supplement my regular daily spends; regularly went to restaurants and bars– especially when the house was a building site and all I had was an old mattress on the floor and a couple of garden chairs! J I did need to get away, and what is done is done. But – I fully intend to turn it around now!

I have given myself a tight – but realistic – deadline of my 35th birthday (May 25th 2014) to be debt free.

My debts at the moment are:

Barclaycard 1 - £3600 – 0% until November 2013
    Barclaycard 2 - £6685 – 0% until March 2014
    First Direct CC - £3100 – 0% until January 2014
    Lloyds TSB CC - £2131 – 0% until February 2014
    Ikano bed loan - £126 – 0% until May 2013
    HSBC CC – £290 – 17%

The total is £15801

To tell the truth, it has been making me really anxious to know that I could be in a really precarious situation if I lost my job, for instance. I have not been sleeping well for the last couple of years. I need more peace of mind and there is only one way to feel secure – and that is to provide security for yourself, without relying on others.
    I don’t really get any support from my parents and they don’t live in the UK, so maybe that adds to the anxiety, but the fact is that I am perfectly capable of carrying on and making it all better myself. I am quite independent and motivated and have got myself quite excited about this new challenge.
    My weakness, however, is that I don’t stick at things! I will be good for a couple of months, and then feel low/deprived and undo all the good work.
    So, I am hoping that knowing that some of you might read it, will make me stick at my goals better this time, and be still young(ish) and (debt) free for 25th May 2014, which is when I turn 35.
    Hope a few of you will come here and cheer me on from time to time!
    I shall tell you about my plan for debt busting shortly.
    Last edited by catriona79; 15-03-2013 at 8:41 PM.
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
Page 35
    • 500daysaway
    • By 500daysaway 5th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    500daysaway
    Catriona, I have read your diary from start to finish and you have inspired me that I can get debt free! Really enjoyed reading your diary!
    I have put a target of 500 days on my debt , fingers crossed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,084Posts Today

10,050Users online

Martin's Twitter