Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 36
    • JPears
    • By JPears 30th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    JPears
    google.
    were not allowed to put links in sigs - a silly MSE rule!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Faldinio
    • By Faldinio 1st Dec 17, 3:39 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Faldinio
    Qatar compensation
    I had similar fobbing off from Qatar for a delay MAN to DOH missing connection to Male and had to stay overnight in Doha. Eventually wrote to CAA who upheld my complaint and a week later Qatar u-turned and offered full compensation. Definitely write to the CAA.
    • Carol B
    • By Carol B 1st Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Carol B
    I have this same issue with Virgin. I bought a through ticket from Manchester to Miami in January but the 1 stop was in Atlanta ( Delta codeshare with Virgin) we were delayed 7 and a half hours in Atlanta and told that we weren!!!8217;t entitled to compensation because our delay was in the USA-and by Delta so the EU law didn!!!8217;t apply. I argued with them that I had a through ticket bought in the UK and I had no control over who Virgin shared with but I had bought a Ticket from them, not Delta . Both air.ines blamed each other and insisted I was not entitled to anything. However since Emirates lost this case I don!!!8217;t know whether to resurrect this,claim and go via the CAA. Any advice anyone please ?
    • Carol B
    • By Carol B 1st Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Carol B
    Does anyone have any details of the Case that Emirates have just lost in the court of appeal please ?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 1st Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Does anyone have any details of the Case that Emirates have just lost in the court of appeal please ?
    Originally posted by Carol B
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2017/1530.html

Not seen anything about any further appeal result yet.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 1st Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    • 11,025 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I have this same issue with Virgin. I bought a through ticket from Manchester to Miami in January but the 1 stop was in Atlanta ( Delta codeshare with Virgin) we were delayed 7 and a half hours in Atlanta and told that we werenít entitled to compensation because our delay was in the USA-and by Delta so the EU law didnít apply. I argued with them that I had a through ticket bought in the UK and I had no control over who Virgin shared with but I had bought a Ticket from them, not Delta . Both air.ines blamed each other and insisted I was not entitled to anything. However since Emirates lost this case I donít know whether to resurrect this,claim and go via the CAA. Any advice anyone please ?
    Originally posted by Carol B
    The Emirates cases deal with delays on the first flight causing a missed connection where Emirates were only counting the time of the delay until Dubai.
    Your post is not clear whether you were delayed arriving in Atlanta, how late you were and more importantly what the reason for that delay was. I you arrived on time in Atlanta and it was the Delta flight that was delayed only then I doubt the Emirates case will help
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 11th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Bumped for newbies to find.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    JPears
    hey thats my job....

• Drive4it
    • By Drive4it 11th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Drive4it
    Birmingham to Bangkok via Dubai
    Hi

I travelled from Birmingham to Bangkok via Dubai at Xmas
    We missed our connection due to the first flight being delayed.
    It was delayed due to the previous flight before we boarded (dubai to Birmingham) being late due to fog in dubai.

So, our actual flights were NOT DIRECTLY AFFECTED BY WEATHER.

Can I make a claim.

Emirates flew us onto Bangkok 26hrs later and gave us accommodation etc overnight in dubai
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    JPears
    hi, download Vauban's guide, it very useful, answers usually found there.
    Were emirates the airline from Birmigham to Bangkok via Dubai?

• Drive4it
    • By Drive4it 11th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Drive4it
    Yes, Emirates for the whole journey on one booking
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 11th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Drive4it,

Thanks for reposting.

You are due !!!8364;600 each, provided the airline does not claim and prove that the delay was due to an extraordinary circumstance.

Put in a claim and see how it goes.

Good luck.
    • motiv3
    • By motiv3 17th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    motiv3
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if you could give me some advice.

Had a flight via Turkish Airlines from Riyadh to Manchester (connection at Istanbul) on 6th of January

Riyadh to Istanbul (flight TK0141) was cancelled - no explanation given at the time and some of the worst customer support I've experienced to date

Was given another flight but this time with BA from Riyadh to Heathrow (BA262) on 7th of January

Put in a claim against Turkish Airlines for the delay to which they replied with the following:

We have received your message dated 15th of January, 2018.

irstly, we ask for you to accept our regret at the unpleasant situation you have experienced, and we apologize for not getting you to the final destination on your ticket on time.

As is the case in every other industry, unexpected issues may occur in the aviation industry, too, and we would like to share with you the fact that some of these happen outside our control.

Under normal conditions, in cases of planned delays/cancellations, our passengers are contacted to be informed of the delay. In the investigation conducted, it was found that the TK0141 Riyadh/Istanbul flight on 6th of January 2018 was conducted with 16 hours delay due to foreign object damage and 42 minutes delay due to catering. Therefore, you would have misconnected your flight TK1981 Istanbul/London flight dated 6th of January 2018.

In line with the above mentioned fact, we regret to state that we are not able to compensate you according to Civil Aviation Regulations due to irregularities beyond our control.

Moreover, we would like you to know that we will evaluate the reimbursement for the expenses you might have had at the airport if you could kindly send the receipts using the online feedback form on our website.

We strive to eliminate such undesirable unpleasant situations, and your feedback is of guidance to us toward improving our services. Sending to us your views both positive and negative after every one of your flights would, without a doubt, lead us toward providing better service.

We apologize for being unable to facilitate the travels of our valued passengers, as we would like you to know that we would be glad to again welcome you as our guest on your future travels.

Sincerely yours,

Gozde S.

Turkish Airlines Inc.
    Customer Contact Center

Not sure where I stand as of present. Do I have any entitlement to claim?

Thanks for any advice guys - much appreciated!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th Jan 18, 11:04 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Motiv3,

I believe that you face an almost impossible task here for the following reasons.

Turkish Airlines are not a European airline, although I believe that they are voluntary signatories to the EU regulations, so I don't think you, or any UK court, can force them to adhere to those regs.

They seem to be indicating that the cause was foreign object damage (fod) which usually means a bird stride. If that is the case it would be regarded as an EC and no compensation would be due.

It was also an none European airline operating out of a none European country which wouldn't come within the scope of the regs either.

They seem to have looked after you reasonably well, even though you were delayed by a day, so I would suggest just not taking it any further.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 17-01-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    • Carol B
    • By Carol B 18th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Carol B
    Hi Motiv3

I had exactly the same thing happen with Qatar Airways Flight delayed from Singapore to Doha and missed connection to Manchester. For the reasons previously stated by Tyzap I got nowhere. However as a gesture of goodwill they gave me vouchers for a future flight. I even went to Bott to see if they would take my case, neither they nor another similar firm would take the case. I hope this helps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,810Posts Today

9,146Users online

Martin's Twitter