Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 6th Feb 13, 11:42 AM
    • 176Posts
    • 536Thanks
    MiMi66
    oh my life...... Light Bulb moment.
    • 6th Feb 13, 11:42 AM
    oh my life...... Light Bulb moment. 6th Feb 13 at 11:42 AM
    Well, I am posting for the first time and starting a new thread all in one - I joined yesterday and am I so hoping that doing this will help to keep me on track with facing and resolving my debt.

I am ashamed and embarrassed - both at the debt and at how long it has taken me to face up to being in debt and deciding to address it - I'll have to say it quickly though £21620 - to credit cards.
    God, if I can press the post this button after typing that I shall be going some.

I oculd come up with loads of reasons about why I am in debt - all valid and real - but it doesn't take away from the reality of having to pay it back. I am a single mother with two children, I work full time in a good job, and I have spent too much, way too much.

Oddly the children and I don't live some high flying life, no racks of clothes and shoes from designer shops or anything like that - just years of spending over my budget on food, petrol and the big one, trips away. One of these trips was due to my father dying and I needed to go overseas to deal with arrangements suddenly, and took the children - all went on the cards.

I have tumbled recently - poor health, which gave me time to reflect (or wake up you might think), panic (still), contemplate dark things and get very depressed - and now started antidepressants. They are just starting to work and lift my mood, and I want to try and get a plan into place to deal with my awful debt and take a new attitude to it.

I have a mortgage, and good equity (though the bank said no to me borrowing against the house last week - that added to my spiral of mood) - House is worth about £200K and my mortgage is £114K. Also turned down for a loan from Sainsburys bank, which I wanted to consolidate my debts with. Instead I am left with credit cards totalling £21600 (I owed approx £22500 in December, but managed to pay off the Christmas mad spend, but living on thin air this month.)

So - shall I write out my debt?

Halifax - 6830 0% til Dec
    Natwest - 2419 0% til Sept
    M&S - 5730 0% til June and another at Nov
    MBNA - 6632 5.9% for life of balance
    Nationwide - 9 (yes only 9!)

= 21620

Tesco - approx 423 which will be paid off on my pay day - 27/02/13

I've rung a financial adviser who was kind but had not ideas for me as my mortgage provider and Sainsburys turned me down flat. I also spoke with National Debt Line - who were very kind and also reassured me that as I have no 'prioirty debts' my house is safe.

I have always paid everything on time - always met minimums plus a bit more, and have never had a DMP, CCJ or any formal action against me. Mortgage is paid and essential bills all on DD's.

My Credit rating on Experien is all Green - just lots of it. I don't really understand why I haven't been ok'd for a loan to consolidate it all - but it leaves me with having to do that credit card shuffle thing (which I have been doing for years and screwed up completely by always adding more debt to it.)

SO my resolution is to live to a budget.
    Pay off the debt - I think it is going to take me 7 years () - I aim to pay approx £350 a month (plus that Tesco bill next month - will be another very tight one, but I can't bear the idea of not doing it).
    Keep my job and sanity and work on my mood.
    Hug my kids and get them involved in saving money.
    Find ways to live and have fun that do not cost money.

My ex husband may be about to reduce child maintainence and also my eldest will stop getting Child Benefit soon - that plus losing the Council Tax single person rebate as my daughter hits 18 - will add up to losing about 300 per month I think. I have to somehow adjust to that change as well as keep paying off the debt.

Does anybody know what happens with Child Benefit with two children once one leaves full time education - How much does it reduce to?

Gosh, I fel like I have been really self indulgent writing this all out, and I guess it doesn't make for very original reading, but I am so hoping that keeping this forum diary will help me stay on track, and I would welcome any ideas from anyone.

Wish me luck!
Page 3
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 9th Feb 13, 10:42 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Hi Wiiling2Learn -

That is fine - I appreciate any thoughts and prompts, so please not to worry - not overstepped a mark or anythng like that. I actually work in health - yes and it is true that we are probably amongst the worst for looking after ourselves :-) like all healthcare practitioners I think - easier to tell other people how to do it!

Your pointers are good ones to - I shall have a think on it - and yes I do value the good things in my life - maybe that gets shakey at times when I wobble (plummet) with depression but on the whole I do see the good. I have the children, good friends, sadly no partner in crime (solo for nearly a decade!) I love books and cooking and walking and have a good belly laugh most days :-)

So yes my tool box for change - I have a good range - I am just really good at mislaying it at times of intense stress! I've put post notes on my fridge to remind me of the positives now!

Jox and Barbeduck - I'll have a think about it. The mobile phone insurance is what draws me to pay the monthly fee for the bank account - it covers two phones (my daughters and mione) and sad to say I am in love with my iphone - I am truly:-) I am also very good at dropping phones - excellent in fact - a life skill to be in awe of! In the past I have paid (and used) insurance for one phone at £15 per month - so the £10 for two seems a reasonable deal to me. But I will think on the choice and see what feels right, so thank you.

I've cancelled Equifax (it wasn't Experien - my mistake) and am about to do Lovefilm. Jox, you are dead right - I love the iplayers and 4oD - and Bergen and Revenge too - though also keen on The Good WIfe, and Silent Witness at the moment. Haven't caught Up All Night - will look.

On a down side of money, I've had a letter from my pension (yep - still got that going) and they are increasing the contributions (thank you Mr Cameron) - no additional benefits but just an increase - no choice in it. Blasted recession. It's part of a three year ramp up of Pension contributions - this is year two.

Jox that sounds like an awful amount of stress to be under to cause nosebleeds - I gather things are different for you now and that must feel a wonderful relief. Yes I am going to try and use this period to really change the things in my life that seem to sabotague my resilience - the money issue, work life balance, learning how to really relax, and make sure I do a bit of that every day.

So off to Lovefilm now, and then to crochet (yes crochet - I am revisiting a childhood skill to make a homely comfy blanket to cuddle on the couch.....what a weird woman I am!)

Have a peaceful weekend!
    MiMi66 01/10/17 NWCC: £4756/£4974; NW loan: £9187/£10097 - 3.4%; M&S:£5702 /£6502; VIRGIN: £6814 / £7096; Halifax: £9005 /£9485;
    =
    £35464 / £38154 Amount pd off cc £2690
    DFD 01/04/2022 52/55 payments to go!
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    Mtgage2 - £12840/ £19K Overall M'gage £87567
    Overall Mortgage and debt - £123031/(£127451 30/08/17)
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 9th Feb 13, 1:33 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    I'm no expert on bank loans but I'll give you my opinion.

The reason you didn't get a consolidation loan is probably because you likely tried for a high amount.

You are using a high amount of your available credit and although you have no defaults,CCJs etc or bad marks on your credit report they won't give you any more than around 40% of your annual wage as a loan especially as you have it all on credit cards. Consolidation rarely works in the eyes of a bank because most people don't get rid of the credit cards.

My advice would be pay off the non 0% ones as quickly as you can.

Try this also http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Put in all your cards and APRs and balances and how much you want to put towards the debt each month and it will tell you how to pay them all off as quickly as you can.

At least you have woken up and are facing the problem. With the help of people on here you will be able to do it.

Good luck
    Originally posted by conisme

Thank you to Conisme for the link -I just did the snowball calculator - interesting and food for thought!

I tells me that if I paid £420 a month in repayments I could pay off the debt by August 2017 - 3 years before my plan......that is with renewing the 0% when I can - shuffling - hmmmm - interrrrresting.......

I am going to look over my figures and see what I can do currently planning on £380 a month but if I can trim £10 a week of food and life and stuff maybe I can do that extra..... (£380 a month would get me debt free Feb 2018 the Snowball calculator says.....) Hmmmmm.

I am fearful of setting the goal too high and failing it early and losing the will to live.... not being melodramatic - just a little maybe....

Lunch and then thinking time......
    Last edited by MiMi66; 09-02-2013 at 1:52 PM.
    MiMi66 01/10/17 NWCC: £4756/£4974; NW loan: £9187/£10097 - 3.4%; M&S:£5702 /£6502; VIRGIN: £6814 / £7096; Halifax: £9005 /£9485;
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • kittycatfan
    • By kittycatfan 10th Feb 13, 5:53 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    kittycatfan
    Hi mimi66 i have read your thread with interest but well done for facing facts i owe 7000 On cc which to me is a fortune as i dont earn alot but i have a target of 3 years to pay them of , also do ebay i have started ebaying last sun and the 4 items that finished today made me £85.69 so im very happy with that good luck to you and chin up your not alone
  • wannabee_in_credit
    Just wanted to say hello, wish you good luck and good health and say that I'll be subscribing...
    Hoping to be debt free in 2015
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 12th Feb 13, 10:32 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Thanks Kittycat fan and Wannabee in Credit, really nice to know I've got 'virtual' support!

Oh, it's been busy days at work and my daughters parent evening so I have not had time to think. No slipping off the non spending wagon, but I have to say I cringe every time I go near a supermarket - it is a pain at how much things have gone up, and the potential to blow the food budget is a real risk. But I am on track with my plan, and also found out today that I can put in a self assessment for tax refund for a few small things which will help - I have some house repairs that need attending to (garage door is about to fall off I think if we have another gusty windy day).

I had a bit of a sort out on the weekend of some things - I think I will get a pile together to either ebay or sell at 50/50 shop.

Right sleep now though!
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 16th Feb 13, 12:14 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Gosh it's a long month 'til pay day to pay off any debt - but on a good note I am on track with my outgoings this month and not overspending any further - 11 days to pay day and then a little chunk will come off the debt.

I have a job interview on Tuesday - nervous about it - it's a role with a lot more responsibility than I have right now and I am not entirely certain that I am right for it. The salary is a big more which will help balance out loss of income over the next year or so. So we'll see.

Still ticking along though, trying not to worry and focusing on what I can do rather than what I can't.
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • couldsavemore
    • By couldsavemore 16th Feb 13, 12:26 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    couldsavemore
    just wanted to say im following your thread and wish you well. I dont have any advice right now (other people on here are far more knowledgeable than I am) but along with others can try and give you morale support.

good luck with everything
    You can if you think you can .
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 1st Mar 13, 11:37 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Well, what a few weeks....
    The interview went well but unfortunately I didn'tget the post - all the other candiadtes had pulled ouot which I found out the night before theinterview and sort of freaked ouot a bit - thinking 'what do they know about the job that I don't!' and I guess my uncertainty showed as the feed back after a pnael interview, a panel with young people, and a presnetation to a mixed audience, the only feedback I got was that the young people's panel went very well as did the presentation, (I showed leadership apparently!) but in the formal panel they said that I had undersold myself.....I could kick myself harshly - which I did for about 24 hours, then started counting blessings. I guess in reality going for an interview when having had the flu, started treatment for depression and had to face life financial crisis just the week befoere , may have been a bit too much :-)
    So I have thrown myself into my job, and now it's pay day and I have paid off my small chunk of debt - £380 plus £455 for my using credit card (which I do every month) and paid off my overdraft of £250 using the payment free month's cash for Council Tax and Water Bill to do it. So still very very strapped for cash, but a bit more in the right direction....
    This month I am hoping to not build up the same amount at all on my using credit card - maybe half of last month , and no overdraft use if I can (the last week of the month is always a bit of a monster for me, but I shall try very hard to keep to my budget. I am pleased so far, though I know it is early days. If it seems like I can get through the month I shall pay that extra £40 off one of the cards, and try for the £420 a month rather than £380.

Sadly next month I will be hit with an increase in pension contirbutions (thank you for that Mr Cameron), and also I do oncall, and in the service cuts they have reduced our payments to fraction of what we are worth - £33 for a full week of being on call from 5pm to 9am the following morning Monday to Friday , plus the full weekend - for the whole week - £33 for the lot before tax - just crazy - only in health, and we have no choice as we have to go on the rota. No additional sums if called out - just the basic rate. I can't see doctors or dentists accepting that but nurses are meant to smile and talk about having a vocation - which ironically and without sacarsam - really is the case for me - I've nursed my whole life and am passionate about getting it right and good quality care - but equally a fare wage for the job is still a must.

Anyway I am grumbling...... Truly I am grateful for having a job and being able to support my children and I am learning how to live within my means....

Thanks to everyone who has offered me advice and kind words of support this last month - It really hashelped such a lot and kept me on track.
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • tealady
    • By tealady 2nd Mar 13, 6:53 AM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 3,242 Thanks
    tealady
    Hi
    Re the bank account how about looking into the Halifax, if you pay in over £1000 per month and have at least 2 (I think) direct debits, they give you a fiver. Not much in the scheme of things I know but as Mr T says every little helps.
    Also you may get cashback for switching.
    Personally I would look into the insurance you get with your bank and see if you can get better deals elsewhere. You may also get cashback on those as well.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
  • Canady
    Hi
    Hi MiMi
    Just following your progress and I think your going a great job, about to climb my own mountain and will follow yours with interest, I have to sort my mountain out and then post on here for advice and support
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 12th Mar 13, 10:59 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Thanks Canady and Tealady. Your most welcome Canady to follow my diary. I hope your debt free journey gets going smoothly - it is so worth doing the forum diary as a way to keep your goals explicit and shared. I thinks helped to hold the line when it comes to spending less. I am looking forward to pay day to make the next payment off my debt. It will bring me under £21000 which will be a good step! Long journey but one I am determined to take.

I don't seem to be able to find the time to do eBay for my small pile of things to sell. Starting to think about doing a car boot instead. I think working full time and juggling family life seems to leave too little room for some things. Though I am debating trying to do a couple of extra shifts a month to try and get some extra pennies in for the summer and Christmas so I don't build up debt at those times. I looked back over the last 9 years in which I've accrued my debt and realised that those two times of the year are the peak times I get big credit card balances. So if I can get a little money behind me it will help to not resort to cards.
    My end of year goal is to get the debt down to under £18000. I thi k I can do it. Certainly good to feel like I am heading in the right direction!!
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • Thistlewhistle
    • By Thistlewhistle 13th Mar 13, 9:05 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 7,225 Thanks
    Thistlewhistle
    Hi MiMi,

Reading your thread with interest and I'd like to subscribe to follow your progress if that's ok. I'm trying to pay off my credit cards too. Not as much as yours but still a millstone!!

You've been so brave to face your issues. Don't berate yourself for falling foul of it. You're not the only one!

Keep fighting! Now I've started, I'm sort of enjoying this paying off lark! It might take some time to break free but you'll get there and you'll enjoy the ride as everyone on here is so positive and supportive.

Your status says you need a hug so here's a cyber one!!!

TW
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: £90200
    Mortgage at end 11/2017: £72436 paid £17764 (19.69%)
    MFD: Original:05/2042 Projected:04/2031 saving 133 months = 11yr 1 mth
    Car Finance: £8225 : £7535 (8.39% paid off)
    CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): £5640 : £5324 (5.60% paid off)

Age of Money at 30/11/2017 = 34 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 3rd Apr 13, 7:10 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Hi All

Another pay day and another set of payments made! Still very broke and now considering adding extra work to the list of To do's. I don't relish extra shifts as the full time job is exhausting but needs must.
    So the debt is under £21000:-) yay!
    What a haul this is but I am determined!
    Last edited by MiMi66; 03-04-2013 at 7:11 AM. Reason: Mistyped
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • Jox
    • By Jox 3rd Apr 13, 11:01 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    Jox
    Hi Mimi66, well done on tackling the debt, is there anything you can trim off your day-to-day outgoings, satellite tv, buying lunches, buying coffees etc? That money can go towards the debts.
    Sounds like you're making good progress
  • clayre1979
    Hi Mimi66,

I've also had a lightbulb moment this week so you're not alone. My Husband and I are in for the long haul going forward with almost £40k in debt to clear....I really wish I had something to show for it, but like you there isn't really much, just life's circumstances getting in the way!

Good luck, I'm hoping that being on here will help encourage me to keep going on the dark days!
    Debt April 2013: £38,282.35
    Currently: Setting up a DMP and getting positive

Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • LannieDuck
    • By LannieDuck 3rd Apr 13, 1:51 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 6,978 Thanks
    LannieDuck
    I don't seem to be able to find the time to do eBay for my small pile of things to sell. Starting to think about doing a car boot instead. I think working full time and juggling family life seems to leave too little room for some things.
    Originally posted by MiMi66
    Ebay does take quite a bit of time, but it's definitely worth it. (I made £400 in three months from stuff that I didn't want. I could kick myself at the amount of stuff I've given to charity shops over the years that I should have tried selling first!). Would your 18 year old be willing to take on the job? Maybe you could 'pay' her 10% of the profits?

Otherwise, a carboot sale would take less time/effort, but I think prices do tend to be very low.

If you mostly have children's things to sell, maybe you could take a table at your local NCT nearly new sale?
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 14th Apr 13, 6:50 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Hi Clayre,

Thanks for your vote of confidence and you to Jox and Lannie Duck,
    Good luck with the at debt payback too - I know it can take years but better to get started and evntually the light will shine through as you see the end of the tunnel.

The debt is slowly coming down in the right direction and I am trying to live more wisely when it comes to money - no necessarily tight tight but a lot tighter than ever before. I am aiming to pay back about £3000 a year, which when added to waht I am now not racking up in debt (on average £4000 a year) makes a £7000 lifestyle cut - I was spending money that wasn't mine.

No satellite TV to cut I am afraid, those things went last summer (and we don't miss them at all - Love iplayer and freeview!) Gave up bought lunches and never been a coffee out fiend - only very occasionally maybe once a month if that. I guess my wekness is being a foodie - I get slightly overexcited by organic vegetables and jam....so sad.....but I guess it is good I really don't have a massive high end habit - cookwear maybe.... a bit guilty there. Hasn't food gone up and up and up in price!

I have managed to also save £900 over the year - fortunately as I have a £300 car bill which I can at least pay in cash. I am also going to fund a camping trip in a wigwam in the summer for the kids - Shropshire here we come! So it is good to have a balance of paying back, not spending and also having something fun to look forward to that I can pay in cash for and not rack up debt. I cannot remember thelast time I had a holiday that I didn't end up balance transferring the costs to the monster debt. I feel pretty proud.

I know some people would say no holidays while dealing with debt, however I made the decision that as my kids are teens, and my daughter will move on next year to Uni, I really want to make the most of the time we are a family in this way - life changes and I am sure having an adult daughter will be fab, but I am intending to enjoy this summer with her. Mind you I think she is going to enjoy the summer more - she is off to Italy with friends and then to Germany with college - largely funded by her 4 hours a week part time job while she's been at college and a little bit from a childhood savings acoount I started for her when she was 2 - The bulk of it is for uni padding - not much but a bit to ease those years. She'll be joining the masses getting student loans and maintenance loans I am afraid. She is a good saver (may be the answer a little to why I have debt me thinks) and squirrels away money ever so well.

Righht off to update my totals - I am down to £20818 - I am 10 weeks off being under £20K!!

Good luck everyone reading this who needs a boost too!
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 14th Apr 13, 6:55 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Oh and ebay and Amazon! I have listed things there today that we hope to sell - this is specifically for my son to buy some sports things with the proceeds - I am really trying to live by the motto of if we don't have the money we can't buy anything else - so he is selling games and cd's etc that are no longer wanted. I am thinking that the money from the sales will be valued by the children while I throw all my spare cash at the cards.
    =
    Mtgage1 - £74727/ £107K
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 14th Apr 13, 8:18 PM
    • 4,948 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    theoretica
    Can you set your children to doing the selling? You would need to be responsible and supervise as I don't think you are permitted a paypal account at under 18, but either paying them to do it, or when the money goes on their stuff anyway this might save you time?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • 32b3in2013
    • By 32b3in2013 14th Apr 13, 9:24 PM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 18,134 Thanks
    32b3in2013
    Hi MiMi66

Just read your diary and you sound really on top of things, and positive. I have subscribed, and will come along with you for the ride if that's OK?

I can really recommend ebay, the money soon adds up.

Good luck

32b3
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    SPC10 #125 - £851.81
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

3,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin