Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 5th Feb 13, 8:48 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback
    • 5th Feb 13, 8:48 PM
    MSE's Cheap Energy Club: Discuss & feedback 5th Feb 13 at 8:48 PM
    This is the official MSE thread specifically to discuss

Cheap Energy Club

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 18
    • Mkd
    • By Mkd 15th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mkd
    Mkd
    This is not Fair, it does not include Northern Ireland for comparison.
    Why not, and why are we left out?????????
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 15th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    This is not Fair, it does not include Northern Ireland for comparison.
    Why not, and why are we left out?????????
    Originally posted by Mkd
    Perhaps this <MSE article> may help you.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 31st Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    simonineaston
    I've just moved & rang the existing suppliers to move away from the standard tariff as quickly as poss. I am now on E.on's "Cap & Track 1 year 24/10/2017" tariffs for both leccy & gas - why can't I find them listed in the tariff options on the Energy Club website?
    If, as seems entirely possible, it's simply not possible for the Energy Club to list every tariff offered by every energy provider, then how can I learn of cheaper alternatives?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 31st Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I've just moved & rang the existing suppliers to move away from the standard tariff as quickly as poss. I am now on E.on's "Cap & Track 1 year 24/10/2017" tariffs for both leccy & gas - why can't I find them listed in the tariff options on the Energy Club website?
    If, as seems entirely possible, it's simply not possible for the Energy Club to list every tariff offered by every energy provider, then how can I learn of cheaper alternatives?
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    It seems to be a variable tariff with a one year contract. Seems a bit dodgy to me in a climate of rising prices.
    • Mog73
    • By Mog73 1st Nov 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mog73
    Problem working out usage
    Hi,

I have been trying to work out cheaper deals for switching but nothing seems to be cheaper than British Gas dual fuel?

We rent our home and have BG standard dual fuel tariff, we have solar panels on the roof as itís a new build, the panels work by supplying energy during the day so we draw less from the grid, they do not store or send energy back to the grid, however we pay around 600 to 650 per year for our energy bills and no other company seems to get anywhere near this price, when doing comparisons I just enter the usage and cost but there doesnít appear to be any reference to wether we have panels or not and would this make a difference to their suppliers costs.

Any advice would be appreciated as I donít feel I am getting a true comparison.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Nov 17, 8:39 AM
    • 17,465 Posts
    • 11,690 Thanks
    molerat
    BG are not cheap so you must be doing something wrong, they are not even the cheapest of the "big 6". All you need to do, and the only thing that is accurate, is enter your annual kWh use for both fuels, as simple as that. The only thing that matters is how much energy you take from the grid.
    Last edited by molerat; 01-11-2017 at 8:42 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 1st Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Any advice would be appreciated as I don’t feel I am getting a true comparison.
    Originally posted by Mog73
    I agree that you must be doing something wrong if BG standard variable tariff is coming out cheapest. The fact that your usage is reduced because of the solar panels has no bearing on the comparisons.

It may help us to help you if you could post your annual usage (kWh) for each fuel.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 01-11-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 1st Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi,

I have been trying to work out cheaper deals for switching but nothing seems to be cheaper than British Gas dual fuel?

We rent our home and have BG standard dual fuel tariff, we have solar panels on the roof as itís a new build, the panels work by supplying energy during the day so we draw less from the grid, they do not store or send energy back to the grid, however we pay around 600 to 650 per year for our energy bills and no other company seems to get anywhere near this price, when doing comparisons I just enter the usage and cost but there doesnít appear to be any reference to wether we have panels or not and would this make a difference to their suppliers costs.

Any advice would be appreciated as I donít feel I am getting a true comparison.
    As others have said, solar panels will reduce your consumption depending on how much of the generated energy you actually use. I have a 2.15kWp array which generates about 1950kWhs a year. We manage to consume about 1200kWhs of this free electricity. Prior to getting our panels, I used to use a projected annual consumption of 3600kWhs an annum. I now use an annual projected usage of 2400kWhs when looking for the cheapest electricity deal.

I hope this makes sense.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 1st Nov 17, 11:54 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I have been trying to work out cheaper deals for switching but nothing seems to be cheaper than British Gas dual fuel? . . . Any advice would be appreciated as I donít feel I am getting a true comparison.
    It occurs to me that your comparison settings may be only comparing tariffs from your current supplier.

Check to see that you are comparing the whole market.
    • hilljd00
    • By hilljd00 1st Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    hilljd00
    British Gas is cheaper for me too if I want WHD. The cheapest is Avro which has no exit fees to leave. First Utility is cheaper with cashback + WHD but their reviews aren't grear.

Apparently I'm classed as a high user:

5000 - Electric
    500 - Gas

* With leaks.
    • hilljd00
    • By hilljd00 4th Dec 17, 7:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    hilljd00
    Update - Checked again this evening and Bristol Energy is the cheapest + they are apart of the WHD scheme which makes even cheaper.

Thank you
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 4th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Apparently I'm classed as a high user:
    5000 - Electric
    500 - Gas
    . . .
    Originally posted by hilljd00
    You're classed as a high electricity user but if your annual gas usage is 500 kWh then you are a very low gas user (typical yearly gas usage is 12,000 kWh per year).

Are you sure your yearly consumption in kWh is as you posted?
    • fryedslyce
    • By fryedslyce 5th Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    fryedslyce
    Energy club doesn't work for me, when I put in my details it gives the below message

"For total accuracy it's best to enter new usage figures in Kilowatt Hours. It's no biggie, but if you enter the amount paid we must make assumptions about the rate you were on when those bills were racked up, so it's less accurate."

Even though I did enter the figures in Kilowatt Hours.
    • fryedslyce
    • By fryedslyce 5th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    fryedslyce
    "2 questions haven't been completed correctly.

Errors are marked with ! below"

But no questions are marked with a ! below, all questions are answered.

Useless website.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 2,325 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Even though I did enter the figures in Kilowatt Hours.
    Originally posted by fryedslyce
    On occasion, I have entered kWh figures whilst the Annual or Monthly cost option has been selected. It's an easy mistake to make.

Clear your Internet History and try again would be my suggestion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,426Posts Today

8,311Users online

Martin's Twitter