Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 5th Feb 13, 4:11 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    Green Deal MSE Guide Discussion
    • 5th Feb 13, 4:11 PM
    Green Deal MSE Guide Discussion 5th Feb 13 at 4:11 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Green Deal guide.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:44 PM.
Page 63
  • POOTERMAN
    Guys can someone please help with some info please - I was told today by a Green Deal provider that the money released by the government on the 16th of March has not been made available yet!!

Is this true and has anyone else heard this?

I have a green deal assessor visiting me this week at a cost of £180 and I'm starting to panic as to whether I've chosen a dodgy green deal provider as my understanding is that the money HAS been released?

Is my green deal provider lying to me or making excuses?

PLEASE help!
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 16th Apr 15, 11:36 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    What a catalogue of unhappy Green Deal tales!
    WE have made some progress since my first posting a couple of months ago abut the difficulties of finding providers in the West Midlands. We ended up with only one who responded to our enquiry; they came and surveyed and then provided very confusing quotes - five or six for three jobs - but that was the correct documentation for our application on 17 March.

After about three weeks the voucher arrived and we re-started discussion with that provider. But I'm no less confused about the whole thing and am now struggling on talking with neighbours about what they think of the works (mainly external insulation of a very large blank wall and photovoltaic panels on two roofs) and trying to find out from the Council whether or not we need to apply for planning permission.

We have absolutely NO idea how good that one provider is and how accurate their quotations are, but we see no alternative to going ahead and hoping it's all worth while - or dropping out and losing the £150 survey fee.

Green deal sounds great on paper - but none of the firms involved seem to have read the paper....

Cheers, all - thanks for the chance to get this off my chest - Eric
    • lestergun
    • By lestergun 17th Apr 15, 7:17 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lestergun
    Hi,

Is the Green Deal scheme a loan? I thought it was not and am finding conflicting info' online.

I thought I'd pay for some home improvement (e.g. double glazing) and then the government would pay some of the cost. Now I think that I pay all the cost, the government pays me some of the cost and then I pay the government back via savings made on my heating costs.

Is this correct?
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 17th Apr 15, 9:43 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    As I understand it, there are some works you pay for and then get some refund; others for which you can have a cheap loan (though all loans are cheap nowadays); and some where you make savings on your bills to pay for the work or part of it.

I've not found a website which explains all this clearly, including any of the government's ones....

Good luck! Eric
    • lestergun
    • By lestergun 18th Apr 15, 10:16 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lestergun
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info'.

Ben
  • alanap
    Still waiting...
    Is anyone else still waiting for a decision from the HIF?
    I submitted my application on March 18th, was told 2 weeks ago that it would take 21 working days which, expired last week friday. Calling yesterday, they were extremely unhelpful and could not tell me whether it would be a matter of weeks or days. I'm not sure how much longer to wait.

I'm in the situation where I'm desparately in need of getting the work done, and am not really sure whether it is worth my while waiting for the voucher anyway.
    It seems that the installer I found subcontracts the work to someone who again subcontracts the work out so I think I will end up losing any savings in the profit chain.

Confused as to what to do.
  • alanap
    EricDeeson, would you be able to let me know who the installer you found in the W. Mids was?
    Do you feel their price is reasonable?
    I am also in the W. Mids and only found 1 installer to give me a price.
    • darrenj1
    • By darrenj1 30th Jul 15, 10:40 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    darrenj1
    Is anyone else still waiting for a decision from the HIF?
    I submitted my application on March 18th, was told 2 weeks ago that it would take 21 working days which, expired last week friday. Calling yesterday, they were extremely unhelpful and could not tell me whether it would be a matter of weeks or days. I'm not sure how much longer to wait.

I'm in the situation where I'm desparately in need of getting the work done, and am not really sure whether it is worth my while waiting for the voucher anyway.
    It seems that the installer I found subcontracts the work to someone who again subcontracts the work out so I think I will end up losing any savings in the profit chain.

Confused as to what to do.
    Originally posted by alanap
    Presume you are sorted now, but this week, I submitted an application and got the voucher on the same day!

I was surprised.
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 30th Jul 15, 12:02 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    The whole thing is very dodgy, with aspects I've noted in this thread earlier.

Specifically, I wish I could help - I got a voucher but can't use it as the neighbours were unhappy at our pan for external wall insulation.... But it's not transferable, alas!

Best of luck - Eric
  • ikalaj
    Be aware that the green deal is coming to an end so make sure you don't fall into the trap of bogus companies who attempt to get payments for assessment but are not really authorized to do work under the green deal anymore. I have has a bad experience with EPC Green Ltd of 2 Wilson St, Derby DE1 1PG who did not give me any pre-contract information and they did not allow for a call-off period. According to the energy saving advice service ESAS they are not authorized to replace boilers and heating system under the green deal. The green deal is coming to an end and they have started trading only this year!!. They have been filed to the Trading Standard for further investigation and legal actions are being taken for a miss-sold product. In the mean time Avoid, Avoid and avoid them and any other similar entities!. If you want to contact for more information just email: ikalaj@yahoo.co.uk.
    • EricDeeson
    • By EricDeeson 14th Aug 15, 7:57 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    EricDeeson
    Alas, this isn't at all surprising - this whole business seems to be littered with scam potential, partly because of what seems to be the poor organisation of the scheme and the website by the Govt. Interestingly I didn't come across the firm ikalaj mentions, though I searched a number of times in the late winter for firms offering Green Deal services in the Midlands.
    The sudden loss of Green Deal means I couldn't use my voucher and therefore couldn't have the refund of the assessment etc. (On the other hand we did manage to have solar panels installed with a payback of six years before the subsidy fell markedly.)

Best wishes, everybody - Eric
    • Top-ranking Bug
    • By Top-ranking Bug 17th Dec 15, 3:04 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Top-ranking Bug
    I have been getting spam calls this week with a recorded message telling me I HAVE to have a Green Deal Assessment and that it is a Government requirement. The message goes on to tell me to press 1 to make an appointment. I hung up and googled this after getting the first call.

I am really worried that people might get suckered and end up having to pay for the Assessment with no fall-back to get a refund now that the Government has withdrawn funding.

I don't understand why companies are still pushing this deal.

The number that the calls are made from is 08438840030, with the most recent being at lunchtime today. I have filled in an ICO form to complain and I am hoping that people may read this thread
    I incurred the debt, I repaid the debt - all of it! DMP started with CCCS 20/07/2007 Was £32,735. Paid off all my creditors (June 2013) 7 yrs ahead of original DFD.
    PPI claims won against Barclays x 2/ Egg x 1/ LV x . PPI claims rejected and then upheld Barclays/Egg x 2

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 14th Mar 16, 6:26 PM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    external wall insulation let through twice as much heat as cavity walls a rough guide around 45% but they can be insulated from outside walls and will cut heating costs considerably. If the house was built before 1925, its most probably have solid wall rather than cavity walls. Cavity walls have two layers of brick with little gap in between them unlikely solid walls have no such gap and as a result they let more heat through therefore warmth cannot be retained but the good news is solid walls can be insulated from the outside. For more infoormation visit spam.co.uk
    Originally posted by Apexgreen
    - click the spam button folks please
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 14th Mar 16, 6:28 PM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 4,740 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    cavity wall insulation will reduce all the heat lost in an un-insulated home is lost through the walls. Cavity wall insulation is one of the best ways to reduce the amount of energy you need to heat your home. It could save you around £115* a year on your fuel bills. It also lower the carbon emission from your home by around 610kg* and improve the energy rating on energy performance certificate.
    spam.com
    Originally posted by Apexgreen
    - still [today] spamming MSE, click the spam button folks please
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • Roguehelms2013
    • By Roguehelms2013 17th May 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Roguehelms2013
    I was stupid enough to get taken in by the Green Deal in December 2013. They at best mis-sold it to me. It is now in the hands of the Financial Ombudsman and I am awaiting the outcome of their findings.
    The amount of stress and worry this has caused me cannot be explained in words.
    I just want to point out the advice to get in touch with the Green Deal Ombudsman regarding complaints does not apply if the Green Deal provider has gone into liquidation, as in my case. In the words of the Ombudsman they will not deal with it as they will not get paid! The whole thing has been one great big con!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,249Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin