Has the DVLA accidentally given me a bike licence?

rev_henry
rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Just had my licence back as I've changed address. I've previously read about people having categories added or disappearing during this process and wonder if its happened to me.

Before I explain I should say that the photocard format has changed slightly again due to some EU nonsense.

My card licence now says the following, as well as all the normal car stuff:
that I have category A entitlement, no 122 code to say I need a CBT.

that I have category AM (one of the moped categories, of which there are now about 3!), code to say with CBT.

that I have fkpq, CBT endorsement.

Then on my counterpart it says that:
I have categories A, BE and GH provisionally.

The counterpart seems normal, but I don't understand what's going on on the card. The dates for the new weird entitlements starting also seem entirely random as well, not related to my birthday or anything. So does anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rev_henry wrote: »
    The dates for the new weird entitlements starting also seem entirely random as well, not related to my birthday or anything. So does anyone know what's going on?

The dates of the entitlements should run from the date you took the relevant test through until the day before your 70th birthday.
  • rev_henry
    Ah actually yes, category AM starts about a week ago, I presume when that category came into existence, the others are when I passed my car test obviously, then the cat A is just a random date in Jan!
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    rev_henry wrote: »
    Ah actually yes, category AM starts about a week ago, I presume when that category came into existence, the others are when I passed my car test obviously, then the cat A is just a random date in Jan!

You need to explain your self as i don't even understand your point sorry:D
  • rev_henry
    jobdone1 wrote: »
    You need to explain your self as i don't even understand your point sorry:D
    My category AM entitlement began about a week ago, I presume when this new category was created. The others are fine and make sense.

But the category A full bike entitlement has just appeared on a random date in January.

So have they accidentally given me a bike licence?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As the counterpart states you have provisional entitlement for a motorbike, the only difference in the rules is you're no longer required to complete a CBT within 2 years. I believe you can now continue along as a learner until the date the provisional entitlement expires.
  • rev_henry
    neilmcl wrote: »
    As the counterpart states you have provisional entitlement for a motorbike, the only difference in the rules is you're no longer required to complete a CBT within 2 years. I believe you can now continue along as a learner until the date the provisional entitlement expires.
    I've never ridden a bike in my life. So CBT has been scrapped and I could just go and buy a bike and stick L plates on it?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Actually I think I got that slightly wrong. You still need a CBT but I don't think you now have to take the full test within 2 years, you can stay a learner rider until the provisional entitlement ends. Something like that. I don't ride but I'm sure someone will be along to explain better.
  • rev_henry
    So does anyone know whats going on then?
  • rev_henry wrote: »
    So does anyone know whats going on then?
    Without seeing a copy of the licence (card and counterpart), i'd guess no.

If it's just a new thing, perhaps not even then.
  • Need my licence for work tomorrow so just dug it out.

In section 9, on the front of the photocard, I've got A,B,BE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p. I've passed my bike test.

On the rear of it, A has my pass date and valid to date. Only codes for glasses.

On the Counterpart, the only thing is a Provisional Entitlement for GH, valid from my 17th Birthday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure