Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt-free Wannabe Challenges > Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread
Views: 6,143
# 21
kittiej
Old 03-02-2013, 5:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hi mildredalien - don't forget to share any more of your yummy recipes we loooove food on this thread
Sealed pot challenge member number 18
Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
"It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
1 debt v 100 days 2000
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
PositiveBalance
Old 03-02-2013, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Count me in, guys: I have a terrible habit of buying lunch most days and it is SUCH a waste of cash! I have counted twenty working days this month and I managed to bring lunch to wor on Friday so I am already on a roll. I think I probably spend about 3 a day on lunch, meaning I could save up to 60 if I bring my lunch and I am going to be brassic this month so needs must...

Today I made a loaf of seeded bread in the breadmaker and a big slow cooker full of soup. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow?!

I may try to put 3 in a jar for each day I don't buy lunch. When I see it for real my eyes might not quite believe it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PositiveBalance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
365days
Old 03-02-2013, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ok, so which one of you swines emptied out my local aldi of their 39p flavoured cous cous......come on...own up!
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
juno
Old 03-02-2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveBalance View Post
Today I made a loaf of seeded bread in the breadmaker and a big slow cooker full of soup. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow?!
tuna salad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveBalance View Post
I may try to put 3 in a jar for each day I don't buy lunch. When I see it for real my eyes might not quite believe it!
That's the scary thing. Even going on lower estimates, I must have been spending around 60 pounds (new laptop, have no idea where poundsign is as all keys are mislabelled, but my old one died and this was free, so...) and that's just shocking, really. Especially as if I spent 3pounds it would be on a "meal deal" which comes with a drink I didn't particularly want; I can't drink cold fizzy drinks and we have tea/coffee provided which I drink most of the time, or I have a bottle of squash in my locker anyway.

I went to B+M and found some small cans of tuna lunch - a bit like the John West's Tuna Light Lunch, but a lot cheaper at 69p. They're in French and called "salade de thon". The one in the red box is tuna with something a bit liked baked beans and carrots, but it's suprisingly nice. The blue box is even better - it's tuna with olives and other veg in a vinagrette type sauce. Would be nice for a change, probably, but they are only small so you'd need a snack thing to go with them. They did have another one but I didn't buy it.

I love B+M; I came out with 3 huge bags full - including a scented candle and a present for my bf of a "paint your own rocks" kit (comes with rocks - they weren't even nice specially selected rocks, they were just out of a garden!) - for about 20pounds.
Sealed pot challenge #377
Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
kittiej
Old 03-02-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, so which one of you swines emptied out my local aldi of their 39p flavoured cous cous......come on...own up!
Not guilty m'lord.

Oooo juno , I haven't been to B&M for ages. I might need to take a trip to see what they've got

I stocked up on crisps in Morrisons today and bought the 20 own brand individually wrapped chocky bickies as well. I had meant to look for the Cadbury cream eggs - the ones with the 2 spoons in the proper egg boxes. I asked at customer services to see if they had them because they weren't in the sweet aisle to be informed they are with the eggs! Doh I should have realised I've asked the lovely husband of mine to pick some up tomorrow (he can spend his money )
1 debt v 100 days 2000
# 26
mildredalien
Old 03-02-2013, 9:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiej View Post
Hi mildredalien - don't forget to share any more of your yummy recipes we loooove food on this thread
I love food too Although I do have a habit of getting stuck in a rut - usually soup + roll + fruit or yoghurt in the winter. If I buy soups on offer it usually works out as under 1 a day, but I could get it for even less if I made my own soup! Must learn how to make pea soup (I've got a feeling it's just peas and stock??)

Savings target: 7513/15000
Sealed Pot Challenge 7: 2014 - #085

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mildredalien For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
kittiej
Old 03-02-2013, 9:42 PM

Hang on I've just been looking at a pea soup recipe

http://vicki-kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/...ing-world.html

Here you are
1 debt v 100 days 2000
# 28
mildredalien
Old 03-02-2013, 9:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thank you!

Savings target: 7513/15000
Sealed Pot Challenge 7: 2014 - #085

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mildredalien For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
juno
Old 03-02-2013, 9:58 PM

I'd love to make my own soup and things, but I'm trying to be easy so as I get into the habit. I think iof I try to do everything at once I'll just not take lunch at all. It can't be just me who has those days where you think "flip, I have 5 seconds to grab lunch and get out the door!"?

So hopefully if I get into the habit of taking lunch then I can work on what I'm taking, because if I don't have time to make it I'll still have whatever.
Sealed pot challenge #377
Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
kittiej
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 PM

juno I have started a small stash in my work drawer (a tip I got from others on here) so I know that if I ever have a can't be bothered day then there is always something at work to fall back on. OK so a pot noodle and kit-kats might not make the earth move but at least I won't spend money.
1 debt v 100 days 2000
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Betty Crumble
Old 04-02-2013, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi guys, 16 working days for me this month as i'm off next week yay.

Friday i am declaring a half day as I took chilli and forgot the rice so had to buy a pkt, today was the usual packed lunch. Off to update sig.
Littlewoods 10 Very BNPL 234.42
My total debt is 7242.32244.42
Extra payment a week: This week:
Total to date: 1279.29 not incl this week
#33 NOvember challenge
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Betty Crumble For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
babes21
Old 04-02-2013, 9:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello everyone, I did well in January so hoping to do well this month too. I took my own lunch to work again today; scrambled eggs on toast with black pepper.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
ChopinonaBudget
Old 05-02-2013, 9:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Never far from a piano. Oh, look, there's one over there!

Crikey I'm boring. Vegemite sandwich, banana, couple of apples, packet of crisps, flask of tea, value yoghurt if there's one in the house, another banana if there isn't.

I work from home 5 days a week and 1 day out, so it would be silly to eat out Monday to Friday... (Saturday I make the effort to take a packed lunch though)

Oh, and um, I have a 300 lunchbox, with "tonight we dine in hell!" scrawled all over it hmmmm. I hide it under my coat from the younger kids.......
Overdraft 150 Smile PAID! Natwest 679 M&S 2,347 Halifax 2,665 Nationwide 5,579 Mum 5,390 Library Fines 21
Tax Fund 288 House Fund 170 Yearly Spends Fund 65 Emergency Fund ISA 191
Long Hauler #325 DFW Nerd #1448
"In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChopinonaBudget For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
babes21
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Eggs and Toast again for me today.... Will definitely take something different for tomorrow and the rest of the week. I like them though so it isn't anything of a chore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
lbnblbnb
Old 05-02-2013, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had another bread dough pasty today, really nice. I have some frozen leftover curry and rice so when the boredom hits withe never ending pasties I will take that instead.
Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
19th June -18th July 91:15/150 61%

Save 12,000 in 2013 No. 188 7382/12,000 62%
2013 Frugal Living Challenge
Debt free October 2012
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lbnblbnb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Candlewick
Old 05-02-2013, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello to you all

I have been good so far, 3 days out of 3!

I am going to take a Baxters Mediterranean Tomato soup tomorrow with some crusty bread and cheese because I am feeling lazy tonight and am bored with pasta.

Enjoy your evening.

CW
November Challenge: NSDs: 7 / 14
(Oct 11 / 16, Sep 13 / 15, Aug 15 / 15, Jul 14 / 14, Jun 17 / 12, May 13 / 23, Apr 17 / 15, Mar 14 / 15, Feb 21 / 15, Jan 15 / 15)

Gave up smoking - 01 / 01 / 13 (3rd time lucky!) - Day 321
Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Candlewick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
PositiveBalance
Old 05-02-2013, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Today was another 3 to add to the pot. Tomorrow will be soup or houmous on pitta bread with salad. I haven't decided which yet, but the pitta bread sounds lush. Yumyumyumomnom!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PositiveBalance For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Twiggy_34
Old 05-02-2013, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You can definitely count me in this month as well. I've really enjoyed participating so far, and am pleased to report that I haven't bought lunch on a work day at all so far this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365days View Post
It wasn't me as I don't have one nearby, but this did make me chuckle as I decided to buy 3 bags of cous cous when I went shopping at the weekend as I'm getting through it so much faster with these challenges!

I desperately need to find some low fat/calorie lunchbox options though as my waistline is expanding and my work trousers won't survive much longer at this rate. It's so difficult being as fussy as I am. Mind you, it probably doesn't help that I've constantly got snacks in the house now, something I hardly ever had before. I've been grazing on them a lot recently and as I'm monitoring the prices I keep telling myself "well it's ok, they were only 11p each...".

On the plus side however, for the FIRST TIME EVER I have used an entire jar of mayo!!! That is only thanks to this challenge and dedication to doing packed lunches and trying not to waste any food in the cupboard/fridge. Writing the date I opened it on the lid also helped me to keep track of when it needed to be used by.
12k in 2014 #048 2500/2500 2 Savers Club 2014 #59 TOTAL: 184 (2013 total = 160)
Mortgage over-payments of 66.39 a month commenced 1.2.2013 6309 of debt cleared in 2012/13
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twiggy_34 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
FatVonD
Old 06-02-2013, 8:25 PM

I nearly had a wobble today, I was craving a tuna sandwich and even has my coat on to go to buy one but then I took it off and had crackers and cheese instead so (aside from my beer and a burger day last Friday) I'm doing well!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatVonD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
helejenkins1
Old 07-02-2013, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had a bit of a dull moment!! Been thinking the last post had been a bit quiet and today I've clicked that there will be a new thread.

So I've been quiet but still going strong. Managed to get through with one fail day but going strong so far this month :-)

I madea lovely noodle dish with spring onions, grated carrot and prawns on Tuesday, dressed in soy sauce. was delious.
10 a day challenge July 2014 73.64/310
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helejenkins1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>