Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    NinjaSavingKat
    The Ultimate February Challenge
    • 29th Jan 13, 3:56 PM
    The Ultimate February Challenge 29th Jan 13 at 3:56 PM
    The Ultimate February Challenge; 28 days Later!!!
    Take Only What You Need

We have all heard of or watched the zombie film 28 Days Later. A man wakes up in a deserted, litter strewn and creepy London. He realizes the world has been taken over by the walking dead so he runs. What does he take with him - only what he needs! He meets with others and they travel together, protecting and encouraging one another and what do they take with them - only what they need!!!

I am on a journey! Every month a new challenge arises with barbarians ready to take on this challenge and join me on my quest of debt freedom. I am fighting the great fight against the marketing of merchandise I supposedly need, of conglomerate food prices and the ever present girly urge to buy something new and shiny!!!

So join me dear reader, follow my rules, support your comrades and clear those debts. The theme this month is this; take only what you need! Afterall it’s only 28 days?

It started as rioting. But right from the beginning you knew this was different. Because it was happening in small villages and market towns. And then it wasn't on the TV any more. It was in the street outside. It was coming in through your windows. It was a virus. An infection!”
    This infection = SPENDING!

There are rules to follow but you need to create and discover your own self-restraint, your own desire to succeed and your own strength. This month’s challenge is a little bit different to others that have been posted in the past few months.

We will use “Spend Free Day” = SFD to indicate your lack of spending on a particular day. Mark up your name on this thread and you will be added with a number for “UFC”. If you are wanting to lurk and cheer-lead please do. If this challenge doesn’t suit you please be aware it is VERY difficult to incorporate rules that suit everyone. Perhaps this challenge isn’t for you.

1. This challenge will commence on the 1st February 2013 @ Midnight and finish on the 28th February 2013 @ Midnight.
    2. In light of some needing to avail of yellow sticker promotions when they are immediately available (me included) there is NO specifically required SFD. You are NOT tied into only doing your spending on a particular day. But if by chance you DO have a SFD tell us anyway.
    3. Those who are desperate to be told what to do and work better with rigid rules I want 20 SFD's.
    4. Set your overall budget before the commencement of UFC. Make sure you are compensating for food, possible vehicle malfunctions, birthdays, public travel and outings and also include beauty products. Then see if anything can be deducted from that. This month has to be TIGHT with the most amount of money saved.In total including food mine is 150.
    5. Ladies downshift some beauty bits. Use up EVERYTHING of what you have then reconsider that 30 foundation, the 25 face wash and such like. Are these products REALLY making a difference of providing a nice placebo effect? I downshifts my hairspray from Tresemme @ 2.89 to Tesco's Everyday Value @ 37p. No major difference!
    6. Social outing MUST be planned for and budgeted for otherwise you don’t go. Book your friends in now.
    7. Food budget has to be set and stuck too religiously. Many mishaps in January on my part will now be rectified. My budget is 60!!
    8. As with every other challenge those with stuffed cupboards need to clear them first - your budget will be for essentials like milk, bread, fruit and vegetables. You will be astounded by how much you save.
    9. Buy a homeless person a coffee/tea out of your budget.
    10. Get to grips with eBay, get ruthless and sell what you haven’t worn in 6 months and what you haven’t read. No particular budget required but I would say a minimum of 50 is a good start for each participant.
    11. Bring your lunch to work everyday with no exceptions. Stay away from Starbucks, Costa, Nero, work Canteens, cafes and take away’s. Buy a travel mug or flask and use that and batch cook.
    12. Put aside 10 for a treat at the end of the month - preferable day 28. it can be anything as your reward. Mine will food related no doubt!

That’s it. Who’s with me?

When joining in please do not copy and paste this entire thread and comment on each point. You are either in or out. It will take up too much space and clog the thread. When you are putting forth your name just a one liner is sufficient. Commenting, cheering, lurking and updates will commence on the 1st February only. Until then I will simply be adding names to the list. And please remember the theme of this thread is to HELP ONE ANOTHER so unhelpful, nasty or rude comments will not be tolerated and marked as spam and reported

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 05-02-2013 at 5:37 PM.

On the road of life..
Page 3
  • missyv30
    Count me in am still going with the other one will update tom for januarys sucess and faliures lol and update a budget here

Debt as of Feb 14 15770 Mar 14 9186.60
  • fairy3
    Just a quickie...I have been crunching too and am now a bit less chipper as I forgot petrol, however here are my figures: 150 food for 1 adult and three teens with adult appetites and 1 dog as really want to clear the freezer and cupboards, treat 10, emergency 50 because there always seems to be one! Petrol 100, work shoes needed but will shop around and only buy if I can sell something on ebay, beauty 0 as have big stash to clear and 20 for going out, have two planned evenings out which cost money so in total 330.

nannygladys I am in awe! hope you can do it, you have inspired me to get the knitting needles out and actually make something!

Let the games begin!
    Not Buying It 2015!

No SM's in 2015
  • Siouxsie32
    Evening everyone

So, my February budget is as follows:
    Food 50
    Petrol 50
    Misc 100 (to include Oyster Card top ups, one night out and a few other bits and pieces that need to be paid for throughout the month)

And I plan to make 100 on ebay plus as much as I can in surveys etc. My spend free day target I'm going to hang fire on for the time being til I see what's what with a few things, but rest assured I'll not be spending if I don't have to!!
    450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
    9107.25 0 (60 days early)
    New Challenge for 2014:
    20,136.47 15989.65 (More than twice as much in less time )
  • Kerfuffle
    Hi everybody,

Here I am with my aims for February:

Food /185.00
    Petrol /175.00
    Postage /15.00
    Beauty Products /14.00
    Social Outing /47.00
    Homeless Person /4.00
    Treat /10.00

The original budget was for 185.00 petrol and 175.00 food, and I was disgusted to think that I was planning to spend more money just feeding the vehicles than I was feeding myself and Hubby that I swapped it around just on principal

A slight increase for the postage to get the birthday cards and presents to the UK, as I'm hoping to be more realistic.

Beauty products, it's ages since I bought anything and the mascara I'm currently using is threatening to finish some time soon. So I thought I'd put it in the budget and do a bit of shopping around.

The social outing is based on what I spent last month for Hubby, myself and son, so I've repeated it just in case we all get together again. If we don't then it's for Hubby and me

Homeless person - if we have a homeless person around here I don't see them, so I'll do the same as I did in December which is to buy something (maybe a box of teabags) and put it in the collection point for the food bank.

The treat money of 10.00 is ideal as I know I can get 3 x London Fogs, including tips, for this. So my treat for this month is to allow myself three of these.

Ebay I won't be attempting yet, as it's not my friend, but I do have some clothes listed on a facebook site and somebody is enquiring about a jacket I have on there. Now I've just to see if they come up with the cash.

I'm aiming for 20 Spend Free Days as I like the rigid rules

My budget for the month is 450.00gbp ( A reduction of 30.00gbp from last month ) for Hubby and myself with 2 vehicles and going to work is a 30 mile round journey.

Here we go folks - hold on tight!

"Please stay in your seats or you might lose your heads......shabah"
    Last edited by Kerfuffle; 31-01-2013 at 5:54 AM.

• rosiecheeksblossom
    Morning all,

Cant believe Im up this early - thunder, lightning and cat at 4am.....

Kerfuffle- Whats a london fog????????????

Well payday has arrived, whoop!whoop!!!, so feb budget is done hopefully Im just being generous and will have some money left as I said previously everyone else's is so much lower.
    • Food 80
    • Petrol 120
    • Going out 175 - 1 weekend away, Theatre night, BGT, 3 meals
    • Presents 50 - Dad's & 2 friends b'days
    • Car service 30 - Just parts if req
    • Avon 5 - Already ordered handcream, only one that suits due to eczema. (Still have 17 shower gels to use)
    • Other 10 - There's always something I don't budget for/ treat money
    TOTAL 470
    I want to make 50 on ebay and 20 sfds please.

Have a lovely day all xxxx
    Halifax CC All paid Mort 7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
    Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20
  • Munchin
    Hi all
    Can I join please. I will work out the numbers tonight
  • capricious
    Count me in please

First challenge so this might be a bit daunting but needs must.

Petrol 300 - its a lot but i have a 170 mile round trip to work (will see if i can work at least 1 day a week from home)

Food 0 - the opposite end of the extreme, i have enough diet packs in the cupboard to last me for a couple of months

Therefore aiming for
    25 SFDs
    50 on ebay

and picking up on the January thread will be using adpoints and surveys etc to boost Nectar points and stuffs
  • WantToBeSE
    *Shuffles in, embarrassed*

Am i able to join in again please Kat?
    SPC #465

My Savings Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4815948
  • NinjaSavingKat
    I've just crunched the numbers.... I feel a bit sick Someone send some positiveness my way please? And remind me that it is okay to have a life as long as you're still paying off the debt and not using credit?
    Originally posted by mayfair1985
    This is going to be interesting as i seem spend money almost every day, this will be the biggest challenge for me i think
    by Dottydoodle
    Me tooo I want in, in fact I will have to have had my hours cut at work grrr have just had my pay slip and only just have enough to cover my bills :-(
    by km1977
    67 for the 4 weeks, I arrived at this figure cos its the amount of cash I have in the house, so Im aiming on NOT using the bank account for anything, its going to be sooo.... hard but Im determined to get that OD down.
    by NannyGladys
    I knew February was going to be a expensive month, but I didn't realise that bad!
    by karmachilovething
    Just being sitting trying to sort figures for feb budget and feel pretty carp about it. Everyone else's budgets are way lower than mine.....
    by rosiecheeksblossom
    eurgh, I know that sinking feeling when the numbers don't add up!
    by gien
    Just a quickie...I have been crunching too and am now a bit less chipper
    by fairy3
    First challenge so this might be a bit daunting but needs must.
    by capricious
    Now then.. it wouldn't be called a challenge if it ain't challenging now then would it? I see these mind-sets and match them with mine. Determination, Ruthlessness, Optimism should be your weapons of choice!!!

We.Will.Succeed!

There is no other way to put it. Stand firm and stand hard. You are now looking after you. You are taking a stand for the greater good, saying no to unnecessary things, planning ahead and taking stock of where you want to be! Yes this will be HARD.. but grasp that fear and feeling of doubt, harness it , face it and say I AM NOT AFRAID and throw it out.. harness the negativity and be happy that you are doing some about that CC , DD, Loan, etc now and not still living life behind rose tinted glasses..

This sounds all airy fairy but your thought process counts for a lot. Personally.. I will not fail. Simple as that. I will not fail, I will not allow myself to consider failure. I will pay off my debs by the end of this year and I will make money in any way possible ( that's legal of course )..

Turn your optimistic self on by tonight at midnight.. I will help push you to the end, I will be the hands that blinker your eyes to things you don't need. I will guide your feet away from the take away and back into looking at your freezer, I will poke you in the ribs and make you realize you do not need another pair of shoes..I will remind you that your child will not be loved less if her/his clothes are second hand or repaired instead of replaced.. I will send you hugs when it all gets too much to handle and everyone else on here will stand behind you and cheer for every little thing that brings you towards Debt Freedom!!!

For everyone quoted above and for everyone else who has joined in the fight for freedom this message is for you too...

Onwards with a strong mind, Upwards with a stronger heart. x

On the road of life..
  • Siouxsie32
    Onwards with a strong mind, Upwards with a stronger heart. x
    Originally posted by NinjaSavingKat
    ...and Downwards with the debt!!!
    450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
    9107.25 0 (60 days early)
    New Challenge for 2014:
    20,136.47 15989.65 (More than twice as much in less time )
  • WantToBeSE
    I am trying out a whole new way of food shopping, which is SUPPOSED to help me spend less. We'll see how it goes.
    Normally, i just have the amount (for example 200) for the month, and everything comes out of that, in no organised fashion.
    This month, i am trying something new.

I have split that 200 into several 'categories'.

Online monthly tinned good (all basic)-40 (this is for all the tinned goods i will need during the month, so things like rice pud, custard, red kidney beans, baked beans, lentils, curry pastes etc)-this is from asda.

Cleaning/washing/personal care-20 (for all shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath, deodorants, baby wipes, washing up liquid, washing powder/gel, bin bags etc)-and i buy it all from the 99p store.

40-Fruit and veg (this is mainly from lidl as its such a good price)

Then the rest is split up into weekly amounts. Not sure how this will go, as like i said, its my first time. Does anyone else do this? Any tips?

Thanks for taking me back under your wing Kat, and for the number. Things are pretty dire here financially.
    SPC #465

• poodlegal
    OK so heres my Feb budget is for me and the three kids!

Fuel 130
    Groceries 200
    Spends 90
    Total: 420

It sounds a lot looking at some peoples but its actually going to be quite tight, considering we have 3 days out planned for Feb, 2 cheap ones plus my youngests birthday treat which will probably be kids cinema and lunch out plus a cake. I have got him a gift already. I'm aiming for 15 SFDs, and have planned them already on my calender around days I know i'll be spending such as after school activities, etc This was something I struggled with last month, hopefully it will mean i'm more likely to keep at it. Cant wait to see how much extra I have to chuck at the debt mountain at the end of this month!!
  • poodlegal
    Yeah Kerfuffle, please enlighten us to what a London Fog is?
  • nannygladys
    Hi everyone, well my 67 has gone up to 72, as when I was just sorting a drawer out I found 7, honestly old age has its advantages - forgetting where you put things

I have also made chilli and bolognese this morning so Im going to freeze it into 4 portions and this afternoon I will make a pie and a lemon drizzle cake to slice and some scones and freeze the lot, and believe it or not I wont have spent a penny its all from stores and the freezer - mind you Im getting withdrawal symptons as I can the back of my tin cupboard in one place

My menu for each week will be:
    Spag Bol
    Chilli
    Stew
    Something on toast
    fish
    Pie
    Toad in hole or something with sausages

Thats the evening meals sorted (the same each week x 4), the lunch time ones will be couscous, rice and pasta on work days (4 a week) and the others something out of the cupboards!!!

I have half a tank of fuel left so as long as I use the car only on work days I should manage on 20 out of the 72. Im looking after my DGD for 3 nights in Valentines week and DD has said she will give me fuel money to take her to school (they live about 15 miles away)and DGD has school dinners and tea at after school club so its only a wee bit of supper I'll have to find for her.

At work we have a trolley for the local food bank so I aim to put an item in there every week, as I dont go up into town unless absolutely necessary (not strong enough yet not to spend anything whilst Im up there), but having said that I dont think Ive seen any homeless up there - unless I just dont notice any, thats terrible isnt it - there are plenty people selling the BI though

Anyway thats me for today,and Fairy3 Im not sure if I will achieve my aims but I will have a bl**dy good go oh by the way all bills come out by DD so dont really have to pay cash for anything, even CC I pay through the internet but I will do that on a spend day

Jxx
    PS Stirring words Kat I will have to keep reading them over and over to keep me going
  • Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle- Whats a london fog????????????
    Originally posted by rosiecheeksblossom
    Yeah Kerfuffle, please enlighten us to what a London Fog is?
    Originally posted by poodlegal
    Ooops, It's a drink. Earl Grey tea made with steamed milk and a splodge of vanilla syrup. A bit like a vanilla latte but with a tea bag instead The first time I had one I ordered it from the description, I loved it and told my daughter what I'd had and she told me it's called a London Fog, so the next time I went into a coffee shop I requested it by name and sure enough they knew what it was. I'd never heard of if before and I'd be interested if any of you guys went into a coffee shop (the kind with barristas ) in the UK they would know what it is. I'm not sure if it's just an American/North American thing or not.

*Shuffles in, embarrassed*

Am i able to join in again please Kat?
    Originally posted by WantToBeSE
    Why are you shuffling? Why are you embarrassed? Just skid into the room and announce you're here!

Good to have you back with us, and just so you know, lot's of people have been loving your lemon rice recipe

• Marylea
    Greetings!

Grrrrrrr, glad January is over, it started well, but went down hill over the last 10 days or so, can't even face updating signature as went over budget for Food & Fuel massively!
    No matter, I will start February with renewed vigour and a better resolve to make sure it goes a little better than January, at least February is a shorter month!

Tonight I will update signature re: outstanding debts, at least these are coming down and not being added too. AND most importantly they are now all (apart from overdraft) on 0% interest.

This month I am going to try spending on an empty credit card, to save accruing as much interest on my overdraft........and then pay the credit card in full at the end of the month......will need to be strong to make sure this happens!
    Dec12 Debt:18,522.17 6,100 DFD: June14
    S'der: 600
    Bcard 0% Jun14: 3,500
    Bcard 0% Aug 15: 2,000
  • welshdreamer71
    Can I just sign my month away and comeback later and post budget when iv checked our bible at home please x
    2 week 5:2=5.5lb off.
  • stoplurking
    Just read NSK's stirring words earlier today, what a way to get us all onboard, in line, ready to fight for our DFD whenever it may be.

UFS Budget

430 as follows,

Food 180
    Petrol 80 (usually 90)
    Birthdays 40
    Social outing 120
    Treat 10

based on Kat's instructions

1. yep I'm in for the duration
    2. Dont get much in the way of ys but make lsome little food purchases - it gets me out at lunchtimes! nevertheless
    3. i will still try for as many SFDs as i can get.
    4. 430
    5. have downshifted to Aldi for creams etc. Hair products- downgraded from salon colour treatment (40ish excluding cut)to home colour but it does cost almost 10 - please can i keep this
    6 only one outing that will cost me anything - includes travel and a meal that i will pay for - 80
    7 Food budget normally 200 cut to 180 for this month
    8 Cupboards quite bare, freezer almost so. will try to clear that this month
    9 didn't manage this in DDD - chickened out as our homeless people ususally want money, so i gave to the food bank instead. This month I will do as I am bid by NSK and buy the hot drink.
    10 sorry, I really can't do ebay so I am going to see if there is anything i can sell to make this 50 minimum
    11 i do this anyway, have never liked shop sandwiches etc much.
    12 10 treat included in the budget above but if NSK disallows the hair colour then that will be my treat.

So, there it is, the dirty dozen rules for February. let's hope we can all keep to them and make Kat proud. Good luck to all.

Onwards and upwards
    LBM Oct12 Debts at LBM 17715.93.
    Orig DFD Apr15 DFD 24/12/13
    weight loss 11/20
  • CrazyCatLady1
    Count me in too plz Kat im up for the challenge, can i get a number plz

Budget for food 100 for me and my teenager, am gonna raid the cupboards and see what i can use
  • WantToBeSE
    Why are you shuffling? Why are you embarrassed? Just skid into the room and announce you're here!

Good to have you back with us, and just so you know, lot's of people have been loving your lemon rice recipe
    Originally posted by Kerfuffle
    Thanks Kerfuffle.
    i am embarrassed for 2 reasons really. The main one being the way i just dropped out of January's challenge, and the second being that i am in a worse state, financially, than last time

Glad to hear my lemon rice has been adopted by people, i LOVE it!

The coconut rice is also lovely, as is the tumeric and chill, lime and coriander etc etc (i love rice, can you tell?)
    SPC #465

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,867Posts Today

8,425Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right, I'm giving Google Plus a try - slightly different tone, a bit more industry, if you're on it do add me, https://t.co/SV9rwBMPcB

• M'weekly email: Amzn free del trick, MEGA Sky TV, B&Q clearance, free Windows, 32mth 0%, £47k PPI, beat BTSport hike http://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Sky line, bband & all-in TV (inc sky sports & movies) £35/mth is our broadband collective switch winner, full info http://t.co/bS4J70hBbx RT

• Follow Martin