Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 29th Jan 13, 3:56 PM
    • 3,212Posts
    • 20,097Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    The Ultimate February Challenge
    • 29th Jan 13, 3:56 PM
    The Ultimate February Challenge 29th Jan 13 at 3:56 PM
    The Ultimate February Challenge; 28 days Later!!!
    Take Only What You Need

We have all heard of or watched the zombie film 28 Days Later. A man wakes up in a deserted, litter strewn and creepy London. He realizes the world has been taken over by the walking dead so he runs. What does he take with him - only what he needs! He meets with others and they travel together, protecting and encouraging one another and what do they take with them - only what they need!!!

I am on a journey! Every month a new challenge arises with barbarians ready to take on this challenge and join me on my quest of debt freedom. I am fighting the great fight against the marketing of merchandise I supposedly need, of conglomerate food prices and the ever present girly urge to buy something new and shiny!!!

So join me dear reader, follow my rules, support your comrades and clear those debts. The theme this month is this; take only what you need! Afterall it’s only 28 days?

It started as rioting. But right from the beginning you knew this was different. Because it was happening in small villages and market towns. And then it wasn't on the TV any more. It was in the street outside. It was coming in through your windows. It was a virus. An infection!”
    This infection = SPENDING!

There are rules to follow but you need to create and discover your own self-restraint, your own desire to succeed and your own strength. This month’s challenge is a little bit different to others that have been posted in the past few months.

We will use “Spend Free Day” = SFD to indicate your lack of spending on a particular day. Mark up your name on this thread and you will be added with a number for “UFC”. If you are wanting to lurk and cheer-lead please do. If this challenge doesn’t suit you please be aware it is VERY difficult to incorporate rules that suit everyone. Perhaps this challenge isn’t for you.

1. This challenge will commence on the 1st February 2013 @ Midnight and finish on the 28th February 2013 @ Midnight.
    2. In light of some needing to avail of yellow sticker promotions when they are immediately available (me included) there is NO specifically required SFD. You are NOT tied into only doing your spending on a particular day. But if by chance you DO have a SFD tell us anyway.
    3. Those who are desperate to be told what to do and work better with rigid rules I want 20 SFD's.
    4. Set your overall budget before the commencement of UFC. Make sure you are compensating for food, possible vehicle malfunctions, birthdays, public travel and outings and also include beauty products. Then see if anything can be deducted from that. This month has to be TIGHT with the most amount of money saved.In total including food mine is 150.
    5. Ladies downshift some beauty bits. Use up EVERYTHING of what you have then reconsider that 30 foundation, the 25 face wash and such like. Are these products REALLY making a difference of providing a nice placebo effect? I downshifts my hairspray from Tresemme @ 2.89 to Tesco's Everyday Value @ 37p. No major difference!
    6. Social outing MUST be planned for and budgeted for otherwise you don’t go. Book your friends in now.
    7. Food budget has to be set and stuck too religiously. Many mishaps in January on my part will now be rectified. My budget is 60!!
    8. As with every other challenge those with stuffed cupboards need to clear them first - your budget will be for essentials like milk, bread, fruit and vegetables. You will be astounded by how much you save.
    9. Buy a homeless person a coffee/tea out of your budget.
    10. Get to grips with eBay, get ruthless and sell what you haven’t worn in 6 months and what you haven’t read. No particular budget required but I would say a minimum of 50 is a good start for each participant.
    11. Bring your lunch to work everyday with no exceptions. Stay away from Starbucks, Costa, Nero, work Canteens, cafes and take away’s. Buy a travel mug or flask and use that and batch cook.
    12. Put aside 10 for a treat at the end of the month - preferable day 28. it can be anything as your reward. Mine will food related no doubt!

That’s it. Who’s with me?

When joining in please do not copy and paste this entire thread and comment on each point. You are either in or out. It will take up too much space and clog the thread. When you are putting forth your name just a one liner is sufficient. Commenting, cheering, lurking and updates will commence on the 1st February only. Until then I will simply be adding names to the list. And please remember the theme of this thread is to HELP ONE ANOTHER so unhelpful, nasty or rude comments will not be tolerated and marked as spam and reported

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 05-02-2013 at 5:37 PM.

On the road of life..
Page 24
  • rosiecheeksblossom
    Hi all, long time no see.....
    Apologies for not checking in sooner, feeling a tad embarassed about the state of affairs. But need to owe up otherwise theres no point in following your challenges, and I do think everyone is doing a marvellous job with support and tips to help us all debt bust.
    Anyhoo, my budgets are a little stretched - petrol way over and need to top up today too, had a few unpredicted trips as sadly a friend's mum died and have been over to see her a few times, although I would never ever begrudge this.

Food - did big spend on thurs but will minus the difference off March's budget, didnt plan the shop very well tho had tea out fri, sat and today - spends have all been out of my going out fund. But now have full fridge freezer and cupboards which should last a fortnight bar milk and some fresh fruit and veg.

Other - way way over, sponsored brother 10 and put a donation in at funeral. Although I did buy a WW book 4.95.
    Really need to sort my diet out so it was an incentive buy, got to my 2 stone target last july, 2 and half stone is still eluding me.....
    Only slightly over on presents and still have 50 on going out budget. Hoping that will counteract the overspends....

On a lighter note more rugby later and roast lamb tea at my mum's yummy!!!!

looking forward to March's challenge NSK, enjoy your sunday everyone
    TTFN xxx
    Last edited by rosiecheeksblossom; 24-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Halifax CC All paid Mort 7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
    Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20
  • poodlegal
    Hi all just checking in as ive been awol (well having a quick lurk to keep motivated). Yesterday was my youngests 6th birthday and we had a day out for me and the 3 children for 20- we opted for the kids special at the cinema (7.00) a bakery pie and cake car picnic (6) a little treat in the shops each (small toy or accessory) 5 then a 2 donation to a free petting farm and then tea and birthday cake at grannys (free!!!) so it was a lovely day. Maybe not up to everyone else 6th Birthday treat standards but we enjoyed it! Just got to hang on in there now as the end of the month is in sight!
  • Siouxsie32
    Hugs to PurpleJay and rosiecheeksblossom - sounds like you've had a rough week

Abundant, I kinda picture you as the cool uncle! I am an aunt and I'm different from all the other aunts and uncles in that a) there's no uncle b) I don't see my lot very often either and c) I bring cool gifts that they can't get where they live. Since you don't get to visit very often, your nephew/niece will get your full attention when you do visit - that also makes you cool! I have all the time in the world to help with homework or listen to the dodgy violin playing because I don't have the normal distractions of my real life. I love having late nights and lazy breakfasts in our PJs while their mum and dad turn a blind eye to the lack of discipline because aunty Siouxsie's here!! Yip, every child needs a cool aunt or uncle - that my friend, is us

Today was fairly productive. Took back a lamp that was a bit like the leaning tower of Pisa (it was bought during a Mystery Shopping visit so fully reimbursed anyway, but I didn't like it so I got a refund ). Also took back a pretty useless piece of kit I bought from a hardware store and got a refund there too - 42 back to me for hardly any effort! Managed to list a few things on ebay so hopefully next week I'll have another few to add to the kitty! I also signed up to the NowTV free 30 day trail through Quidco and will earn a cool 12 cashback for watching a few movies. And, last but not least, I visited 3 beauty counters and got little samples of moisturisers as I've completely run out! There's about 2 weeks worth there - I love a freebie

My calculation of my wages is an unhappy story. I'll not know for a few more days for sure but I reckon my wages are around 150 less than my outgoings next month Ebay will help, as will the 42 refund I got today. A bit of kat's whip cracking and I'll get through March with what I have, plus I'll scavenge some extra from somewhere to get the pesky debt down as well!!
    Last edited by Siouxsie32; 24-02-2013 at 7:48 PM.
    450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
    9107.25 0 (60 days early)
    New Challenge for 2014:
    20,136.47 15989.65 (More than twice as much in less time )
  • nannygladys
    Hi everyone, well hope you are all OK, hugs to all who need and well done to those who are achieving their targets, well my confession time is here I guess

Yesterday I needed some milk and went to Mr T's which is the nearest SM (not the one I work in though) and as I had just been paid I had money in the bank (I havent any excuses at all, Im just trying to make myself feel better) but I ended up spending 53in there. It was all on food and most was on fresh veg and fruit along with all my breadmaking stuff to last me next month. Anyway I think the only thing that I bought that I wont use was a bunch of daffs, and they me feel happy so I convinced myself they were for my own wellbeing. Anyway confession over and roll on March challange. (I could kick myself really and if it was some clothes or similar I think I would be taking it back, it means my OD wont have gone down as much as I would have liked)

Today was a SFD as Ive been at work all day, and tomorrow will be as well as Im working all day as well. Well off for a lurk on the other boards and I dont feel any better for confessing just very stupid, oh well at least it will all get eaten I suppose.

Jxx
  • Gretchen2012
    Hi gang

Well I've made just over 60 on eBay and I have listed another seven items today so over target for the month. I think I might try and get a few more on before I go to bed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels guilty about not having loads of days out over half term. My dd is really good with money but does like a splurge every now and then but still keeps hold of some.

It's not just that I can't afford it but also cos I'm working too. I know it's part time but it still ruins a good day out. Got a couple of good trips out already booked and paid for in the summer which we are both really looking forward to.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend. Can't wait for a sneek preview tomorrow night Kat.
    TOTAL DEBT - 10866.22/450.06 PAID O/S 10416.16
    CC - 174.69 - The rest is a family loan and other debts which are 0%
    August Grocery Challenge - 0.00/250.00

• thriftylass
    My eBay sales didn't go quite as well as I'd have liked this time, but heyho. Had so many watchers but they never really started bidding (guess if I want more money don't start so low . Also lost out on a buy it now option for an old phone as someone bid on it while I was arranging pick up from my house from someone else in my town but he hadn't bought it yet online, so I'm stuck to the auction now. Well, I'm still learning

Had friends round for curry afternoon/night yesterday, but I'm not used to this entertaining anymore, the money spend on it , the two days preparation and days of cleanup (8 adults, plus as many kids, plus poppadoms and burst balloons everywhere) for a bit of a rushed meal it felt. But it was good to see them and tell them our news. Luckily hubby is off today and will tackle the worst. And at least we got quite a few leftovers as we cooked/bought too much.

Hugs to Purplejay, hope your mum is better today.
    NST JULY no ...
    SFD 1/20 food 20/220
    HH/other 9.5/100 CC 732 Wedding debt 2500 1905 1775 1588 1500 1157 1000 1733 1477 (0%)
    DFD April '16
  • karmachilovething
    I DID NOT MENTION CHIN PLUCKING!! Cheeky Chops!!
    Originally posted by NinjaSavingKat
    If anyone's interested, they only charge 10 for a chin wax
    Originally posted by Siouxsie32

you gals are headed for a beard that will rival Gandalf's!

Originally posted by abundant1972
    I am the chin plucker! Well actually I go for a combination of zapping it with sound waves and electrolissis, a bit more expensive the Siouxsies's suggestion, but it does actually kill the hair, so I need it less and less and hopefully I'll ultimately avoid becoming Gandalf

Anyway enough of that . . . ahem

Purplejay, hope you're recovered from the weekend. Sounds like a very stressful day, but ultimately turned out the best it could.

I moved out of my house on the weekend - with a cold too so was absolutely done in on Saturday. BF did stirling work lifting and carrying - I felt very lucky to have him this weekend. Met the agent just before lunhc and seemd pretty positive. Fingers crossed for a full return of the deposit!
    Total debt: 9473.62 7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food 43.45/50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
    DFD: June 2015
  • mayfair1985
    I'm hereeee and alive!!!! Just....

Firstly - purple - hugs.

Secondly - I've over spent. This weekend is going to be the last of the spends for the month so i'm here with my confessional.

This month I have cracked a big chunk of the debt off to the tune of 1600. This has only happened through budgeting and scrimping. I know that I had a spendy month but i managed to stay, for the best part, in budget. I earnt approximately 32 extra so it really just was planning and sticking to the budget that meant I could pay that much off.

My confessional.... On sunday I was too hungover to get on eBay. And to make matters worse we got Pizza taking us 26 over the total budget for the month.

And things I have learnt this month:

-It doesn't matter how you dress it is, NSD, SFD, SIAD (Spend it all day!) I can't keep track of them. I just can't. So there.

-Tramps want fags not tea (or maybe that was just mine??)

-Planning a budget makes it easier to stick too

So that's me for the month. Can't wait for the next challenge to bring us one step closer to DFD and A HOLIDAY!!

• poodlegal

And things I have learnt this month:

-It doesn't matter how you dress it is, NSD, SFD, SIAD (Spend it all day!) I can't keep track of them. I just can't. So there.
    Originally posted by mayfair1985
    Me neither!
  • karmachilovething
    Originally posted by mayfair1985
    If it helps, I colour the day pink on my spreadsheet (don't know why pink, friendlier but as eye catching at red?!) and also number them. Otherwise I'd have no idea where I was either.
    Total debt: 9473.62 7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food 43.45/50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
    DFD: June 2015
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 25th Feb 13, 4:12 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,097 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    Hello Chickadees.

Did I just blink and miss that weekend.

I spent Saturday night at work, slept for preciselty 3.5 hours before the Dalmation started howling and woke me up, straight to a 1 year olds birthday party, viewed a house that was nearby, helped pack up said Birthday Party, came home shattered, slept very well with the moggy as a pillow ( fluffly and vibrating - lol )... checked dress and coat into laundrette for repairs and dry-cleaning and voila - 56 on the credit card! NOT HAPPY!!!!

Starting to realise how expensive this Ball is going to be. I should have stuck to my guns and said NO from the very beginning. SO far with the dress and the ticket it has cost me a whopping 240. I know we are meeting HRH Princess Anne, and we won't do this very often but my goodness am I going to eBay that dress now...It will be something to tell the Grandkiddies though.

Anyway.. I am sat at work until 1930. I have printed out an A4 page with the days ready to be filled in. I have requested overtime on 7 of the 10 weekend days in March so at one point this month I will be working a straight 22 days with 1 day off booked with free tickets to the Ideal Home Show. Other than this I have to book in the girlfriend I dodged this month for her Birthday dinner.

Beat that for dedication!!!

I will be whip cracking in March. I need it. I also need to get pennies together for my holiday and I am starting to panic. SO I AM TAKING YOU WITH ME. Yes it will be hard but everyone including myself has slacked off this month and its times to get back on IT!!!

So I looked at that house again and have decided to take it. She is removing the bed so I can take mine with me ( storage capacity underneath ) and just needs to verify that moggy is okay to move in and we are good to go. She needs 475 + 60 admin fee ( will be questioning this ) and will hold the place until I can move on the 1st April. So I MUST have the money ready for her and for my holidays - there is no way around this...

I shall be calculating food expenditure / CC payments ( paid for my brothers flight to see me next month and the dress ), and the basic on which I have to live. There will be another eBay challenge and I am really going to expect people to get rid of a lot of stuff. Its time to get super ruthless.

So I hope you are ready for whats coming your way. As much as I love helping homeless folk - its being outlawed in March! Every penny for himself and YOU need to save it!!!

So this is what I will work on today and tomorrow. I am planning to have it up and running by tomorrow possible lunchtime. I am away at the weekend ( work weekend, all travel and food / lodgings supplied ) so there will be minimal time for me to update. I will add instructions though..

Onwards and Upwards!!!

On the road of life..
  • thriftylass
    Oh I can't wait for March. Love the tougher approach coming NSK, think we all need it for various reasons. And good god that is some overtime .

Won't need to spend anymore till Thursday payday apart from ebay postage and still got some money for that in my wallet. Spreadsheets are ready, March here I come (February please finish asap).
    NST JULY no ...
    SFD 1/20 food 20/220
    HH/other 9.5/100 CC 732 Wedding debt 2500 1905 1775 1588 1500 1157 1000 1733 1477 (0%)
    DFD April '16
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 25th Feb 13, 4:52 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,097 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat

******* March's Challenge will be up TONIGHT ******

On the road of life..
  • Ninno820
    oooh - I cant wait to see what evils you have in store for us!!

First day back at work ( I love it really!) and its a SFD. I was given a calendar for christmas which I dont particulalry like. Every night before bed I write up my step count for the day and how much I've spent / SFD / NSD etc. Its become part of my routine now.

I am struggling with ebay at the moment - my carp is too carp to be attractive I guess!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay 650 off overdraft ( 288/ 650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 25th Feb 13, 6:19 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,097 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4466159

May I apologise in advance...And I forgot to take NSK CHALLENGE out before posting... eejit!

On the road of life..
  • Gretchen2012
    Oooohhh Kat can't wait....

Got two watchers on one my e-bay items but didn't get anymore on last night. Going to wait now for the March challenge.

I've totally blew my budgets and am gutted with myself. But as this was my first month doing it I'm hoping I can sort out where I went wrong.

Hope everyone had a lovely cheap weekend.

• Gretchen2012
    Ohhh my newbie picture has gone
    Signed up for the new challenge. Let battle commence

• NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 25th Feb 13, 6:36 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,097 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    Gretchen my budget went out the window too - am so annoyed. But we can pull it back in this month... well done for signing up to the next one.. lets get those budgets done!

On the road of life..
  • poodlegal
    Have signed up I'm pretty pleased with Feb, the spends budget was gone over but very hard with birthdays and school hols to contend with as well as my eldest actually needing clothes, boiler and car both breaking down and tbh i'm pretty impressed that I kept it as low as I did. Though I did have a couple of slip ups. BUT March needs to make up for this and I WILL find something to ebay this month and really work on the find 100 as well as get a grip of keeping track of the SFDs. I am ready for action! Rrraaaahhhhh!
  • poodlegal
    Oh also wanted to just add I still havent bought any alcohol since NYE as we had that little conversation in Januarys challenge. Actually feeling quite good and not missing it at all. (Loving my new empty bottle recycling bin!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

2,728Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin