Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 5:50 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ecotricity reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 5:50 PM
    Ecotricity reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 5:50 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ecotricity

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 1:43 PM.
Page 1
    • Kyrae
    • By Kyrae 4th Feb 13, 7:24 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Kyrae
    • 4th Feb 13, 7:24 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 7:24 PM
    Wonderful! Been with them over a year now and never had a problem. They were easy to switch to and have always given me great customer service. Customer service team seem to answer the phones quickly, no long phone menus of pressing lots of numbers, UK call centre, and the staff are very friendly. My payments were too high as I moved to a new property and wasn't sure how much energy i'd use, so I ran up a hundred pounds of credit, no problem though they were happy to send me a cheque to claim my money back, and it arrived swiftly and without problem. Would highly recommend them, way better than npower my previous supplier!!
  • Wywth
    • 7th Feb 13, 2:13 PM
    • 7th Feb 13, 2:13 PM
    Ecotricity prices are pegged to the 14 different local electricity suppliers eg. EdF in London, npower in Birmingham, etc. Each time one of these suppliers changes its electricity price, Ecotricity’s electricity price in that region changes by the same percentage.

Source: http://www.energyhelpline.com/cashbackmse/fri/domesticenergy/Domestic/GetHelp?reference=fhl_priceincreases_1
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 21st Nov 13, 12:47 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 21st Nov 13, 12:47 PM
    • 21st Nov 13, 12:47 PM
    Ecotricity prices are pegged to the 14 different local electricity suppliers eg. EdF in London, npower in Birmingham, etc. Each time one of these suppliers changes its electricity price, Ecotricity’s electricity price in that region changes by the same percentage.

Source: http://www.energyhelpline.com/cashbackmse/fri/domesticenergy/Domestic/GetHelp?reference=fhl_priceincreases_1
    Originally posted by Wywth
    Wywth, how do you know which company Ecotricity is linked to in your area?
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 22nd Nov 13, 11:14 AM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 22nd Nov 13, 11:14 AM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 11:14 AM
    Anyone know?
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 22nd Nov 13, 11:33 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • 22nd Nov 13, 11:33 AM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 11:33 AM
    Anyone know?
    Originally posted by lstar337

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_electricity_suppliers

You can work it out from the above
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 22nd Nov 13, 12:12 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 22nd Nov 13, 12:12 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 12:12 PM
    Thanks.

So for me Ecotricity prices are linked to EDF as I am in the south west.

Does this mean that Ecotricity prices increase at the same time as EDF's?

Ecotricity are currently showing the best tariff for me, I'm considering switching, but I'm not going to do it unless they have already increased their prices.
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 22nd Nov 13, 12:31 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • 22nd Nov 13, 12:31 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 12:31 PM
    Thanks.

So for me Ecotricity prices are linked to EDF as I am in the south west.

Does this mean that Ecotricity prices increase at the same time as EDF's?

Ecotricity are currently showing the best tariff for me, I'm considering switching, but I'm not going to do it unless they have already increased their prices.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Probably. Contact Ecotricity for the specifics. http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/customer-service/pay-your-bill/your-bill-explained/why-green-electricity-follows-the-price-of-brown-electricity

The above link goes into some detail, but omits When and By How Much.

Why will you not switch until prices rise? If I was on a high variable rate (SSE or BG's Standard Tariff for instance), I would be jumping ship to a low price fix ASAP!
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 22nd Nov 13, 1:01 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 22nd Nov 13, 1:01 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 1:01 PM
    Probably. Contact Ecotricity for the specifics. http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/customer-service/pay-your-bill/your-bill-explained/why-green-electricity-follows-the-price-of-brown-electricity

The above link goes into some detail, but omits When and By How Much.

Why will you not switch until prices rise? If I was on a high variable rate (SSE or BG's Standard Tariff for instance), I would be jumping ship to a low price fix ASAP!
    Originally posted by Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    I'll have to go onto their variable rate as I can't fix with a PPM.

At the moment Ecotricity variable is showing a £60 saving over EDF's variable (including EDF's January price increase). But I don't want to switch and then Ecotricity announce a rise, as I may have just as well stuck with EDF.
  • moongazerrabbit
    switch to M&S Energy
    Hi
    Just wanted to let people know about my switch to M&S Energy which was going smoothly and was cheaper than EDF who we had been with for a number of years.
    Going through this website to obtain the cheapest tariff was simple and we were going to receive a £30 voucher to spend in M&S. It would come just before Christmas, a treat! A nice food parcel!
    Well they sent me a postcard saying we were going to get £20 voucher as soon as possible, which I thought was wrong but hey ho it be ok! Looking forward to it, however today a month later, a letter arrives from M&S Energy apologizing for sending out the postcard it was 'an error with incorrect information and is not part of the terms and conditions of your fixed tariff! However we have enclosed a £5 voucher for any inconvenience our error has caused! "
    I telephoned today and was told the company made an error . I explained that it's not my problem, and I would like my money, as £5 is nothing, and I may not have changed supplier. I feel like I've been duped by this large corporation, dangling a carrot and then not giving it!
    After complaining I am now having £25 in credit on my electricity bill and keeping the £5 voucher. How many customers have they done this too I am wondering!
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 22nd Nov 13, 1:57 PM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    lstar337
    How many customers have they done this too I am wondering!
    Originally posted by moongazerrabbit
    You'll probably get more of a response on your own thread.

This is just a feedback thread for Ecotricity.
  • dolly74
    hate ecotricity - avoid
    I changed from Atlantic because I wanted to try something greener. Have regretted it ever since and am about to switch again. Limited opening hours, ignored emails (even to a "customer champion"), automated emails, no online accounting. The reason it may be greener is because in all areas it has been like going back to the dark ages. My refund took 2 weeks to come back to me rather than the 5 working days I am used to. This time, I am due a refund and asked for it and they haven't even got back to me and that was 3 weeks ago. Yes they may be green but I wish I had tried one if the other green companies instead of Ecotricity. Would never use them again.
    • iproposterous
    • By iproposterous 16th Apr 16, 7:09 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    iproposterous
    Ecotricity - not as caring as they used to be
    Ecotricity is my current supplier but I am now seriously considering moving back to SSE for a 12 month contract.

I live on a Scottish island and was surprised to get an email from a company who is some 360 miles away from me saying that they were coming to read/check my FITs meter next Wednesday/Thursday.

The wouldn't give me a specific day or time until they arrived on the Island or when they were on their way to my property.

They don't seem to realise that a lot of the post codes where I live have multiple addresses for each code and my post code has 20 other properties listed.

I told them I wouldn't be in and couldn't find anyone to be present for the two days.

I then got another email from Ecotricity threatening me that If I didn't allow them to check/read the meter they are going to suspend my FITs account so I wont get any further payments until my meter is checked/read.

How's that for a caring company where the customer comes first?

Has anyone ever complained to them?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 8,464 Posts
    • 20,702 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Are you an ecotricity customer?

Tell other forum members what you think!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin