Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ebico

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 2:02 PM.
Page 4
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    What on earth has happened at Ebico since this change of supply partner???
    Originally posted by wavelets
    They have a new supply partner who deals with billing and payments... it isn't Ebico that is different, it is the 'front end' you are dealing with. Obviously a different supply partner means a different way of doing things.

I'm not on Direct Debit, so the bill needs paying this week,

So what am I supposed to do????
    You've chosen a less convenient payment method which requires customer action to make it happen. It does sound a bit odd that they won't accept payment because it is a small amount, but to answer the question, if you want a payment method which doesn't involve some kind of inconvenience the best thing is to sign up for ('pay on bill') quarterly direct debit. If the bill is correct you don't have to do anything more... not even arrange a bank transfer.

I'm trying to call them. Was cut off when waiting for a customer advisor from the payment option.
    Now been on hold since 9am ... still holding. Called before 9am to be advised they don't open until 9am. Called bang on 9am and still on hold!

By contrast, I also had reason to call SSE, the old supply partner, today. I got through straight away (after going through umpteen automated reponses).
    If having your call dealt with promptly is important to you then perhaps you need to pick one of the larger suppliers who charge more, but can then afford to have staff sitting around in call centres 24/7 awaiting your call. On the other hand, if getting the lowest cost energy is important to you then it doesn't seem unreasonable - as a cost-conscious customer - to expect to have limited hours of access to a call centre, and possibly having to wait on hold at busy times.

You seem to be happy with SSE's customer service... so I would guess the choice of new suppier would be obvious if you do decide to switch.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Aug 17, 10:33 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wavelets

You seem to be happy with SSE's customer service... so I would guess the choice of new suppier would be obvious if you do decide to switch.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    SSE are no good for low users.

In fact, like all big suppliers, they aren't very good for most users, not according to the comparison sites I use.

In fact the resaon I had to call SSE today was to get them to pay the money they owed me on a final bill.- they were going to keep it otherwise
    They still expect me to wait up to 3 weeks to receive it...a shame they don't allow this long for customers to pay the bills in the first instance.
    Last edited by wavelets; 12-08-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 12th Aug 17, 5:22 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Send the payment by cheque to the address on the bill. Even though they don't mention cheques on literature they will accept them.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wavelets
    Send the payment by cheque to the address on the bill. Even though they don't mention cheques on literature they will accept them.
    Originally posted by trickytree1963
    Which address is that?

The Bill has 3 different addresses; 2 in Nottinghamshire and 1 in Oxfordshire.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 13th Aug 17, 11:26 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    The PO Box in Nottingham on the Ebico website.

Ebico Ltd
    PO Box 10461
    Nottingham
    NG1 9JS
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wavelets
    The PO Box in Nottingham on the Ebico website.

Ebico Ltd
    PO Box 10461
    Nottingham
    NG1 9JS
    Thanks

One last question, who do I make the cheque payable to?

Ebico Ltd
    Ebico Trading Limited
    Robin Hood Energy Limited
    Someone else?
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 14th Aug 17, 8:45 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Thanks

One last question, who do I make the cheque payable to?

Ebico Ltd
    Ebico Trading Limited
    Someone else?
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 14th Aug 17, 9:16 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wavelets
    Thanks.

Cheque's in the post
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 15th Aug 17, 2:41 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    I have just paid my first quarterly Ebico/RHE bill into the Post office. They scan the bar code, I hand them cash, easy, no charges. I used to pay it into the bank with a cheque, now I need to make sure I have enough cash when I know the bill is due. Simple.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • hehoho
    • By hehoho 17th Aug 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hehoho
    Ebico Zero customer service disappointing
    In April 2017 I switched to Ebico Zero (supplier Robin Hood Energy). Their admin and customer support is not a patch on SSE, ime, and RHE appear to be understaffed and/or overwhelmed.

Although the transfer went relatively smoothly, I have run into difficulties trying to obtain my first bill. On 29 July I received a letter asking for my meter readings. This letter had been prepared on 11 July but not posted until 25th, meaning that I was unable to submit my readings within the mandatory 7 day window.

The estimated bill is totally inaccurate.

Today when I rang up to enquire where my updated bill was, I was told by the customer support operator that they do not send corrected bills and that I should pay the incorrect estimate and make a note to be sure to send my readings during the first week of October.

The customer support operator was surly and not at all apologetic. When I said that so far my rating of the company's support was 4 out of 10, he reiterated that it's my responsibility to give them readings.

I don't want to have to run my life around my energy bills! I am the customer, and a new one at that, so I am about to switch to a supplier which sends a meter reader and does not leave its letters to customers lingering in its office for 2 weeks.
    Last edited by hehoho; 24-10-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 17th Aug 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    In April 2017 I switched to Ebico Zero (supplier Robin Hood Energy). Their admin and customer support is not a patch on SSE, ime, and RHE appear to be understaffed and/or overwhelmed.
    I don't want to have to run my life around my energy bills! I am the customer, and a new one at that, so I am about to switch to a supplier which sends a meter reader and does not leave its letters to customers lingering in its office for 2 weeks.
    Originally posted by hehoho
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post

Could I ask why you switched to Ebico/RHE in the first place? They are a bit of a 'niche' supplier, cheap if you are a very low user, but not so good if you have an 'average' level of consumption. If you are switching away from them because of one bad customer service experience then presumably the new supplier offers a deal which is very close in price terms?

It would also be interesting to know which supplier can more or less promise to send meter readers round - I thought pretty much all of them now read meters once a year if you were lucky (and don't have a 'smart' meter).

I could tell you about my recent 'customer (dis)service' with SSE... but to do so might identify me, so I'll just say that their customer service agents appear unaware that there is a statutory requirement for them to pay customers compensation if they fail to meet certain performance guarantees... they also have a very vague understanding of the data protection act And they are a big supplier who ought to know the rules... and have the resources not to find themselves failing to comply with statutory requirements. Maybe I should be posting that on the SSE thread though.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Sep 17, 9:38 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    wavelets
    Thanks.

Cheque's in the post
    Cheque returned in post today

Accompanying message says they regret they are unable to accept payment by cheque and for me to refer to my bill for acceptable methods of payment.
    • hehoho
    • By hehoho 24th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hehoho
    Ebico Zero customer service disappointing
    Well I'm a very modest energy user and have been with Ebico for years. The service under SSE was great.

I didn't manage to switch away in August, and have received a letter requesting my quarterly energy readings. The letter is dated 16 Oct 2017 and gives me 7 days to submit the readings. The letter arrived yesterday, 23 October 2017.

You could say - but I wouldn't - that the administration has improved because this letter lingered in Ebico/RHE's office for only 8 days instead of 15.

Having submitted my readings just now, it remains to be seen whether I receive an actual or estimated bill.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 5th Nov 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    I have just received my quarterly bill, it took a while to arrive from me giving them the readings. The bill is a bit confusing, on the front the balance payable is £43.46, sounds reasonable, I am a very low user. Over the page it lists my meter readings from April through to 12th Oct, and the total charges for that is £92.40.

On the front page it confirms that they received my previous payment on 14th August, of £48.94. Underneath it says new charges including this bill, £92.40. Under that it says Please pay £43.46 by 15th November.

Doesn't make sense to me. Why haven't they drawn a line under the previous quarter, and started afresh with the new quarter, using the closing readings of the previous quarter.

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it's about right, but what a faff. It's taken them over three weeks from them preparing the bill to me receiving it.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Nov 17, 6:51 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I have just received my quarterly bill, it took a while to arrive from me giving them the readings. The bill is a bit confusing, on the front the balance payable is £43.46, sounds reasonable, I am a very low user. Over the page it lists my meter readings from April through to 12th Oct, and the total charges for that is £92.40.

On the front page it confirms that they received my previous payment on 14th August, of £48.94. Underneath it says new charges including this bill, £92.40. Under that it says Please pay £43.46 by 15th November.

Doesn't make sense to me. Why haven't they drawn a line under the previous quarter, and started afresh with the new quarter, using the closing readings of the previous quarter.

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it's about right, but what a faff. It's taken them over three weeks from them preparing the bill to me receiving it.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Was your previous bill based on an actual reading, or an estimate?

Mine just details usage in the last quarter, and notes on the first page the value of the previous bill, the payment made, and the new charges.

What I am unhappy about is that it only shows the cost of gas in pence per kWh. There's no mention of the CV and VC values used.... something I've got on my list of things to check up on
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus

What I am unhappy about is that it only shows the cost of gas in pence per kWh. There's no mention of the CV and VC values used.... something I've got on my list of things to check up on
    Allow me.... from the Gas Supply Licence

Information about amount of gas supplied

31.4 If the licensee gives a Bill or statement of account to a Domestic Customer in which Charges for the Supply of Gas are expressed in terms of the Amount of gas supplied, that bill or statement of account must include:

(a) an explanation of the basis on which the amount is calculated from the quantity of gas supplied; and

(b) if, in making the calculation referred to in sub-paragraph (a), an adjustment is made in relation to a Temperature and Pressure Conversion Factor, details of that adjustment.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Allow me.... from the Gas Supply Licence....
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I am obliged

Re-checking the bill in preparation to make an enquiry to Ebico, I now notice the calculation labeled "For example:" (which I thought was just illustrative) does in fact contain CV and VC values which produce the right kWh's for the volume of gas used.

It is debateable whether condition 31.4(b) has been properly complied with (it might just be a lucky coincidence the numbers included in the 'example' fit) but I'm not going to to argue the point with them this time round.

Thanks again for your quick help Hengus.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 6th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    Was your previous bill based on an actual reading, or an estimate?

Mine just details usage in the last quarter, and notes on the first page the value of the previous bill, the payment made, and the new charges.
    My previous bill was estimated, over estimated by quite a lot, so I sent new readings and they sent me an amended bill based on that. So I paid it.

What bugs me is that they send me a letter asking for readings because they are preparing a bill. I add my readings on a regular basis, they only have to look at my page and use the last readings I sent. I am trying to help them by keeping everything up to date, but still they drag their heels by asking for readings and taking ages to then send the bill. Seems a barmy way of running a business.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 6th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 5,406 Thanks
    EachPenny
    My previous bill was estimated, over estimated by quite a lot, so I sent new readings and they sent me an amended bill based on that. So I paid it.

What bugs me is that they send me a letter asking for readings because they are preparing a bill. I add my readings on a regular basis, they only have to look at my page and use the last readings I sent. I am trying to help them by keeping everything up to date, but still they drag their heels by asking for readings and taking ages to then send the bill. Seems a barmy way of running a business.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    That's odd then. I've had bills where they've gone back several quarters recalculating the charges, but only when I've had a long run of estimated bills which are quite a way out, and then finally provided an up to date reading.

TBH it doesn't bother me too much if anyone wants to take ages to send me a bill... it just gives me more time before I have to pay it
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 6th Nov 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4,555 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Hengus
    Provided the actual meter reading that is provided is greater than the previous estimated reading then, mathematically, it doesn't matter whether the supplier re-calculates the charges from the last actual or last estimated reading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin