Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:38 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:38 PM
    Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:38 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ovo

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:07 PM.
Page 26
    • victor2
    • By victor2 7th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 3,145 Thanks
    victor2
    Had to phone OVO today (7/10/17) as not heard anything about switch over to them since I set things in motion in the middle of September. Apparently it somehow got 'stuck'. Having spoken to them they have set up an account and I received email confirming this straight away. However they have set me up on is a different unit price to that quoted on MSE Energy site which is not as good as the deal I transferred on but have promised to honour the Tariffs I was quoted on the MSE Energy site. I should have transferred to OVO at or around the time my present energy deal was due to end on 3rd October, however, this has now left me with paying British Gas standard rate for the next 3 weeks when I should have transferred to OVO at or around the time my present energy deal with British Gas was due to end i.e. 3rd October - not happy about that. Anybody else experiencing this sort of problem?:
    Originally posted by sambrookeluned
    BG should adjust your final bill to effectively charge you on the fixed tariff you are on, even though you went past the end of contract date. They are required to do so if they receive notice you are transferring away within 20 days after the contract end date.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    footyguy
    Had to phone OVO today (7/10/17) as not heard anything about switch over to them since I set things in motion in the middle of September. Apparently it somehow got 'stuck'. Having spoken to them they have set up an account and I received email confirming this straight away. However they have set me up on is a different unit price to that quoted on MSE Energy site which is not as good as the deal I transferred on but have promised to honour the Tariffs I was quoted on the MSE Energy site. I should have transferred to OVO at or around the time my present energy deal was due to end on 3rd October, however, this has now left me with paying British Gas standard rate for the next 3 weeks when I should have transferred to OVO at or around the time my present energy deal with British Gas was due to end i.e. 3rd October - not happy about that. Anybody else experiencing this sort of problem?:
    Originally posted by sambrookeluned
    Don't worry, be happy!

Hopefully no one else has experienced this sort of problem, because according to BG terms (7.2) as long as the new supplier tells BG within 20 working days (about a month) of the end of your previous price agreement with them, then no change in price should occur (providing Ovo then actually switch you in a reasonable timeframe)
    https://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/standard/terms.html#content7

If Ovo have now got the ball rolling again, and your last agreement with BG ended 03-Oct-2017, then I see no reason for either BG not being notified (if not already done) within the 20 working days permitted, nor for OVO to not switch you in a reasonable time.

So if Ovo do now act appropriately, and BG do charge you increased prices as you say, here is the BG complaints procedure
    https://www.britishgas.co.uk/complaints.html

In the unlikley event that Ovo continue to cause unreasonable delays, here is their complaints procedure
    https://www.ovoenergy.com/binaries/content/assets/documents/help/complaints/complaints-procedure-copy_march.pdf
    Last edited by footyguy; 07-10-2017 at 3:29 PM.
    • buzzard
    • By buzzard 9th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    buzzard
    After I left Ovo - because of its poor customer service - they sent me requests for meter readings, then bills for energy used after I left, then a threatening letter. The Energy Ombudsman has now ordered them to pay compensation for that.

As a bonus I am now paying less than I would have been paying with Ovo. No need to pay over the odds for your energy AND get rubbish service with it.
    • markbloke
    • By markbloke 15th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    markbloke
    Incredibly disappointed in their lack of basic customer service since I had their smart meters installed. The gas meter wasn't commissioned properly so isn't sending readings to anything. It's over two weeks since they said they need to send an engineer round (there's no appointment system on offer, they just randomly ring up when they're in the area!). I've had no calls and the only emails I've had are in response to me registering a complaint. The last one was from "Charlotte" who signed herself off as "Charles" (I've heard of gender fluidity but not in the course of writing an email)! Meanwhile they've assured me I can always call them with readings from the gas meter (like I could before I took the day off work to have their scrap metal installed).
    Reading this signature is a waste of time
    • chib
    • By chib 15th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    I've been with Ovo for three years now and find the service to be fantastic. They estimated I should pay around £78 a month but I pay £100 (As we've always done in previous properties) and then lift the positive balance of approx £250 around this time of year for Christmas.

I always made a point of submitting readings when the mobile app or email prompted me, but since getting a smart meter earlier this year we haven't had to.
    • Alfiesmom
    • By Alfiesmom 15th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alfiesmom
    Crefit check
    Yes they did credit check on me when i tried to switch to them from BG a few weeks ago, they refused me!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 15th Nov 17, 1:10 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    Consumerist
    It seems to me that Ovo Energy is more or less liveable-with as long as you never have to involve their incredibly obtuse "Customer Service". That is certainly my past experience of them.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • markbloke
    • By markbloke 15th Nov 17, 2:57 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    markbloke
    It seems to me that Ovo Energy is more or less liveable-with as long as you never have to involve their incredibly obtuse "Customer Service". That is certainly my past experience of them.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    ...and pretty much the bulk of all companies these days. What a shame.
    Reading this signature is a waste of time
    • Roosty
    • By Roosty 21st Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Roosty
    I started to switch to Ovo on 14/09/2017 & it has still not completed. Gas has moved but not Electricity. Also the closing meter readings for both Gas & Electricity from British Gas, are not the opening meter readings that Ovo are using eventhough I gave meter readings to both companies when asked. I have spoken to Ovo customer services and they have told me that they cannot change the opening meter readings for either Gas or Electricity eventhough Electricity has not switched yet. I have switch energy companies many times and never had these problems before. As it stands I would rate Ovo as poor & not recommended.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I have spoken to Ovo customer services and they have told me that they cannot change the opening meter readings for either Gas or Electricity . . .
    Originally posted by Roosty
    What that really means, I think, is that their Customer Service staff are so incompetent that their system dare not let them loose on customer billing issues.

As I understand it, the receiving supplier has the responsibility of ensuring that opening & closing readings are consistent with each other.

You may not get much sense from their complaints procedure until you escalate the complaint to someone authorised to think. Regrettably, it seems to be your only option.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 21-11-2017 at 4:46 PM.
    • dggar
    • By dggar 21st Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    dggar
    I started to switch to Ovo on 14/09/2017 & it has still not completed. Gas has moved but not Electricity. ........
    Originally posted by Roosty
    I switched from Co-oP energy about the same time. I am still getting the message that The Elec is waiting to be validated. I've raise the issue with them via email several times.
    Their last email mail promised it would be sorted by 7th November.
    • makethemostofit
    • By makethemostofit 22nd Nov 17, 10:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    makethemostofit
    Just joined the forum, so please bear with me!

We switched to Ovo a couple of months ago and just had the first proper statement. Apparently we used nearly 500,000 kWh last year of gas, but my bill for gas would be less than £100 this year (it should be about £600).

Presumably it'll all sort itself out, and at least our smart meter has started working again (it was fitted by Scottish Power, but when we moved to SSE, it became a dumb meter) - we mainly use it to see which kettle to use when we're generating electricity from our solar panels!

I think that the discrepancy comes from a mixed up gas reading as you don't need to put the last figure from the smart meter in your reading, but you do for electricity. Can't remember if I was told or not by the guy who fitted the meter, but a sticker to remind us would have been very useful, so the meter readings did go very wrong when we last tried to switch.

I've upped the monthly payment in the hope that we'll benefit from the 3% interest - along with the 2% cashback from our Santander account, that seems a good deal, however, I do wonder how safe our money is with them, presumably there'd be no compensation if they failed as a company.

Whenever I've spoken to customer service, they have seemed on the ball, but the error on the statement does make me wonder.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 4,653 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Hengus
    I've upped the monthly payment in the hope that we'll benefit from the 3% interest - along with the 2% cashback from our Santander account, that seems a good deal, however, I do wonder how safe our money is with them, presumably there'd be no compensation if they failed as a company.

Originally posted by makethemostofit
    If a supplier goes bust, then Ofgem will appoint a Supplier of Last Resort. A key feature of the appointment of a new supplier is that it accepts all credit balances from the failed supplier. These costs are recovered in the form of a levy that is applied to all our bills. In other words, we all paid for the failure of GBEnergy last year.
    • makethemostofit
    • By makethemostofit 22nd Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    makethemostofit
    I presumed that the money would be ringfenced somehow, that's really good to know, thanks!

There is a limit (£1000) that they'll pay interest on which means it's only £30 maximum - and I doubt we'll ever reach that amount, but coupled with the 2% cashback from Santander, we could be talking about almost a free month a year. We've got a two year fix, and in the second year, it rises to 4% (and in the third, if we stayed, it would be 5%). It's a nice little perk if you've got a little to spare, and a nice way of saving some money!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Nov 17, 11:23 AM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    Cardew
    To give some balance, I switched from the MSE BG collective earlier this year and it has all gone like clockwork - timings, meter readings, DD payments.

The difficulty (understandably) is only problems are posted.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Nov 17, 11:30 AM
    • 4,653 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Hengus
    To give some balance, I switched from the MSE BG collective earlier this year and it has all gone like clockwork - timings, meter readings, DD payments.

The difficulty (understandably) is only problems are posted.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Fair comment but the problem with most suppliers is that when they are in a hole, they keep digging. This comes down to the training/experience of the person that is contacted. This is why I like to pose all my questions via an e-mail.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 23rd Nov 17, 9:11 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    Not bad
    Originally posted by Cardew
    I switched from the MSE BG collective to Ovo as well. It took 2 months for the electricity switch to complete and, although I had provided an initial meter reading, the web site kept telling me I hadn't provided any readings until the switch finally completed.

Other than that, it has been fine.
    • SmokeyJoan
    • By SmokeyJoan 1st Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    SmokeyJoan
    Very anxious about the switch to Ovo
    I switched gas and electricity from BG to Ovo via the MSE collective switch on 6th September but according to my latest statement from Ovo, the electricity still hasn't been switched. I've used MSE collective switching several times before but never before had a problem. My husband has just started chemotherapy so I'm in a permanent state of anxiety and could do without this type of hassle. I would leave Ovo if I could, but apparently I can't while the switch is still in progress, so I feel trapped. Can anyone help me resolve this?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 1st Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I switched gas and electricity from BG to Ovo via the MSE collective switch on 6th September but according to my latest statement from Ovo, the electricity still hasn't been switched. I've used MSE collective switching several times before but never before had a problem. My husband has just started chemotherapy so I'm in a permanent state of anxiety and could do without this type of hassle. I would leave Ovo if I could, but apparently I can't while the switch is still in progress, so I feel trapped. Can anyone help me resolve this?
    Originally posted by SmokeyJoan
    Have you tried contacting Cheap Energy Club to help you out?

email: energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com

Hope this helps.

Edit
    Please include your full name, the email address you joined with and your postcode.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 01-12-2017 at 5:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,751Posts Today

6,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin