Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:32 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier British Gas
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:32 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier British Gas 28th Jan 13 at 4:32 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

British Gas

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Page 17
    • FactualGnome
    • By FactualGnome 19th May 17, 10:40 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    FactualGnome
    British Gas BLAME the Customer...
    I finally received a response from British Gas.
    No matter what happens - if a company can reassure you, compensate you and generally appear sympathetic - all can be forgiven. Trust is rebuilt in that company and you can actually go onto recommend them if you receive good customer service...

But what British Gas have done is insult me!
    Following their failures over 5 MONTHS - their explanation was I quote: "These things unfortunately happen. This is a shortfall in service"

I went on to read however: "as such compensation shall be awarded" So I thought ok...until they state: "
    We do not offer compensation for distress and inconvenience caused"?!

The 'Goodwill' gesture British Gas has equated 5 MONTHS of failings and delays to is - £40(?)

The customer service advisor then went on to BLAME me - for not 'guessing' my bill and putting money aside for the future!
    And actually stating that as we had a newborn baby this had obviously caused our Electricity bill to therefore DOUBLE.

Because I wasnt happy with these accusations, British Gas have now taken the Goodwill gesture back.

Its the worst customer service ive ever experienced. I am absolutely gutted to have ever had anything to do with British Gas.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 19th May 17, 11:07 AM
    • 26,579 Posts
    • 12,809 Thanks
    Cardew

The customer service advisor then went on to BLAME me - for not 'guessing' my bill and putting money aside for the future!
    Originally posted by FactualGnome
    Whilst your frustration with BG is understandable, you stated in your earlier post that you 'often switch supplier to save money'; so being a frequent switcher you presumably were aware of the prices on this tariff and can read a meter.

So is it not reasonable that you should have made a guesstimate of how much you owed and put it aside?
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 19th May 17, 11:13 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    Been with them for quite a while and fortunately no complaints.

Also their latest freeby a selection of chocolates has gone down a treat with our kids.
    • Anonymously
    • By Anonymously 1st Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anonymously
    Switched to them with MSE energy club deal and had a bad time as I reported.

Just got an email saying that from July 1 they are taking away one of the sweeteners that was mentioned in the switch ie that of Nectar Points. So seems to me they have changed the contract halfway through.
    • thegoodfight
    • By thegoodfight 6th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thegoodfight
    Hey all.
    Sorry, I've not been around here in a very long time, but I know everyone is incredibly helpful & AWESOME.

I'll keep this very brief.

My housemates recently moved out after 2 years to save for a new home. We'd lived elsewhere for a year prior to that too.

Despite having given relatively regular readings for gas/elec to folk who came to the house (I personally let them in at least 3 times & my housemate phoned in readings) we were told in Sep/Oct '16 that we were in debt despite monthly direct debit payments. Fair enough.

My housemate told us all & together with the BG representative (hours on the phone), she arranged higher payments for a few months (Oct-Feb) to zero the account. Which we did.

She phoned up to get confirmation that the account debit had been cleared which she got & we arranged slightly higher monthly payments. All fine.

My mates were moving out in May, so there was a final metre reading to make sure everything was fair.

The BG rep now said that there was a new debt of £250 (in the couple of months since we were told it was clear & we were paying more so no debt would happen again), which my housemate absolutely contested.

We closed the account as we were obviously disputing this farce, and wanted it looking into.

I got a shout form my housemate this morning saying that BG were now demanding £308 immediately or they would be sending our details to a credit agency.

For the record, we weren't heavy users. I don't have the figures with me (I need my hm to send the paperwork back), so we were paying a normal amount monthly.

Oh! another thing BG did is send letters saying that they have set up new accounts under the landlords name, despite no one asking/okaying that, and of course we've already gone to a new supplier.

Any, and all help is welcome.
    Thank you all.
    • dlvemv
    • By dlvemv 12th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dlvemv
    British Gas collective switch NOT smooth for us
    British Gas couldn’t get our meter readings right for weeks. We switched from Scottish Power, who gave them their closing readings. I immediately gave them our meter readings when they first emailed the request. Although my readings and Scottish Power's readings were the same, British Gas still got it wrong. I would submit readings on our online account and they would email me the next day asking for readings. <sigh>

After countless calls and emails to customer service throughout October, I was assured they had the right readings in their system, but the first bill was incorrect. It took from 12 October until 27 January to get them to sort out the problems.

We were with Scottish Power for 15 years before trying this collective switch. Every year we would negotiate a new SP tariff -- always competitive. The same as one with British Gas, but without the £30 cashback. Their customer service is impeccable and they never made a mistake. I will go back to them next year. I wish MSE could team up with Scottish Power for a collective switch!!

NOW British Gas raised our tariff, even though we are going into the summer months and obviously will be in credit. I am not confident about their systems or their staff's competence.

Does anyone know if there is a way to update my Cheap Energy Club online account dashboard to show what they are actually charging me? They have raised my monthly direct debit by £15! I know they will owe me ££ throughout the summer and at the end of the contract, but their website does not allow me to adjust my direct debit.
    Last edited by dlvemv; 12-06-2017 at 4:30 PM. Reason: typo in title
    • FactualGnome
    • By FactualGnome 19th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    FactualGnome
    Update - The ombudsman agreed with my complaint, that British Gas had made repeated service errors (that I was not to blame!) and through this British Gas had to increase the financial award credited to our account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,349Posts Today

8,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin