Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power 28th Jan 13 at 4:26 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Scottish Power

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Page 28
    • AnonBeth
    • By AnonBeth 1st Jan 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnonBeth
    Worst company ever
    I had to complain to the Ombudsman twice because Scottish Power continued to charge me for energy after I had switched to E-On. S P ignored my requests for refund, for assistance, promised lots but did nothing to help, whereas E-On did their best to help me sort out the problem and gave me information which enabled me to complete the first complaint to the Ombudsman. Then having been proven to be at fault, a few months after the Ombudsman's decision S P started charging me for energy consumption again! SP's costumer service was non existent so .... back to the Ombudsman again. The whole thing took about 9 months to sort out. I would never recommend them!
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 2nd Jan 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    oldwiring
    I am one who has had no real problems with them over some years.

As to adverse reports here and on sites like TrustPilot, and similar that deal with other consumer feedback, such as TripAdvisor, I'd advise looking at the age of the entries. Those more than 2 years old I'd give less weight to.
    BTW @AnonBeth How recent was the start of you problem? Is it in another thread?
    • minxette
    • By minxette 9th Jan 17, 5:49 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    minxette
    I had numerous issues with Scottish Power..

Constantly received estimated bills despite inputting correct meter readings online.
    Had my direct debit changed 4 times without notification, going from £40 to £120 within 3 months despite the fact my account was over £1000 in credit!
    On closing my account in November 2015 when I moved out I phoned them with final meter readings, took pictures too and was advised that I was owed £1200. I provided my forwarding address for them to send me a cheque.. instead I received a further bill for £90. I disputed this with them and the said it was an error, I kept receiving bills until March when I eventually just paid to close my account and hopefully never have to deal with them again...
    I kept receiving emails asking me to input meter readings, and kept calling to ask why my account was still open, every time I spoke to them I was told my account would be closed and I wouldn't hear from them again..
    In November 2016, a year after moving I received another bill for £175 but under another account number. They have me down as the owner of the property instead of the tenant and are trying to bill me for the 2 months that the property was empty! I opened another complaint with them at the start of December and I am still waiting on any proper update other than them sending 2 emails advising me that they are still looking into my problem and it is taking longer than expected!
    Yesterday I received a final demand bill despite customer services telling me that the forwarding address I supplied would be deleted and that no further bills would be sent to me!

They are the worst company I have ever dealt with and I would never use them again.
    • By 2010 26th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 3,312 Thanks
    QUOTE REMOVED BY FORUM TEAM
    Originally posted by ScotPowEmployee
    Why don`t you expose them then and stop making ill advised comments on these boards.

In fact if what you say is true, it`s your duty to send all the evidence and get them jailed.

I`ll watch for the case coming to court with interest.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 27-01-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    • trants
    • By trants 16th Feb 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trants
    absolute shambles , switched mid January as existing tariff deal was ending with previous supplier .Received welcome e mail then correspondence arrived in post showing wrong supply address even though letter sent to proper address . queried but told everything ok but supply address mistake could not be rectified until after switch , strange but accepted this . out of the blue then received e mail stating transfer had been cancelled , due to previous long queues on telephone decided to e mail customer services as they state replies within 48 hrs . 1 week later still no contact , ring customer services who state the transfer had been cancelled but couldnt explain why and advised I go through the whole application process again , I dont think so . Basically they dont appear able to rectify their mistakes and just cancel transfers without explanation , cannot recommend .
    • ayrforce1
    • By ayrforce1 18th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ayrforce1
    Switching is easy???????? We rent our current home and gas central heating was installed, for us moving in, doing away with storage heaters. The gas and electricity were both with Scottish Power. I moved the gas to Scottish Gas just after we moved in around 3 years ago, no problem. Then last year I had a dispute with Scottish Power over a bill for our previous home, where they attempted to charge us for electricity for a period considerably after we had moved and for an account we had no knowledge of. They ended up paying me. Due to this matter I decided to switch my electricity to Scottish Gas, should be straight forward, no.
    The meter which was used for the storage heating is still in place , serves nothing and did not have any standing charges, basically its obsolete. Scottish Gas have taken over the active meter and since around September 2016 we have been paying them for our standing charge and electricity but they will not take over the obsolete meter as it belongs to Scottish power. Scottish power say that Scottish Gas must take over both meters, and for several months they took a charge from our direct debit, and they are holding this in our account .
    We contacted our landlord who put a third party onto the case but several months have gone by and they cannot get this resolved.
    So to sum up we pay Scottish gas for electricity and gas and Scottish Power still have an account for us with our money which they will not release and they are not interested in resolving the matter.
    Switching is easy ?????????
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 18th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    hybernia
    Ayrforce1: constructive inertia seems, on the basis of our own family's experience of this appalling company, to be built in to its modus operandi: the longer it can get away with allowing a situation that exists to its commercial benefit to continue, the longer it will do so.

It is as contemptuous of its customers as it is of the industry regulator, though seeing as this outfit should more accurately be called Spanish Power -- because that's what it is: Spanish -- it's probably not too surprising that Madrid takes not the slightest notice of London. Quite why it still has any customers left -- though rather more to the point, quite why it is still licensed to operate in the UK -- is a mystery.

It's saddening, as well as infuriating, to learn of your own difficulties, as it seems you have no option but to follow, with immediate effect, the complaints procedure already followed by so many before you:

1) A formal, written complaint to ScottishPower. Send it by Royal Mail Special Delivery so that you'll have the date of receipt by the company and the name of the employee who signed for it. Keep the receipt safe as you'll be able to claim the cost back as part of your submission to the Ombudsman Service (Energy) and claim for refund of expenses incurred;

2) ScottishPower will, as noted above, almost certainly do nothing about your complaint, and will instead stick to its current position of keeping your money in its own bank account. Your dispute will go unresolved --- take no notice of the information which the company publishes on its own website about how it handles customer complaints: our family found it to be just pious cant -- and so you can then, after the due period of time elapsed, send a written complaint to the Ombudsman;

3) ScottishPower will eventually pay up, explaining that it's all down to a problem encountered with a new IT system (the system was installed years ago, but the excuse self-servingly lingers on.) Note that the Ombudsman is so nervous of ever being seen to be punitive -- because being punitive is not within its remit -- that the "goodwill" sum you'll be offered by ScottishPower (in addition to the return of your money) will be comparatively paltry. (I say comparatively, because UK consumers have a regulatory watchdog with few teeth and an Ombudsman service which was purposely set up to be entirely toothless.)

Finally . . . do NOT enter into ANY telephone conversation with this company's representatives. Phone conversations and their contents do NOT constitute reliable evidence in the event of an Ombudsman investigation. If you have to respond quickly to the company, do so by email, keeping a copy of the message or messages you authored and a copy of the answer or answers you receive (which in our family's experience, appeared to emanate from somewhere in India and were often barely literate.)

Meantime, the company will doubtless continue with its shameless practice of making charitable contributions which it can then publicise in self-righteous newspaper advertisements as evidence of how caring it truly is and why everyone should get their gas and electricity from so saintly an enterprise.
    • By 2010 19th Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 3,312 Thanks
    Ayrforce1: constructive inertia seems, on the basis of our own family's experience of this appalling company, to be built in to its modus operandi: the longer it can get away with allowing a situation that exists to its commercial benefit to continue, the longer it will do so.

It is as contemptuous of its customers as it is of the industry regulator, though seeing as this outfit should more accurately be called Spanish Power -- because that's what it is: Spanish -- it's probably not too surprising that Madrid takes not the slightest notice of London. Quite why it still has any customers left -- though rather more to the point, quite why it is still licensed to operate in the UK -- is a mystery.

It's saddening, as well as infuriating, to learn of your own difficulties, as it seems you have no option but to follow, with immediate effect, the complaints procedure already followed by so many before you:

1) A formal, written complaint to ScottishPower. Send it by Royal Mail Special Delivery so that you'll have the date of receipt by the company and the name of the employee who signed for it. Keep the receipt safe as you'll be able to claim the cost back as part of your submission to the Ombudsman Service (Energy) and claim for refund of expenses incurred;

2) ScottishPower will, as noted above, almost certainly do nothing about your complaint, and will instead stick to its current position of keeping your money in its own bank account. Your dispute will go unresolved --- take no notice of the information which the company publishes on its own website about how it handles customer complaints: our family found it to be just pious cant -- and so you can then, after the due period of time elapsed, send a written complaint to the Ombudsman;

3) ScottishPower will eventually pay up, explaining that it's all down to a problem encountered with a new IT system (the system was installed years ago, but the excuse self-servingly lingers on.) Note that the Ombudsman is so nervous of ever being seen to be punitive -- because being punitive is not within its remit -- that the "goodwill" sum you'll be offered by ScottishPower (in addition to the return of your money) will be comparatively paltry. (I say comparatively, because UK consumers have a regulatory watchdog with few teeth and an Ombudsman service which was purposely set up to be entirely toothless.)

Finally . . . do NOT enter into ANY telephone conversation with this company's representatives. Phone conversations and their contents do NOT constitute reliable evidence in the event of an Ombudsman investigation. If you have to respond quickly to the company, do so by email, keeping a copy of the message or messages you authored and a copy of the answer or answers you receive (which in our family's experience, appeared to emanate from somewhere in India and were often barely literate.)

Meantime, the company will doubtless continue with its shameless practice of making charitable contributions which it can then publicise in self-righteous newspaper advertisements as evidence of how caring it truly is and why everyone should get their gas and electricity from so saintly an enterprise.
    Originally posted by hybernia
    --------------------- or use your legal rights if someone owes you money and issue a money claims online, which they`ll take more notice of.
    SP know the lengthy proceedure and play on it so issue a summons instead.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
    • ayrforce1
    • By ayrforce1 24th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ayrforce1
    Many thanks for the guidance. Regarding their "new" IT system , yes I`ve been down that road when I challenged them over the supposed unpaid bill for my previous home.
    • Frein
    • By Frein 5th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frein
    Solar Panel Users Beware!
    We have solar panels and swore after switching four years ago that we would never again go throught the 9 months of agony that it took . However, thanks to MSE we found we could save 30% so switched to Scottish Power from First Utility a couple of months ago, leaving our solar generation tariff administration with FU. All seemed well and we applied to change to an Economy 7 tariff to save even more with SP. After 4 (FOUR) appointments - during which time we were moved to a standard tariff because we were waiting for a new meter (??) - an engineer arrived today to change the meter. In doing so he removed the Export meter from our solar generation set up. So far we have spent three hours on the phone to SP who at various points have tried to put the onus on MicroGen, First Utility and even the original (and now defunct) installer of the panels. We are now awaiting a call back from G4S who have the contract to install for SP. We do not believe we should be dealing with them direct - our contract is with SP. Can anyone suggest a route to a solution?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    Hengus
    We have solar panels and swore after switching four years ago that we would never again go throught the 9 months of agony that it took . However, thanks to MSE we found we could save 30% so switched to Scottish Power from First Utility a couple of months ago, leaving our solar generation tariff administration with FU. All seemed well and we applied to change to an Economy 7 tariff to save even more with SP. After 4 (FOUR) appointments - during which time we were moved to a standard tariff because we were waiting for a new meter (??) - an engineer arrived today to change the meter. In doing so he removed the Export meter from our solar generation set up. So far we have spent three hours on the phone to SP who at various points have tried to put the onus on MicroGen, First Utility and even the original (and now defunct) installer of the panels. We are now awaiting a call back from G4S who have the contract to install for SP. We do not believe we should be dealing with them direct - our contract is with SP. Can anyone suggest a route to a solution?
    Originally posted by Frein
    I know this might sound daft but have you spoken to your FIT provider? They might be able help get some form of resolution as steps will have to be taken to change the meter number on the FIT database. I had a guy from G4S visit about a month or so ago who looked carefully at the meter; took down its number etc.
    • Frein
    • By Frein 5th Apr 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frein
    Solar Panel Users Beware!
    Thanks Hengus,

But yes, our FIT supplier is First Utility and they are part of the vicious circle we are rotating with today!
    • amberz
    • By amberz 7th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    amberz
    SP meter readers
    Do SP charge extra if it has been an estimated meter reading? I have asked, searched and all I find is why it could be estimated i.e.not getting to them in time for bill going out.
    Just wondered...
    • victor2
    • By victor2 7th Apr 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    victor2
    Do SP charge extra if it has been an estimated meter reading? I have asked, searched and all I find is why it could be estimated i.e.not getting to them in time for bill going out.
    Just wondered...
    Originally posted by amberz
    Haven't heard of anybody who does, so I would say no.
    Of course, if the estimate is higher than the actual, you will get billed more for the period covered, and less if lower. It all gets sorted out when an actual reading is taken. Low estimates are often the trigger for complaints of "huge" bills you see on here...
    • By 2010 7th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 3,312 Thanks
    I have noticed with SP that as soon as you enter your meter readings online they immediately produce an up to date bill.
    • Janine chambers
    • By Janine chambers 16th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Janine chambers
    Switched in march, went smoothly, but tried to change my direct debit details and has been a disaster from start to finish. Scottish Power don't seem to be able to manage a change of direct debit details and have sent me emails saying I haven't paid my bill despite the direct debit been set up on my New account. Two phone calls later and they still can't take the payment until 27th of June The direct debit was set up yesterday 15th of May and they cannot take one out for 27th of May can't understand it myself. Wish I had of stayed with my previous supplier. The saving is notWorth the hassle.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 18th May 17, 1:29 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    hybernia
    Switched in march, went smoothly, but tried to change my direct debit details and has been a disaster from start to finish. Scottish Power don't seem to be able to manage a change of direct debit details and have sent me emails saying I haven't paid my bill despite the direct debit been set up on my New account. Two phone calls later and they still can't take the payment until 27th of June The direct debit was set up yesterday 15th of May and they cannot take one out for 27th of May can't understand it myself. Wish I had of stayed with my previous supplier. The saving is notWorth the hassle.
    Originally posted by Janine chambers
    DDs can take a few days to be fully operational, depending upon how efficient a bank happens to be. Setting up a DD on the 15th of the month for it to become effective 12 days later is, however, more than sufficient time.

Sadly, your experience is but one more of the countless many examples of Spanish Power being perfectly capable of managing matters financial to its own advantage, but when it comes to a customer's finances? No chance. On this occasion, as on others, it will likely claim that the problem is all down to an IT systems upgrade which actually occurred several years ago but is a really useful excuse to keep trotting out, especially to the Regulator.

Just make sure when you leave that you take a final meter reading(s) and, ideally, photograph them. You are, after all, dealing with what Which? described as the worst major company in Britain for customer treatment / customer service.
    • PhilBB
    • By PhilBB 26th May 17, 10:41 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PhilBB
    My 6 years experience
    I’m prompted to give my feedback on SP by my most recent experience.

I have been with SP since April 2011. I think that move from standard suppliers (SSE/BG) went fine.

I have considered moving a number of times but they end up being the cheapest tariff at renewal apart from the odd obscure supplier with unknown performance.

There have been some hiccups along the way and my observation is that the more they were criticised and tried to improve the worse things have got.

Telephone support is mixed, particularly in the past when it was near impossible to get through. Online support has always been a waste of time; their personnel can’t respond correctly to anything other than the simplest of requests and basically anything that one should be able to do yourself online.

Their direct debit calculation does not take account of when the DD is taken so just before DD date vs just after will give quite different results. In the beginning my DD used to yoyo but if you rang up and could get through they’d just change it. Then I discovered the DD manager (or did they introduce it with the new IT system?). I record my meter readings monthly and do my own graphs and calculations in excel. I can then calculate what my DD should be and use the DD manager to set that. This sounds onerous but I have built up from something simple over the years. The DD manager graph is quite a good way of setting it if you don’t want to do your own calculations, but I wish I had entered monthly readings over the years as this would have given them better data to work on; I only provide readings when asked.

I once changed my DD quite close to the date and rather than it just change a month later they missed a DD so I made a manual payment to correct it.

I have stuck with them on the basis that I found I could do everything online, change tariff and set my own DD.

My latest experience -
    Most of the time I have changed tariff mid term if I found they had a cheaper tariff. This year my tariff expired. As the new cheapest tariff was more I agonised about when to select, thinking I would be shifted immediately. Then I noticed that the available tariffs were rising. I had analysed and chosen tariff Online Fixed Price Energy April 2018 but by the time I made the decision this had changed to a v2 version of this tariff with increased cost. I selected it online but nothing shows this in your account you just get a confirmation email and you keep getting emails about your tariff expiring and the online account also shows your tariff expiring. The switch confirmation email said the new tariff might take up to a week from the switch date to show in the online account. As far as I am concerned it ought to be shown as pending in the online account and it shouldn’t take more than a day or two at most (allowing for their systems to process a large no of changes on a tariff expiry date). It’s just a matter of programming. The tariff change date came and went. After 10 days it was still showing my old tariff. I contacted online support to be told to select a new tariff. Of course by then the tariff I had chosen had gone to be replaced by more expensive choices. I rang telephone support who gave me an email address to forward my tariff change confirmation email to and it would be changed manually. How come they couldn’t see the pending tariff change and action it? I duly did this and they changed me to the wrong tariff! That’s the trouble with so many tariffs with similar names. Another email to them got it changed to the correct one. I then changed the DD to allow for the increase in tariff. In the account overview my DD shows as £0.00 but if I go into the DD manager it shows what I have set. I will see if they take the next DD correctly. Whilst doing my calculation for new DD I spotted that the v2 tariff had dual fuel discount but not online discount. The v1 version I had first considered did have both discounts. More recent Online Fixed Price Energy tariffs currently on offer have both discounts. Looks like someone made a mistake with the Online Fixed Price Energy April 2018 v2 tariff and accidentally missed off the online discount. I queried this via online support and got a useless response – ignoring the fact their response had mistakes, the jist was all they told me was what I told them. I suppose the cynic in me says why would they admit a mistake which was in their favour; however I doubt the representative even thought that far. After all, the tariff price sheet was there for me to read when I signed up.

During all of this I had seen the moneysaving expert cheap energy club offering and wished I had left SP. I have stayed with SP for so long as they were cheap and as long as I could manage online okay I avoid the possibility of adding to the horror stores you read of in forums of when people leave. I’m half tempted to leave and swallow the £60 cancellation fee to be free of them but think it might be messier than leaving at end of tariff.

In summary, prices are generally almost the cheapest. Support is poor, particularly the overseas online support. If you can do it all online and it works which it does 95% of the time then all is fine. My bills have always been correct.

I am very apprehensive about when I leave!
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 26th May 17, 12:29 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    hybernia
    Interesting read, Phil, and many thanks for providing it.

Our family has, like many another, had numerous bad experiences with numerous UK energy providers, going all the way back to that unnecessary privatisation.

About the worst we ever dealt with was British Gas, a clear front-runner in the field for lying, for incompetence, for indifference and for profit-seeking at any cost. There was no Energy Ombudsman service back then, though its predecessor was of similar calibre, i.e.: as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Fast forward more than a decade and we're very happy, very contented, British Gas customers. Why? Because BG overhauled its customer relations from top to bottom a couple of years back and now provides an energy account online management service that, in our considerable experience, is the absolute best.

We always input out meter readings the day after the monthly DD is taken. BG's onscreen facility shows us the date and totals of the last readings; the amount spent / energy amount consumed since then; and instantly updates that on-screen information once we've entered our readings. BG then follows this up -- immediately -- with an email saying 'thanks for the information; your next bill isn't due yet but this information really helps us in making sure everything's accurate' (words to that effect.)

Overhauling a system -- and an energy supplier -- as bad as British Gas used to be has been costly, but BG bit the bullet so all kudos to it.

By contrast: Spanish Power hasn't the slightest interest in improving itself or modifying its behaviour or doing anything other than raking in as much money as it can get. Never mind the consequences to the customer: they can always be fobbed off with Ombudsman-backed £30 'goodwill payments' as well as stories of how SP is "working hard to correct IT difficulties arising from the installation of new systems". And if image-making looks like being a problem, well, SP can always take out half page ads in national broadsheet newspapers in which it congratulates itself in helping cancer patients with its charitable donations.

It's doubtful there's an uglier or more repellent company operating in the UK than Spanish Power. Why the UK regulator continues to allow it to operate is not so much a mystery as testimony to its supine toothlessness.
    • lemony_7
    • By lemony_7 29th May 17, 7:21 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    lemony_7
    SCOTTISH POWER

Did you switch go smoothly?
    Yes, very smoothly

Have you had problems since?
    So many problems! Once we had switched I changed our direct debit date via Twitter support (for ease). The DD came out on the wrong date putting us into our overdraft. I called them and they changed it, but couldn't refund our money. During the month I checked my account and the date was still wrong so I changed it myself.

Next month the DD came out on the wrong date AGAIN, putting us into our overdraft. I called AGAIN to change it, but they also changed the amount to double! I am still fighting this, but it has been nothing but hassle. I have put in two formal complaints so far and we have been with them two months!

Is it easy to contact?
    Yes.
    Last edited by lemony_7; 29-05-2017 at 7:21 PM. Reason: Title/name of supplier
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

704Posts Today

8,106Users online

Martin's Twitter