Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:26 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power 28th Jan 13 at 4:26 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Scottish Power

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Page 26
    • backfoot
    • By backfoot 20th May 16, 10:54 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    backfoot

The colloquial version of Caveat Emptor applies = You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Flak awaited
    Originally posted by jeallen01
    Energy purchases are nothing to do with Caveat Emptor. The Energy Suppliers have legal and Regulatory Obligations which bind them to perform to certain Standards. Caveat Emptor concerns the principle that the seller of a product cannot be held responsible for its quality and that the purchaser assumes the risks of the purchase.

Choosing a Supplier may be based on price or previous performance or a combination of these and other factors.

Scottish Power are currently one of the worst performers as evidenced by their own statistics, hefty fines from OFGEM and ongoing problems with their new IT system. Of course, many customers are thankfully unaffected but I would be more swayed to currently stay away than join in spite of your supporting information.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 21st May 16, 7:15 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    Blackfoot

My post was not supporting SP! Just saying that, personally, I did not have too many problems with them - other people obviously have had far worse experiences!
    • batemansxxxb
    • By batemansxxxb 24th May 16, 9:54 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    batemansxxxb
    Recently switched from Npower to Scottish power,got an email asking me to input opening meter readings on the 27 April, so did so, expectoing the readings to be passed to y prev suplier,so they could provide a closing bill,received an estimated bill from Npower dated the 20 May,so rang them this morning,it turns out that Scottish power didn't pass on the opening read,rand Scottish power also,they were going to use the estimated readings from Npower, i just hope this isn't a sign of things to come,they seem totally incompetent
    • Malmo
    • By Malmo 16th Aug 16, 11:12 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Malmo
    Another negative vote from me for this terrible company.

I had moved into my new home at the end of September & on that very same day I spoke with someone in the Home Movers team in Scottish Power who processed my request to set up a new account & direct debit. Since then, I had no correspondence, either electronic or postal, and no debits taken from my bank account so I called Customer Service in February to find out what the status of my account was & spoke with an agent who confirmed that no prior history of my contact or account details could be found on their system at my address! She created a new account as a remedy.

On top of this blunder, after the "new" account was active, I noticed that the correspondence address on an online statement was completely incorrect, addressed to someone in a completely different town/city...I can't even begin to imagine how they managed that. Possibly some very flawed customer profile identification logic they built into their IT application.

I have experience in enterprise-wide customer service IT projects for a very large retail corporation and so this looks pretty poor for the company (hence why I had already switched away from Scottish Power at an old previous address). I would advise against switching to them. I switched soon after to Ovo, whom I've switched to before at a previous address.
    • Sosumi
    • By Sosumi 16th Aug 16, 5:25 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Sosumi

We were with “Scottish” (now Spanish) Power for about four years until we switched to Co-op Energy in early 2014.

Just as well we did, their own accounting system went toes-up at about that time.

During the “cooling off” period of the switch, I was abroad and some extremely pushy person from their Customer Retention department rang my wife at work , during the afternoon , when she was in a board meeting , and demanded to be put through to her!

I asked if that had been embarrassing but she smiled and said sweetly, “Initially. But once I found out what he was ranting on about, I gave him such a roasting on the telephone that at the end of it all the other Directors gave me a standing ovation!”.

Somehow, I don’t think we’ll be going back to SP.

Especially now that they have introduced Early Exit Fees on many tariffs.

It took them four months and three increasingly vigorous prods before we received a cheque of some £90 for our final credit balance.

Co-op Energy’s accounting system then went into meltdown itself the following year, so we switched promptly to E.ON on a collective fix that was also £92 a year cheaper and have been with E.ON, on one fix or another (mostly collectives) ever since. E.ON has been brilliant.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 16th Aug 16, 5:38 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    Does that mean that E.ON has finally bit the bullet and got its act together - probably doesn't want any more large fines for screwing customers around!
    • Sosumi
    • By Sosumi 16th Aug 16, 7:00 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Sosumi

Oh, yes. For the last 17 months since I switched to it, E.ON has been faultless – excellent in every respect.

Can’t speak for how it was before then because I wasn’t with them.

One of the things that’s struck me is how many of those on here whom I respect also now seem to be with E.ON. I plough my own furrow but it’s reassuring to see others have come quietly to the same conclusion.

Still, in two years time who knows what may have altered among the suppliers?

Nothing lasts forever and things can change quickly (as Co-op Energy’s customers found to their cost). But, certainly, I’m very happy with E.ON at the moment. Hope it lasts!
    • klarko2003
    • By klarko2003 18th Aug 16, 4:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    klarko2003
    Scottish power are the worst of the worst. 2008 i was led to believe switching from scottish gas to scottish power was cheaper. since 2009 ive been in debt to scottish power, phoned them on a number of occassions to come check my meters for faults ( on holiday for 3 month came home to gas bill for over 200gbp and an electricity bill for around the same). i live alone in a 1 bedroom flat. phoned them anyway said they need to check out the meters, told me i would have to pay the bills before they could do anything about it. phoned around 5 times in 2 yrs all with same responce and bills adding up quickly, lost all hope and got prepay meters in thinking i could manage the amount i use and it would be on record. wrong theyre now sending bills out saying im not using enough gas or electricity and billing me for a few hundred again. thankfully i came across martins site and have now lodged a complaint to scottish power complaints and because i have complained with no sucsess on a number of accassions i have also opened a case with ombusman
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 18th Aug 16, 7:31 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Oh, yes. For the last 17 months since I switched to it, E.ON has been faultless – excellent in every respect.

Can’t speak for how it was before then because I wasn’t with them.

One of the things that’s struck me is how many of those on here whom I respect also now seem to be with E.ON. I plough my own furrow but it’s reassuring to see others have come quietly to the same conclusion.

Still, in two years time who knows what may have altered among the suppliers?

Nothing lasts forever and things can change quickly (as Co-op Energy’s customers found to their cost). But, certainly, I’m very happy with E.ON at the moment. Hope it lasts!
    Originally posted by Sosumi

I've been with E.on for almost 5 years now, so that speaks for itself?

I've also had their smart meter system for 4 years now i think, which is another reason for staying with E.on. I know i was one of the first to get it. It's been invaluable for someone obsessed with saving money on energy?

I did almost switch to N Power last year, but after reading the complaints on this site, i cancelled my switch and now i'm happy to play the switching game via E.on tariffs, including collectives (4 or 5 in the last 12 months, all with E.on.)

Still, i don't need to switch for another 23 months if necessary?

It's definitely down to individual choice and priorities / needs, when choosing energy suppliers and tariffs. No two people have the same requirements.
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 18-08-2016 at 7:37 AM. Reason: added comment
    yabba dabba don't
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 18th Aug 16, 10:26 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    I've just found out that the house I am buying is with Scottish Power on both gas and electricity.

Upon reading some of the posts here I feel I may need to switch shortly after moving.
    • jeallen01
    • By jeallen01 18th Aug 16, 12:19 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jeallen01
    Matt

Surely you will start a new contract with SP when you take over the property? So get your new supplier set up before that date and then switch within, I believe, the cooling off period on the SP contract and I would assume that you would not pay any exit charges(?).
    • turnip22
    • By turnip22 18th Aug 16, 12:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turnip22
    I recently switched to SP from EON as I was assured that they could read the EON Smart Meter.
    They Can't and won't be able to for the foreseeable future! What a bind.

Also their website, app (android) and automated telephone service would not accept initial meter readings.

I spent half an hour on the phone sorting things out and getting the bad news.
    Good job it's a freephone number.
    Saving loads compared to EON (AgeUK) hopefully
    • Sosumi
    • By Sosumi 18th Aug 16, 1:10 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Sosumi

I recently switched to SP from EON as I was assured that they could read the EON Smart Meter.
    They Can't and won't be able to for the foreseeable future! What a bind.

Also their website, app (android) and automated telephone service would not accept initial meter readings.

I spent half an hour on the phone sorting things out and getting the bad news.
    Good job it's a freephone number.
    Saving loads compared to EON (AgeUK) hopefully
    Originally posted by turnip22

Assured by whom? It was a blatant lie which you should report if that's what you were told by SP.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 19th Aug 16, 10:02 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Matt

Surely you will start a new contract with SP when you take over the property? So get your new supplier set up before that date and then switch within, I believe, the cooling off period on the SP contract and I would assume that you would not pay any exit charges(?).
    Originally posted by jeallen01

I believe that is how it will work but not entirely sure. Looks like we will be moving in mid-October. From what I understand I will need to ring SP, give them the moving in reading and ensure they put me on their lowest tariff that doesn't include an exit fee, then contact a new provider and let them deal with the switch.

Hoping MSE will have some good deals on around that time to help me further.
    • Malmo
    • By Malmo 19th Aug 16, 11:22 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Malmo
    I believe that is how it will work but not entirely sure. Looks like we will be moving in mid-October. From what I understand I will need to ring SP, give them the moving in reading and ensure they put me on their lowest tariff that doesn't include an exit fee, then contact a new provider and let them deal with the switch.

Hoping MSE will have some good deals on around that time to help me further.
    Originally posted by mattk_180
    You will just need to ensure that you are not signed up to a tariff with a tie in when you speak to them, so usually their standard tariff. As soon as you've done this, you are free to shop around and switch. I'd advise doing this sooner rather than later.
    • kittieviolet
    • By kittieviolet 1st Sep 16, 6:11 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    kittieviolet
    I swapped myself and my dad to Scottish Power last month. They lost both of our meter readings twice and sent an incorrect gas meter reading to my former supplier so my account is now in dispute. Not impressed
    • stevegrass777
    • By stevegrass777 8th Sep 16, 12:00 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    stevegrass777
    I swapped myself and my dad to Scottish Power last month. They lost both of our meter readings twice and sent an incorrect gas meter reading to my former supplier so my account is now in dispute. Not impressed
    Originally posted by kittieviolet
    Move straight away!
    I had trouble with sp and npower and you give them the benefit of the doubt and they just get worse causing more stress.
    So I would move pronto if you can get away do it.
    Obviously don't go with another car crash supplier like npower.
    • ittutor
    • By ittutor 12th Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ittutor
    Just before my husband died 2 ½ years ago he switched our gas and electricity supplier to Scottish Power on a 1yr fixed tariff. After his death when I rang to transfer the account into my name they cancelled the fix and put me onto their standard rate which cost almost double. They said there were no cheaper deals available at that time, and they were quite insensitive to my situation to boot. At one point they asked to speak to my husband! I therefore switched to Eon through the Cheap Energy Club and was very satisfied with their customer service.

However when I did a recent price comparison switching back to Scottish Power would save £100 a year so I started the switching process through the Cheap Energy Club. Imagine my distress when the Welcome Pack arrived addressed to my husband, especially as his name was printed across the top of the page in very large letters. When I rang Scottish Power they were unable to change the account into my name as their computer automatically picked up the details of the previous occupier and they couldn't enter into an agreement with a deceased person. I had no choice but to cancel the switch.

I'm really puzzled about this. What if I had sold my house to someone else? Would Scottish Power be unable to enter into a deal with them?
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 7th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    hybernia
    I'm really puzzled about this. What if I had sold my house to someone else? Would Scottish Power be unable to enter into a deal with them?
    Originally posted by ittutor
    I've only just caught up with this, so apologies for late response. In answer to your question: it's doubtful Scottish Power will ever be capable of dealing properly with anyone. Why it still has any customers at all is a mystery.

Our family's experience of Scottish Power is that it is a lying, cheating, bullying, incompetent outfit that's as "Scottish" as paella. A final bill which it produced at switchover time to a rival supplier was blatantly extortionate and remained consistently unsupported by Spanish Power in terms of evidence or justification. It treated our family members with absolute contempt. And set a debt collection agency on them.

Contact with Spanish Power was conducted via email (because no-one should EVER do so by telephone calls) and the company's 'correspondence' was mendacious, obstructive and, on one memorable occasion, entirely in. . . Spanish.

The complaint our family members raised with the Energy Ombudsman was upheld in all respects, based on the fully documented history of the dispute, and Spanish Power had to pay compensation (otherwise known as "a goodwill gesture") and refund monies which it turned out were owing according to the Ombudsman Service's calculations.

It's a shame that you had such a distressing experience at the hands of Spanish Power but thankfully, you're clear of them now. Because of the timing, it seems our case was one of several hundred, or possibly several thousand, which led to Ofgem's most recent £multi-million sanction of this appalling company.

There's no consumer satisfaction to be derived from that though. Spanish Power should have had its license to operate in this country withdrawn long since.
    • Bob Bridges
    • By Bob Bridges 13th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bob Bridges
    Scottish Power - it's a NO from me.

Have been in credit every month since joining but they still doubled my direct debit last month. Customer service was rude, and full of bull. Offered me two estimated consumption figures " we use two systems".

So I'm off. Terrible service, avoid.

Bob
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

1,712Users online

Martin's Twitter