Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:23 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:23 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE 28th Jan 13 at 4:23 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

SSE (which includes Atlantic, Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric and Swalec)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-07-2017 at 2:03 PM.
Page 2
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 2,538 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    When I did my switch last year they sent me an email and letters in the post.

I think it's referring to last debits, when you submit the final readings, give them a call and pay the final balance then. They may use the credit from one to pay the debit from the other but I would give them a call just to be sure.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 7th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Thanks.

I received a activation email today, i'm now waiting on the activation code.

I believe my elec is in credit so I should get that money back, I presume my existing supplier will send that back to me automatically?

Thanks

Kev
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 10th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Got my contact through the post but no activation code yet, still waiting - was hoping it would have come by now to get the online account setup

When do they give you an exact date? I was told about 3 weeks but no exact date to switch yet, thought it might of been specified on contract but not.

Kevin
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 18th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update

Hi all, Just a update, not received activation code yet and not received any specific date to switch yet... 3 weeks is up next weekend so wondering if I should call them during the week and get a update incase there has been any problems.

I'm concious they are increasing there prices but hoping that wont affect me as I signed up prior to the increase, fingers crossed.

Kev
    • katejo
    • By katejo 19th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    katejo
    I get my statements by email with a link to my online account. i can then download the bills and save them. i get little by post.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 20th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Hi,

Yes i signed up for online statements etc, but when I got a email saying Activation, I clicked the link and it said they would send me a letter with 4 digit code and when I got it to click on a different link and enter the code, I've yet to get the code though and its been over a week so think I might have to phone them. i clicked the link again today and it said I had already clicked the link and if I didn't have a code to contact them. So will call them and see whats happening, I've had other letters via post i.e welcome back etc so they have my address info right. I also not got a date to switch yet so wondering if the two are linked due to a issue they have not told me about...

Kev
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 20th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update

Phoned them tonight and seems they have to re-send activation code as cannot give over phone for security reasons and also unable to send me a email link to bypass the code and go straight to registration setup etc, which can take up to 5 days to arrive.

Also asked when i'm due to switch electricity as not received any info, they advised 25th March. They also need meter serial number whereas was told they didn't need serial number before, just a reading closer to the date so will sort those out this week.

I wonder how Gas company knew my meter serial number but this company doesn't know my elec meter serial... strange.

Fingers crossed it all gets setup ok...

Kev
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 22nd Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update:
    Phoned them tonight and gave meter number and meter reading as requested. Still no activation code and don't even have letter to say what account number is but I was able to be told my account number over the phone for future reference but I still don't have activation code which they can't tell me or email me as I've not moved to them yet so i'm waiting on it being sent again as per last post. Lady said she will keep an eye on my account and will call me next Friday to confirm if I have received the activation code.

Seems weird how by the looks of things I've of been switched before getting letter with account number and activation code to setup online account, was expecting that to be before the switch.

Kev
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 25th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update
    BG have closed my elec account today so I presume the switch to SSE has happened, no email or anything from SSE to say switch completed and no email from BG to say when I can expect my £68 credit back but hopefully hear someting next week fingers crossed.

Kev
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 2nd Apr 17, 11:56 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update:-
    Received a letter last week saying i'm now with SSE for electricity. Received my call on Friday as promised, although at different time but I guess that can't be helped as they don't know if they get tied upon calls etc. Unfortunately still no activation code, I was then put on hold while the lady spoke to someone else to get it looked into, turns out they letters were never sent as my address details were incorrect - no idea why they have a separate system for that as other letters have reached me ok - so i'm now assured the address has been updated and I will get the activation code by Friday this week so I've said if it doesn't come, i'll give them a call. Fingers crossed it comes this week so I can setup the online account.

Still no final bill from BG or refund yet.

Kev
    • shadyadie
    • By shadyadie 3rd Apr 17, 3:05 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    shadyadie
    We are with Scottish Hydro for electric on their dual meter system, which makes it impossible to move with out having a lot of work done, as no-one else can deal with it. It's not economy 7 it's a weird set up where you get power to the storage heaters when they have a surplus, but you can also override this during the day. We've tried twice to move unsuccessfully the first time to E-on after 6 months they referred us back to hydro.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 8th Apr 17, 3:35 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update
    Got activation code, signed in has account but no opening meter reading, should it show one?

Looking at BG, it now has a elec final bill but says it maybe used to offset gas bill and if not thy will send me a cheque. So i worked out if they offsett my gas with what they owe me, they would still owe me £3.92, so guess i need to wait for the cheque.

No date mentioned though.

Kev
    • Archie Jnr
    • By Archie Jnr 14th May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Archie Jnr
    I've been with SSE for more than a year after switching in 2016 to what was a very cheap, paperless, economy 7 tariff. They took over from the last supplier quickly and without fuss and also had a pre-payment meter removed and replaced for a normal one without charge.

Their mobile site isn't quite as good as others as it often refuses my first reading submissions and their passwords only allow a limited set of characters. I've never been able to get any of their usage pages to work either.

They also calculate their bills quarterly (with me paying by monthly direct debit) without the option for a monthly calculation which is a little old fashioned. As a result, they've recently doubled my direct debit even though we didn't dramatically change our usage over the winter - shouldn't be a problem as we're moving soon.

Even though they're one of the big six, their customer service does it's job and I would use again.
    Last edited by Archie Jnr; 14-05-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    • Hammy5455
    • By Hammy5455 2nd Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hammy5455
    Hi , I need advice. My partner has a ppm with Scottish hydro and due the passing of her mother she decided to come and live with me for a bit, returning back to her home now and then to check mail and such. Everything in the house was switched off At the mains to save electric being used and due to a 100 amp fuse going on fire 3 months ago , for safety reasons. Ref the fire they sent out an engineer and he had to replace the fuse and the four cables that go up into the ppm . I stood and held his torch while he completed all this. 2 weeks ago we went into the house and found a card for the meter reader saying he had been but no one was home. We left agin forgetting about it. On Thursday 18th may my girlfriend decided to go home for a few days to do some of her art. On Friday morning whilst I was on my way to hers she called frantically saying engineers had tried to break into her home. She had ran down the stairs and opened the door they said they had come to read the meter. In a daze she showed them where the meter was. I arrived there 10 mins later and two of them were at the meter which is in a small cupboard in the kitchen. They said they were all done but had to change the meter due to a time and date fault that's why they took so long. I asked them why they had tried to get in the the house. And they replied, they had a warrant to read the meter. I asked to see this immediately but it was in the van with the 3rd guy. Is it well I want to see it so go get it I replied. On looking at said warrant he wouldn't let go of it but it looked fishy to me, there was no headed paper and the name of the court was written in biro plus there was no court stamp. I asked where my girlfriends copy was and why this wasn't shown at the door. I was told she had to speak to the court fo a copy and never got an answer to my second question. Now after putting in a complaint to Scottish hydro they are now accusing my girlfriend of "tampering with the meter" and that's why the date and time was wrong and want her to pay nearly £1500 in costs £168 of which is electric because and I quote no money was put on the key so we were worried and got a safety warrant to gain access!!! Is this legal and what should we do? My girlfriend is in tatters because the only people that have been near that meter are their engineers, once after the fire and once to read the meter. Please help???
    • welshmoneylover
    • By welshmoneylover 2nd Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    welshmoneylover
    Hi , I need advice. My partner has a ppm with Scottish hydro and due the passing of her mother she decided to come and live with me for a bit, returning back to her home now and then to check mail and such. Everything in the house was switched off At the mains to save electric being used and due to a 100 amp fuse going on fire 3 months ago , for safety reasons. Ref the fire they sent out an engineer and he had to replace the fuse and the four cables that go up into the ppm . I stood and held his torch while he completed all this. 2 weeks ago we went into the house and found a card for the meter reader saying he had been but no one was home. We left agin forgetting about it. On Thursday 18th may my girlfriend decided to go home for a few days to do some of her art. On Friday morning whilst I was on my way to hers she called frantically saying engineers had tried to break into her home. She had ran down the stairs and opened the door they said they had come to read the meter. In a daze she showed them where the meter was. I arrived there 10 mins later and two of them were at the meter which is in a small cupboard in the kitchen. They said they were all done but had to change the meter due to a time and date fault that's why they took so long. I asked them why they had tried to get in the the house. And they replied, they had a warrant to read the meter. I asked to see this immediately but it was in the van with the 3rd guy. Is it well I want to see it so go get it I replied. On looking at said warrant he wouldn't let go of it but it looked fishy to me, there was no headed paper and the name of the court was written in biro plus there was no court stamp. I asked where my girlfriends copy was and why this wasn't shown at the door. I was told she had to speak to the court fo a copy and never got an answer to my second question. Now after putting in a complaint to Scottish hydro they are now accusing my girlfriend of "tampering with the meter" and that's why the date and time was wrong and want her to pay nearly £1500 in costs £168 of which is electric because and I quote no money was put on the key so we were worried and got a safety warrant to gain access!!! Is this legal and what should we do? My girlfriend is in tatters because the only people that have been near that meter are their engineers, once after the fire and once to read the meter. Please help???
    Originally posted by Hammy5455
    When did she last provide reading or top up the meter?

A warrant of entry isn't gained overnight and SH would have written to her on numerous occasions. Did she provide your address as a correspondence address?
    Sounds as if the revenue protection team were involved and yes a warrant is perfectly legal.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth
    • bendipa
    • By bendipa 17th Aug 17, 6:06 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    bendipa
    SSE are a total clusterf****.

Two weeks ago I applied to switch from SSE to Ebico. The application seemed to proceed fine from Ebico's end. Then I get an email today from them saying SSE have declined the switch, claiming I owe them money despite having given SSE my final meter reading at the time of application.

I see SSE did not update my meter reading. When I tried today to give them my meter reading online again I then get an error saying there is something wrong with the reading. I then try to email SSE using the address I have always used before when communicating to give them my reading but the email bounces with 'unknown server address'. I then try to phone them but after 45 minutes gave up as the call still had not been answered and it was costing me money.

What does it take to communicate with these prats! Do I have to revert to snailmail?

Finally tried one last time and went back online to complete a complaints form. On the final page that seemed to work satisfactorily as I got a 'thank you for contacting us', but who knows whether anyone actually received it or if they did, even look at it, considering my submitted meter reading was ignored.

If nothing comes of this in 3 days I'll send OFGEM a letter.
    • SummerFun
    • By SummerFun 17th Aug 17, 6:33 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    SummerFun
    SSE are a total clusterf****.

Two weeks ago I applied to switch from SSE to Ebico. The application seemed to proceed fine from Ebico's end. Then I get an email today from them saying SSE have declined the switch, claiming I owe them money despite having given SSE my final meter reading at the time of application.

I see SSE did not update my meter reading. When I tried today to give them my meter reading online again I then get an error saying there is something wrong with the reading. I then try to email SSE using the address I have always used before when communicating to give them my reading but the email bounces with 'unknown server address'. I then try to phone them but after 45 minutes gave up as the call still had not been answered and it was costing me money.

What does it take to communicate with these prats! Do I have to revert to snailmail?

Finally tried one last time and went back online to complete a complaints form. On the final page that seemed to work satisfactorily as I got a 'thank you for contacting us', but who knows whether anyone actually received it or if they did, even look at it, considering my submitted meter reading was ignored.

If nothing comes of this in 3 days I'll send OFGEM a letter.
    Originally posted by bendipa
    Simple question

Do you have a bill (or do they suggest one was produced) that demands payment that is more than 28 days old which has not been paid?

If not, you are not in debt to the supplier cannot legally prevent a switch on the basis of existing debt.

Ofgem won't give a tinkers; they are not interested in you or your problems..

You can take the matter to the ombudsman in 6 weeks time if the matter has not been satisfactorily resolved. (earlier if you can get a deadlock letter out of them, but you won't if there is no debt in existence)

Edit:
    Scrub all that, less than 2 weeks ago you said you were already switched to RHE
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72942390&postcount=4

Confused.com!

It's make yer mind up time folks!!!
    And I mean that most sincerely...
    Last edited by SummerFun; 17-08-2017 at 6:37 PM.
    • bendipa
    • By bendipa 17th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    bendipa
    Edit:
    Scrub all that, less than 2 weeks ago you said you were already switched to RHE
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72942390&postcount=4

Confused.com!

It's make yer mind up time folks!!!
    And I mean that most sincerely...
    You're jumping the gun. That was to do with a different address with ongoing supplier Ebico. That's been sorted.

Current problem is a separate address where I have recently applied to join Ebico from SSE. They claim I have a small debt from over 6 weeks ago because of their estimate. I gave them a meter reading 2 weeks which means no debt.
    Last edited by bendipa; 17-08-2017 at 8:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter