Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 3:55 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Co-operative Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part.
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
Page 34
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 7th Jun 17, 1:13 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Stompa
    Day 3 of switch process.

Co-op Energy emailed me with 'Welcome letter' documentation, which included projected timeline for switch completion etc.
    Originally posted by dennisjosephphillips
    How long are they quoting to complete the switch?

Thanks
    Stompa
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 11th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    35-day switch period (max)

14 day cooling off, 'new' suppier applies to take over from existing,switch occurs, process takes place/provide opening meter readings etc
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 12th Jun 17, 12:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    Last year I initiated a switch using MSE on 13/05/2016.

End of 'cooling off' period was deemed 31/05/2016.

Switch completed 05/06/2016 (23 days)
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 22nd Jun 17, 12:41 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    Switch Update
    14-day cooling off period now expired.

Have now received confirmation from existing Supplier (First Utility) that they have been contacted by the 'switch-to' Supplier (Co-op) of my intention to switch, which will now take 14 days.

F-U will let me know when this is complete and request closing meter reading when process has been completed.

(Incidentally F-U supplied me with a Smart Meter and In Home Display early in December 2016).
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 6th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    Now Day 30 of proposed switch.

Would have expected either F-U or Co-Op to have contacted me regarding meter readings.

I have called Co-Op who have advised that there is a 'problem' re. Gas.

I have given meter readings as a way of "chivvying" them along...
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 10th Aug 17, 3:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    When initiating switch on 05/06/2018, Co-Op stated that this would take 35 days and would be complete by 11/07/2018.

Co-Op had immediately set up an online account and subsequently emailed me on 10/07/2016 to say "... your switch to Co-operative Energy is almost complete" c/w a request for an opening read and information you needed to complete registration.

The outgoing supplier (First Utility) correspondingly emailed me on 10/07/2018 to inform me that my final balances for gas /electricity were being processed and emailed me again on 26/07/2018 to confirm that my account /services had ended on 10/07/2018 and that my final bill/credit was available.

A balance Credit was then paid into my Bank on 04/08/2018.

MSE C-E-C then emailed me on 09/2018 to confirm that my switch was complete!

Although the switch went smoothly and within the stated timeframes, my only gripe is that Co-Op never provided updated/progress emails to confirm my gas/electricity was now supplied by them (although I did call them on several occasions to confirm Direct Debit amount/date and correction to gas reading (in cubic metres, NOT kWh).

In conclusion. no problems with switch!
    • jjm234
    • By jjm234 23rd Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjm234
    Beware Co-op.
    Over three years they have gone from being about the cheapest to highest.
    Today I got a letter from them intending to increase my direct debit by a whopping 40%.
    A few calculations later after meter readings and I found my consumption was on its way down and so the £64 debit on my account would be wiped over next few bills. I called them to try to fix a more sensible increase to DD and all I got was a circular conversation trying to force me into taking on a cheaper tariff that you had buy out of and flat refused to negociate otherwise. I was not prepared to see the DD increased by so much (I suggested 20% would see me in credit within 3 months) so told them I would look elsewhere as I was not going to go into a buy out contract (£60).
    I have just now moved to Bristol Energy with no buy out and will save 31% fixed over a year :-)
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Aug 17, 10:29 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I can't comment on whether the level of DD was reasonable in your circumstances but if you were not happy with Co-op Energy then you may have done the right thing.

If your account is £64 in debt, however, Co-op may decide to object to the switch to another supplier unless you settle their account within 30 days. You should provide Co-op with meter readings, if you haven't already.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • jjm234
    • By jjm234 24th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjm234
    Thanks for warning!
    I'll call them again to ensure they don't try that. The account never skipped a beat for 3 years until a big bill last quarter (about 3 times normal consumption) but the deficit is already disappearing monthly so I was not impressed with a non negotiable 40% hike.
    Ah the joys, long line on phone so got back online. Balance on account now zero. Once they take their (hopefully last) inflated DD I'll have to go chasing them for refund.
    Cheers.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 24th Aug 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Balance on account now zero. Once they take their (hopefully last) inflated DD I'll have to go chasing them for refund. . .
    Originally posted by jjm234
    Once you have confirmation of the switch completion from the new supplier, I suggest you cancel the DD at your bank to avoid paying two suppliers at the same time.

This is one of my gripes earlier in this thread.
    • boobbby
    • By boobbby 26th Aug 17, 2:05 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    boobbby
    Long time since I wrote anything on here although I see Consumerist is still going strong. My September tariff is ending soon so had considered moving to Igloo energy but because I am in so much credit with the Co op energy (£250) I am tempted to stay with their September 2018 tariff as this will also change on the day my present good value tariff ends. I will then next year make sure I don't have so much credit! Should I change or stay with the devil I know ?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 26th Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I will then next year make sure I don't have so much credit! Should I change or stay with the devil I know ?
    Originally posted by boobbby
    Yes, still carping on - it gives me something to live for.

SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH. Why should Co-op gobble up your hard-earned credit balance?

It may take a while to get your money back - problems with the gas seems to be their stock excuse for everything at the moment. - but you will get it back eventually. And don't forget to cancel their DD at your bank the moment the new supplier confirms that both gas and electricity are switched.
    • boobbby
    • By boobbby 26th Aug 17, 6:22 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    boobbby
    I suppose the reason for the question is that the new tariff from the co op is £6 per month more than if I switch to igloo energy (£72 in the year more) I would remain on the co op September rate until the last day and as you would know the that is the cheapest rate on the market at present. I am also changing my sky and Bt to virgin which I am sure won't go without a hitch ( by the way you should see the low offers if I remain with Bt and sky so everybody should cancel to get the low offers) I also have a few other projects that might take up some of my time so do I have energy to make a switch as in the past energy changes have never gone smoothly. I am now 50/50 about a change. As a matter of interest who is supplying energy for Consumerist?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 26th Aug 17, 7:22 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 2,300 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I suppose the reason for the question is that the new tariff from the co op is £6 per month more than if I switch to igloo energy (£72 in the year more) I would remain on the co op September rate until the last day and as you would know the that is the cheapest rate on the market at present. I am also changing my sky and Bt to virgin which I am sure won't go without a hitch ( by the way you should see the low offers if I remain with Bt and sky so everybody should cancel to get the low offers) I also have a few other projects that might take up some of my time so do I have energy to make a switch as in the past energy changes have never gone smoothly. I am now 50/50 about a change. As a matter of interest who is supplying energy for Consumerist?
    Originally posted by boobbby
    What I did recently was to apply for a switch on the last day of my Co-op contract. Providing the new supplier notifies the old supplier within 20 working days of the end of your contract, the old supplier is obliged to keep you on your current tariff until the switch completes "within a reasonable period of time" (Standard Licence Conditions). Generally, the delay is no more than the 14-day cooling-off period so you should be able to keep your tariff for an extra few weeks.

It worked a treat for me.

And, in my view, £72 pa is worth the saving.

It's up to you, of course, but I didn't hesitate to escape from Co-op Energy.
    • Anywhere
    • By Anywhere 10th Sep 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anywhere
    Late With Feedback but ...
    A late post but I have only just become aware of this forum, I was with Co op Energy from 2014 to 2015.

My switch to Co op Energy was absolutely fine, my problems began when I tried to leave and switch to Sainsbury Energy. They took a payment after the switching date which I mistakenly thought would be easy to resolve but customer service were appalling; denials of there being a switching date, promises of a refund etc. Sainsbury Energy even contacted them on my behalf.

The only way I was able to resolve the matter was by involving the energy ombudsman. They may now have got their act together but I for one will never use them again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin