Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Co-op
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Co-op 28th Jan 13 at 3:55 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Co-op

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part.
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 2:01 PM.
Page 33
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 1st Dec 16, 11:25 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    oldwiring
    You have to wonder why Co-op energy was chosen to take on GB Energy customers when it demonstrably can't cope with those it has already.

Ofgem madness.

Someone give us a regulator who considers energy customers for a change.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Perhaps the rest thought, "why should we take their customers?", reckoning, that the churn from them leaving at the smell of a cheaper deal, would be a dis-benefit.

This is not to get at unfortunate GB customers, but businesses do actually not accept everything offered them.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 3rd Dec 16, 12:55 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    Consumerist
    A bit more news has emerged today from BBC Radio 4's Money Box programme regarding GB Energy customers transferred to Co-op Energy...

It would seem that Co-op Energy had ca. 250k customers and took on the additional 160k from GB Energy along with the latter's call-centre staff to help Co-op cope with the influx.

A Co-op spokesman said that GB Energy customers will continue to get the GB Energy tariff rates until their fixed contracts expire. Credit balances will be honoured even if customers had recently switched to other suppliers.

It would seem that GB Energy customers were offered to the market but Co-op Energy won the bidding.

As a Co-op Energy customer, my question is - Who is footing the bill for this Co-op generosity?
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Dird
    • By Dird 3rd Dec 16, 4:14 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    Dird
    As a Co-op Energy customer, my question is - Who is footing the bill for this Co-op generosity?
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    What generosity? The lower rates than other co-op customers?
    They say marketing teams spend x amount attracting each customer, they got 160k for £0 except a bit towards credit balances...not said what % ofgem/coop gave
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £835 | Current accounts: 15
    Mortgage (May 17): £75,264 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%) | £25k in 2017: £9,931 (39.7%)
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 3rd Dec 16, 4:59 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    Consumerist
    What generosity? The lower rates than other co-op customers?
    They say marketing teams spend x amount attracting each customer, they got 160k for £0 except a bit towards credit balances...not said what % ofgem/coop gave
    Originally posted by Dird
    But,surely, the "marketing" was simply the unsustainable, low tariff rates advertised on comparison sites.

It will be interesting to see how Co-op Energy prices compare on comparison sites in the future. It will be even more interesting to see what kind of botch-up Co-op Energy makes of integrating its new customers into their clapped-out IT system.
    • puddwud
    • By puddwud 19th Dec 16, 8:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    puddwud
    Hi, any updates on how Coop Energy are doing now that they now have ex-GBEnergy customers (i.e., me) on board? Reason for asking is that my tariff is coming to an end and Coop Energy 'seem' to be the cheapest, though their feedback/ratings do not seem to be good at the moment.

Any info / opinions appreciated.
    Cheers
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Dec 16, 12:00 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Hi, any updates on how Coop Energy are doing now that they now have ex-GBEnergy customers (i.e., me) on board? Reason for asking is that my tariff is coming to an end and Coop Energy 'seem' to be the cheapest, though their feedback/ratings do not seem to be good at the moment.
    Originally posted by puddwud
    Frankly, it's early days at the moment and, as you are a former GBenergy customer, you are probably in the best position to find out.

The best you can do is be guided by the comparison sites as to price and use customer experience (e.g. <Citizens Advice>) to gauge the kind of service to expect.

There is obviously a trade-off between price and customer service which only you can choose between.

Perhaps you would post your experience for our benefit.

Note: I have recently downloaded Co-op's Online Feb 2018 tariff as a pdf - they have vastly underestimated the tariff's average annual cost by leaving out the daily charges. Fortunately, as far as I can tell, comparison sites haven't made the same mistake but it would be a good idea to re-check the numbers for yourself.

Good luck.
    • Mehitabel9860
    • By Mehitabel9860 4th Jan 17, 7:18 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mehitabel9860
    Co op Energy; bad experience
    I was with them for a year; firstly the switch took weeks. No real explanation. Then after nearly 6 months I got a call from Credit Control - they'd set up the direct debit for Zero. Just noticed. Would I pay off in 3 monthly chunks - yes OK. But they didn't collect that either - so I paid it off on the phone. Then unable to get bills, website showed no info. Unable to see what they were billing me for, payments made shown incorrectly. Switched away, asked for a final bill using meter readings - no, after almost 12 months (!) got a demand for money, no bill, no details! This after an official complaint was acknowledged but never dealt with. Telephoned, they promised complaint response in 5 working days. Nope! Never dealt with a company as disorganised!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 4th Jan 17, 1:47 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Switched away, asked for a final bill using meter readings - no, after almost 12 months (!) got a demand for money, no bill, no details! This after an official complaint was acknowledged but never dealt with. Telephoned, they promised complaint response in 5 working days. Nope! Never dealt with a company as disorganised!
    Originally posted by Mehitabel9860
    If it has been 8 weeks or longer since you complained then you can refer the matter to the Ombudsman: Energy.
    • Blueshark911
    • By Blueshark911 5th Jan 17, 9:08 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Blueshark911
    Cooperative Energy Never Let Go
    Migration to Cooperative went Ok left in December 2014 to N Power.

On the 12th December 2016 ( Dates are correct ) got a letter stating I owed an outstanding amount. They state that it took so long due to a problem with there IT System Intigration.

When you leave Cooperative Energy Enusre you get a Final Final Bill.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Jan 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Migration to Cooperative went Ok left in December 2014 to N Power. On the 12th December 2016 ( Dates are correct ) got a letter stating I owed an outstanding amount. They state that it took so long due to a problem with there IT System Intigration. . .
    Originally posted by Blueshark911
    They cannot charge for energy used two years ago unless they have been chasing you for payment since.

Dispute the bill. If the matter is not resolved in 8 weeks you can refer it to the Ombudsman: Energy.
    • Katpip
    • By Katpip 17th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katpip
    Major concerns got meter readings wrong and reported incorrect readings to old supplier. Welcome e-mail promised but never received they have my correct email but have problems sending Not impressed so far exercise caution
    • lizzietwo
    • By lizzietwo 18th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lizzietwo
    Don't switch to Co-op Energy
    On the 5th and 6th of December 2016 two direct debit payments were taken by the Co-op from my Bank.! I phoned both my Bank and Co-op Energy and had one direct debit credited back.! No direct debit payments have been taken by the Co-op since.

I have received no energy bill for gas or electric since November 2016.

On the 7th February 2017 I spoke to Nathan in Customer services who told me he would arrange for a payment to be taken on the 25th February 2017 and then on the 6th March as usual.! I mentioned that when this happened previously no payments were taken, he seemed a little offended and assured me that he had arranged it as we spoke.! He also told me that he was sending my enquiry as to what had gone wrong with billing and payments to the Billing Department who would answer the queries within ten days.

As of today no payments have been deducted and I have heard nothing from the Billing Department (or Nathan).
    I learn from my Bank that the direct debit was cancelled by the Co-op on the 6th December.! I assume this was an attempt to put things right.

I gave meter readings on line on the 13th February 2017 for a bill which I believe should have been produced around the 19th February, no bill has been produced.

Having given up hope of a good experience with the Co-op I instigated a switch to Ovo Energy and supplied them with further meter readings when requested.! My account with them commenced on the 3rd March and they have already taken one direct debit payment.

I received a letter from the Co-op dated 14th February entitled: ]We're sorry to hear that you're leaving.
    Today I received an email from Mr. Andrew Springall Head of Customer Experiences (great title) saying: We recently wrote to remind you that your Co-op Online March 2017 tariff is due to end very soon and you need to decide what you'd like to do next.!

I despair . I have tried to email Mr. Springall but he appears to have changed his email address - does anyone have the latest version please.

After two painful years with the Co-op I would strongly advise anyone tempted by theTariffs to think very carefully about switching to them.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 19th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    janb5
    Like you I had a horrible experience with the Co op relieved only by going on their Facebook page and seeing similar experiences. A lot of customers including me trashed their Facebook page!

It is absolutely useless to place any faith in customer services as their `system` doesn't work.

Despite my direct debit being set up, they managed not to collect any money from me and at the time of switching had over £1000 in my account!

On leaving, Co op Energy are very keen to advise you to leave your DD in situ so the refund can happen naturally but I ignored that as I realised that other people were having two payments withdrawn.... one to their new provider and the other to Co op Energy!

In the end I went to the Ombudsman and also reclaimed three direct debits. When finally the bill was produced, I had the money to pay the bill and they still owed me some money.

Co op Energy used to be great before the fiasco with their IT system. Had they apologized and admitted their fault, then customers would have been happy but they kept insisting there wasn't a problem and it was well nigh impossible to get contact with them.

Dont listen to customer services staff who may sound`offended` but they have no clout to rectify the situation.

I am very happy with Ovo!
    • lizzietwo
    • By lizzietwo 19th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lizzietwo
    Thanks Janb5, hopefully anybody seeing our posts will be put off joining them.
    • hawkwind
    • By hawkwind 22nd Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    hawkwind
    I must have been one of the lucky ones after reading the comments on here.
    I never had any problems, the switch over was fine as was changing tariffs for a second year.
    They are too expensive now but my switch to So Energy was fine as was my final bill from the CO-OP and the refund for £49 overspend paid quickly as well.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 22nd Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I must have been one of the lucky ones after reading the comments on here.
    I never had any problems, the switch over was fine as was changing tariffs for a second year.
    They are too expensive now but my switch to So Energy was fine as was my final bill from the CO-OP and the refund for £49 overspend paid quickly as well.
    Originally posted by hawkwind
    Let's hope this is a sign of things to come. It has been a long time coming, though.

It's probable they are reaping what they have sown in recent years as their customers switch away in droves. Former GB Energy customers will be their lifeline for the time being but only time will tell whether they have actually improved their customer service.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 22-04-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 5th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    It is my intention to commence switch to Co-Operative Energy today (having switched from nPower to First Utility via MSE 12-months ago).

Updates to follow.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 5th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 1,855 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I switched 3 months ago and thus far all if fne. No complaints at all.
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 6th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    Initiated switch process yesterday thru MSE.

Co-op Energy emailed me today to confirm an online account had been set-up in advance.
    • dennisjosephphillips
    • By dennisjosephphillips 7th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dennisjosephphillips
    Day 3 of switch process.

Co-op Energy emailed me with 'Welcome letter' documentation, which included projected timeline for switch completion etc.

I called them (on an 0800 number) to discuss monthly DD payment (including date) which they were happy to amend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,865Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin