Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 3:55 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Co-operative Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part.
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
Page 3
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 12th Apr 13, 7:22 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    Nada666
    Standing charges of £314 per year for those with prepayment meters. Is this a misprint or do they really charge such customers more than double? I know the meters are more expensive, but still...
    • Phosphoric
    • By Phosphoric 12th Apr 13, 9:10 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Phosphoric
    I've bailed out of Coop after only a couple of months. According to my usage their latest tarrif is the most expensive.
    Just applied to switch to EDF Blue fixed until Feb2015. £60 pa cheaper and £40 cashback through MSE cheap energy club.
    Hope it all goes OK
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Apr 13, 10:27 AM
    • 14,163 Posts
    • 132,310 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've never had any problems at all - compared to Scottish Power they are awesome. Re price increases, I like how they waited until after the coldest months to increase rather than before, like the greedy sods elsewhere. I enter meter readings monthly and get a bill quarterly and hae had no problems at all, ever. We switched a year ago.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 17th Apr 13, 8:58 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I've bailed out of Coop after only a couple of months. According to my usage their latest tarrif is the most expensive.
    Just applied to switch to EDF Blue fixed until Feb2015. £60 pa cheaper and £40 cashback through MSE cheap energy club.
    Hope it all goes OK
    Originally posted by Phosphoric
    Ditto. Sh*t service (hold times of 20 minutes not unusual; they decided to disregard my opening readings for no reason at all and estimate them instead, meaning previous supplier overbilled me massively) and now higher prices. Had to argue with them for a tenner goodwill gesture for something that was demonstrably their fault, which caused me a great deal of inconvenience and which I had to do most of the work to resolve because it seemed they couldn't be arsed. They don't seem to have the capacity to handle the customers they have. Switching to EDF Blue too, EDF have been good for me when I've used them. Not sure they could be worse than the Co-op are.

Seriously dire. Avoid.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • jonroguk
    I have been with the Co-operative energy for over 18 months now and have not had any issues. Prices have gone up and down the same as all the other suppliers but the main point is that I have not felt the need to switch and sift through the mountain of other complicated tariffs to compare. I feel confident that whilst they might not be the cheapest all the time, not having to switch every 6 months / year saves so much hassle and time.

I see some people have had problems with them, but I am sure there are plenty of people who have had similar issues with the other big six and you can never please everyone. I would and have recommended Co-operative to friends and family.
  • Salsajunkie
    Switching to co op
    Phoned to arrange switch today as my current fixed deal ends at end of month, decided on fix date of March 2016 as the 2017 deal was £17pcm more expensive. I was advised the switch will take about 50 days.
    Will update on progress.
    • labp04
    • By labp04 7th Feb 14, 4:31 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    labp04
    Absolutely agree with jonroguk and would add that if there is to be any chance of breaking the strangle hold of the big 6 then only using smaller companies can do this. Some may want to say that this site is for money saving and, yep, this is true but sometimes a long game is a better way to go than short term wins. I have been with the coop for just over 12 months and have no issues other than to report that I find their cs responsive and prepared to help if sometimes slow.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 10th Feb 14, 12:38 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    Co-op energy seem to be overwelmed by new customers. The phone lines take some time to be answered now. I switched my gas away from them in early December 2014 and they still haven't generated a final bill, even after asking them on at least three occasions.

I also changeover my electric from their previous single tariff to one of their fixed tariffs just before Christmas and this still hadn't been actioned it when I last rang in late Jan.

I had similar hassles when I moved to them initially, but it was eventually fixed and everything backdated, now wishing I had moved my electric away from them now.

The telephone staff try to be helpful, the problems seem to be with the backroom operations and I'm guessing understaffing.
  • JulesWantsToSaveMoney
    Co-op Tariff Prices - Poor Document Version Control!
    Just a quick warning, I've based my search for a new supplier partly on the MSE tool and Which but also using my own spreadsheet (I'm an anorak like that!). The Co-op came out top in terms of price and good supplier ratings so I went to sign up today.

When I reached the sign up button it had a link to the Price Table and a statement that by signing up I'm accepting these prices. I clicked on it to double check and found that these prices are not the same as the ones I've based my calculations on! Those were Version 1 (the only ones available on their tariff prices page) and the ones I'm agreeing to are Version 4. A difference of £60 in the yearly price making them no longer the cheapest!

(Note: I'm not sure which version of the prices the MSE tool uses).

I've emailed them asking them to sort out their poor version control and let me know which prices are the correct ones. I'm assuming it will be V4 in which case its off to EDF for me!

** update - 7 days after my email still no reply. Even for a busy company I think 7 days is long enough to answer a message from a potential customer. I don't want supply from a company with poor customer service so I'll stick with EDF and transfer to their cheaper tariff. **
    Last edited by JulesWantsToSaveMoney; 18-02-2014 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Update
    • cliff_hanger
    • By cliff_hanger 23rd Feb 14, 8:27 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    cliff_hanger
    Maybe it really is their being overwhelmed by new customers signing up, but my experience of Coop customer service over the last 3 months has been pretty woeful.

As paying customers since May 2012, with no need to engage with customer services, we were happy - once we did need to speak with them, they vanished and became impossible to get ahold of by ANY means.

Since early Dec 2013 we've been trying to switch to a cheaper provider - and thanks to the Coop's nonexistent customer service, it's been far from straightforward. They held up the switchover, took forever to generate the final bill, and 3 months later we're still waiting for a refund of our outstanding credit balance.

There are long (30 mins is not unusual) waits for the call centre (remember, they don't know we're waiting on the phone to leave, we could be a new customer wanting to sign up !), none of our online contact forms /emails have been responded to at all - let alone within the promised 7 days. When we do get through to someone, no one can escalate us to the Customer Complaints dept - it's detailed on their website but doesn't exist in real life.

I realise the Coop has historically had good feedback, but everything can change in time. I guess the whole purpose of this thread is so others can read the good and the bad, and make up their own minds. Based on my experience to date, when our fix with our new provider runs out, I'll take a lot of convincing to give the Coop another go.
    • gradgrind
    • By gradgrind 5th Mar 14, 9:02 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    gradgrind
    Just discovered this too. They take 2 weeks to answer emails, then insist that you phone in. Don't, unless you like smug voiceover man telling you that it would be much quicker to do this online. I don't think I've had a poorer experience.
    • vm2pensioner
    • By vm2pensioner 5th Mar 14, 11:35 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    vm2pensioner
    Just discovered this too. They take 2 weeks to answer emails, then insist that you phone in. Don't, unless you like smug voiceover man telling you that it would be much quicker to do this online. I don't think I've had a poorer experience.
    Originally posted by gradgrind
    I'm afraid that echoes my experience, too.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 5th Mar 14, 8:09 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    Originally posted by gradgrind
    I'm still waiting for a reply to my email sent 16 days ago. I've still not had a final gas bill, and I moved my gas to a different supplier in early December 2013. Which I'm sure must exceed OFGEM rules.

I tried to ring the other evening but gave up after 10mins.

Update:

Finally got a email after 18 days! Problem not entirely sorted. Acknowledgement email now says they intend to respond in 10 days (was previously 7).
    Last edited by bubieyehyeh; 08-03-2014 at 3:11 PM. Reason: update
  • CambridgeLou
    They set my direct debit payments too low (I had to argue with them to make them £95 a month instead of the £70 they said) when I joined a year ago. They did not indicate to me that the direct debits were not meeting the cost and I have been too busy (elderly relative with cancer and dementia) to keep check of them, assuming all must be well. No. After I chased them to double-check it emerges that I have run up a debit of £400 which I can't afford. (Earnings plunge due to caring duties.) When I asked them how much to pay off monthly they told me £200 a month. I was shocked. Then I double-checked. They got the figure wrong. It should have been around £160 ish. (Which I still can't afford.) Any advice on what to do please?
  • muirhead
    I switched to Coop Fix
    to march 2015 4 months ago from N Power and Coop have been great they also reduced my dd just give them regular readings online.

Glad to get away from N Power who were the worst company I have ever dealt with.
    • historian
    • By historian 11th Sep 14, 10:19 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    historian
    coop energy - good service?
    What?! No feedback yet?? I was thinking about changing to these as this company comes up second behind Spark who don't really have many good reviews!
    Originally posted by G Wizz
    Although boasting they aim to be "Britain's Most Reliable Energy Provider" they have been very inefficient with my changeover. I sent my meter reading and received an estimated tariff but when I received a "Welcome Pack", the numbers were all wrong and much, much higher than the original estimate. Since then emails back and fore but since last Friday, I have had no communication from them. I am not a complainer and am always polite but my patience is running low, hence this comment to the Energy Club.
  • 007peter
    Started switchover today from npower. Will monitor progress.
  • mags65
    Coop Energy feedback.
    I transferred to Coop energy fixed rate with anoffer fixed till March 2016 and have now gor a message from Moneysavingexpert that I can get a better deal. On checking I can get a fixed rate till DDDecember2015 from Coop Energy but I'm unsure how I can swtch tariff,so will enquire.
    • dylan32
    • By dylan32 14th Nov 14, 3:46 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dylan32
    I have extended my tariff from March 2015 to April 2016 the costs are the same,unfortunately no £30 cashback but the savings are quite good.
    I have found the coop ok to deal with so far.
  • M0rtinLoois
    Well - switching from EDF - no complaints just on last years usage I'll be better off by ~ £350 with Co-op (according to energy club) I calculate it to be nearer £100 -£150 and present bills arrive within a penny of my predicted so I must be doing something right! Now if only I could get kids to switch the lights off and be allowed to turn the thermostat down a bit! - Lets see how smoothly this goes.....
    (Will update)
    Last edited by M0rtinLoois; 16-12-2014 at 1:24 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

4,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @garethh1992: @MartinSLewis My GF is a leaver and I?m a proud remoaner. You?ve got to respect everyone?s right to disagree with you. I t?

• Today's twitter poll: If someone admits to you their Brexit view is different to yours (eg you're a remainer, they? https://t.co/c4WZQpfrg3

• Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• Follow Martin