Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > The Love is in the Air February NSD Challenge (Page 48)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Love is in the Air February NSD Challenge
Views: 25,311
# 941
marmiterulesok
Old 24-02-2013, 8:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

That's another nsd bagged today,so I'm at #16!

freeby thanks for the update and all your hard work.

spoon get well soon.

Have a great week everyone!And well done to all of you who've reached their target!
Budgeting has changed my life for the better!

NSD 2014 Jan 19/19 Feb 20/20 Mar 19/19 April 12/19
NSD total so far(2014)= 70

NSD 2013=219 NSD 2012 = 226
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to marmiterulesok For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 942
MissE001
Old 24-02-2013, 8:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Target reached today!! # 10 / 10

Really pleased that I managed it . Decided next month I'm going to try and spend only on days where I have D/Ds and S/Os coming out of the bank....and realised that I have a lot of D/D and S/O days!!

There are 15 potential NSDs for March if I count this way....although I already know that I'm travelling for work the first week in March which always means spends

So, I'll aim for 12 in March - a couple more than February but stricter criteria....

Might end up with another one for Feb (travelling first half of this week unfortunately!)
SPC Member #112 Save 365 in 365 days #117 Save 2k in 2014 # 160
Jan NSD challenge 21/20; Dec NSD challenge 14/10 Nov 11/20; Oct 26/25;Sep 18/17; August 16/17; July 15/15; June 15/15; May 16/15; Apr 20/20; Mar 15/15; Feb 10 / 10
My cherished MSE stars!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MissE001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 943
butdoineedit?
Old 24-02-2013, 9:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Woo hoo!!!! lodgers OH is away so she has gone home for a few days to sort out her stuff & pack properly to move into mine, it's only a temporary repreive, but it was heaven to get back to an empty house & be able to potter around as i like!!
As she will be away until the middle of the week i am going to be really naughty & chuck a sickie at uni this week, then i have 3 whole nights at home alone, i am just soooooo excited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargleblast View Post
Bdini - sometimes you can be too close to a situation to read it correctly. Enter neutral people like us lot on here, who can give you an objective assessment - and watch your back for you! (Hope you don't mind us sticking our beaks in!)
Mind???????? I would find it impossible to manage my life without you guys, it's certainly not sticking your beak in, & it's more appreciated than you will ever know!!!! (so please keep doing it!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazzie23 View Post
One final thing, anyone have good plan how to save unspent fuel budget? If I keep in shopping/fuel account it will just dissappear...if I move to the budgeted savings fund, like for car ins etc its not easily accessible, perhaps be better to keep it in cash and get a new pot/jam jar/purse?/ any thoughts
Have you thought about opening a savings account that comes with a cash card? then it would be accessible if you really needed it, but would stop that "dipping into the pot", that i find i always do if there's too much cash in the house!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))))) Spoon hope you feel better soon! x

Oh & i won't be around to do my update on Weds, so so sorry , but i am heading home for the funeral which is Thursday morning, i do hope you guys won't mind managing without, i promise to be back on track next week!!

Oh & had to ETA, i live in the most amazing area with the most amazing people, i found out today that they had been discussing how to help me in the pub & one chap has organised all the catering for the wake for 50 squids & all i have to do is pick it up on the morning of the funeral & transport it back to my grans, which will be so easy, as my little old man friend from the pub has hired a mini bus for us to drive home in, so he can then transport all my grans friends from church to cemetery to wake. My family might be a nightmare, but with all that & you guys i am just unbelievably blessed with my friends!
February NSD challenge 5/15

Last edited by butdoineedit?; 24-02-2013 at 9:37 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to butdoineedit? For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 944
kerri gt
Old 24-02-2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butdoineedit? View Post

Mind???????? I would find it impossible to manage my life without you guys, it's certainly not sticking your beak in, & it's more appreciated than you will ever know!!!! (so please keep doing it!!

Oh & had to ETA, i live in the most amazing area with the most amazing people, i found out today that they had been discussing how to help me in the pub & one chap has organised all the catering for the wake for 50 squids & all i have to do is pick it up on the morning of the funeral & transport it back to my grans, which will be so easy, as my little old man friend from the pub has hired a mini bus for us to drive home in, so he can then transport all my grans friends from church to cemetery to wake. My family might be a nightmare, but with all that & you guys i am just unbelievably blessed with my friends!
I'd be careful about using the phrase 'sticking your beak in' after Igor's attempt at xmas dinner - the turkey is not supposed to be put in the oven 'as it is'

Ahhh, bless your friends in the pub - that really is lovely of them. Just goes to show, they didn't even have to do it, but wanted to as friends - your family (and lots others) could take a lesson from that. Three cheers to good friends xx
April 2014 NSD Challenge 10/16
MAR NSD 17/17 FEB NSD 18/15 JAN NSD 16/12
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kerri gt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 945
beanielou
Old 24-02-2013, 9:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

That is so amazing BINDI ~ I hope all goes as well as it can Thursday xx
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone 3 lbs**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to beanielou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 946
Jelly Biactol
Old 24-02-2013, 9:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

NSD 16 today
'Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio.' Salvator Rosa
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jelly Biactol For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 947
solventsoon
Old 24-02-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanielou View Post
Spoony~Hope you feel better soon xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmiterulesok View Post
spoon get well soon.
Quote:
(((((((((((((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))))) Spoon hope you feel better soon! x
Thank you all, much appreciated xxx

I seriously need a nose transplant
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to solventsoon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 948
armchairexpert
Old 24-02-2013, 11:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ooof, I fell off the wagon but good over the weekend. Sudden moment of rebellion about why should I deny myself so much blahdeblahde.

I did manage one NSD, by the skin of my teeth, but it's going to make the next few days tricky...

NSD11 please.
If all goes to plan:

As of April 2014, oustanding mortgage of $250,000.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to armchairexpert For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 949
solventsoon
Old 25-02-2013, 12:09 AM

Evening everyone

Another update coming up and lots more NSDs being nabbed today by the looks of it, yippeeeeeeeeee

Firstly, big THANK YOU to Freeby for all the work you put into this challenge, it’s very much appreciated by all of us

Targets reached:

Candlewick - a brilliant NSD no 18 nabbed and your second target reached, that’s fantastic. Freeby will award your prize tomorrow, keep an eye out for it. Yay to your 5 in-a-rowtarget being met as well, you’re definitely on a roll.
Good luck with your new targets of 18 NSDs and 7 in-a-row, you can do it!

MissE001 - a brilliant NSD no 10 nabbed and your target reached, that’s fantastic.
Freeby will award your prize tomorrow, keep an eye out for it. Fingers crossed for another one or two this week

Well done to:

armchairexpert - NSD no 11 nabbed and added to the pile now, that’s brilliant. Don’t worry, we all have our moments of rebellion so you’re definitely not alone there

beanie - a fantastic NSD no 19 grabbed and added to the pot. You’re doing brilliantly as always. Thank you again xx

coolcats - a brilliant NSD no 12 nabbed and added to the pile now, that’s fantastic. Keep going now, of course you can do it

Debtbusterintraining - refusing to spend today has netted you a brilliant NSD no 5. You’re nearly there now, you can do it

Delilahh - yay to NSD no 7 joining the pack, that’s fantastic. Keep going you can do it

emsloves - I love unexpected NSDs, they’re definitely the best. That’s NSD no 20 added to the pot now, woohoo!

fedup... - yay to an NSD weekend netting you NSD no 14, that’s brilliant. Keep going now

Jelly - woohoo to NSD no 16 joining the pack, that’s fantastic. Fingers crossed for some more before the end of the month

Karb - woohoo to NSD no 11 joining the pack, that’s fantastic. Good luck with getting your target, you can do it

karen - a brilliant NSD no 11 nabbed and added to the pile now, that’s fantastic. Keep going now, you’re nearly there

katholicos - woohoo to NSD no 16 joining the pack, that’s fantastic. Keep going now, you’re nearly there

marmite - a fantastic NSD no 16 grabbed and added to the pot, thats brilliant. You’re nearly there now, keep going
Thank you again x

ModestyB - that’s another NSD no 12a added to the pot, you’re doing brilliantly this month, keep going. There’s nothing wrong with 3 NSDs in-a-row you know, don’t be too hard on yourself

Nargle - woohoo to NSD no 11 joining the pack, you’ve done brilliantly this month considering all the spendy things you had to deal with.... I don’t think that’s being sneaky at all btw

wildcherry - yay to your lovely friend saving your NSD so that’s no 14 added to the pot and just one more to get. You can do it!

And hello to:

couldsavemore - fingers crossed for another NSD today

kerri - more bargains for you today

ETO - sometimes spendy days just catch us unawares. Fingers crossed for lots of NSDs rolling in next week
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to solventsoon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 950
solventsoon
Old 25-02-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Woo hoo!!!! lodgers OH is away so she has gone home for a few days to sort out her stuff & pack properly to move into mine, it's only a temporary repreive, but it was heaven to get back to an empty house & be able to potter around as i like!!
As she will be away until the middle of the week i am going to be really naughty & chuck a sickie at uni this week, then i have 3 whole nights at home alone, i am just soooooo excited!!
Brilliant news BDINI

Quote:
Oh & i won't be around to do my update on Weds, so so sorry , but i am heading home for the funeral which is Thursday morning, i do hope you guys won't mind managing without, i promise to be back on track next week!!
Hope Thursday goes as well as it can hun xx

Quote:
Wow..... what lovely friends you have, that kind of thing really restores your faith in human nature. It's a bit of a shame that we can't choose our families as well as our friends
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to solventsoon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 951
solventsoon
Old 25-02-2013, 12:15 AM

And finally....

NSD no 21 for me please Freeby, there has to be some advantage to feeling like death warmed up I guess...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to solventsoon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 952
katholicos
Old 25-02-2013, 12:55 AM

Thanks for doing that update and as always, you are so encouraging Spoon

Sorry to read that you are unwell. Do hope that you will soon feel much, much better (((hugs)))
Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to katholicos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 953
BritAbroad
Old 25-02-2013, 4:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Managed to get NSD 16 and 17!

Today was very definitely not a NSD day, but tomorrow might well turn into one - the weather is horrific so if I don't have to go out, I won't!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BritAbroad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 954
freebyfifty
Old 25-02-2013, 5:33 AM

Good Morning

The front page is looking great and lots of targets are being smashed - Well done everyone

I managed to hit my second target with NSD #23 yesterday so have increased it up to 25.

Have a great Monday
Debt Free by 50. 4 years 2 months and 10 days to go!!!
Studio 531.95 F/Mans 193.98 L/Woods97.62
August NSD Challenge 24/21
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freebyfifty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 955
freebyfifty
Old 25-02-2013, 5:38 AM

There are

of us taking part in the NSD Challenge

and so far we have collected

677 NSDs

Debt Free by 50. 4 years 2 months and 10 days to go!!!
Studio 531.95 F/Mans 193.98 L/Woods97.62
August NSD Challenge 24/21
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freebyfifty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 956
couldsavemore
Old 25-02-2013, 7:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

yesterday was most definitely a NSD so thats. 16/20 on the downhill slide now.should be another today.

spent the morning with dgd then took her home then the afternoon was spent chatting to my very sensible ds and his equally sensible gf about saving for deposit for a house. refered them to this site to find best savings account and info about mortgages etc. they have planned there budgets well for the next year so will see how they go.

the start of a new week got a long day ahead so i best get on with it
have a good day everyone.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to couldsavemore For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 957
cw18
Old 25-02-2013, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargleblast View Post
Cw - sounds like you are well out of that working (or is it shirking?) environment. Any ideas about your next job?
Not really...

I still fancy child-minding or fostering, so it's back to living off savings while I try to declutter the house. I've also considered downsizing the house many times in the last 4 years - even though I absolutely love the house I'm in. If I moved smaller things like the council tax would come down, but I'm not convinced by enough to cover extra gas for heating (this place seems really good with insulation). But I can't do anything about either option until I've downsized my junk belongings - and if I go for a child-care option I'd want to stay put so I have the space, meaning downsizing isn't something I can rush into although it's something I should keep in mind.
Cheryl
Frugal Living '14 (2358.35/15k); GC (599.35/2875); NSDs (65/150)
as of 21st April
:
GC Budget / spent : Apr 236.30 / 95.15 to 31st Mar '14 708.90 / 504.20, credit balance 204.70
Whoopsies spent / value : Apr 11.79 / 36.02. to 31st Mar '14 13.83 / 28.94
NSDs target / achieved : Apr 15 / 13.
to 31st Mar '14 45 / 52
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cw18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 958
cw18
Old 25-02-2013, 8:06 AM

And yesterday was #14

Today will be a spend day though.... groceries needed, especially as there's a definite abscence of milk for DS in the fridge

OH's definitely getting to grips with my efforts on this challenge He's asked me to pick something up for him in the Mr T by the gym (if they still have what I saw last week) as his doesn't have any, and when he thought it might be the only thing I was going in for actually said "but that won't count against you as a spend will it, after all it's my money you're spending'
Cheryl
Frugal Living '14 (2358.35/15k); GC (599.35/2875); NSDs (65/150)
as of 21st April
:
GC Budget / spent : Apr 236.30 / 95.15 to 31st Mar '14 708.90 / 504.20, credit balance 204.70
Whoopsies spent / value : Apr 11.79 / 36.02. to 31st Mar '14 13.83 / 28.94
NSDs target / achieved : Apr 15 / 13.
to 31st Mar '14 45 / 52
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cw18 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 959
Sazzie23
Old 25-02-2013, 8:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Cheers for good friends

Morning everyone,

nsd 15 For yesterday

Since 15 is my target..yippee

Please can I up target to 17?

Yesterday sort of planned, friend cooked dinner for us both then watched a certain bond movie on the Tv demand thingy, she paid, but I took her a pressie which had been duplicated to me at Christmas. I was honest, but it was something she'd like too.

Bdini your friends are awesome, hope all goes well this week. Can understand you need a few days off to recover.

Thanks for advice about underspent fuel budget, it's only a smallish amount due to not going out and a shorter month etc. I have banking issues due to offset rules, but I like the idea of getting it away - otherwise it will just vanish ...magic trick I'm very good at

Thanks to updating and target folk.
Its a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time. Currently paying off approx 1.1% per month & Estimated debt free date Aug 2018
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sazzie23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 960
HeadAboveWater
Old 25-02-2013, 9:39 AM

Wow lots of catching up to do again!!! Well done everyone

Nabbed NSD #9 on Saturday which is unusual for me!! Was busy cleaning cupboards though so no opportunity to spend! Was out on Sat night for dinner and drinks but OH paid for the lot

NSD #10 yesterday! Only did grocery shopping with OH which is a necessary spend and within budget. Well done me!

Hopefully hit target within the next couple of days

EDIT:
Oh!! I got another one today!! Wasn't expecting to as I was round the shops at lunch time and those dreaded UNnecessary spends are a !!!!!!!! ha ha

Number 11 for me today please! Almost at target!! Woohooooooooo!!
Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out

FD Target take 2: 1750/3600
ebay sales 2014: 106.64

Last edited by HeadAboveWater; 25-02-2013 at 4:12 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HeadAboveWater For This Useful Post: Show me >>