Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

The Love is in the Air February NSD Challenge
    • 26th Jan 13, 8:05 AM
    The Love is in the Air February NSD Challenge 26th Jan 13 at 8:05 AM
    Welcome to the February No Spend Day (NSD) thread!!

We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Link to last month's challenge is below so any newcomers can see what we get up to (hmmmmm... on second thoughts, that might put you off...)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 19-02-2013 at 4:37 PM.
    Free by Fifty

Debt of the Moment -
    August NSD Challenge 14/15
Page 3
  • EverTheOptimist
    Evening everyone.

Signing up for 12 NSD's again please. Was going to up the target but hubby doesn't go back to afghan until 6th is so those days are wiped out, and its a shorter month. Would rather make it achievable and up it later if I can.

Thanks to freeby for the thread and to all the updaters, you know who you are!!
    DEBT: £2300
    SPC 7 #5 target = £100 / actual = £60
    SPC 8 #5 target £100

£1 a week challenge - £107/ £365
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 27th Jan 13, 10:04 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    February Love
    Hi every one

3 pages already and we're still in January

Please sign me up for 15 NSD with 3 in a row

I'm still struggling to reach the January target of 15 /3 in a row and February is shorter to I think that'll be a challenge of its own

I don't count DD as can't rely on when they actually come out of account and they'll be moving shortly to a budgeted account just for DD. I'm not sure how to exclude some budgeted shopping without giving myself excuses to spend so I'll probably stick to counting it all in Feb.
    Guide dog Tess missing from Scotland now 1 year

Debt - Its a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time. Debt payments minimal due to life's circumstances, therefore that Estimated debt free date Aug 2018 is a bit ambitious, it's now 2030 ! but I'm not giving up.
    . DMP support No438
  • clairey em
    Hiya freeby and everyone! I'd love to join in this month please, very very tight budget this month and if we can stick to it I will be thrilled!

So I'd like to go for 16 NSD

Thank you xx
    xx claire xx
    Full time working mum to:
    DS1 27/11/07, DS2 18/03/11, Ddog 16/04/08
    DH Stay at home dad
    DF since Oct 14
  • ifwisheswerehorses...

Hi lovely NSD gang
    As you can see there is lots of activity on this challenge at the moment and it's difficult sometimes to see how many NSDs you're all declaring on posts.
    Could I ask you to highlight your number of NSDs in a colour and in bold so that I can see them easily when I whizz through the posts - red would be best but I don't really mind as long as I can see the numbers easily.
    Originally posted by freebyfifty

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out )
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by....
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
    BSC Member 310
  • freebyfifty
    Good Morning Everyone

It is lovely to see you all, and so many newbies signing up
    Keep checking in and updating us all on your progress, you'll soon be addicted and have made some lovely virtual friends

Front page is up to date (for the moment) and this time I remembered me 20 NSDs and 5-in-a-Row.

Have a great Monday.
    Free by Fifty

Debt of the Moment -
  • darwins_mum
    Good morning all, I didn't see this thread last month, and actually did 19 days. A record for me. Please put me down for the whole of February.

Good luck everyone
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2015 £48.58/£200
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 28th Jan 13, 9:32 AM
    • 5,896 Posts
    • 30,683 Thanks
    Hi to all newbies!

I hope you enjoy the challengë!

Thanks freeby,if and all the updaters.

Can I please be put down for 18 nsds please.
    NSD October 2/10 J20 F18 M18 A17 M26 J23 J19 A22 S19 ~ NSD total '15 184/227
    • chris81418
    • By chris81418 28th Jan 13, 9:44 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 7,392 Thanks
    Hello everyone!

Thanks for the shiny new thread Freeby!

I'd like to pledge my usual lucky 19 NSDs and 6 NSDs in-a-row please. Thank you Freeby!

Good luck catching those NSDs everyone!
    Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts!
    DFW Nerd #1256, WSC £?/£? for w/c 03/03/2013, NSD ?/19 for 03/2013, Long Hauler #196

highest debts: 01/06/2006 £69,023.92
    debt free date: 31/12/2012 £0!
  • Sazdaz
    Can I please be put down for 15 NSDs this month, I think I am going to be a bit short in Jan by one or two NSDs so thought go for same amount until I hit it.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • heartbreak_star
    Okay, I hit my January target so let's try for 12 NSDs in February!

Good luck everyone!

HBS x
    It's the world in union
    The world as one
    As we climb to reach our destiny
    A new age has begun
    • CatherineMM
    • By CatherineMM 28th Jan 13, 12:26 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Hi, can I join again please? I have been absent and sadly spending too much for the last 6 months...I would love to restart the challenge and go for 14 NSD and 4 in a Row please.

Thank-you and hello again

Make £10/day Oct: £493.07
    GC Oct: £115.53/£240 - NSD Oct 3/25
    Quidco £1,899.32 - Prizes £250 / 4 trips - Road Kill £75.60 / Euro5.01
    Nectar £8.60 Tesco £18.50 Boots £12.98
  • flowerofscotland
    I loved taking part in January's challenge (and so has my bank balance) so please sign me up for February.

My target for January was 15 and I've achieved it so my target for Feb is 16 NSDs

As there are only 28 days in Feb compared to Jan's 31 this is actually an increase from 48% of days being NSD in the month to 57% so I will be very chuffed to achieve this goal

Thank you to all involved in this very inspirational thread
  • freebyfifty
    Good morning all, I didn't see this thread last month, and actually did 19 days. A record for me. Please put me down for the whole of February.

Good luck everyone
    Originally posted by darwins_mum

Hi DM,

Do you mean you want to go for 28 NSDs??? If so, very well done and loads of luck
    Free by Fifty

Debt of the Moment -
  • The Dragon
    Oooh missed the link over the weekend! Can have a Starter for 10 please and 6 in-a row
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • fedupandskint
    I would like my target to be 20 NSD for Feb.
    Here goes!
    NSD Oct 1/31 2015 GC £1440 clothes no spend Oct 1/31
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £12249.33
    VSP no.121 £108.65 SPC no.16
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Karb
    Well, 28 days in Feb, and I've just hit my target of 12 NSDs in January on the 28th day, so no reason why I can't hit 12 again.

So, on the basis that I ought to set a more challenging target, I'm going to aim for 14 NSDs please
    Pay all your debt by Xmas 2015 - £462.74/£4742.87

• slowlyfading
    Please can you put me down for 16 NSDs?
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    2015 Frugal Challenge Member / Oct NSD - 4/20 / Ultimate Dream Fund - £3,581.66/£306,000
    Engaged 14/08/10 // Married 31/03/12 // DS born August 15
  • LMac
    Im away for a holiday later this month so Im aiming for 12 NSDs again - saving the pennies to splurge later!

Thanks to everyone involved in running the challenge
    September "warm up" 20th to 30th Grocery : £0 /£70 NSD : 0/ 5
    October 2014 Grocery : £0/£200, NSD : 0/10
  • frugalgdubs
    First attempt!!!
    I am going to give the NSD a go in Feb. I think I could manage a minimum of 10.

I have stocked up well, and have been getting loads of inspiration and ideas from you guys!!

Bring on Feb!!!!
    LBM DEC 13, MBNA CC £5300 (£8k),Barclays CC £7800 (£8k), Barclays Loan £0 (£5k), Virgin CC £7400 (£10k)
    Overdraft £3800 (£4650) Slow but steady, need to ramp up the payments in 2015! NSD Jan 16/12! Feb 5/10 bad month Mar 1/10
  • katholicos
    Since i am currently at 15 nsds for january, i think i will switch it up a gear and have a crack at 18 nsds in february please. Many thanks all

Really want to try to practice mindfully spending money in february, so knowing i only have ten days in which to spend, should shake me up a bit so that i plan my spends rather than just letting them happen willy-nilly, as i do now.
    Last edited by katholicos; 29-01-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,170Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • @nicho280 use the flightstats link in my guide

• RT @TheMylesMoney: Hats off to @MartinSLewis for slamming the govt's attempts to change #StudentLoan repayment rules retrospectively: http:?

• My train lands in 30mins. Can't wait. Mrs MSE's kept baby MSE up so I can put her to bed. Loved the roadshows but hate missing bedtimes

• Follow Martin