Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > The Love is in the Air February NSD Challenge (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Love is in the Air February NSD Challenge
Views: 25,851
# 21
WelshWoofer
Old 26-01-2013, 2:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello all!
I'm still battling my way to January's NSD total - might just sneak it if I try really hard.

I'll have another go at February with 10 NSDs please.
September grocery spending - £49.13 / £120
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WelshWoofer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
ifwisheswerehorses...
Old 26-01-2013, 3:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Smile ~ Welcome to February's NSD Challenge ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebyfifty View Post

Hi lovely NSD gang
As you can see there is lots of activity on this challenge at the moment and it's difficult sometimes to see how many NSDs you're all declaring on posts.
Could I ask you to highlight your number of NSDs in a colour and in bold so that I can see them easily when I whizz through the posts - red would be best but I don't really mind as long as I can see the numbers easily.

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
2. It is NOT a race!
We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way
3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic
Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet
Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out )
General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you
2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline
It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by....
let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained

And Remember;
there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
"If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
BSC Member 310
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ifwisheswerehorses... For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
Nargleblast
Old 26-01-2013, 3:55 PM

Whoopiedoop, a brand new thread for February!

I am going to be a very ambitious Nargle and aim for (shock horror gasp!) 15 NSDs !!!!

Come on and feel the luuurrrrvvvve....
Officlal DFW Nerd number 1162
In debt but working at it and stayin' cool!
In fact, my Debt Free Date has now appeared on the horizon - August 1st 2015!!!!!!

September NSDs - 0 of 15
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nargleblast For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
complimentschemistry
Old 26-01-2013, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi everyone

It's been ages since I've done a NSD challenge so put me down for

8 NSDs in February

And I'll try and do at least 3 in a row

Was going to go for 5 but thought I'd push myself a bit more!

Good luck everyone
2013: The Year of Career
Needs, Not Wants!
NSDs for April: 0/10
2013 Crazy Clothes Challenge: £43/£200

Weight loss: 3/35lbs *35lbs in 35 weeks - 24.02.13 to 27.10.13*
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to complimentschemistry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
couldsavemore
Old 26-01-2013, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

can you put me down for20 i do have my DD birthday and quite a few in March so i do need to go shopping for presents along with the usual.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to couldsavemore For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
PennySaving
Old 26-01-2013, 8:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Everyone!
I would like to try for 12 NSDs in February. I am almost at my target for January so feeling a little bit confident about February. This thread has really helped me to focus on my spending & the results are already helping towards the dreaded credit card.
Thank you for Freeby & everyone else who updates us all
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PennySaving For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
HeadAboveWater
Old 27-01-2013, 12:15 AM

Hmmmmmm let's go for..... 12 NSDs!!

Think I'll make it by the skin of my teeth for Jan so why not?!

Good luck everyone!!!!
Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out

FD Target take 2: £3025/£3600
ebay sales 2014: £106.64
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to HeadAboveWater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
freebyfifty
Old 27-01-2013, 7:33 AM

Welcome to everyone
Hello to all the newbies who have signed up, you are going to love it here and will soon be addicted to NSDing

The front page is up to date so far, but they'll be loads of additions today, I'm sure; including me - I forgot to put my target on
Debt Free by 50. 4 years 2 months and 10 days to go!!!
Studio £531.95 F/Mans £193.98 L/Woods£97.62
August NSD Challenge 24/21
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freebyfifty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
rising from the ashes
Old 27-01-2013, 9:06 AM

Oh my ... February already anyone else get the feeling this years' going to fly by too!

Thanks as always to Freeby, the lovely updaters and IF for the wonderful picsYou are all

So ..... I've really struggled in January - despite doing the challenge for a long time now! (Think some of that has been down to finally being able to get out & about again after 3+ months cooped up in the house)

So .... let's try for 14 NSD

Best of luck everyone!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual £2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
bt1
Old 27-01-2013, 9:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

I'm back in the wagon after a few months off!

Going to try for 20 in February!

Thanks x
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bt1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Skint_Catt
Old 27-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Hi all, please can I join this month?

I'll start with 10 NSD's for now, though seeing as I've got no money that should be entirey doable!!!

I only count personal spending if that's ok, as that's the bit I need to rein in - grocery comes from hubby into a separate account although sometimes I do buy a top-up shop from my own funds & most other bills are either budgeted for/spent by hubby.

Hope that's ok?

C xx
New to Comping; 12 tubes of Pringles, Paul Mitchell Travel Kit....
Terramundi = £658.80
SW Loser 2003-14 3lbs/78lbs
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Skint_Catt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Debtbusterintraining
Old 27-01-2013, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sign me up again pretty please 9 NSDs for this month. Having only just met my January target with 5 days to spare I'm only increasing my target by 1. Thanks freeby for all your hard work,loving your animations.
LBM Jan 2012 £32355 now £23984.01
GC Feb£289.64/300 Mar £284.92/300Apr £215.53/300
£2 Savers £124/100
NSDs Jan 9/8 Feb 6/9mar 8/9 Apr 5/9
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Debtbusterintraining For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
hummingbird
Old 27-01-2013, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I will try for 5 NSDs in February please! (I sort of lost January, can't believe it's almost over!!) Hummingbird x
£30 a day extra in August£265.96/930.00
Sealed Pot#133 started 08/11/13 Target £1000x2 from Sue BANKED £200.[/B]
Extra money made in : July - £453.20
PAD started 20/08/14 total £23.61
Make money for Christmas : £20/360
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hummingbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Nargleblast
Old 27-01-2013, 2:34 PM

Skint_Catt - welcome to the asylum! Freeby will add you to the front page later. You set your own rules here, so what you suggest is fine. I personally count all spends including household bill DDs, but that's because I like to give myself a tough challenge. Lots of people focus on avoiding the ad hoc incidental spends so they don't count any household bills as these are budgeted unavoidable spends, and some might put a limit on the household grocery apend for each week, so providing they keep within that figure they can claim a No Spend Day. Anyway, however you choose to do it, remember we don't use the F word on here. (F as in f a i l....ssshh! ) as it is definitely counted as a swear word. And any of that kind of swearing leads to dire punsihments...I will leave it to other gang members to let you in on what they are.....in the meantime, have fun!
Officlal DFW Nerd number 1162
In debt but working at it and stayin' cool!
In fact, my Debt Free Date has now appeared on the horizon - August 1st 2015!!!!!!

September NSDs - 0 of 15
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nargleblast For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
karenccs67
Old 27-01-2013, 3:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Nsd challenge

I would like to join this challenge and for February I would like to be quite bold (for us) and say

14 NSD

On payday we total up the months compulsory outgoings and whatever is left over we transfer to another account and use that to pay for food, petrol etc, it is from this account that I intend to manage the NSD challenge.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to karenccs67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
ButterflyBee
Old 27-01-2013, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello Karenccs67, that too is what I plan to do this month.

Good luck to all the NSD challengers, I wish Feb has already started for me! only a few days left!
Cash is King Rules Apply!
DEBT#137:May£7913.00,Apr£7133.33,Mrch£8250.50,Feb£6714.08, Jan£6714.08
Mortgage Dec 2012 £184,822/Dec2008 £191,809
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ButterflyBee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
kalojac
Old 27-01-2013, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Yahoo to kalojac

Hi, can I join please, I'd like to aim for 10
Grocery Challenges 2014 Jan £312.22/£300

Jan NSDs 3/10 Make £2014 in 2014 £166/£2014

Trying to take control of our money and making our money work for us. Lightbulb moment 23/12/13
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kalojac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
flubberyzing
Old 27-01-2013, 7:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My usual 15 please lovelies!
Because it's fun to have money!

2014 Freebies!: 2 Dove deodorants, Tesco's Finest potatoes, 2 packs of Always Dailies pantyliners, £24 worth of John Frieda Frizz Ease products, Tesco's Finest pasta, Jacobs bagel chips, 4 Heinz baby food pouches, Optrex Eye Revive Mist, Tesco's Finest steak, £5 Tesco homeware voucher, Hovis granary bread,
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to flubberyzing For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Tiggy10
Old 27-01-2013, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi all! I need to give this a go this month.
thinking 15
with 5 in a row

setting my sights to the sky!
Paying off my OD 1% at a time: 2000 450 - 80% Complete
Santander Loan 1000 375
OD 2 200
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tiggy10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
daizyboo
Old 27-01-2013, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

12 NSDsfor me please x
No buying toiletries in 2013
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to daizyboo For This Useful Post: Show me >>