Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 25th Jan 13, 7:50 AM
    • 6,446Posts
    • 49,878Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 12
    • 25th Jan 13, 7:50 AM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 12 25th Jan 13 at 7:50 AM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
    Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 25-01-2013 at 8:14 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 1
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 25th Jan 13, 7:55 AM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    • 25th Jan 13, 7:55 AM
    • 25th Jan 13, 7:55 AM
    Morning Shaggy, just posted on the other thread and then saw your post so thought I should move it here

Think I mucked up recording my AF days so I have 24/29 AF now please Shaggy and 4 SNC thanks Mackeroo
    I want to be debt free within the next year and then start saving a deposit for a house
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 25th Jan 13, 8:01 AM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 49,878 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    • 25th Jan 13, 8:01 AM
    • 25th Jan 13, 8:01 AM
    Morning Shaggy, just posted on the other thread and then saw your post so thought I should move it here

Think I mucked up recording my AF days so I have 24/29 AF now please Shaggy and 4 SNC thanks Mackeroo
    Originally posted by Lilith1980
    Hi updated . January challenge coming up in next post
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 25th Jan 13, 8:02 AM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 49,878 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    • 25th Jan 13, 8:02 AM
    • 25th Jan 13, 8:02 AM
    January :-

= 7 Days AF

= 14 days AF

= 21 days AF

= 28 days AF

= 31 days AF

= target achieved

Barny1979 24/31

Cazzyd 1/30

Chloris 12/23

Chocolate Cupcake
    23/31

CuppaTea 16
    /18

December Baby 10/20

Flat Eric /31

Gien 17/20

Jak 24/31

Kiittiej 24/30

Lamarsi /31

Lilith 24/TF
    Mackeroo 12/12
    Maman 17/10

Mari 19/25

Mookie Pook 7/29

Muchin /31

Mummy2threeboys 10/31

Pinkbrick /25

Rachel 21/31

priceySOS
    16/25

Satchmo 24/22
    Shaggy 19/17

StupotStu 10/TF

Top Girl 23/31

Tracy
    20/31

Unself 12/15

Warbonnet 24/31

WBF 9/10

41 and I know it 20/TF

Everyone Welcome!

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've got your AFDs wrong!!!!!
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 25th Jan 13, 9:06 AM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    • 25th Jan 13, 9:06 AM
    • 25th Jan 13, 9:06 AM
    If nothing else I'm gonna do it just to get that dancing banana!
    I want to be debt free within the next year and then start saving a deposit for a house
  • kittiej
    • 25th Jan 13, 9:29 AM
    • 25th Jan 13, 9:29 AM
    Woo-hoo a shiny new thread

Today might be the only alcoholic day of the month, I'll see how I feel later.

My 7yo son has told me we can go to Poundw0rld and I can choose a birthday present for myself

Well done everyone!
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
    • jak
    • By jak 25th Jan 13, 10:05 AM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    jak
    • 25th Jan 13, 10:05 AM
    • 25th Jan 13, 10:05 AM
    Hooray! A lovely new thread! Off to subscribe X
    Newly disabled and finding life tough! Please be gentle with me xx
    • tracy_36
    • By tracy_36 25th Jan 13, 12:37 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    tracy_36
    • 25th Jan 13, 12:37 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 12:37 PM
    Thanks for the new thread

I am up to 21AF now, and completed the SNC, yahhh

Am taking the kids to meet my new guy tonight, going bowling, so will be AF as driving

I too have been eating alot more junk this week, need to get back into a fitness regime - think the cold is putting me off at the mo

Hope you all have good Fridays
    Tracy x
    • maman
    • By maman 25th Jan 13, 1:25 PM
    • 15,961 Posts
    • 95,264 Thanks
    maman
    • 25th Jan 13, 1:25 PM
    • 25th Jan 13, 1:25 PM
    Hooray! A lovely new thread! Off to subscribe X
    Originally posted by jak
    Exactly what she said!!

I did stay AF last night as planned

18 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • rachelww1
    Not been on for a couple of days but still going strong making 24 AFDs and 4SNC. Had quite a few of the 'ooh not long to go now' comments lately. But I think these people may just be jealous as they are all part of my 'drinking' crowd. Now to think of an excuse for when Dryatlon finishes for when I don't want to drink....
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 25th Jan 13, 2:00 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Not been on for a couple of days but still going strong making 24 AFDs and 4SNC. Had quite a few of the 'ooh not long to go now' comments lately. But I think these people may just be jealous as they are all part of my 'drinking' crowd. Now to think of an excuse for when Dryatlon finishes for when I don't want to drink....
    Originally posted by rachelww1
    Good on you for keeping going despite people's comments. It really irks me that some of the people we consider as 'friends' seem to make jibes, as though WE are the weird ones for giving up/cutting down on alcohol.

It's funny you saying this because I was just about to post about my 'friend' at uni. We were exchanging emails through Facebook the other day and I said that I had made the decision to not drink anymore...guess what, not had a reply since

Really annoys me. I have my own personal, VALID, reasons for doing what I am doing and some people take issue to it, I think because they have their own issues with alcohol and want to keep others 'down there' with them
    • *Mari*
    • By *Mari* 25th Jan 13, 2:28 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    *Mari*
    Well today has not been good, I have not got onto the training at work that I really wanted so feeling very down

Not sure what tonight will bring, me and oh may go out and I may have a drink. If I do I won't hit my target, but at the moment I don't really care

Hopefully I'll feel better later
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 25th Jan 13, 6:27 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 8,402 Thanks
    Chloris
    Originally posted by rachelww1

How about just saying you have lost the taste for it/gone off it? There is no kind of value judgement in that. People will get used to it eventually. I think people don't really like change much and we all know we can be prats when drunk so tend to avoid sober people!

Good luck!

13 AFD please Shaggy. x
    • maman
    • By maman 25th Jan 13, 6:45 PM
    • 15,961 Posts
    • 95,264 Thanks
    maman

Sending you these mari (far better than the pervy hugs). Hope you have a good evening with OH whatever you decide.
    • jak
    • By jak 25th Jan 13, 7:00 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    jak
    Well I to have had a rubbish day. Got to take the cat to the vet Tuesday which I can ill afford, I've asked my Mum to have her and her husband is moaning, he just annoys me. And had to take little man to hideous birthday party. 38 kids. Nightmare. Clicky Mummies everywhere going on about reading levels and how clever their little darling is. (Usually the one who looks like a thug and has just punched my boy in the face....) As you can tell, I am not enamoured...
    Anyway, finally home and believe me I would kill for a drink. I've had a camomile tea which hasn't really helped to be honest. So i'm venting on here instead!!!! RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    X
    Newly disabled and finding life tough! Please be gentle with me xx
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 25th Jan 13, 7:41 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Feel free to vent Jak, it's safe here and no one will judge. Well done on the camomile tea

I'm not a mum so have no experience of 'mummy cliques' although I did get excluded from groups at school as I was a bit too geeky to join the good-looking girls lol. Try and let them wash over you, they are the pathetic ones with nothing better to do than play the one upmanship (sp?) card
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 25th Jan 13, 7:57 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi all, I will post my numbers now as I am going to my mum's tomorrow morning (3.5 hour drive) so probably won't be on here tomorrow.

25/30 AFD please Shaggy and completed the SNC thanks Mackeroo

Feeling butterfiles in my stomach but also feel surprisingly strong. I think I underestimate how strong I am at times and tend to assume I will crumble, but I've come too far to do that.

Speak to you all soon. Have a good weekend
    • mackeroo
    • By mackeroo 25th Jan 13, 9:28 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 5,631 Thanks
    mackeroo
    13 AF please Shaggy.
    Had an AF Fri which im pleased about as woke up feeling awful this morning and it reminded me why I hate waking up with a hangover, so not having a drink this eve was pretty easy i have to say. My challenge will be tomorrow night, in that, i want to enjoy a glass of wine or 2 but not binge drink and make up for not drinking tonight. If i decide to drink, then my plan is to have half a bottle of wine and leave the other half for either Sun or later on in the week.
    Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
    Itís not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts
  • warbonnet
    How about just saying you have lost the taste for it/gone off it? There is no kind of value judgement in that. People will get used to it eventually. I think people don't really like change much and we all know we can be prats when drunk so tend to avoid sober people!

Good luck!

13 AFD please Shaggy. x
    Originally posted by Chloris
    I think allergic is a good one, who would want you to drink if you said that!
    I had to replace my car, I got a tesco interest free cc with 18 months interest free period

£5600 with 18 months to pay it.
  • 41 and i know it
    Hi everyone. Last night could have been much much worse. If I wasn't involved in this forum then I would've got bladdered, instead I drank the 175mls of 8.5% white wine, which I actually enjoyed (I was shocked too!) and then read the labels on all the different booze in the fridge before making an informed decision to drink the lowest units per can which happened to be John Smith's, don't laugh. So the wine and 3 cans at 1.7 units a can, went to bed stinking of beer but not drunk. Got up feeling okay and that's because of the taste of the beer which I wasn't too keen on and the sheer volume of 3 cans at 3.8%. Anyway not condoning my behaviour or saying you should try it. But it was nice to know exactly what I was swallowing and the effect it had, which I was in control of.
    So, by end of today I will be 21/31 and 3 SNC so I'm taking it day by day, not hating myself for giving in because I am so glad that I didn't resort to the good old I've started so I'll finish mentality where I get bladdered. Would like to hear your thoughts on this, does it mean I am learning how to know when I've had enough, or am I just making excuses so I don't have to give up.

Tesco Credit Card £250 £25 DD 0% for next 10 months.

Barclaycard Initial £241.45 0% for next 7 mths.
    Your parents choose your beginning....
    .... you get to choose the ending.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,929Posts Today

5,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin