The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 12

shaggydoo
shaggydoo Posts: 8,406
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Forumite
edited 25 January 2013 at 8:14AM in Debt free diaries
Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008
In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!
And here's what she started!!! :

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.
Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.

Comments

• Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning Shaggy, just posted on the other thread and then saw your post so thought I should move it here :)

Think I mucked up recording my AF days so I have 24/29 AF now please Shaggy and 4 SNC thanks Mackeroo
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    Lilith1980 wrote: »
    Morning Shaggy, just posted on the other thread and then saw your post so thought I should move it here :)

Think I mucked up recording my AF days so I have 24/29 AF now please Shaggy and 4 SNC thanks Mackeroo

Hi updated :). January challenge coming up in next post:)
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Forumite
    January :-

dance2.gif= 7 Days AF

yay.gif= 14 days AF

yay.gif = 21 days AF

angel-smiley-004.gif = 28 days AF

smiley-score010.gifyay-smiley-1.gif= 31 days AF

woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif = target achieved

Barny1979 24/31
    dance2.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Cazzyd 1/30

Chloris 12/23
    dance2.gif

Chocolate Cupcake
    23/31
    dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif

CuppaTea 16
    /18
    dance2.gifyay.gif

December Baby 10/20 dance2.gif

Flat Eric /31

Gien 17/20
    dance2.gifyay.gif

Jak 24/31 dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif

Kiittiej 24/30 dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif

Lamarsi /31

Lilith 24/TF dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif
    Mackeroo 12/12 dance2.gifwoohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Maman 17/10 dance2.gifwoohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gifyay.gif

Mari 19/25 dance2.gifyay.gif

Mookie Pook 7/29 dance2.gif

Muchin /31

Mummy2threeboys 10/31 dance2.gif

Pinkbrick /25

Rachel 21/31 dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif

priceySOS
    16/25
    dance2.gifyay.gif
    Satchmo 24/22 dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gifwoohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Shaggy 19/17 dance2.gifyay.gif woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

StupotStu 10/TF dance2.gif

Top Girl 23/31
    dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif

Tracy
    20/31
    dance2.gifyay.gif

Unself 12/15 dance2.gif

Warbonnet 24/31 dance2.gifyay.gif yay.gif

WBF 9/10 dance2.gif

41 and I know it 20/TF dance2.gifyay.gif

Everyone Welcome!

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've got your AFDs wrong!!!!!
  • Lilith1980
    Forumite
    If nothing else I'm gonna do it just to get that dancing banana!
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Woo-hoo a shiny new thread :j

Today might be the only alcoholic day of the month, I'll see how I feel later.

My 7yo son has told me we can go to Poundw0rld and I can choose a birthday present for myself :D

Well done everyone!
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hooray! A lovely new thread! Off to subscribe X
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • tracy_36
    tracy_36 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread :)

I am up to 21AF now, and completed the SNC, yahhh

Am taking the kids to meet my new guy tonight, going bowling, so will be AF as driving

I too have been eating alot more junk this week, need to get back into a fitness regime - think the cold is putting me off at the mo

Hope you all have good Fridays
    Tracy x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,458
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jak wrote: »
    Hooray! A lovely new thread! Off to subscribe X

Exactly what she said!!:):T

I did stay AF last night as planned

18 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Not been on for a couple of days but still going strong making 24 AFDs and 4SNC. Had quite a few of the 'ooh not long to go now' comments lately. But I think these people may just be jealous as they are all part of my 'drinking' crowd. Now to think of an excuse for when Dryatlon finishes for when I don't want to drink....
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • Lilith1980
    Forumite
    rachelww1 wrote: »
    Not been on for a couple of days but still going strong making 24 AFDs and 4SNC. Had quite a few of the 'ooh not long to go now' comments lately. But I think these people may just be jealous as they are all part of my 'drinking' crowd. Now to think of an excuse for when Dryatlon finishes for when I don't want to drink....

Good on you for keeping going despite people's comments. It really irks me that some of the people we consider as 'friends' seem to make jibes, as though WE are the weird ones for giving up/cutting down on alcohol.

It's funny you saying this because I was just about to post about my 'friend' at uni. We were exchanging emails through Facebook the other day and I said that I had made the decision to not drink anymore...guess what, not had a reply since :mad:

Really annoys me. I have my own personal, VALID, reasons for doing what I am doing and some people take issue to it, I think because they have their own issues with alcohol and want to keep others 'down there' with them :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure