Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > How long to ESA decisions take, after questionair... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long to ESA decisions take, after questionaires are sent back?
Views: 26,684
# 1
gemmaking
Old 25-01-2013, 6:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How long to ESA decisions take, after questionaires are sent back?

Asking on behalf of a client who is in the process of filling in her ESA form.
changing form IS to this,

Their support worker says there is a high change they ill qualify for the support group. (with the avoidance of a called in interview)

min - max weeks/months range ?

If you got in the support group, how long did your decision take to get made ?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
satarical
Old 25-01-2013, 12:25 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmaking View Post

Their support worker says there is a high change they ill qualify for the support group. (with the avoidance of a called in interview)

min - max weeks/months range ?

If you got in the support group, how long did your decision take to get made ?
My first ESA claim was made in September 2009, had a medical in Jan 2010, was advised in Feb 2010 that I failed, on reconsideration I was put in the Support Group in May 2010 for the next 3 years. My first ESA payment was received in February 2010, 20 weeks after I made the claim.

Review ESA50 sent back 2 weeks ago (3 years being up) and I fully expect another face to face assessment and a complete failure. Then I will appeal and submit my evidence which hopefully should see me back in the Support Group by June 2013 when I would receive my backpay.

I would mention that I receive DLA (HRM & MRC) + the DWP have already assessed me as being 40% disabled due to mental illness alone. All of the other conditions/illnesses were not considered.

I too have a Social Worker amongst the many other professionals that look after me.

Good luck!!

Last edited by satarical; 25-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
# 3
rogerblack
Old 25-01-2013, 1:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmaking View Post
The support group and the WRAG group will take the same amount of time.
It can vary - it's going to be at least several weeks.
People can get lost in the system, and it can take a considerable time.
If they've not got a decision in 3 months, contact ESA and check.
She will continue to be paid IS at the current rate until the ESA decision is made.
If the ESA decision results in her getting less money, she will get the old IS amount, but this will not increase with time.
Eventually, ESA payments will catch up with this amount, and the transitional protection stops.
# 4
kazzah60
Old 25-01-2013, 11:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just been through this process
I had to return my form by NOvember 30th
24th December I had a phone call asking me to go for a medical on 11th January - which I attended
24th January received notification of being placed in Support group

so in all, from 1st receipt of form until decision notified 12 weeks

hth
# 5
satarical
Old 26-01-2013, 12:42 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzah60 View Post
I have just been through this process
I had to return my form by NOvember 30th
24th December I had a phone call asking me to go for a medical on 11th January - which I attended
24th January received notification of being placed in Support group

so in all, from 1st receipt of form until decision notified 12 weeks

hth
Could I ask, did you send any evidence in with the ESA50/take any with you to the assessment and/or did you indicate on the ESA50 either which medical professional to contact or did you give the name and address of your GP?

It might have a bearing as to why your case was quickly disposed of.

This time round I have given them absolutely no evidence whatsoever(because I believe that it is never read or used by ATOS or the DWP), they don't have the name or address of any of my consultants or even my GP (simply because they never bother to contact them when you do give it).

By the way I was placed in the Support Group 3 years ago - expect now to fail on the same conditions/illnesses + another two new ones in the past 2 years that they don't know about and a load of more complications that they don't know about either (but hey they don't bother reading the blurb I could send them so why bother).
# 6
Parva
Old 27-01-2013, 1:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by satarical View Post
(but hey they don't bother reading the blurb I could send them so why bother).
That's like suggesting that a policeman issued with a bulletproof vest who had never been shot at deciding not to bother wearing it. Your funeral.....
# 7
Pippin12
Old 27-01-2013, 8:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Could I ask, did you send any evidence in with the ESA50/take any with you to the assessment and/or did you indicate on the ESA50 either which medical professional to contact or did you give the name and address of your GP?

This time round I have given them absolutely no evidence whatsoever(because I believe that it is never read or used by ATOS or the DWP), they don't have the name or address of any of my consultants or even my GP (simply because they never bother to contact them when you do give it).

By the way I was placed in the Support Group 3 years ago - expect now to fail on the same conditions/illnesses + another two new ones in the past 2 years that they don't know about and a load of more complications that they don't know about either (but hey they don't bother reading the blurb I could send them so why bother).
In my view this is a big mistake. I sent in six letters with my ESA50 - one each from my consultant, CPN, Occupational therapist, GP and two friends and Atos dealt with my case with out the need for a face to face assessment. I passed and was put into the support group. In the ESA85A Atos state that they used my letters as evidence in coming to their decision.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pippin12 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
in my bumble opinion
Old 27-01-2013, 9:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I helped a friend through this. His form was handed in at the start of December, he got notification of being placed in the income-related group approx 6 weeks later (no medical).
# 9
sizzler1893
Old 27-01-2013, 12:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I too sent in plenty of evidence. Claim dealt with within about 8 weeks after I'd returned the ESA50. Support Group, no medical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sizzler1893 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
basicallymum123
Old 27-01-2013, 2:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

my daughters 12 month renewal went in on 15th november, still not heard anything yet. guess it depends what area you are in.

gracex
# 11
HB58
Old 27-01-2013, 7:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

• Claim made in advance to start in October 2011.
  • ESA50 form received soon after, returned with copies of letters from GP and consultant.
  • Face-to-face assessment April 2012.
  • WRAG decision received a couple of weeks later.
  • Appealed for Support Group, included statements from husband and friends, May 202
  • Reconsideration October 2012, placed in Support Group.
# 12
kazzah60
Old 27-01-2013, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

no I didn't have any supporting evidence as I do not see any consultant about my condition - I did give my GP's details and also mentioned a course of physiotherapy I had for it in 2010

I had a lovely nurse who was very professional and listened carefully to my answers - I must admit I was delighted when I got the decision because I was sure after reading all the horror stories that I would be turned down.

It doesn't mention a time scale in my letter from DWP - so for the MOMENT I will just relax and enjoy a worry free period !

good luck with your medical/assessment
# 13
robo989
Old 30-01-2013, 6:03 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Mine took.....about 8 months!!!!

(strangely received the "accepted" letter about 4 days after an investigation into my finances by the DWP was given the all clear..."investigation" that took 10 minutes in my home)

....charming.
# 14
Pippin12
Old 01-02-2013, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin12 View Post
In my view this is a big mistake. I sent in six letters with my ESA50 - one each from my consultant, CPN, Occupational therapist, GP and two friends and Atos dealt with my case with out the need for a face to face assessment. I passed and was put into the support group. In the ESA85A Atos state that they used my letters as evidence in coming to their decision.
I should add that the closing date for my ESA50 to be handed in as 21st December 2012 and I received official word from the DWP that I'd been placed in the support group this last week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pippin12 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Parva
Old 01-02-2013, 5:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I sent my ESA form in on 28/12/12 (didn't actually have to be in until mid-January) and have just today got the letter informing me I've been put into the support group.
# 16
Bootsalebargains
Old 01-02-2013, 8:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We sent my husbands forms in middle of November, they received it on 21st November, phoned them last week and no decision has been made yet
september wins - toshiba laptop, timotei shampoo & conditioner, mccains games, pimms picnic blanket.
october wins - grants tumblers, 20 petrol voucher, sega console, iphone
novembers wins - 50 on walkers rainy day, 50 itunes voucher
march wins - dog treats
# 17
satarical
Old 01-02-2013, 9:19 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin12 View Post
But can't you see that by doing all of that you are helping ATOS to claim that they are getting things right? You are playing right into their hands.

Surely it is much better to let ATOS get it all wrong (as they invariably do) then you have an argument and case against them citing a poor assessment and the DWP, a poor decision?
# 18
satarical
Old 01-02-2013, 9:24 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parva View Post
I sent my ESA form in on 28/12/12 (didn't actually have to be in until mid-January) and have just today got the letter informing me I've been put into the support group.
Mine went in the post on the day before it had to be there - 30th December - heard nothing - hoping for a face to face assessment so that they get it all wrong - again!
# 19
satarical
Old 01-02-2013, 9:27 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzah60 View Post

I had a lovely nurse who was very professional and listened carefully to my answers
Then you were very lucky - mine described me in a report to the DWP as "arrogant, awkward and obstructive".

As soon as I met the assessor it was 'daggers drawn' - let the best man win!!!
# 20
kazzah60
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
But can't you see that by doing all of that you are helping ATOS to claim that they are getting things right? You are playing right into their hands.

Surely it is much better to let ATOS get it all wrong (as they invariably do) then you have an argument and case against them citing a poor assessment and the DWP, a poor decision?
Ok it's late at night and I am probably missing something vital - but how is it better to submit no evidence, have a meeting , get turned down and have to appeal, rather than sending in the evidence and getting the correct outcome straight away?

surely for the poster- their outcome was ideal for them?
The Following User Says Thank You to kazzah60 For This Useful Post: Show me >>