Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Santander 123 account interest payments. (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Santander 123 account interest payments.
Views: 2,522
# 21
richardmk
Old 26-01-2013, 12:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If at any time the balance was below the £3000 threshold, interest would accrue at the the 0% on days below £1000, 1% on days below £2000, and 2% on days below £2000.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
SnowTiger
Old 26-01-2013, 1:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovate View Post
Santander (and other banks) calculate interest on a daily basis. See their T&Cs.
Nice bit of trimming there. Nice. Very nice.

I expected that response from you, as a long-time Santander defender. I was, therefore, careful with my wording.

I wrote:

Quote:
The Average balance for the month figures Santander give on my first 123 statement and previous Preferred Account statements don't appear to be what I would expect: the total of the balance at the end of each day divided by the number of days during the statement period.

So, I'd guess Santander uses some other way to calculate it.
Note that I was clearly referring to the Average balance for the month figure.

As I said, nice try.
# 23
rb10
Old 28-01-2013, 8:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardew View Post
Thoughts?
Impossible to comment further with the information given. I don't personally fully believe their 'average' figure, so would prefer to calculate the interest from scratch.

Happy to help further if you post (or send me a PM with) your daily closing balances (as per your statement), along with details of any cheques paid in during the period.
# 24
Cardew
Old 09-02-2013, 9:44 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Well I finally got some answers from Santander. They wanted £10 to give a complete breakdown - but waived the sum after a little persuasion.

Firstly the monthly average balance is meaningless - so why include it?

The breakdown I got covered every day in the month and they take the daily closing balance and multiply by 2.96%(if over £3k and to a max of £20k) and divide by 365(366 days in a leap year) to get the daily interest accrued.

Interestingly they have two columns, one showing gross interest and the other with the 20% tax deducted. However you are credited with the gross amount. Could be close to £600pa

So that means, like most of us, I will have to get my accountant to declare the gross interest on my Tax return and have 50% deducted - thank goodness it will drop to a 45% deduction in April
# 25
innovate
Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 PM
PPR

Quote:
However you are credited with the gross amount.
Are you registered to receive gross interest?

Quote:
You may be able to register with us to receive interest gross. Otherwise interest will be paid net of income tax at the prescribed rate. Where you are a higher rate or additional rate tax payer, you may be liable to pay additional tax on any interest we pay to you.
Other taxes or costs may exist that are not paid via us or imposed by us. It is your responsibility to ensure that this tax is paid.
Source: clause 20 of the Santander general T&Cs
The Following User Says Thank You to innovate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
Cardew
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Are you registered to receive gross interest?

Source: clause 20 of the Santander general T&Cs
No!

Indeed Tax has been deducted from all the Esaver accounts I have had with Santander. e.g. on closing my last account

26/11/2012 INTEREST PAID AFTER TAX 125.71 DEDUCTED

The two previous current accounts(before changing to the 123 account) were the Santander Account and the Zero Account and both used to pay a very low interest rate on credit balances. Looking at old statements, both of these used to pay the interest Gross each month. For example:

Interest paid after tax 0.00 deducted - £1.06

Incidentally my wife and daughter both have Santander current accounts and Esavers and those accounts are the same as mine - 20% tax deducted on Esaver and current account interest paid gross.

I also have current accounts with other banks/BS and I am pretty certain that interest is also paid gross; albeit small amounts as they are only used as a conduit to saving accounts.

Be interesting to see if others get interest on 123 account paid Gross.

Last edited by Cardew; 09-02-2013 at 11:06 PM.
# 27
innovate
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 PM
PPR

I have a 123, and I always had my interest paid after tax (statement says "Interest paid after xx.xx tax deducted").

Similar on my Halifax, Lloyds and BoS current accounts - basic rate tax is always withheld from the interest (or 'reward') paid.
# 28
fiesta04
Old 10-02-2013, 1:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Same here

F4
The Following User Says Thank You to fiesta04 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Wyndham
Old 10-02-2013, 7:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mine is paid nett too. Cashback doesn't have tax deducted, but I understand that it is not taxable income?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyndham For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Cardew
Old 10-02-2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
I have a 123, and I always had my interest paid after tax (statement says "Interest paid after xx.xx tax deducted").

Similar on my Halifax, Lloyds and BoS current accounts - basic rate tax is always withheld from the interest (or 'reward') paid.
How strange.

I have only had two statements. Both state 'interest paid after Tax 0.00 deducted'

The daily breakdown I have received for the two months has 3 columns showing - Gross Interest - Tax - Net interest - and each payment credited has been the Gross Interest.

My accounts(including current account) were transferred to Santanter from Alliance and Leicester - I wonder if that makes any difference to the codes on the computer?? Although I was never registered to receive gross interest with A & L, indeed as a higher rate tax payer I faithfully declared all interest with the standard rate deducted on my tax return.
# 31
innovate
Old 10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
PPR

Could have something to do with your account having its roots in A&L. Wasn't there some huge issue with the transfers of these accounts?

My 123 is a 'virgin' Santander account, opened around this time last year.
# 32
notbritishgas
Old 10-02-2013, 4:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
How strange.

I have only had two statements. Both state 'interest paid after Tax 0.00 deducted'

The daily breakdown I have received for the two months has 3 columns showing - Gross Interest - Tax - Net interest - and each payment credited has been the Gross Interest.

My accounts(including current account) were transferred to Santanter from Alliance and Leicester - I wonder if that makes any difference to the codes on the computer?? Although I was never registered to receive gross interest with A & L, indeed as a higher rate tax payer I faithfully declared all interest with the standard rate deducted on my tax return.
My account was formerly A&L, converted to Santander Premier Direct Travel, and recently converted again to 123.
I have just received my first Cashback and interest, my interest is shown as

INTEREST PAID AFTER TAX 0.82 DEDUCTED

Yours sounds as if interest has been paid gross.
The Following User Says Thank You to notbritishgas For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Cardew
Old 10-02-2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbritishgas View Post
My account was formerly A&L, converted to Santander Premier Direct Travel, and recently converted again to 123.
I have just received my first Cashback and interest, my interest is shown as

INTEREST PAID AFTER TAX 0.82 DEDUCTED

Yours sounds as if interest has been paid gross.
Yes without doubt I have been paid gross on the 123 account; and I cannot understand why that would happen. I have never registered to receive gross interest on a bank account - ever.

It is especially surprising because since I opened the 123 account, I closed a Santander on-line saver account (it had reached the end of 12 month bonus period) and the interest was paid Nett i.e. "26/11/2012 INTEREST PAID AFTER TAX 125.71 DEDUCTED"

Not that it is a problem, I will sort it out at end of Tax Year.
# 34
rb10
Old 10-02-2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
It's simpler to sort it out now - Santander may be able to deduct the tax right away. If you wait until April you'll have to send a form to HMRC and wait for them to send a refund.
# 35
Cardew
Old 10-02-2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb10 View Post
It's simpler to sort it out now - Santander may be able to deduct the tax right away. If you wait until April you'll have to send a form to HMRC and wait for them to send a refund.
A refund??

I will owe HMRC the tax!
# 36
rb10
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
A refund??

I will owe HMRC the tax!
Of course ... sorry.

It's still simpler to get Santander to sort it now (by just amending your account).

If you wait until April, then HMRC will amend your tax code (possibly for the rest of 2013/14, otherwise it may be for 2014/15.
# 37
notbritishgas
Old 11-02-2013, 8:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Yes without doubt I have been paid gross on the 123 account; and I cannot understand why that would happen. I have never registered to receive gross interest on a bank account - ever.

It is especially surprising because since I opened the 123 account, I closed a Santander on-line saver account (it had reached the end of 12 month bonus period) and the interest was paid Nett i.e. "26/11/2012 INTEREST PAID AFTER TAX 125.71 DEDUCTED"

When I converted my account to the 123 I did it in branch and as it is a joint account with my wife who is a non tax payer i wanted them to confirm the R85 authority was transferred over. They looked on screen and pointed out the box with a tick in that confirmed it.

If you have a Santander nearby perhaps a visit will clear it up.