Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • pjsmiffy
    • By pjsmiffy 17th Jul 13, 10:57 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    pjsmiffy
    Hi Just got off the phone from Halifax re informing them that I would be going away with my Halifax Clarity card (Keeps them from blocking the account from fraud)
    The gent in the call center said that although the rule if strictly applied ban me from keeping a cash (Credit) balance on the card they would not stop me putting a few hundred on the card to be drawn out in Euros when I land. This would avoid the 13% a year interest (although it works out at about only £1/£100 on the card for a month)
    • pjsmiffy
    • By pjsmiffy 17th Jul 13, 11:07 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    pjsmiffy
    A good Idea.
    I recommend scanning your passports and emailing scans to yourself so they can be accessed anywhere in the world if you lose the originals.

You can also easily convert the scans to pdfs which can be stored on your Kindle. This can be done with any travel documents (car hire, hotel confirmations etc)
    Originally posted by Backbiter
    Little sister did this saved a load of hassle when she lost her paperwork.
    She has a colour copy of her passport shrunk to Credit card size and laminated that has got her into the British consulate in some South american country or other when she had her paperwork stolen.

She has now had a bag stolen in France with Her and her partners passports in it and the dog's travel papers.

Dropbox may be an easier way to do this.
    • Ashagill
    • By Ashagill 26th Feb 14, 12:04 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Ashagill
    Hallo,
    This may be very silly, but my Mum, when traveling half board or Breakfast only, she would often take a little extra at the usually huge breakfast buffet provided in most hotels, wrap a little in a napkin, and eat it as her lunch if she was off sightseeing for the day.
    Works well when they offer bread and cheese etc, she'll make herself a sandwich.
    So if you're not fussed about lunch one day, then I'd recommend doing this.

Also when staying in hotels, I always pack snacks for the trip. and keep them in the room for when you want a little pick me up. This is because one night I was travelling, and had dinner around 6 or 7PM, well, our flight was delayed and we arrived around 3AM, tried, and VERY hungry, but kitchens weren't around and hotel staff weren't around, so always carry a big bag of crisps or something!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
    • skogar
    • By skogar 25th Apr 14, 12:40 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    skogar
    Just after you go through security at Manchester Airport there is a water fountain. It has a tap bit you can fill a bottle from. Take an empty bottle and fill up ready for the flight.
    • John259
    • By John259 25th Apr 14, 1:35 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    John259
    Here's some suggestions for helpful resources when planning a road trip style holiday, not necessarily in the USA or Canada but anywhere:

The online map systems (Google Maps or whichever similar system you prefer) not only allow you to see where places are, they also allow you to search for accommodation, restaurants, shops, museums, etc. You can also plot your route, check your daily mileages, and easily drag points on the route to adjust it. In addition with at least one of these systems you can see photos taken along roads (in some countries), and you can prepare for the potentially stressful initial run after first picking up the car by doing a virtual "drive".

Wikipedia is a wonderful resource for obtaining information about places and attractions (and in many cases the articles include photos). Because everything on Wikipedia has to be backed up by references, and because the system has so many people constantly checking it, you can be confident that the information is both accurate and up-to-date. In many cases the articles include links to web sites that provide more information.

YouTube has numerous videos recorded during road trips in various countries. Most of these are poor quality both technically and artistically, but if you're prepared to spend some time searching then there also a few real gems that are both informative and entertaining. There are also some promotional videos for towns, cities and individual tourist attractions.

In the USA and Canada the respective countries' national park service web sites provide a wealth of information. The US National Park Service web site also covers the national monuments, national historic sites and national parkways, but a separate federal organisation is responsible for the national forests. In addition each US state and Canadian province has a separate web site for its own parks.
    Last edited by John259; 25-04-2014 at 1:38 PM.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 25th Apr 14, 3:33 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 37,712 Thanks
    Katiehound
    It's very handy to have small dollar bills to give as tips or to buy local artefacts from street vendors in very many parts of the world- think S.America & parts of Africa. £1 or £2 coins aren't as acceptable because the smallest paper european paper money is £5 or E5. (Oh and dollars are often more desirable!!)
    When I purchased my dollars at Tesco a few years ago they were happy to give me $50 of the total in small bills.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • malc_b
    • By malc_b 1st Aug 14, 5:29 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    malc_b
    Tip 44 of 50+ Overseas Travel Tips
    I see that in 50+ Overseas Travel Tips Martin has fallen for the old chestnut of TVs take loads of power in standby. New TVs do NOT. The EU brought in a rule years ago that TVs had to draw less than 1W in standby. If you still have an old CRT TV then this might be true but any flat screen TV it isn't true.

And to put that into context 1W would be 1 unit, say 15p, in 1000 hrs, which is roughly 1 month. Not really a significant saving is it.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 2nd Jul 15, 2:15 AM
    • 17,984 Posts
    • 22,266 Thanks
    Poppy9
    Take a 4 gang extension lead with you. Then you only need one socket adaptor to charge multiple phones/consoles etc
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • The Miser
    • By The Miser 13th Jul 16, 10:29 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    The Miser
    When you arrive to collect your car some companies (including one of the largest) want to block funds on your account against damage, loss etc. Fine, EXCEPT they refuse to accept debit cards unless you buy extra insurance on top of the excess insurance. The cost is prohibitive.
    • The Miser
    • By The Miser 13th Jul 16, 10:34 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    The Miser
    Hi Just got off the phone from Halifax re informing them that I would be going away with my Halifax Clarity card (Keeps them from blocking the account from fraud)
    Originally posted by pjsmiffy
    I tried this with my high street bank and they informed me that they would only keep the notice for 30 minutes and if I didn't draw in that time they would put the debit through their normal anti-fraud precautions with no note of my warning.
    • Eating granni
    • By Eating granni 3rd Aug 16, 9:03 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Eating granni
    Keeping money in your account when booking flights
    We have family in the USA so look out for sales especially on British Airways where we have loyalty points.
    We book ahead when we see a good deal and always need a night in LA before the 4 hour drive.
    We've always done this booking the flight, car hire and hotel separately, and have to pay the full costs up front.
    However if you book just one night in a hotel, and/or car hire with BA you only have to pay 10% on booking and the rest 6 weeks before. Often the hotel or car hire is cheaper too, but we check that out before making the booking
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 3rd Aug 16, 8:11 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Dunno how this antique thread has suddenly lurched back into life...?

But to play nice...

Agree that BA suddenly get cheaper if you are flexible on dates and book car rental (hire fro us Brits) with them. And you get decent, new AVIS cars not rip-off Goldcar rubbish and hassle.

If starting from the south of England, book a Brittany Ferries 'holiday' (ferry plus accommodation) which is often cheaper than ferry only; and even cheaper during their early booking '20-25% off' window in midwinter which they never publicise!

Or just go to less touristic areas of Spain- resorts in Cantabria and Asturias are massively cheaper than any other Western European destinations; meals at 11 Euros including wine are half or a quarter or a fifth of the cost of ritzier places in Italy and France...

Sorry- that's only three...?
    • WeeKristy
    • By WeeKristy 17th Aug 16, 9:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    WeeKristy
    I saved ££ by refusing the airport transfers when booking my Thomas Cook holiday to Salou. The charge was £81 for our family of 3 but I prebooked a return taxi for just €66.33. The driver was wziting for me at the airport with a sign with my name on it. He took all our luggage and loaded it while we relaxed. We went directly to our hotel without having to to wait to go to all the other stops. On the way home it waseven better because we left 30 mins after the bus transfer people and got to the airport long before them. We got the best price from suntransfers.com but there are others available too and vsried levels of service within each site.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 17th Aug 16, 9:16 PM
    • 17,984 Posts
    • 22,266 Thanks
    Poppy9
    I saved ££ by refusing the airport transfers when booking my Thomas Cook holiday to Salou. The charge was £81 for our family of 3 but I prebooked a return taxi for just €66.33. The driver was wziting for me at the airport with a sign with my name on it. He took all our luggage and loaded it while we relaxed. We went directly to our hotel without having to to wait to go to all the other stops. On the way home it waseven better because we left 30 mins after the bus transfer people and got to the airport long before them. We got the best price from suntransfers.com but there are others available too and vsried levels of service within each site.
    Originally posted by WeeKristy
    I've had a bad experience with booking a taxi return for airport. When we were collected from airport the taxi driver turned up late in a dirty beaten up Fiat Van/car. He apologised and said it wasn't his normal vehicle which was in for repair. A week later when we were going back to the airport, he came in same vehicle. We were told by others that it was his only vehicle and he was lying when he said his people carrier was in for repair. As we had prepaid when booking the taxi we were stuck with using it.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • John456
    • By John456 10th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John456
    Ref Tip9 about the free water, as well as taking empty water bottles through security, they also never minded empty vacuum flasks - so I'd take one (the little ones you can drink straight out of), get the biggest coffee from Costas etc (costs little more than a medium or small), fill the flask and drink the rest. Then at least I'd have a decent coffee on the flight!
    • TONYWORCS
    • By TONYWORCS 19th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TONYWORCS
    Free SatNav
    Navmii is free to download and use. If you download the maps for the country you are visiting it works offline. Brilliant.
    • TONYWORCS
    • By TONYWORCS 19th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TONYWORCS
    Four Gang Extension
    If you know what you are doing, and travel to one country regularly, you can buy a plug for that country in a supermarket and fit it to a UK 4 gang extension. It saves having to use an adaptor at all. Beware of the correct polarity and earth connections and do not even try it if you are unsure.
    Some of the Eurocamp chalets now have dual sockets with a UK 13 amp socket and continental on the same plate.
    • anita116
    • By anita116 22nd Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    anita116
    Extension lead bonus
    Taking an extension lead means you can charge more than one item at a time with only one adapter. A big plus too is that you can still have your phone (aka alarm clock etc etc) beside the bed rather than the other side of the room.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 22nd Jul 17, 5:41 PM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    zagfles
    Taking an extension lead means you can charge more than one item at a time with only one adapter. A big plus too is that you can still have your phone (aka alarm clock etc etc) beside the bed rather than the other side of the room.
    Originally posted by anita116
    As long as you don't overload it. Adapters often have a low rating eg 7.5 amps. Chargers should be fine but I wouldn't put more than one high power device through it eg hairdrier, travel kettle etc.
    • doralei
    • By doralei 30th Aug 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doralei
    Good way to avoid having tea made using the airplane's water supply (which some sites claim is not clean).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,717Users online

Martin's Twitter