Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Ketone Premium/Cleanse premium (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ketone Premium/Cleanse premium
Views: 44,355
# 1
maccaman
Old 23-01-2013, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Ketone Premium/Cleanse premium

I have just been scammed by the company selling these weight loss products. They offer a free trial with reduced postage but its nothing of the sort, its a means of getting you onto a recuring commitement every month for at least 75. Contacted my credit card company and they confirmed immediatly they are aware of the scam and will try to get my money back. Wondering if Martin could give it some bad publicity on here or when hes on a TV program. It may save a lot of silly people like me who are desperate to lose some weight, losing a lot of money. They were previously called Slimtone Plus but keep changing their name to con more people.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maccaman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Jenniec
Old 26-01-2013, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Do not use this company. You will not receive any auto emails from them and the telephone number quoted is an automated service. There is no return address. You can contact your bank and raise a chargeback (dispute/ cancel any future payments)
I did this within 14 days so have only paid the 2.49 per product trial delivery charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenniec For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
DanE2010
Old 26-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

my sister has been stung by this company, took 100 out of her bank without her knowing, she rang the bank and they said they couldnt do anything about it as they had her card number etc so it wasnt a direct debit?

She ended up saying she lost her card in order to stop any future payments being taken as the bank (santander) were useless and wouldnt do anything to stop it happening again.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanE2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
tanya roberts
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have also been scammed. No where do they say when we signed up that we have to pay for it. Anyway I've got a reply from the 3 emails I sent to them. I've sent it back by airsure which cost me 13.19 where they have a tracking number and the items are insured up to 500. I am sure that you can get it slightly cheaper but I put the items in 2 bubbles envelopes and lots of tape just to make sure. The address I sent it to is P O Box 113, Shannon, Co Clare, Ireland. The email they sent me also have RMA numbers which you have to put in the front of the envelope. I've notified the credit card company and they mentioned that they have heard of it and assured me that they will not put any more payments through.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to tanya roberts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BubblesGem
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I too fell for this scam. I received the trial pills an cancelled the order via ketone within 14 days. I was asked to send the pills back by the 21st jan which I did. Then 37.50 went out of my account. I emailed them to which I got back we haven't received them on our database yet but if u provide proof of postage it will help with refining when we get them. Few days later the 75.00 goes out.
I've only noticed the other payment yesterday so when I rang the bank I was told the team I need to speak to aren't in until Monday. Obviously I will e cancelling my card. An they shouldn't have taken the money after the account was cancelled. But is there any other advice that people can give me?
The Following User Says Thank You to BubblesGem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jbean2567
Old 05-02-2013, 9:30 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cant believe I too fell for this! nowhere did I see these costs, they were well hidden, have tried to call and its is automated so have emailed to get a returns number. I stupidly used my current account and have checked it but so far they have just taken the delivery costs of the products which is ok.
I am just in touch with my bank now to warn them that I think they will possibly return for more money - will let you know what happens......
# 7
jbean2567
Old 05-02-2013, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

.....what a nightmare in trying to get through to the disputes dept for the Halifax, after going to another country and the woman robotic voice being impossible, she got angry with my frustration and dumped me back in the queue so I hung up and reported my card as lost....didn't know what else to do as another site said it took their bank 15 days to action and they lost a further 137.....yikes! I got the product 6 days ago but only looked today, hopefully I will get the returns number, return the product and will never be so stupid again!
# 8
BubblesGem
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Surprising how the banks are reacting differently. I rang my bank yesterday an they said they'd refund the payments by 6 an put a stop on them taking more, money was back in my account last night.
The Following User Says Thank You to BubblesGem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
jbean2567
Old 05-02-2013, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation

...after seeing elsewhere that just cancelling your card does not stop them getting more money from your bank account I contacted Halifax and got through to the Disputes dept, they advised me that they will put a stop on them and if any money is taken they will refund me as from 10.15 this morning! bit happier but still cross with myself for such an obvious scam if i had been thinking a bit more
# 10
momoyama
Old 06-02-2013, 1:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've just discovered that my wife had been scammed by this company on our joint account debit card and my credit card. I've called both bank numbers. Credit card is essentially sorted but could take up to 6 weeks to recoup my money. Debit card is probably lost money. On the flyer that comes with the products it tells you that by requesting the "free" sample you are signing up to the monthly payments. BUT this wasn't known to my wife in advance. She just followed an advert in the Daily Mail. I wonder therefore if the company aren't in breech of trading standards or something. In regards sending back the product for a refund, as she's had no e-mails or any other information she's wondering if she's outside the 14 days.
# 11
MissPhil
Old 19-02-2013, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Has anyone had any problems once reporting their card lost? I am going to do this today and assume as the card number will now be different that they can’t take any further money?
I’m getting frustrated with my bank as they can’t put any stops on them taking money and they can’t dispute it unless they take any further money.
Will it be an end to it if I cancel the card? Thank you.
# 12
EMMAP
Old 19-02-2013, 6:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I reported mine lost/compromised as soon as I discovered Ketone was dodgy. Waiting for my new card now. Will know by next week if changing card details works. It should. Lots of people saying it won't help but I've yet to read anything that says someone cancelled a card and still had money debited.
2014 aims : 7.04/50 APG wombles and 98/1000 CC points
SPC 317 Target 100

'Kisses are a better fate than wisdom'
'If you want something done right, do it yourself'
# 13
Mooloo
Old 21-02-2013, 1:45 PM

have just been at my friends and found that she has also been stung by this .
I suggest that you all put your complaints to the local Trading Standards, as they will compile a case against this company.
I would also suggest that someone on here may be able to give some CAB advise.
Don't give up and keep on arguing your case.
I hope one of the supervisors on here will flag this up and help
Good luck. Mooloo
Making thermal cooking bags, too help others save fuel costs, and produce fabulous meals for pennies! I love my sewing, and it has helped me to make new friends and feel useful!
# 14
JasonHand
Old 21-02-2013, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

People, the banks who are telling you they can't do anything about this are misinformed.

If you look on the financial obudsman website and search recurring payments they can cancel the payment.

So if you have asked your bank to do this and they have continued taking money out then your bank has to refund the amount. If they don't complain to the financial obudsman. They should be able to sort it. Its irellevant if its a debit card or credit card.

Also if you want to complain about them you need to go to the Advertising Standards Agency. They have already dealt with these people who operated under a different guise. For example the ASA said they could auto tick the T&Cs box which they are still doing.

So complain there and hopefully these people can be stopped.

Another thing which I'm still trying to find out is how all this stands with the distance selling regulations.

As far as I'm aware the seller needs to give a physical address of their premises. A PO box (what these people use) is not good enough. From my understanding any monies spent (including postage) is refundable.

Not sure what others make of that
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonHand For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
momoyama
Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHand View Post
People, the banks who are telling you they can't do anything about this are misinformed.
True

Quote:
If you look on the financial obudsman website and search recurring payments they can cancel the payment.
I suspect that this is officially true, but it's not what my bank have told me. When the money first went out and I reported it the bank told me that they would block any future payments. And then last week another payment went, not even a fortnight after the first two. Another one would have gone, too, if I'd had sufficient funds. My wife has never heard me so determined on the telephone. I'd worked an early shift in one hospital and a late shift in another so when I discovered this on getting home at around 22:45 I wasn't amused. The bank operator said they couldn't help me. So I demanded to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor couldn't help me so I demanded that they bring in someone that could, from home if need be. I cited that I've gone into work for emergencies at 03:00. That's life. It got me nowhere. Ringing back in office hours means I've got total refund plus compensation (of 15!) However that can't guarantee blocking future payments. If payments are taken then I should ring for a refund. This being the same bank that said they'd had thousands of calls about this company scamming its customers. So I've cancelled my cards and ordered new ones. Except that apparently the company can still request payment from my account!

Quote:
So if you have asked your bank to do this and they have continued taking money out then your bank has to refund the amount. If they don't complain to the financial obudsman.
I can't see the bank going to the ombudsman, someone. I might.

Quote:
It's irellevant if its a debit card or credit card.
I'm not sure that's true, although things are changing. With a credit card, it's the credit card company that buy the product and you have a debt to them. With a debit card, you buy the product. In the former they have an obligation to you, in the latter they don't.

Quote:
As far as I'm aware the seller needs to give a physical address of their premises. A PO box (what these people use) is not good enough.
I have no idea of the truth of that, but it makes sense. The bank asked us to make contact with the company to cancel the subscription (that we hadn't willingly taken.) Try contacting them. The telephone number doesn't work. The e-mail address doesn't work. The physical address and cancellation e-mail link have disappeared from the web site.
# 16
ellie8
Old 02-03-2013, 4:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Do not buy this 'product'

Decided to purchase the free trials, even checked out the paper who had reviewed the product. Paid the postage, received the item only to read on the leaflet about the terms and condition. Sent it straight back - cost me 15 for both packets as Ireland is classed as the EU. After reading reviews online phoned my credit card company who said they are well aware of this company. They have stopped any other payments from going out.

MY ADVICE if you have ordered these is to phone your bank/credit card company asap and tell the fraud department. My credit card company said even if you cancel your card they can still take payments :-(

I cannot believe that on a whim I was so stupid to order these products though from reading I understand alot of people have been caught out. I hope everyone manages to sort out their cards - good luck :-)
# 17
arcarc
Old 02-03-2013, 7:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Ketone Premium

I too have been caught out by a 'free trial'. The returns is a saga.... no one answers the phone, their automated email responses take 2 - 3 days to get back to you. I cancelled within 7 days of receipt of goods. They said I had to send a copy of the returns receipt from the post office to avoid being charged. I do not believe that their trading practises meet the Distance Selling Regulations. Their returns address is only a PO Box and is in Co Clare, Eire so no ideal who you are actually dealing with. Their info online and the leaflet they send with the order does not contain a returns address. It's only when you complete the cancellation request on line that they send you the address.

Please do not be tempted to fall for their offers, they are a scam company in my opinion and should be investigated.
# 18
EMMAP
Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Just so everyone knows- I cancelled my debit card and no money was taken. I also reported the name of the company to my bank.
2014 aims : 7.04/50 APG wombles and 98/1000 CC points
SPC 317 Target 100

'Kisses are a better fate than wisdom'
'If you want something done right, do it yourself'
# 19
Lilyglc
Old 06-03-2013, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just placed an order and then found this thread! I got onto my bank (HSBC) and they have cancelled my debit card. What banks has anyone else cancelled with and did it prevent them taking money from you ??
# 20
momoyama
Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyglc View Post
What banks has anyone else cancelled with and did it prevent them taking money from you ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by momyama
I've cancelled my cards and ordered new ones... apparently the company can still request payment from my account!
If money gets taken then I have to contact the bank who will organise a refund. I'm not impressed. Even with having no contract it seems the company can still take whatever money they want. I consider myself savvy to scams and problems with internet security but I find this frankly frightening.