Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Financial help for New Boiler??? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Financial help for New Boiler???
Views: 1,491
# 1
znbmum
Old 23-01-2013, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Financial help for New Boiler???

Hi
Not sure if I am posting this in right place or if anyone can help but I have a problem. We bought this house 4 years ago not knowing ithat the heating didn't work. We were 1st time buyers that were duped by a estate agent.

We managed to get by this long because the boiler still heated the water and the gas fire in the lounge worked. So for the last 4 winters we have used the gas fire to heat downstairs and all slept in one bed with an electric heater. But now we have had a 2nd baby this is impossible. Me & my baby (I'm still on maternity leave) are confided to our lounge all day as its the only room I can adequately heat. And at night I share the double bed with my baby to keep him warm while my husband has to share a single bed with our 5 yr old to keep him warm. Yesterday the gas boiler has broken and stopped heating the water. So all I have is the gas fire in lounge and a power shower for hot water. It's all got too much now.

No one will give us a loan to put in new system as its old back boiler and canyon be repaired & radiatoRSVP have never worked and need replacing too. I've been quoted a min of 3000.

So no one will give us a loan and we are desperate. My husband has a ok job and I'm on maternity pay but we have no savings& can't afford a high interest loan.

Is there any help for us in a situation like this? Im not asking for a handout by any means just wandering if anyone knows of a government or charity scheme that we can pay back a loan for it or something like that.

Anyone have information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Wywth
Old 23-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znbmum View Post
Hi
Not sure if I am posting this in right place or if anyone can help but I have a problem. We bought this house 4 years ago not knowing ithat the heating didn't work. We were 1st time buyers that were duped by a estate agent.

We managed to get by this long because the boiler still heated the water and the gas fire in the lounge worked. So for the last 4 winters we have used the gas fire to heat downstairs and all slept in one bed with an electric heater. But now we have had a 2nd baby this is impossible. Me & my baby (I'm still on maternity leave) are confided to our lounge all day as its the only room I can adequately heat. And at night I share the double bed with my baby to keep him warm while my husband has to share a single bed with our 5 yr old to keep him warm. Yesterday the gas boiler has broken and stopped heating the water. So all I have is the gas fire in lounge and a power shower for hot water. It's all got too much now.

No one will give us a loan to put in new system as its old back boiler and canyon be repaired & radiatoRSVP have never worked and need replacing too. I've been quoted a min of 3000.

So no one will give us a loan and we are desperate. My husband has a ok job and I'm on maternity pay but we have no savings& can't afford a high interest loan.

Is there any help for us in a situation like this? Im not asking for a handout by any means just wandering if anyone knows of a government or charity scheme that we can pay back a loan for it or something like that.

Anyone have information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sell up and rent.

You may not like Landlords, but at least they have the worry of fixing the heating etc when it goes wrong.
# 3
znbmum
Old 23-01-2013, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

We have considered this but bought our house just before the market nosedive so we are pretty much in negative equity... also we have looked at renting prices & our mortgage is at least 150 cheaper a month for a simular property.
Thanks though
# 4
Lucy Lastic
Old 23-01-2013, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have you contacted your gas supplier to ask if they have any schemes for filling new boilers?
Lucy Lastic
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Lastic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Lucy Lastic
Old 23-01-2013, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry, that should be fitting not filling.
Lucy Lastic
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Lastic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mummyroysof3
Old 23-01-2013, 10:49 AM

does the warm front scheme still exsist? are you on a low income? we had ours instalded through this
OU Student
Y166, DD101, DSE141 and DB123 passed. Earned Certificate of Higher education
K217, SDK228 and D240 passed Gained diploma of higher education :
DD308.....passed yay
The Following User Says Thank You to mummyroysof3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Lucy Lastic
Old 23-01-2013, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This is from the British Gas website:

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...st-offers.html

You can pay monthly.
Lucy Lastic
# 8
Wywth
Old 23-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
We have considered this but bought our house just before the market nosedive so we are pretty much in negative equity... also we have looked at renting prices & our mortgage is at least 150 cheaper a month for a simular property.
Thanks though
Of course renting will cost more than a mortgage whilst we have historically low interest rates.

But you wouldn't be suffering a loss of capital nor the costs of maintaining the property if you rented.

What will happen if/when interest rates rise to 15%? Sell up now.

Last edited by Wywth; 23-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
C_Mababejive
Old 23-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Is there an immersion heater for the hot water?

Please note that what i am saying isnt meant to be flippant so dont take offence.

I think your best option is not to get further into debt by trying to source a new boiler/heating system.

If you get that new boiler you will have debt to repay for its cost AND you will have opened up the gateway to further gas consumption which will increase your outgoings.

Not so long ago,in the days before widespread central heating, people would often retreat to the living room for the worst of winter and just heat that room. Also,invest in some thermal vests.

I live in a two person house and we both have good jobs. My boiler is 32 years old. Last year i fitted some new,extra controls to regulate usage patterns of heating and hot water. The programmer is set for specific on off times and it runs to those times come hell or high water. This week i have a few days off. The programmer will not be over-ridden and it will stay off. I have a thermal vest on. Its Winterville.

By the way,can you quote the make and model of your boiler and the nature of the problem please?
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
# 10
Lucy Lastic
Old 23-01-2013, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There is a 5 year old and a baby to consider as well as the adults in the house.

I lived in a house without central heating for years, I hated it.

Don't sell your house, (not that you were going to with negative equity) go for monthly payments, get a new system!

It may be debt (so is a mortgage of course), but it's in a good cause.
Lucy Lastic
# 11
GotToChange
Old 23-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywth View Post
Sell up and rent.

You may not like Landlords, but at least they have the worry of fixing the heating etc when it goes wrong.
Oh that's such a glib response/if only it were that easy.....

Landlords MAY have the responsibility - but they do not always live up to it - I am not sure how the law would apply in a case like this and besides some landlords go out of their way do to anything other than the bare minimum.

znbmum, I feel for you and am not sure of the solution; you say that you cannot afford a loan, but there simply must be a way, particularly when you have young children.

Have you checked with your present supplier? Or even a different one? Your Council - or even your Health Visitor may know of something? (Apologies if you have tried all this...I will continue to have a think.)
Do not irritate a woman with a grudge, with time on her hands and with access to the internet.

And, yes, I do Have A Life
x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GotToChange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
znbmum
Old 23-01-2013, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Lastic View Post
There is a 5 year old and a baby to consider as well as the adults in the house.

I lived in a house without central heating for years, I hated it.

Don't sell your house, (not that you were going to with negative equity) go for monthly payments, get a new system!

It may be debt (so is a mortgage of course), but it's in a good cause.

Thanks... I've just checked with my gas provider, they can't do anything. Looks like British gas might so going to get them to come and assess our situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to znbmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
C_Mababejive
Old 23-01-2013, 12:30 PM

We all appreciate that there are children to consider but equally,children have been brought up for millennia in far far worse conditions and even today,children are brought up and survive in far far worse conditions in other countries.

The more you have heat,the more you get used to it and the more you need it. Its all about building up tolerance.

I'm not saying we should all have to exist in temps of -20 where long term exposure would indeed be hazardous but there is a happy medium somewhere.
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
# 14
Lucy Lastic
Old 23-01-2013, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

That's a sensible plan I think, get some heaters as a temporary measure and get an appointment with BG for a free assessment asap.

At least you will know what is required and whether you can afford it.

I hope you can get it sorted soon and that your family will be warm in the mean time.

Lucy Lastic
# 15
C_Mababejive
Old 23-01-2013, 2:27 PM

I'm sorry if my comment may be taken as unhelpful so i shall bow out of this one save for to say the era of cheap and indeed affordable energy is well and truly over and the only way that most of us will manage is to use what we have more efficiently or use less. No offence taken or meant BTW..just a different way of thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to C_Mababejive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Lucy Lastic
Old 24-01-2013, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

znbmum

Please let us know what happens and whether you find a solution that suits you.
Lucy Lastic
# 17
Joyful
Old 24-01-2013, 11:45 AM

You can also check out the Green deal here https://www.gov.uk/green-deal-energy...een-deal-works
I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
# 18
alanq
Old 24-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I've been quoted a min of 3000.
My mother paid BG far more than that several years ago simply to replace an aged boiler and fit some room thermostats to existing radiators - and that with a grant of a few hundred pounds. If the whole system needs replacing that sounds like a much bigger job.

Have you considered storage heating? Electricity will cost more to run but the initial system is likely to be far cheaper to install and there is no paying for annual maintenance / safety checks.

Last edited by alanq; 24-01-2013 at 12:16 PM.
# 19
Wickedkitten
Old 24-01-2013, 1:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you actually had someone out to look at the back boiler? Just because it’s a back boiler doesn’t mean that it can’t be repaired. As far as keeping beds warm, have you thought about getting an electric blanket or two? As far as baby goes, most people have the room too hot to begin with so it might be worth getting a room thermometer and adjusting the amount of clothes that baby has on accordingly.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
# 20
espresso
Old 24-01-2013, 3:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
You can also check out the Green deal here https://www.gov.uk/green-deal-energy...een-deal-works

The Green Deal is a joke! more here and here

"The whole point of the Green Deal is that households are meant to save money on their energy bills - but with rip off interest rates, hidden charges and penalty payments the Green Deal could end up costing people more than they save"

""With sky high interest rates like these its hard to see how the Green Deal will be anything other than a bad deal for the public."
Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..