IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free upgrade to BT Infinity
Views: 5,714
# 1
rubble2
Old 21-01-2013, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Free upgrade to BT Infinity

Hi,

I just received a letter from BT offering me a free upgrade to BT Infinity.

It says :-

'We are currently upgrading our broadband service in your area to make it faster. You will be upgraded to BT Infinity fibre optic broadband for no extra charge at a time that suits you. There will be no change to your existing contract term or charges - the amount you pay will remain the same.

It then quotes a phone number to ring and a code to use in order to arrange an engineer visit.

Anyone else seen this?

I am currently on Broadband option 3 (unlimited downloads) I therefore assume that I will be put on the equivalent service with Infinity.

Sounds too good to be true, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Gordon Hose
Old 21-01-2013, 1:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My thought would be to call the number and see what the score is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Hose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
VisionMan
Old 21-01-2013, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble2 View Post
Hi,

I just received a letter from BT offering me a free upgrade to BT Infinity.

It says :-

'We are currently upgrading our broadband service in your area to make it faster. You will be upgraded to BT Infinity fibre optic broadband for no extra charge at a time that suits you. There will be no change to your existing contract term or charges - the amount you pay will remain the same.

It then quotes a phone number to ring and a code to use in order to arrange an engineer visit.

Anyone else seen this?

I am currently on Broadband option 3 (unlimited downloads) I therefore assume that I will be put on the equivalent service with Infinity.

Sounds too good to be true, any thoughts?
Hi,

And yes it's true. I too was on BT BB option 3, and I am now on BT Infinity Unlimited for no extra cost or extension of contract either.
The Following User Says Thank You to VisionMan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
rubble2
Old 21-01-2013, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for both replies, have rung BT and it is indeed true.

VisionMan, As you have already agreed to this, do you know what the situation is when you come to renew your contract? will they maintain your contract price or will there be an increase as you are now using Infinity?
# 5
VisionMan
Old 21-01-2013, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Thanks for both replies, have rung BT and it is indeed true.

VisionMan, As you have already agreed to this, do you know what the situation is when you come to renew your contract? will they maintain your contract price or will there be an increase as you are now using Infinity?
I've been told by other BT customers it will then be full price. If this happens I'll go ballistic and pursue my complaint via the BT Mods, as I've never paid BT full price for anything. So it's a wait-and-see situation.
# 6
rubble2
Old 21-01-2013, 4:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for that, I have spoken to BT and asked what happens at renewal time, they assured me that the price would not increase but I think we all know how reliable that information will prove to be!.

I suppose there is always the option of leaving if they don't play ball ( or could you downgrade again to standard BB?)
The Following User Says Thank You to rubble2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
CHRISSYG
Old 21-01-2013, 8:17 PM

I've just had a call about changing to infinity,we will upgrade on Jan 29th,I was told it would be the start of a new 18 month contract but as we have only been with them for 3 months it's not a big deal.
I just hope it's half as good as they said.
2014 GOALS BE ORGANIZED.

DD'S BIRTHDAY -APRIL...........SORTED
OH'S BIRTHDAY SEPTEMBER......started.
CHRISTMAS..............started
# 8
VisionMan
Old 21-01-2013, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISSYG View Post
I've just had a call about changing to infinity,we will upgrade on Jan 29th,I was told it would be the start of a new 18 month contract but as we have only been with them for 3 months it's not a big deal.

I just hope it's half as good as they said.
Oh it rocks!
# 9
Viscount
Old 22-01-2013, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Its true,
I have BT infinity installed last year. Nice Lady from BT suggested I could get it as a free upgrade and they would lower my line rental too. No brainer. Good product so far - but then I live quite close to the exchange.
# 10
Phantom Flan Flinger
Old 22-01-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount View Post
.....but then I live quite close to the exchange.
In the case of Infinity, the factor is now your distance to your nearest street box.

My ADSL speed was only 3 Meg down, Infinity for me is 74 Meg down.
Dave.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom Flan Flinger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
CarolynCh
Old 23-01-2013, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

OP - what price were you paying on BTBB option 3? They don't seem to have any unlimited BB option available on their website any more, just either 10GB or 40GB per month. Are you getting the unlimited infinity (advertised at 26 per month) for no extra cost?

We have had (unlimited) infinity for a couple of years now and upgraded to the "max 76MB" in November (although we only get about 53MB). The price was 26.80 and the upgrade was the same price (but advertised at 26). We just got our bill and they have increased the price to 28.35 from 5 Jan. I have complained (as it is still advertised at 26) and they have given us an immediate refund of 12 x 2.35 (28.20). This is great but obviously I am interested to see if other people are getting it much cheaper and complain again! (changing to a different supplier is not an option as my DH needs it for work so we can't afford any down time or mess ups).
# 12
VisionMan
Old 23-01-2013, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

@CarolynCh

Carolyn, have you never negotiated a discount at renewal with BT?
# 13
rubble2
Old 23-01-2013, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynCh View Post
OP - what price were you paying on BTBB option 3? They don't seem to have any unlimited BB option available on their website any more, just either 10GB or 40GB per month. Are you getting the unlimited infinity (advertised at 26 per month) for no extra cost?

We have had (unlimited) infinity for a couple of years now and upgraded to the "max 76MB" in November (although we only get about 53MB). The price was 26.80 and the upgrade was the same price (but advertised at 26). We just got our bill and they have increased the price to 28.35 from 5 Jan. I have complained (as it is still advertised at 26) and they have given us an immediate refund of 12 x 2.35 (28.20). This is great but obviously I am interested to see if other people are getting it much cheaper and complain again! (changing to a different supplier is not an option as my DH needs it for work so we can't afford any down time or mess ups).
CarolynCh

I am currently on BB option3 (unlimited) and am paying about 13.50 a month ( + line rental). When I rang BT I was told that I would get Infinity (unlimited) at absolutely no extra cost to what I am paying now and that there would be no change to my contract dates.

That all sounds good but I need to confirm with them what will happen when my current contract expires ( May) as I would be most displeased if they then try and charge me the going rate for Infinity on renewal. Not sure they could get away with that really but it is BT we are talking about, still I can always go to a different supplier in May if they won't play ball
# 14
CarolynCh
Old 24-01-2013, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionMan View Post
@CarolynCh

Carolyn, have you never negotiated a discount at renewal with BT?
We pay the line rental saver up front (one 12 month contract) and also are on a continuous 12 month contract (second 12 month contract) to get evening & weekend calls included for nothing but I don't think I knew we actually had a "renewal" for the infinity - it was just on a continuous contract before I upgraded the speed last November (which is now presumably 3rd 12 month contract) as far as I knew.

I had no idea that they would negotiate on the line rental saver or anything else for that matter - I have enough difficulty getting them to admit that they are wrong each time the end of our "stay with us for 12 months for free evening/weekend" contract comes around and they try to charge us before they renew.

TBH, since we don't pay for any calls with BT (use 18185 for daytime calls), they would probably tell us to get lost and go to another supplier anyway!
# 15
CarolynCh
Old 24-01-2013, 4:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
CarolynCh

I am currently on BB option3 (unlimited) and am paying about 13.50 a month ( + line rental). When I rang BT I was told that I would get Infinity (unlimited) at absolutely no extra cost to what I am paying now and that there would be no change to my contract dates.

That all sounds good but I need to confirm with them what will happen when my current contract expires ( May) as I would be most displeased if they then try and charge me the going rate for Infinity on renewal. Not sure they could get away with that really but it is BT we are talking about, still I can always go to a different supplier in May if they won't play ball
It will be interesting to know how you get on - I might need to try a bit of negotiation after checking what other suppliers are offering for fibre optic too.
# 16
VisionMan
Old 24-01-2013, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynCh View Post
We pay the line rental saver up front (one 12 month contract) and also are on a continuous 12 month contract (second 12 month contract) to get evening & weekend calls included for nothing but I don't think I knew we actually had a "renewal" for the infinity - it was just on a continuous contract before I upgraded the speed last November (which is now presumably 3rd 12 month contract) as far as I knew.

I had no idea that they would negotiate on the line rental saver or anything else for that matter - I have enough difficulty getting them to admit that they are wrong each time the end of our "stay with us for 12 months for free evening/weekend" contract comes around and they try to charge us before they renew.

TBH, since we don't pay for any calls with BT (use 18185 for daytime calls), they would probably tell us to get lost and go to another supplier anyway!
Carolyn, theres no such thing as a continuous 12 month contract. Once you first initial contract is up, it then switches to a mth-to-mth contact. So you need to ring BT and 1, ask them if your in contact at the moment and 2, if you are, ask them when is it due for renewal.

Then, do your homework as to what other providers will offer you to switch from BT. Then, one month before renewal, or now if your not in contract, ring BT on 150 and select cancellations. Tell them what you've been offered elsewhere and you want to cancel. Then say something nice like 'which is a pity really, as I've never had any problems with BT' and oh yes, they'll offer you discounts to keep you.

Use this broadband checker to see who is available in your area so you know who to ring to check alternate offers -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

And good luck.
# 17
CarolynCh
Old 25-01-2013, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionMan View Post
Carolyn, theres no such thing as a continuous 12 month contract. Once you first initial contract is up, it then switches to a mth-to-mth contact. So you need to ring BT and 1, ask them if your in contact at the moment and 2, if you are, ask them when is it due for renewal.

Then, do your homework as to what other providers will offer you to switch from BT. Then, one month before renewal, or now if your not in contract, ring BT on 150 and select cancellations. Tell them what you've been offered elsewhere and you want to cancel. Then say something nice like 'which is a pity really, as I've never had any problems with BT' and oh yes, they'll offer you discounts to keep you.

Use this broadband checker to see who is available in your area so you know who to ring to check alternate offers -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

And good luck.
I think the problem we have (and this is probably why they do it) is that our line rental saver contract and "stay with us for 12 months to get free evening and weekend calls" are both different dates (November and March I think) so unless we let one of them lapse and switch to a "month-by-month" contract (which will cost us more or lose us the free evening & weekend), we don't have any point in time when we are not "in contract" in order for me to tell them I want to cancel. (the new twelve month infinity contract runs to November 2013 which is about the same time as my line rental saver).
# 18
rhb1
Old 27-01-2013, 9:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default unhappy with BT

We received this same letter from BT in October. We decided to run with the 'Free Upgrade'.
However we just got our most recent bill and are being charged 44 instead of our normal 30. When i called BT they said it was because our contract had ended and we then had to pay for the Infinity.
I will be contacting BT as not only were we not informed there would be increased charges when our contract ended they also didn't give us forwarning that out contract was coming to an end which i found quite unusual.
They also said once on infinity you can not go back to copper broadband.
I'm furious!
# 19
VisionMan
Old 27-01-2013, 9:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhb1 View Post
We received this same letter from BT in October. We decided to run with the 'Free Upgrade'.
However we just got our most recent bill and are being charged 44 instead of our normal 30. When i called BT they said it was because our contract had ended and we then had to pay for the Infinity.
I will be contacting BT as not only were we not informed there would be increased charges when our contract ended they also didn't give us forwarning that out contract was coming to an end which i found quite unusual.
I'm furious!
Then cancel it. #%$ em. And that bit about not being able to go back to copper BB isn't true. Or just renew. And get your discounts again (if you go through cancellations, that is).
# 20
rubble2
Old 27-01-2013, 11:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhb1 View Post
I'm furious!
To be fair this has happened to me before, once your contract ends any discounts you have finish and you need to renegotiate the terms of a new contract. You really need to keep on top of when your contract ends and make sure you renegotiate a month in advance so that if you want to leave you can give sufficient notice not to incur any penalties or price increases.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubble2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>