Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammyw
    • By sammyw 20th Jan 13, 11:50 AM
    • 441Posts
    • 150Thanks
    sammyw
    Buccastem tablets
    • 20th Jan 13, 11:50 AM
    Buccastem tablets 20th Jan 13 at 11:50 AM
    Does anyone here know how long the buccastem tablets take to work? Have been prescribed them for travel sickness but not sure how far in advance to take them. GP said to read the instructions but its not mentioned in them. Where else could I find out?
Page 1
    • poorly scammo
    • By poorly scammo 20th Jan 13, 11:57 AM
    • 32,046 Posts
    • 66,626 Thanks
    poorly scammo
    • 20th Jan 13, 11:57 AM
    • 20th Jan 13, 11:57 AM
    http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/selectorshow.aspx?medicine=buccastem
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 20th Jan 13, 12:05 PM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 10,076 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 20th Jan 13, 12:05 PM
    • 20th Jan 13, 12:05 PM
    Can I recommend Seabands? My DD1 suffers from travel sickness and we got her a pair of them. She has travelled hundreds of miles wearing them and doesn't get sick at all. They really, really work.
    http://www.sea-band.com/
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • lizziebabe
    • By lizziebabe 20th Jan 13, 3:24 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 4,325 Thanks
    lizziebabe
    • 20th Jan 13, 3:24 PM
    • 20th Jan 13, 3:24 PM
    Hi the link is good.
    Buccastem is the same as Prochlorperazine but you take it in a slightly different way. You put it under your tongue so it is dissolved through the inside of your mouth via the buccal mucosa. I used to have them for vertigo/dizziness if I was vomiting. What they don't tell you is that they taste foul - really bad. Now I take a chance and swallow the Prochlorperazine (aka Stemetil) tablet even if I am sick because the Buccastem tastes so bad. It is a personal thing but I don't like them. I would say as with most medications they would take about 20 minutes to kick in. Hope this is helpful.
    PS I am a Nurse.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 20th Jan 13, 5:02 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 34,256 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 20th Jan 13, 5:02 PM
    • 20th Jan 13, 5:02 PM
    For sea sickness I use the sea bands which work until it is very rough (like Force 8)- then I pop a Stugeron.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 20th Jan 13, 7:43 PM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 10,076 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 20th Jan 13, 7:43 PM
    • 20th Jan 13, 7:43 PM
    I agree with Lizziebabe about the buccastem. Mind you, my patients used to find that the taste was nowhere near as bad if they put it up between the upper lip and the teeth, rather than under the tongue.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,038Posts Today

6,298Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin