Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spinningsheep
    • By spinningsheep 19th Jan 13, 4:34 PM
    • 969Posts
    • 742Thanks
    spinningsheep
    Economy Energy, who are they?
    • 19th Jan 13, 4:34 PM
    Economy Energy, who are they? 19th Jan 13 at 4:34 PM
    Who are these people? Never heard of them, had a rep stop me in the street a few days back and I gather they only offer prepay and the rep told me THEY supply the energy, nobody is behind them like Sainsburys Energy and BG for eg, but their website seems vague!

http://www.economyenergy.co.uk/index.html
Page 8
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 23rd Mar 16, 9:13 PM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    Hengus
    This Company does appear to have problems:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/20151216_final_penalty_notice_ee.pdf
    • cpartist265
    • By cpartist265 23rd Mar 16, 9:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cpartist265
    i did the same & got email but it did not say anything about paying anything but i did look at the daily standing charge & it said £26.00p i hope this is rong.
    This is for the gas.
    • cpartist265
    • By cpartist265 23rd Mar 16, 9:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cpartist265
    you dont need a quote to leave a supplyer but the supplyer you want to switch to can do a quote based on your meter readings that you can supply.
    • sarahhalk
    • By sarahhalk 25th May 16, 2:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sarahhalk
    please to all who read this, DO NOT go with economy energy, 2-3 years ago I was stopped by a rep, I told her I would need to speak to my partner about changing as he pays the bills, two weeks later BG wrote saying sorry I had left their company, she had put me on EE without my consent. I got it sorted and went back to BG. I received a letter today from EE stating my fixed term contract was due for renewal, their system states my gas has been with them for a whole year and I didn't even know about it. am taking this further as they have never had my permission to change my gas supplier. now having to wait to go back to BG. PLEASE STAY WELL CLEAR OF ECONOMY ENERGY.
    • Chunky71
    • By Chunky71 20th Jun 16, 10:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chunky71
    Surely if she's had a positive experience that's just as valid as a negative one or am I missing something?AND IF CAPITAL LETTERS WIND PEOPLE UP THEY NEED HELP.Anyway just about to top up with EE & if I spend less than £40 a month I'm happy
    • WelliXL
    • By WelliXL 4th Jul 16, 5:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WelliXL
    Signed up with these guys for gas a few months ago.
    switched from edf (pay as you go meter)
    £20 now lasts me an entire month.
    will be swapping my electric over as edf's prices are ridiculous. (£92 a month -even though i have solar panels)

no problems so far - friends have signed up for pay as you go electric seems to be a similar story with savings.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 4th Jul 16, 11:40 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    I see this company now does credit meters as well as prepayment. Anyone tried them? They come out as the cheapest for me on one comparison site, although uSwitch site doesn't include them at all.
    • SAHSAH46
    • By SAHSAH46 29th Jul 16, 5:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SAHSAH46
    I have been with Economy energy for about 3 years, my bills have reduced by almost half compared to my last supplier. When i have contacted them they have been extremly helpful and my issues were dealt with straight away. I am a very happy customer.
    • Scruff2015
    • By Scruff2015 4th Aug 16, 3:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scruff2015
    BE CAREFUL of ECONOMY ENERGY and E-UK
    BE CAREFUL of ECONOMY ENERGY and E-UK (e . org or e - uk . com) if:

1. If you are a potential customer

If you are a customer (or potential one) - then why would you want to go to a company like this? Do they offer anything different from a more established Energy Supplier? I don't think so. Even if they were to be cheaper, is it worth the risk of being with such a company?

Do a quick Google and you will see what they are all about. Fined £250k by Ofgem for MISSELLING and BAD CUSTOMER SERVICES.

2. You are an employee / potential employee / been offered a Job

I hear that this company (Economy Energy) and E-UK, have treated so many of its staff badly since their short time of being in existence. Apparently, quite a few people have been taken on, mistreated, then unexpectedly and suddenly being done away with citing bogus and next to nothing reasons (do your research on LinkedIn).

All I am saying is if you are at the company, or considering a job offer from Economy Energy or E-UK, then be extremely CAREFUL.

3. Other

If you are also approached by a company called E-UK, then also be equally careful. Do your research (Companies House, Ofgem etc.), join the dots and you will ask questions ...

I'm not saying do not go with them, I am saying BE CAREFUL, DO YOUR RESEARCH and BE 100% before doing anything. If anything doesn't seem right, do not be afraid to report to the Police, the Companies House or Ofgem.
    Last edited by Scruff2015; 05-08-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    • juliajue21
    • By juliajue21 6th Aug 16, 8:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    juliajue21
    prepayment metre charges
    All the companies I've been with charge extra for using emergency credit. For example use £5 and have to pay back £7
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 8th Aug 16, 9:40 AM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    SwanJon
    All the companies I've been with charge extra for using emergency credit. For example use £5 and have to pay back £7
    Originally posted by juliajue21
    This is a common misconception - I will happily donate £10 to a charity of your choice if you can find one supplier that does.

The (non-Smart) meters work on very similar mechanisms (need to learn more about exactly how the Smart meters do it but imagine it will be similar too)If you choose to use Emergency Credit, then the meter will change how it runs that credit down - most commonly it will stop recovering standing charges (but also any payments towards a bill), but this will still be payable once the 'emergency' is over.
    So if you accept the £5 emergency credit and it takes you 4 days to use it you've missed 4 days of standing charges so you need to pay back these on top of the £5.

Emergency credit is there to help out on those odd occasions when you can't top up, but I wouldn't want to think that anyone was going without because they thought that they'd get charged more for using it than normal.
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • tinadadd
    • By tinadadd 10th Aug 16, 4:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinadadd
    Has anyone had any good dealings with this company? I found myself being sweet talked into signing up, I've received no paperwork or meter key and the code that they have given my to activate another key is not working. I want to quit with them and go back to my previous supplier, can I?
    • Scruff2015
    • By Scruff2015 21st Sep 16, 4:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scruff2015
    21 Sept 2016:

Ofgem launches investigation into Economy Energy Trading Limited sales practices.

Looks like these guys may have been at it again - seems like that they just don't care or learn!

Its their 3rd serious investigation in as many years!
    • azzadle
    • By azzadle 28th Sep 16, 10:04 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    azzadle
    They're going to get bent over by OFGEM
    Last edited by azzadle; 10-10-2016 at 2:39 PM.
    • Scruff2015
    • By Scruff2015 18th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scruff2015

Looks like their sister company also in trouble now for same reasons. From Ofgem website:

Investigation into E (Gas and Electricity) Limited’s compliance under the gas and electricity supply licences (Standard Licence Condition 25)

Opened: Sep 2016
    Company: E (Gas and Electricity) Limited
    Regulation Area: Sectoral Regulations
    Breach Areas: Marketing and telesales activities Vulnerable customers

We have opened an investigation into whether E (Gas and Electricity) Limited has complied with the relevant conditions set out in Standard Licence Condition (SLC) 25 in relation to its sales and marketing obligations.

• Scruff2015
    • By Scruff2015 19th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scruff2015

Economy Energy alert

October 5, 2016

2016-10-05 - Economy Energy

An energy company previously fined by the industry watchdog has been targeting households in Fieldway and New Addington, falsely claiming to be working with Croydon Council.

Over the past week, the council’s trading standards team has received a number of complaints concerning residents who have been cold called by a representative of Coventry-based Economy Energy.

Gaining access by claiming that he needed to read the property’s meter, he then asks the resident which company supplies their energy and goes on to say that Economy Energy is working with the council, which is keen that as many residents as possible switch supplier, to his company.

Croydon Council does not have, and has never had, any affiliation with Economy Energy.

In December of last year, the company was fined £250,000 by Ofgem following an investigation into the company’s lack of compliance with industry regulations – read more. And the company is currently under investigation into the sales practices it employs – read more.

Councillor Hamida Ali, cabinet member for communities, safety and justice

“As ever, I’d urge residents to never allow cold callers access to their home without first checking the caller is a representative of a legitimate company and carries ID that can be confidently checked.

“For this individual to gain access on the pretence of being a meter reader and then claim that his company is working with the council to get customers to switch their energy account is particularly disturbing.

“I’d stress that the council has no links, whatsoever, to Economy Energy, and would urge residents to have nothing to do with anybody claiming to represent the company.”

Anybody who is concerned about the behaviour of an energy company sales agent should call the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 04 05 06 or click here.

Croydon’s trading standards team recommends residents enrol in utility companies’ password schemes. Under such schemes, customers register a password of their choice that they can ask any caller from the company to provide before giving access to their property. Inability to provide the password indicates that the caller is not from the company and the resident then knows not to let them in.

• Messymane
    • By Messymane 27th Oct 16, 8:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Messymane
    I got stopped by them about 2 month ago thereabouts and although he was a bit full on he told me my tarrif wouldn't change in winter which sounded good, I wouldn't have a standing charge for prepayment meter which was good and I must admit I am happy so far, no problems and when I had an issue with my key having a fault I got one in mail next day so all in all I hope they keep up the good work
    Last edited by Messymane; 27-10-2016 at 8:42 AM. Reason: Mistake
    • Scruff2015
    • By Scruff2015 27th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scruff2015
    Exception
    Sounds like your an exception Messymane.

Just read all the news about Economy Energy and E(Gas and Electricity) ... doesn't take a genius to do a bit of research on Google, look at companies house, and social media to realize what these 2 companies are like.

If you've had a positive experience, then great! Might be worth telling Ofgem that too. Though its funny why someone would setup a MSE account to report what you have - mostly its disgruntled customers who do this

Don't suppose you have a stake or interest in the company and have created lots of new accounts to post a positive comment? Just an observation, but it seems positive comments on this whole thread is only, or mostly from Newbies

I think an earlier post also said something like this!!!!
    Last edited by Scruff2015; 27-10-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 27th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Joyful
    The latest complaint we had recently was Economy Energy saying they were from British Gas and were to get an elderly customer a new key to reduce her tariff. Talk about miss selling!
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • azzadle
    • By azzadle 4th Nov 16, 9:49 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    azzadle
    I'm not sure 'E' are a sister company.

I recently heard from one person (supplied by E) that when Economy did a price comparison on the phone they told the customer 'E are part of British Gas so we'll just compare against them' - knowing fully they can beat BG but probably not E. Now THAT'S misleading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

2,030Users online

Martin's Twitter