Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,258Posts
    • 8,367Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

Page 82
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Nov 17, 10:22 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Should Nationwide tick your ethical boxes and you wish to do a switch to them then feel free to give me a shout for a mutually beneficial recommendation!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Thanks EH I will bear that in mind

I had an account with them a couple of years ago - whatever it was that helped with first time buying - but their website drove me nuts so I switched away a while ago. Probably for whatever the last switch benefit was

Rosa xx
    Save

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Nov 17, 10:26 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    It is great that you will have Fridays WFH. My WFH days are the key to my sanity (such that it is ) They make such a difference. In the Winter I too use small heater in the room I work in but I also wear fingerless gloves and a scarf indoors! I have a hot water bottle at my back too. I consider it worth it. In fact I prefer it to an overheated, air conditioned office.

Sounds like things are coming together for you.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA

I do think it will make a difference. I can also work some days from here if it works out better, eg if I have a lot of long calls in one day.

Little moggie has already offered herself as a hot water bottle and is purring on my lap as I type

Rosa xx
    Save

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Nov 17, 4:30 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You can't beat a puss-cat shaped hot water bottle in my experience!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 23,342 Posts
    • 40,887 Thanks
    ZTD
    So far I have discovered that the Ethical Consumer rankings haven't been updated since Jun 16 - which isn't very helpful as the I think the Co-op was only sold this year.
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    You'll need to do your own checking then and not rely on "trade bodies". I'm sure you know as well as I do what a complete waste of time ticky-box compliance regimes are...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Nov 17, 7:51 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 3,428 Thanks
    redofromstart
    My moggies love it when I work from home, although fatso tends to sleep on the laptop rather than my knee. She waits till I shuffle paper and then plonks her fat bum firmly down and refuses to move. The others just see it as a great opportunity to go in and out of the window many, many times.

I also wear fetching fingerless gloves and have a small plug in heater. Get far more done, despite the cats.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Nov 17, 9:47 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    My moggies love it when I work from home, although fatso tends to sleep on the laptop rather than my knee. She waits till I shuffle paper and then plonks her fat bum firmly down and refuses to move. The others just see it as a great opportunity to go in and out of the window many, many times.

I also wear fetching fingerless gloves and have a small plug in heater. Get far more done, despite the cats.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Little mog appears to have decided that this is her chair and that either option is acceptable - if I am here she gets to sit on me, and when I get up she has a warm cushion with a warm hoodie draped around the back of the chair, so she wins either way.

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 20th Nov 17, 12:05 AM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    mental switches
    Sunday shuffle report has no surprises, all on track - technically overspent til payday, but have ordered a few Christmas presents and also finally remembered to put in an online order for the cats stuff, so it's excusable. Online mortgage viewing now accessible and money stuff fairly organised, even if the rest of the house is a tip - I have one highly-unlikely-but-worth-a-go PPI thing to do, and the account switches are underway.

I wondered for a bit about my reluctance to switch my main account, and realised that it was partly because I felt stuck with it for so long. It has a huge overdraft which I lived in for a long while, and I was keeping it because I felt I wouldn't get that level of credit elsewhere and might need it. But I've been able to tell myself now that I really don't need it - I haven't used it in years, I have savings (!), I could get credit if I wanted and I've just started overpaying the mortgage so things can't be that bad... and besides, it's a rubbish deal for everything except service, and I already know that my other account is OK in that area - besides, it's not such a drama about checking everything when I'm not having to watch every penny. So I've decided it's time to let that go and move on . A fresh start with an account that hopefully will be always in credit - not least because it should get me a significant switching bonus . A bit weird that it took me so long to figure out what was holding me back, but hopefully now the switch is flipped and light bulb firmly on

Rosa xx

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Nov 17, 10:05 AM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 43,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Nice work! Great idea for a financial fresh start too - as you say you simply don't need that security blanket any more, do you. it does take a while to let things go and relax into the feeling of things being under control though - the same thing applies when you shift the mortgage once and for all, by the way!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 22nd Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Small moneysaving things...

Electric moved to Bu7b, following referral from a friend - that's another £100 switching bonus, and my CheapEnergyClub trigger came through the day after showing it as the second cheapest for me and the cheapest green supplier - happy with that
    £3 saved just by buying a book I want for work off 3bay instead of Ama50n. 3bay doesn't show up on BookBut73r, so I always check it separately.
    Realised I was driving past the local shop on the way home, so didn't even have to do a walk in the cold to stop by and pick up fresh veg to go with the freezer stocks. That should mean actually cooking the next couple of nights instead of either cheese on toast or microwave meals.
    Hanging on to the Curry5 refund voucher until they have something I definitely want - printers keep appearing and disappearing on the website which is probably B1ack Fr1da7 related and very annoying.

Small steps in right direction enjoying getting back to this...

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Nov 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hope I continue to make good choices when I am debt free.

Sometimes I read of people getting debt free and coming back. All credit to them for facing up to it. But it is CONTINUING to make good choices that results in CONTINUING to be debt free and you are illustrating that. Long may it continue
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 22nd Nov 17, 11:22 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I hope I continue to make good choices when I am debt free.

Sometimes I read of people getting debt free and coming back. All credit to them for facing up to it. But it is CONTINUING to make good choices that results in CONTINUING to be debt free and you are illustrating that. Long may it continue
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    DIA, I am so grateful to be debt free and a homeowner I don't think I could manage to give that up easily. This is a level of security I was not sure I would ever get to experience, and I am learning more and more things I can do to maintain it and still enjoy life. I am also very lucky in having not one but two jobs that I love, now that I've finished studying, so I honestly can't think of many/ any things I would be tempted to take on major debt for. I do need to stop anticipating payday, though the monitor for the office is about the last major thing I need anyway, and I need to top the buffer fund back up, but things are on a fairly even keel and I am beginning to find little challenges to keep me interested and aware. As you say, continuing to make good choices is hopefully the thing

Rosa xx

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 23rd Nov 17, 12:03 AM
    • 23,342 Posts
    • 40,887 Thanks
    ZTD
    I do need to stop anticipating payday, though the monitor for the office is about the last major thing I need anyway,
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Have you bought that?

Try https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/ and plug your specification in if not.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 24th Nov 17, 9:48 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Have you bought that?

Try https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/ and plug your specification in if not.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Yes... and I confess I just went to the local Curry5 as wanted it in a hurry and it's difficult getting stuff delivered when out all day (this kind of thing is a bit too obvious and expensive to get delivered to work). Sanity saving, if not very .

Will remember that link in future though, so thank you

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 26th Nov 17, 9:29 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Famous last words...

Sunday shuffle reveals that I am way over budget for this month, and I've got a day out with a friend to cover yet. I'm well into using up the spare of December's paycheque. However, it does include a lot of stuff for the house which has got it fully functional and just about presentable, and most of Christmas, since I've ordered presents in advance and budgeted for the extra travel - so frankly, am not going to worry about it. CC statement balance has been cleared so nothing is costing interest, I'm just effectively borrowing from my own savings pots - and I should have some switching bonuses soon

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Dec 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 8,367 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    And another Sunday crept up when I wasn't looking!

No change from last report, though I do have to claim quite a lot of expenses back which should reduce the scary figure at the top of YNAB. It's still within the spare of December pay though, so will even out within the month.

One account switch successfully completed, and the other should go through tomorrow. Slightly annoyed at finding I have to wait on a letter to get into online banking, so will be a few days before I can definitely check what has come out of where, but the mortgage is definitely OK. Will make my small overpayment again later this month, despite being technically ahead of myself.

Next mission will be to get myself a new credit card, either with a bonus or with an ethical provider (obviously both if that's possible). I should find out the situation with the electric when doing a reading for the switch in a few day's time, and that's already switched to a good option and should have £100 taken off the bill with the switching bonus.

Christmas is pretty much budgeted for, including some extra charity donations, so hopefully that's nearly sorted. I finally managed to find some winter boots last week, and unearth a pair I'd forgotten about, so that's now sorted for the year too

Plodding upwards

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounding positive Rosa
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter