Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,210Posts
    • 8,199Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
Page 80
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,442 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ahhhh...bearings gone on the old machine then I'm guessing - that was what killed our last one too, and yes the banging noise does rather make you fear the thing is going to leap out of the kitchen and get you! I wanted to get ours fixed but when I rang "a man" up about it he heard the symptoms, told me what was wrong, asked the make and when I said "Indesit" he just laughed and told me to buy a new one!

Missed your earlier comments about YNAB misbehaving - that's pretty poor really, thank goodness you had the buffer fund there to cover.

My September CC figures will also be somewhat influenced as a result of some clothes shopping...I wouldn't mind but I don't even enjoy it!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 2nd Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 23,153 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    ZTD
    I know I could also go and look for an alternative package but I have so much else going on right now that I don't think I can be **sed with the additional hassle of learning a new budget app. I've emailed them to complain though, so let's see what happens there.
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I've adjusted things and will essentially loan myself money from the buffer fund til next payday.
    Do you record that "borowing" in your budget app (if so, how?) or externally?

I ought to do something about my food budget though...
    That caviar isn't cheap apparently...

Although I've also had a letter about the electric, apparently companies can't discriminate due to unusual meters any more... so much read that properly.
    How is your meter unusual?

Still wishing I could manage an escape north but not sure how it could happen...so just relaxing, enjoying the house and letting longer term plans brew
    Like..?

Ahhhh...bearings gone on the old machine then I'm guessing - that was what killed our last one too, and yes the banging noise does rather make you fear the thing is going to leap out of the kitchen and get you! I wanted to get ours fixed but when I rang "a man" up about it he heard the symptoms, told me what was wrong, asked the make and when I said "Indesit" he just laughed and told me to buy a new one!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Some brands essential bury the bearings so deep, they're not maintainable. AKA "brands to avoid"...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 2nd Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia

The machine has been noisy ever since I moved in, and I don't think being shut in a small 'utility room' (ahem, porch) helps - next doors' sounds really loud too. But yes the clunking noises got too much, I think the drum was out of whack and just assumed it would be not worth the cost to repair. I ordered a new one before the wash was even finished but left it to go as long as it would rather than have totally soggy bedding hanging around!

Missed your earlier comments about YNAB misbehaving - that's pretty poor really, thank goodness you had the buffer fund there to cover.
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I emailed YNAB and did have a reply - they have offered to look into it if I confirm they can access the account, so I may allow that. It seems to be ok now, and I am double checking all the CC purchases show up where they should. My guess is that one of the updates froze something and another one fixed it. Probably not much to be done now, so will just be a little less trusting than before.

Do you record that "borrowing" in your budget app (if so, how?) or externally?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Yes, it comes out of one budget category line as a minus allocation for this month, and gets reallocated to other lines. I've just reshuffled things today to make things clearer to myself so I now have a bunch of savings pots from the small things (vet bills) through to the buffer pot (rather larger), holidays are in fun stuff not savings anymore, and there's a Quality of Life Goals line called 'Paying off the mortgage'. YNAB allows you to set goals for each category line so I know how much I need to put back in to the buffer to get back to where I started - and I also use this feature for the annual costs categories, but as the 'target balance by date' so that it helps me work out how much needs to go aside each month for eg the house insurance. I keep those separate from savings pots that are kept for unforeseen events.

That caviar isn't cheap apparently...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    It's not caviar, it's buying fresh veg with the intention of cooking and being healthy, then finding I'm either out of the house or shattered for a few days by which time the veg is nearly compost!

How is your meter unusual?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    It's a multiple meter apparently - not two visible, but two circuits in the house.

Like..?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Mostly escaping northwards and how to find a way of doing that while still paying a mortgage!

Rosa xx
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 02-10-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 3rd Oct 17, 8:53 AM
    • 23,153 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    ZTD
    It's not caviar, it's buying fresh veg with the intention of cooking and being healthy, then finding I'm either out of the house or shattered for a few days by which time the veg is nearly compost!
    Buy frozen. It should be "healthier" than "fresh" as it's frozen fairly quickly from picking as opposed to lurking in the distribution system for a couple of weeks/months/years. Also, you can just pour it into the steamer, wait 45 minutes for the "bing", and it's done.

Mostly escaping northwards and how to find a way of doing that while still paying a mortgage!
    See, if you lived up north, you wouldn't have that. You'd dream of escaping southwards whilst still paying a mortgage...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 3rd Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 9,062 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I agree re frozen veg. I use fresh but I also love frozen veggies, fish too
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I used to keep a stock of frozen veg... you are both right, time to do that again. Now added to shopping list

I have just applied for another current account to get the switch benefits, as the monthly reward period has expired on one of my present ones. I checked my CreditClub report to find the amount of outstanding mortgage and am ridiculously pleased to find that the number at the front will shortly change. Only a psychological barrier really, but it's good to see that my money really is paying off a debt and benefiting me rather than going into a landlord's pocket. So, very grateful to have been given this opportunity, and amused to find that now it only feels like another CC to be tackled... it may be bigger numbers, but I have some practice at doing this now

Rosa xx
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 4th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,442 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Buy frozen. It should be "healthier" than "fresh" as it's frozen fairly quickly from picking as opposed to lurking in the distribution system for a couple of weeks/months/years. Also, you can just pour it into the steamer, wait 45 minutes for the "bing", and it's done.

See, if you lived up north, you wouldn't have that. You'd dream of escaping southwards whilst still paying a mortgage...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Frozen veg rocks - but, Zed - 45 minutes?! Do you put your sprouts on for Christmas in March, too?! Another vote for frozen fish too - I love the bags of mixed seafood or "fish pie mix" as well for giving a bit more choice in a dish!

Rosa you're looking at the mortgage in absolutely the right way IMO - and celebrating the milestones is definitely a good thing! The spreadsheet we used to track ours also enabled us to see things like when we reached the "tipping point" of paying off more capital than interest with each payment - that's one I remember specifically as feeling like a real "win"!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 23,153 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    ZTD
    Frozen veg rocks - but, Zed - 45 minutes?! Do you put your sprouts on for Christmas in March, too?!
    Unfortunately I have one of those electric self-contained units which operate by continually refluxing the steam. The water gets up to a temperature which would be ideal for naked Swedes to be slapping each other with birch branches - but no luck yet...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,442 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Unfortunately I have one of those electric self-contained units which operate by continually refluxing the steam. The water gets up to a temperature which would be ideal for naked Swedes to be slapping each other with birch branches - but no luck yet...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Keep hoping!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Keep hoping!
    Though be careful what you wish for

Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 06-10-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 23,153 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    ZTD
    Though be careful what you wish for

Save
    Why? What should I be wishing for?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Frozen veg rocks - but, Zed - 45 minutes?! Do you put your sprouts on for Christmas in March, too?! Another vote for frozen fish too - I love the bags of mixed seafood or "fish pie mix" as well for giving a bit more choice in a dish!
    Plenty of fish and meat in the freezer already, just need to get back to keeping the veg to hand as well. I buy quality stuff and freeze it when it's on offer or yellow stickered, as I try to buy ethically produced British meat and I have a bit more faith in Wa1trose than the other options when it comes to quality standards (I did look at Ald1, but they usually say EU and I'm not sure the standards are consistent - certainly the Danish farming practices have attracted attention for the wrong reasons). Not fond of prawns though so I tend not to buy the seafood mix!

Rosa
    you're looking at the mortgage in absolutely the right way IMO - and celebrating the milestones is definitely a good thing! The spreadsheet we used to track ours also enabled us to see things like when we reached the "tipping point" of paying off more capital than interest with each payment - that's one I remember specifically as feeling like a real "win"!
    Thanks EH, that's good to hear from someone with practice . It's looking like that number will change with the December payment and I'm hoping by then I will be able to start overpayments to help it along.

Rosa xx
    Save
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sunday shuffle report... all looking ok, though not sure if YNAB had a CC wibble again as I thought the washing machine payment was covered and somehow now it isn't. Never mind, will just stop using the darn thing . Washing machine will be covered and some of buffer pot borrowing repaid with paycheque later this month.

I went to a wedding this weekend and stayed over in the hotel after all - but managed to share with a friend and wangle discount so cost was much lower than it could have been and it was worth it to be able to spend the whole evening there and not worry about driving back. Was supposed to be going to a conference this coming weekend but don't really want to and also don't want to spend the money, so probably won't.

Doing ok with ShopNScan, should have £20 worth of Ama50n vouchers with next points credit and that can go towards a textbook I need, so very welcome. Also some returns to make, which may help adjust everything again.

So plodding in the right direction still

Rosa xx
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 23,153 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    ZTD
    Sunday shuffle report... all looking ok, though not sure if YNAB had a CC wibble again as I thought the washing machine payment was covered and somehow now it isn't. Never mind, will just stop using the darn thing .
    If you don't mind them poking around your finances, why don't you take up YNAB on their offer to do tech support?

Was supposed to be going to a conference this coming weekend but don't really want to and also don't want to spend the money, so probably won't.
    What's the conference about? Why don't you want to go? (apart from the money aspect)

Doing ok with ShopNScan, should have £20 worth of Ama50n vouchers with next points credit and that can go towards a textbook I need, so very welcome.
    Anything interesting?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 8,199 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    If you don't mind them poking around your finances, why don't you take up YNAB on their offer to do tech support?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Mostly because at the minute I don't want more emails to worry about than absolutely necessary. I'll get them to look at it if there's a wobble once I get things sorted. I remembered that I did put in my next paycheque and budget it as if cleared, then pushed it to the real date, so I may just have remembered things wrong.

What's the conference about? Why don't you want to go? (apart from the money aspect)
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Too many weekends rushing around the country and not enough chilling or keeping myself on track. I need a bit of time to just do very basic things like sort my winter clothes out and shop, and I really don't want to be driving across the country or staying in a hotel again this weekend.

Anything interesting?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Sort of... mostly needed for an exam for work, so all depends on what you call interesting

Rosa xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin