Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,196Posts
    • 8,155Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
Page 79
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Shuffling forward and back...
    Well all is on track and OK, although August looks way over budget (by hundreds). However, this is because I have already noted the things that need paying for including the new business stuff and car insurance. It will be covered by my August usual paycheque and the extra contract cheque that is also due to arrive later in the month.

I am making progress on the house, which is just as well because it's started to really annoy me when things are not in sensible places - not sure why this took so long . Still lots to be done but getting there. Same applies to new business. I think this means plans are coming together...

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Belated (very) shuffle report... back in the black after receiving work expenses and extra contract payment. However, having checked my YNAB records I haven't spent as much as I though on the new business set up and am still 'in profit' with the extra contract work, so do need to sort out something about tax (there isn't much more I need and I intend to cover my costs in future even though I won't be treating it as a full on business). I find this whole idea terrifying but must resolve to either call HMRC or find a friendly and tolerant accountant soon

So it looks I have more money this month than I thought, as this month's paycheque will have some spare. Plus I should get my annual pay rise - probably about £20 a month so not exactly going to change my plans but I suppose it shouldn't be sniffed at either. Hopefully this means I can make that first mortgage overpayment

Rosa xx
    Save
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Aug 17, 11:08 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Shuffle report on time... funny but even the reminder to pop in once a week really helps keep me accountable.

No change really... pretty much OK, should have some spare this month to either have a trip away or do something for the house. I ought to get some outline quotes for the work I want doing on the house this winter so that I can decide. Oh and I love the new YNAB app - can finally adjust budgeting on the spot, instead of putting transactions in by phone and then having to do budget adjustments on the computer. Age of Money is 50 days.

I also found that I have at least two dresses that will do for going to a friend's wedding in a few weeks, so that saves shopping . I will need shoes, but that's better than needing the whole lot!

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Aug 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 8,516 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's great you have the main elements of a wedding outfit. Cheaper but also lower stress.
    Have a good week.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=6,448
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 28th Aug 17, 9:48 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Scooting by with a shuffle report...

Things are tigher than usual this month due to a flat tyre incident - fortunately it was noticed before I set off, but it meant I had to get the two new tyres this month rather than next month, and at Kwik Fit since they were the only option on a Bank Hol Sunday afternoon. Grateful again that nowadays this kind of thing is an annoyance rather than an utter disaster - and for neighbours who helped with changing the wheel.

I'm considering getting ahead of myself and spending on the credit card in advance of September's paycheque, as a friend abroad has invited me to stay. It would be much better to go now than later in the year and I do have a buffer I can borrow from if necessary, so am just looking at how fast I can get my passport sorted. I allowed it to expire because I rarely go abroad and it is so expensive. I had a bit of a panic finding it so really need to do some sorting and filing.

So no overpayment this month after all, but going away (if it happens) will more than compensate. I have also been spending on clothes, but all things I will wear so no guilt attached. I have had my hair cut and bought new perfume too - both overdue, I had forgotten how much I love good perfume (and I am a terrible snob about it and what I bought was expensive, but worth it to me).

I'm aware that I am not using my reward accounts and ought to sit down and sort that out - I need to remind myself to do transfers and also check what direct debits need to go to which account. Oh and thank goodness for redirected post as a storecard was forwarded from the old address - I'd completely forgotten to change the address on the account. Although I rarely buy anything with it these days, and the interest rate is scandalous, so I'm thinking of dropping it anyhow.

So nothing very exciting here, just glad it's all running OK

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 28th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Slight update... I got off my backside about the cashback accounts.

T5B now has two direct debits, which should pay £5 a month, and I've added the card back to my purse to use it for spending (assuming I can remember the PIN... ) which should get another £5. The new app is refusing to work on my phone but I can just use the laptop. I am assuming that the cashback still applies to this account, it may not do if they really meant it was only for a year. Will find out soon anyway and if not will close the account.

C0-0p has had money paid in, and now needs switching to paperless statements... I remembered the reason it all went off track was I forgot the PIN and it needs a reset. Will ring them and get it set up. That should bring in another £4 a month and if I'm being very organised and swop over to that card once there are enough purchases on the T5B, would mean another £1.50.

I had forgotten that it's very easy money for a few minutes money shuffling

Rosa xx
    Save
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,208 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Does sound like it's ticking along nicely - and it's not really surprising if after all the stress of the move etc you've taken your eye off the ball on a few bits and bobs!

Get that storecard closed unless it comes with any benefits to you and you can just use it and clear it each month!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Does sound like it's ticking along nicely - and it's not really surprising if after all the stress of the move etc you've taken your eye off the ball on a few bits and bobs!

Get that storecard closed unless it comes with any benefits to you and you can just use it and clear it each month!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Thanks EH - I just keep the storecard for the occasional discounts but I use it so rarely it's hardly worth it and I don't like encouraging them when the interest rate is so hideous!

I will have to face up and 'fess up at the weekend... dread to think what I've spent while away but I had such a great time and it was an opportunity that may never come again, so no regrets.

Rosa xx
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,208 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Definitely no regrets towards spending on "once in a lifetimes" when the money is there to cover such things - this is the very reason we budget for fun!

You've reminded me that we too have house jobs that need quoting for to be done ahead of the winter - not least the rest of the windows!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Definitely no regrets towards spending on "once in a lifetimes" when the money is there to cover such things - this is the very reason we budget for fun!

You've reminded me that we too have house jobs that need quoting for to be done ahead of the winter - not least the rest of the windows!
    Totally... I faced up to my shuffle on Sunday and the damage isn't as bad as I had thought. However, I really need to get straightened out with the credit card because even though YNAB tells me I'm OK, I don't quite understand how and would prefer to just see it cleared. My statement is due any minute so will see what happens there.

Ought to spend money on house things but tempted to try and have one more escape northwards before winter...

Rosa xx
    Save
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 20th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,208 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I can understand those sorts of temptations...we're planning a Christmassy trip both North and West...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 20th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 23,093 Posts
    • 39,728 Thanks
    ZTD
    I can understand those sorts of temptations...we're planning a Christmassy trip both North and West...
    I can't understand those sorts of temptations. Somewhere south sunny and warm during winter is the sort of temptation I can understand...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 20th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 8,155 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    trust yourself not your software...
    Well it turns out my instincts were pretty much spot on... YNAB refreshed itself today and somehow went from being all square and August correctly budgeted, to my CC being over £1,100 in the red and August all over the place. I am SO cross. How can I use the thing if it doesn't do what it's supposed to? Yes, I know I could just clear the credit card every month and I guess that's what I will do - I've been paying the statement balance to get the interest free period and it just gets me confused, so now I will just clear it on payday regardless. I know I could also go and look for an alternative package but I have so much else going on right now that I don't think I can be **sed with the additional hassle of learning a new budget app. I've emailed them to complain though, so let's see what happens there.

I've adjusted things and will essentially loan myself money from the buffer fund til next payday. This is what I thought was going to have to happen to enable the last trip away, but it wouldn't have been possible even after next month and it was awesome so I think that's excusable . It does mean another escape in October is rather less likely though and I'm not sure about later in the year... will see.

Back to being a bit more careful, and actually enjoying fiddling with the numbers. I did check my insurance for both gadgets and animals but haven't really found any better deals and decided that to me it's worth the money for the peace of mind - since I can afford it right now, will just be grateful for that.

I ought to do something about my food budget though...

Rosa xx
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 20th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 23,093 Posts
    • 39,728 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well I'm still doing that "organised" thing using gnucash (yes, the novelty still hasn't worn off...). Although it's free, it's a full double-entry system so probably a bit overkill for most people. It sits well with me however, especially the reporting on the desktop version.

It does however allow you to put transactions into the future and then tell you the lowest your money will go if all your transactions come true.

The budget model doesn't work well for me, but maybe I'm just not a budget kind of person...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 21st Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 7,774 Posts
    • 40,208 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I can't understand those sorts of temptations. Somewhere south sunny and warm during winter is the sort of temptation I can understand...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Nooo....winter is meant to be cold!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,867Posts Today

8,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin