Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,184Posts
    • 8,132Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
Page 78
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 7,654 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    As you say, lesson learned. Glad you are back on track
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    As you say, lesson learned. Glad you are back on track
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA

Getting there, although I think part of what I'm learning from this wobble is that I'm not quite clear any more what my track is. When I was working to become DF I thought my next goal would be saving for a deposit, and that has turned out not to be necessary. So I need to do some thinking and find out what my new goals are.

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Jul 17, 11:54 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Belated Sunday shuffle... popping in to keep myself in line!

I am technically overspent for the month but it will be fine on payday in two weeks - so I am essentially borrowing from the savings pot and paying myself back.

I have rounded up all the receipts and sorted my finance file so am feeling better organised. Plus it means I can now claim my expenses tomorrow and that will be money back in the bank. I haven't sorted all my paperwork but I'm getting better which is the main thing. I also remembered to send in my shopnscan so that's free K1ndle reading building up

I could do with some time just to catch up and clean. I have the laundry nearly under control again but other things have got behind. I spent far too much time this week sorting an issue with the neighbours which is too dull and annoying to go into but has cost me about £60 and wasted lots of my time both sorting it and worrying about it. However, hopefully it's over now. I should have Sunday clear to do some 'home blessing' as FlyLady calls it.

I have made a bit of progress on my extra work so am pleased with that... things are beginning to move along in several directions of my life now so am feeling rather lucky and grateful

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 7,654 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Belated Sunday shuffle...
    I have made a bit of progress on my extra work so am pleased with that... things are beginning to move along in several directions of my life now so am feeling rather lucky and grateful
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    This is nice to read. Long may it continue.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 23,076 Posts
    • 39,625 Thanks
    ZTD
    I am technically overspent for the month but it will be fine on payday in two weeks - so I am essentially borrowing from the savings pot and paying myself back.
    If your spending is variable you could always account for your spending (let's say for example) a trailing 3 months, rather than on a month by month basis.

I have rounded up all the receipts and sorted my finance file so am feeling better organised.
    Yes, I need to do that as well...

I spent far too much time this week sorting an issue with the neighbours which is too dull and annoying to go into but has cost me about £60
    My...hits are getting cheap these days.

"Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 16th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sunday shuffle time again...

Still technically over budget, but not more than will be compensated for on payday and receipt of work expenses and a cheque in August (the cheque is for extra work which is currently going towards setting up the new venture, so I feel OK about lending to myself to get this underway).

Spending is coming back under control. I remembered to submit shopnscan this evening and also finally got round to checking my Clubc4rd account and changing the address, as I usually buy petrol at Tatco these days. There's a whole £3 in vouchers on there goodness knows why I bother but I suppose it's all money in the pot. I am not doing well with my reward accounts at the moment - they changed the criteria for number of direct debits etc and I didn't bother sorting it the last couple of months while I was going away etc - so I need to look at that next weekend/ payday. I also need to look at the cats' insurance as it's becoming really expensive - I can probably move one, but the other has a pre-existing condition so need to think this through.

I've had a lovely chilled weekend, just catching up with myself... sorting stuff around the house, reading, then went out today for lunch with a friend and popping in to support a local charity event. I made a good contact for the new venture in the process which I wasn't at all expecting so that was a bonus. Also finally got round to putting some stuff in the loft which gives me more room for sorting the spare room. I need to fold out the futon for a friend coming to stay but that requires moving enough of the clothes and empty cardboard boxes to allow the unfolding ... anyway made a bit of progress and will hopefully have that sorted next weekend. I would like to put a bed in there but haven't identified the one I want yet.

I also called the mortgage company to get the details for online banking so that I can make overpayments. I've decided to start paying something towards that every month where I can - I already have a buffer so it's not necessarily the best use of the money to put it in savings and I would like to get the LTV down as quickly as possible. I think I can probably manage about an extra 10% of the monthly payment, possibly 20% depending on how I schedule things that need sorting in the house. So that's my aim for this payday. I think I probably need to revise my budget, so may look at making a fresh start.

So all good here... hope everyone else has had a good weekend too

Rosa xx
    Save
    Save
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 16th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 23,076 Posts
    • 39,625 Thanks
    ZTD
    Sunday shuffle time again...
    I did that today as well - only a few thousand quid worth of transactions to catch up on...

Still technically over budget, but not more than will be compensated for on payday and receipt of work expenses and a cheque in August (the cheque is for extra work which is currently going towards setting up the new venture, so I feel OK about lending to myself to get this underway).
    Is this to do with the qualification you went for?

Also finally got round to putting some stuff in the loft which gives me more room for sorting the spare room.
    I hope you didn't just pile it around the hatch...

I also called the mortgage company to get the details for online banking so that I can make overpayments. I've decided to start paying something towards that every month where I can - I already have a buffer so it's not necessarily the best use of the money to put it in savings and I would like to get the LTV down as quickly as possible. I think I can probably manage about an extra 10% of the monthly payment, possibly 20% depending on how I schedule things that need sorting in the house.
    If you have taken any novelties like a fixed rate etc, you may be restricted to 10% anyway.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 16th Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Is this to do with the qualification you went for?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Yes, finished now and looking to finally use it. Just on a small scale for now, I have to keep the day job.

I hope you didn't just pile it around the hatch...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Well there's not much up there at present - I am astonished at having a loft all to myself so the camping stuff has gone relatively near the hatch and I will eventually sort the archiving that can go and live at the other end. I do also need a ladder to make this a safer and less PITA option, so once I've reviewed the budget situation will look at sorting this as next priority after the spare bed.

If you have taken any novelties like a fixed rate etc, you may be restricted to 10% anyway.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I am, but it's 10% of the outstanding balance rather than of the year's payments and I rather doubt I'll be managing that in a year of course if it does happen that would be lovely but I suspect it would require buying a lottery ticket!

Rosa xx
    Save
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 16th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    My...hits are getting cheap these days.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I didn't have to resort to that
    Save
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 19th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    ...Well Ms Homeowner ...what can I say except really proud! ... good things come to those who wait.

Sending loads of positive vibes to you and wishing you well.

Finance File ... just makes me smile ... Mine is a bin liner under the bed lol ... Jokes .

Much love as always,
    Sam xx
    Savings £7150 18th July
    Vouchers £20 NO DEBT

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 19th Jul 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    p.s

T'wil soon be the weather where one will need to frequent Mse site to borrow moggies for winter Moggie Slippers...

I would ask how they doing ? but imagine they are snoozing in the warmest spot they can find.
    Savings £7150 18th July
    Vouchers £20 NO DEBT

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    p.s

T'wil soon be the weather where one will need to frequent Mse site to borrow moggies for winter Moggie Slippers...

I would ask how they doing ? but imagine they are snoozing in the warmest spot they can find.
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Sam! Lovely to see you

Mogs are indeed snoozing, it seems to be pretty much all they do . I went in to work late this morning and they had already retired straight from their breakfast to the sofa. I suppose I can stop feeling guilty about leaving them alone all day since it appears to make naff all difference to their schedule!

There may be a bit of training required for slipper help though, the big one tends to sprawl himself down beside you like a draught excluder and the little one has an annoying habit of parking herself on your chest so you wake up with not just wondering what's wrong with your breathing but being tickled by her whiskers and being stared at which is all a bit disturbing

Rosa xx
    Save
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Confessing to further abuse of the credit card today... went past Ik3a on the way home from a meeting and decided to go in and buy a spare bed rather than mess about any longer. One very simple bedframe and basic mattress for £140 plus delivery, so not bad at all. (I haven't seen any bedframes I liked second hand and the frame alone was more than that new in most places.) Hopefully if I spend the weekend shifting things and putting it together then it will all be sorted from next week

And I resisted further temptation except for two lovely little simple bedside tables to go with it because they were only £9 each - the ugly veneer ones I kept from the old flat can go to charity.

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 23rd Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Progress!
    Sunday shuffle is postponed to payday this coming week, because I have spent the whole weekend on house chores and it's time to do something fun instead.

I have got the spare room sorted and I'm so pleased with it. I finally folded up all the moving boxes that were in there and scaring me - it looked so much worse that it really was, as most of them were empty - and put them in the loft. I put the bed together yesterday and it is fab - beautifully simple, all that's needed. I'll give it a coat of white paint someday but it will do for now. I even put the bedside tables together late last night as I was on a roll and they look great in there too. Pleased to find that there is still room to use the big drying rack in there when guests are not present and I haven't sorted all the clothes that are currently in there, but that's another project. It also means I am sorting through the spare bedding which needed doing as it had got a bit out of control! I used to keep plenty of spares as in a previous shared house there were often random people arriving, but I really don't need as much as I have kept. That's now being sorted into underbed boxes and other places, and the really old stuff will go to recycling.

I have also shifted things around in the study, including more stuff into the loft, and plan to do more - I have an idea for how to make it work without the alterations I thought would be necessary. It means shifting out some of the furniture I brought with me, so I'm going to end up with the garage full of the old stuff, but that's fine - I will hang onto it for a while as a friend is moving soon, and if it isn't needed then it can go to charity.

Sooo after all that I don't feel like doing budgeting - not as I know it's already over - so that can wait a couple of days. I'm going to go and look at websites and things... I know this isn't what normal people call fun, but I'm excited about the new venture so it still seems fun to me. I suspect the novelty will wear off so am going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 7,654 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's nice to have a room ready for other people. That's one of the things I miss as my house is not 'guest ready'

I am due to put together a new course for September in a subject I have never taught, seemed a good idea at the time. I wish I was as excited about this new venture as you are.

Have a good week.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 23rd Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    It's nice to have a room ready for other people. That's one of the things I miss as my house is not 'guest ready'
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Totally agree DIA - I have really missed it while I was in the flat (people could stay in the living room there, but it wasn't a very good set up). I know it's a luxury but as my support network is scattered around the country it's really important for me. I feel so much better for having done it, as now people can stay in comfort - the rest of the house is just messy and unco-ordinated, and that will progress now too

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Shuffle, shriek, start again
    Monthly shuffle now shuffled... scared myself at finding I was over budget for August by about £600 , then reviewed July and took out the things I had budgeted for but don't have to pay til September! I think I'm now about right but am about £300 over - that's what I expected for buying the spare bed now. I have a payment from some new venture work coming in August as well as pay so that will hopefully get things back on an even keel - I owe myself some of that money as have been using my usual income to cover set up work. I would say hopefully I could put a little aside, but the car needs a taillight fixing and my insurance has gone up by £100 so I think that would be too optimistic :/ . I do have money put aside but only enough to cover the insurance at this point; I suppose I could check other quotes but my current one has come out cheapest anyway the last couple of years and they have been very good to deal with, so am inclined to stick with them.

Oh, and I have a hen night and wedding present plus a trip away to cover in September. Very glad I went for the cheap option for sorting the spare room! Hoping for a calmer, cheaper few weeks ahead now.

I wanted to overpay the mortgage this month but perhaps I shouldn't when the budget looks like this... will think about it.

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 7,654 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I don't own a car but stress, time and good customer service are worth a few pounds extra in the grand scheme of things so maybe stick with your current insurer if there isn't much in it?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 27th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 23,076 Posts
    • 39,625 Thanks
    ZTD
    Monthly shuffle now shuffled... scared myself at finding I was over budget for August
    A budget is meant as a guide, to mould future spending. It's not a scary bed-time story to be read in the dark...

by about £600 , then reviewed July and took out the things I had budgeted for but don't have to pay til September! I think I'm now about right but am about £300 over - that's what I expected for buying the spare bed now. I have a payment from some new venture work coming in August as well as pay so that will hopefully get things back on an even keel - I owe myself some of that money as have been using my usual income to cover set up work.
    Don't forget to keep some back for tax.

I would say hopefully I could put a little aside, but the car needs a taillight fixing
    Is that a blown bulb, or coloured brittle plastic hitting a lamp post?

and my insurance has gone up by £100 so I think that would be too optimistic :/ . I do have money put aside but only enough to cover the insurance at this point; I suppose I could check other quotes but my current one has come out cheapest anyway the last couple of years and they have been very good to deal with, so am inclined to stick with them.
    *Always* check. They may be the best deal, but you'll never know unless you check. Also, look at the cashback sites.

I wanted to overpay the mortgage this month but perhaps I shouldn't when the budget looks like this... will think about it.
    Do the calculations, but I would advise no. If it's feeling tight, then now is not the best time to overpay. Afterall, what's the saving of a month or two interest on that overpayment compared to sparing yourself the feeling of dread when you realise you could really have done with that money?

Just don't buy tut with it...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin