Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,167Posts
    • 8,079Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
Page 76
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hi Flower Congratulations on your new home. HOME what a lovely word .

Hope it all comes together nicely for you

Much love Sam xx
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks Sam

It's a wonderful word and a lovely lovely feeling

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    One small step for MFW
    Well dashing in to record that yesterday I paid almost £1000 off my mortgage

I got my rent deposit back and have used it to clear the mortgage fees (because they are technically a separate loan, you are allowed to pay them off at any point). I couldn't quite stretch to paying them up front at the time but as I have the money to hand now, and it saves interest over such a long period, I have booted them!

It's a lovely motivating feeling as well and has made me think that perhaps the mortgage is really just a bigger version of a debt like all the others, and can be crunched with a little applied cunning! I'm going to look up how much I can overpay per year and try to pay something, even if it's only a little bit, every quarter so that I can feel I'm progressing.

In other news
    • I have a vets bill for a poorly little moggy but she is feeling better and I had the savings pot ready, so grateful that was available. It will be topped back up again over the next couple of months.
    • I also got the bill for the car repair and it isn't great - over £300 - but that is better than I had been worrying about, so could have been worse. I've reshuffled the budget and fortunately my switching bonus for the new account just arrived so that has buffered things by £100 - not that I couldn't have found better uses for the money, but hey ho.
    • Revised bill for water has arrived and I now have a water meter - was expecting that to take months, but walked out one morning last week and it turned out all the noise in the street was a meter outside my house! Hoping that will end up as lower costs and at least I have more control this way.
    • Council tax bill now all online so much easier to see - not much of a drop from the 10 month schedule but OK.

Tried out the new tax calculator but it's not really any use to me as the final figure doesn't account for my pension contributions... so will have to wait to payday to find out the real result of the tax changes and the measly measly less than 1% pay rise. Still, I suppose nothing is to be sneezed at, it's all money in the pot.

Oh and have a new employee benefits thing that will get me money off B3nsons for Beds and Arg0s and Curry5 - so must remember to look at those when looking at home shopping.

Still to do:
    • Get the electricity sorted so that I know my bills per month. Must phone them, as now they have readings I should be able to swop tariffs.
    • Sort through loyalty cards and do something about keeping them in the car together with vouchers. I have some good deals with myWaitrose that saved me about £20 today and I often use T3sco for petrol so if I was organised about it I could do something with the Clubcard vouchers.
    Getting back into the swing of things

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Apr 17, 9:33 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Another still to do I must look at - INSURANCE.

I need to review options for:
    • phone
    • laptop
    • pets
    • critical illness

Something for an evening when I've got the paperwork back under control.

Rosa xx
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Apr 17, 10:35 AM
    • 7,329 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Aww hope pusscat is soon better Rosa.

Ace work getting rid of those fees early on - definitely no sense in paying interest on that sum over the term of the mortgage.

On OP'ing - the sooner you start the better, and even £10 a month makes a difference. We worked on the basis initially that every time we made a saving on a bill - utilities, Sky, that sort of thing, we added the saving on to the OP - so that reduction in the water from rated to metered for example - you could divert that straight there too. we called it the "money we didn't know we had" approach on the basis that when you've been paying £40 a month for something, and suddenly get a saving dropping it to £30 a month, you didn't have that £10 in the first place so you'll not miss it! It really worked - I still have an account that a set amount goes to each month that is these very savings - we're up to somewhere about £146 a month now if I remember rightly so it really mounts up. We also diverted a proportion of any pay rises over there on the same basis.

A mortgage is definitely just another debt to be busted - no question!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£373.02
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Apr 17, 9:04 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Aww hope pusscat is soon better Rosa.

Ace work getting rid of those fees early on - definitely no sense in paying interest on that sum over the term of the mortgage.

On OP'ing - the sooner you start the better, and even £10 a month makes a difference. We worked on the basis initially that every time we made a saving on a bill - utilities, Sky, that sort of thing, we added the saving on to the OP - so that reduction in the water from rated to metered for example - you could divert that straight there too. we called it the "money we didn't know we had" approach on the basis that when you've been paying £40 a month for something, and suddenly get a saving dropping it to £30 a month, you didn't have that £10 in the first place so you'll not miss it! It really worked - I still have an account that a set amount goes to each month that is these very savings - we're up to somewhere about £146 a month now if I remember rightly so it really mounts up. We also diverted a proportion of any pay rises over there on the same basis.

A mortgage is definitely just another debt to be busted - no question!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Thanks EH

I'll think about that when I've got a bit settled and know my monthly bills. And perhaps after other things have calmed down because I've just spent a totally amount in Ikea... I know I need furniture a month ago, I know I don' t really have time to source it secondhand and upcycle... but why do glorified boxes cost so much?!!

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Belated Sunday shuffle... overall score a bit and

I've bought furniture on the credit card, and it should be covered with this month's paycheque but is technically borrowing til then. I suppose it's a good thing that I no longer like this feeling

I put together one of the small items and am very annoyed to find that it doesn't fit where I wanted it to go. I forgot to take the wider skirting boards into account. Haven't found anywhere else it can go yet so it may have to be rehomed. Really cross about this as with the bill for bumping neighbour's car that's over £400 this month that could have been better used elsewhere.

Another vet bill today but mog is doing better so hopefully this won't get to be a regular thing. I need to call up and cancel their care plans at the old vet's - will try and get that done tomorrow.

Still too many things to do in the house, so looking forward to the bank hol weekend

Rosa xx
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 10th Apr 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,339 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Congratulations on everything Rosa. It's so overwhelming, isn't it? I hope your moggy is ok. You've had so much going on that I'm not surprised you had a reverse accident. I hope you're feeling better about things now.

I like EH's money we didn't know we had plan because not only does that money go somewhere without you missing it, but overall it becomes more because you're no longer paying interest on that extra £10 or whatever it is. Great plan.

Good luck with those insurances. Do you Use the cash back sites? They offer good returns on insurance policies. If you have the time to do a bit more digging, that is.

MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Apr 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Congratulations on everything Rosa. It's so overwhelming, isn't it? I hope your moggy is ok. You've had so much going on that I'm not surprised you had a reverse accident. I hope you're feeling better about things now.

I like EH's money we didn't know we had plan because not only does that money go somewhere without you missing it, but overall it becomes more because you're no longer paying interest on that extra £10 or whatever it is. Great plan.

Good luck with those insurances. Do you Use the cash back sites? They offer good returns on insurance policies. If you have the time to do a bit more digging, that is.

MTxx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops
    Thanks MT

I didn't use cashback for insurance this time as I got a good deal with the company who now have my car, buildings and contents - very happy with their service, their renewal has been as good as online quotes and they let me be flexible with fees over moving.

Planning on using the money I don't yet know I have in this year's pay adjustments to go to cover critical illness insurance for the mortgage.. and save anything left over for overpayments

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It is almost 1 year since you became debt free and here you are in your own home. Wonderful
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-04-2017 at 9:18 AM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,800
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Apr 17, 9:14 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    It is almost 1 year since you became debt free and here you are in your own home. Wonderful
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Wow, that's a very, very good point DIA! Thank you for the reminder.

I've spent all weekend building furniture and feeling very impatient at how long it takes to get everything sorted... but also noticed how different I feel in this house. It's very light and just the right size - it's going to be gorgeous when I have it all the way I want it. And in the meantime I will try to enjoy the journey because as you say, things look a whole lot different now than they did this time last year!

I think a DF anniversary thread party will be in order

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Apr 17, 9:42 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hmmm, oops
    Well a rather belated Sunday shuffle report...

I am overspent in a few areas. I have signed up for some 'style' courses with a lovely friend of a friend, on big discounts, but it wasn't planned spend and this month has no leeway because of the neighbour's car costs and furniture. However, I do have a refund due which I have now chased up and that will cover most of the overspend. The furniture is due to be paid off the credit card on this payday, hopefully - if not, there may have to be a balance carried for a week or so.

I sorted the bedroom furniture on the weekend and am really pleased with the look of it but a bit freaked out to find that it seems to have set off my asthma. I've had the windows open all this evening and hopefully it will go off in a few days together with the chipboard smell. But it's made me aware of trying to buy real wood in future. I've also had a good tidy in the spare bedroom now that I could move some things out of it into the new wardrobe, and that now looks much better. I've got an idea what furniture I need there and things are gradually moving into piles for packing in the loft/ fleabaying. The kitchen things will be done on the weekend. So progress

I'm hoping to have a bit more time to look around for second hand furniture over the next few months and save some pennies there. Paying off the mortgage fees has saved me a whole £4 a month and I'm still thinking I want to be tweaking the mortgage just so it doesn't get comfortable

Hope everybody is OK after the back to work shock!

Rosa xx
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 19th Apr 17, 3:26 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 39,584 Thanks
    ZTD
    I am overspent in a few areas. I have signed up for some 'style' courses with a lovely friend of a friend, on big discounts,
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    What kind of style? Personal dress style? Home furnishings?

The furniture is due to be paid off the credit card on this payday, hopefully - if not, there may have to be a balance carried for a week or so.
    As a one off, that's not so bad. As a one off.

I sorted the bedroom furniture on the weekend and am really pleased with the look of it but a bit freaked out to find that it seems to have set off my asthma. I've had the windows open all this evening and hopefully it will go off in a few days together with the chipboard smell.
    Try burning a candle at nights (while in the room). A candle candle, not scented with something. Formaldehyde vapour and other organic compounds in resin may enter the flame, but will not exit it...

But it's made me aware of trying to buy real wood in future.
    Real wood is good. And if you knacker it, a bit of elbow grease with sandpaper and varnish can bring it back. Chipboard - not so much.

I'm hoping to have a bit more time to look around for second hand furniture over the next few months and save some pennies there.
    Haunt the charity shops. They often have furniture in.

Hope everybody is OK after the back to work shock!
    Not me - I'm still on holiday.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Second hand furniture will save you more than pennies. I am always shocked at the prices of new furniture. On one of the diaries a poster is paying of a loan for a sofa set that cost her £4,000!!

Also look out for shop display for big discounts too.

I say keep the house well aired until the new furniture smells have gone...

Keep enjoying your new home
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Apr 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thanks peeps

It will be much easier to look out for second hand furniture once I'm settled in. Since I still work full time I decided I needed things that will do for now, and what I got looks good and was reasonable. Time for enjoying the process as we go now that the basics are clear

Good point about the vapour Z, I did burn some frankincense incense which really helped, so was probably as much to do with the flame as with the frankincense! I'll put a plain candle up there this evening.

Small money saving things... I cancelled the cat's care plans with the previous vet, as they will now go to the one in the village. That's £20 a month back and a perfectly OK solution - I keep a savings pot for vet bills, and never used all the worming and flea stuff anyhow, I already have a stockpile. Over the next couple of weeks I need to sort out changing their insurance and also look at better deals for the mobile phone and laptop. I'm pretty sure the laptop is a crap deal as I can't remember why I took it out

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 24th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Squeaking
    Well a belated Sunday shuffle report and payday update

I have managed to cover the credit card bill, which is necessary as it all showed up this month... but with not much to spare. It means there is nothing going into the holiday and long term goals budget lines, and I have reduced others. But I think it will be OK - now that I am settled I am finally getting a little more organised and some costs will go down. I can survive without Kindle books for a month - there are boxes of real ones all over the house and besides I have been reminded about online books from the library, so will explore that . I don't think I desperately need anything clothes wise and there are more to come out of boxes for summer anyway.

It is a reminder though that although the extra costs this month didn't knock me sideways on day to day costs, they have detoured my savings plans . If it wasn't for that I would comfortably have the costs of boarding the cats over my holiday set aside, and money for some house things too. Never mind - onwards. After all, this is a very different place and mindset than where I was last year so it is all to be celebrated

No other news to report... I have been tidying the place bit by bit and am re-reading FlyLady to give me some ideas. Hoping to make a start on the garden soon too.

I hope everybody else's Mondays have been OK

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 24th Apr 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounding good over here.
    Looking forward to your DF anniversary party
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • bellevie
    • By bellevie 30th Apr 17, 7:02 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    bellevie
    Hi Rosa,

Back after some time away and I am amazed at how much has gone on for you in such a short amount of time!

Congratulations on your house purchase!!! I was shocked at how fast it all went, but it also reminded me that things happen for a reason those previous homes that didn't go through, but you have ended up with a house that you are clearly very much in love with!

I cannot wait to have that feeling, its looking likely to be end of 2019 for us....need to grit my teeth a little longer!
    2017 Savings target
    April....35%
    May....46%
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th May 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I hate to sound like your social secretary but the invites for the DF party are due...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th May 17, 10:51 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 39,584 Thanks
    ZTD
    I decided to give this budgeting lark a go. I've put every transaction over the past month in.

You have the patience of Job.

It has taken me from about 9pm to about now to do it - just about the longest fortnights of my life...

God help those with complicated finances...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 7th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 8,079 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I decided to give this budgeting lark a go. I've put every transaction over the past month in.

You have the patience of Job.

It has taken me from about 9pm to about now to do it - just about the longest fortnights of my life...

God help those with complicated finances...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    it gets easier, honest...

My in-my-head tracker can't be trusted so I need a different one to avoid disaster!

Rosa xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,074Users online

Martin's Twitter