Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,036Posts
    • 7,558Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
Page 63
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 29th Sep 16, 12:40 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello lovely,

You always sound so level headed and in control. It's lovely to know you're getting so busy doing good things on the weekend that you catch up on chores during the week. I think I need to start doing the nastier jobs in the week so the weekends are a bit more productive.

MTxx
    Credit Card Debt: £740.22 - Almost there!!!
    ======================
    Savings: £10,032.64

Pot of Gold = £9292.42
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Sep 16, 8:15 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Having just returned from a 3 week break and feeling blue, I think there's a lot to be said for short breaks/long weekends. Less adjusting to a normal working pattern again. As you say, a day out and some chill time. Sounds good to me
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA

I may end up taking the week after all, as I've just found a seminar I want to go to. But either way will work.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 30th Sep 16, 8:23 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hello lovely,

You always sound so level headed and in control. It's lovely to know you're getting so busy doing good things on the weekend that you catch up on chores during the week. I think I need to start doing the nastier jobs in the week so the weekends are a bit more productive.

MTxx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops
    Thanks MT, although I'm not sure level-headed is the way I'm most often described

It's a lovely change for me to be wanting my weekends clear, as before they've got all muddled up with studying and haven't felt very different to during the week. Now that's all done, I find I'm really looking forward to full days off and I don't want to complicate them by fitting in chores. So I'm going to try and come up with a FlyLady routine that will keep things clear in a half hour or so of chores on weeknights. I know when I had everything decluttered and sorted before, I could get cleaning done in about 2 hours a week, and I already have things fairly well organised for laundry. My food shopping and meal planning is a whole other story, but that can be dealt with next!

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I agree Rosa. I am trying to protect the 2 days I have off too. I think the key is doing the drudge jobs on working days. Flylady is something I'm still getting to grips with. I at least keep to the kitchen clean/sink shiny part and it's helped hugely
    Hope you are out doing fun saturday stuff
    DIA x
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 2nd Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I agree Rosa. I am trying to protect the 2 days I have off too. I think the key is doing the drudge jobs on working days. Flylady is something I'm still getting to grips with. I at least keep to the kitchen clean/sink shiny part and it's helped hugely
    Hope you are out doing fun saturday stuff
    DIA x
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA

It makes a difference having even a little time when you know you don't have to feel 'I should be doing drudgery' doesn't it? I completely agree about having 'working' days.

I haven't managed it this weekend, as I've had some chores to include, but I have been out with friends and shopping so it's at least been balanced out.

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 2nd Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sunday shuffle time again already! It's working well for me to have this set point in the week to have a catch-up. I update YNAB, check all my accounts and review my budget. Because I know I now do this every week, I don't worry about dipping in and out of it the rest of the time. When I remember I put my transactions straight into the YNAB phone app, but otherwise it all gets done together.

Everything's still on track so far, and I have an expenses payment and a repayment from a friend due which will up the money available. It's taken me a long time to get used to the new YNAB's strict policy on 'can't spend what you don't have' - neither of these payments could be reflected in my available income as they haven't happened yet. Which I guess is as it should be, because this way I've had to work my budget without them and can 'roll with the punches' and adjust things later in the month. (There should probably be an expression for the nice alternative to punches. Presents? ) Currently the Age of Money is showing at 38 days, which I think is probably a near record for me.

So nothing much to report really . I've adjusted my budget so that all my books, music and movies are in one category instead of separately, as I figured it's not likely I really need to review them separately. This was the main change I made when I moved to the new YNAB, I made several categories more high level as I found I was tracking things in unnecessary detail. I really like that this doesn't panic YNAB - it just points out that deleting the old categories will mean things need to be recategorised, and asks where it should put them so that you can choose the new one. Beautifully simple .

Definitely need a day out shopping for winter clothes as the boots I bought online went straight back - the colour was nothing like it was described or looked on screen! I'm still reading the Be Less With More articles about clothes, and wondering if I can be a bit more organised, but I don't think I'm up for the full Project 333 just yet! http://bemorewithless.com/project-333/

Hope everybody's weekends have been good and that Monday is kind to us all!

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 02-10-2016 at 7:58 PM.
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 3rd Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Isn't YNAB beautifully simple? I think I even understand the credit card section, although I try not to use credit cards much so maybe that's why it makes a bit of sense to me?

Happy winter clothes shopping. What a shame those boots were so different. My feet seem to be a funny shape so I can't often get boots online as I need to try them on in the shop. Although, I do that, go home and then order online using Quidco for the cashback!

Happy new week. MTxx
    Credit Card Debt: £740.22 - Almost there!!!
    ======================
    Savings: £10,032.64

Pot of Gold = £9292.42
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 6th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Project 333 lol. I don't even think I have 33 items of clothing to wear in 3 months. I really need a wardrobe update next year when the finances are a bit better.

I think I might have to maybe give up on YNAB for a while. I am getting the hang of it but I never remember to update it, unlike my spreadsheet where I am on there several times a day lol.

Tink xx
    LBM 11/08/15 - Total Debt Owing:- £10338.89 01/11/16 - £13996.57
    DEBT 1 = £179.53/£35.60 DEBT 2 = £1181.80 DEBT 3 = £253.38
    DEBT 4 = £725.02 DEBT 5 = £166.10 DEBT 6 £1065.66
    DEBT 7 = £1324.59 DEBT 8 = £6325.00 DEBT 9 £2774.49
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Wow, Sunday shuffle again and I haven't really been on since the last one! My focus is definitely shifting.

It's been a bit of a mad week - working off site Tuesday, Wednesday a friend came to stay and through all of it I have been chasing up forms and things about the new work. That's finally sorted which is just as well, it makes things much simpler for the conference next weekend.

I did a yoga workshop yesterday but was great but the church hall floor was SO dusty it really made me wheeze. I think I've averted bronchitis today but feeling a bit groggy so not been doing much. I have the week off now, except for one morning where I agreed to still go in and help at an event, so looking forward to it. The flat is still a bit messy and I will try and get a few things a bit more sorted. However I'm so fed up of looking at the 3bay pile I think I'm just going to take it to the charity shop. Most of what's on there has been listed at least once and not sold so it won't go for much and I would like to have the clear space in the flat again.

I'm doing better at food shopping - or perhaps I should just say not wasting food, as I can't really dignify this by saying I have much of a plan yet! I've been picking up fresh veg etc at lunchtimes or in the corner shop instead of stocking up every week and not using it, which is good for both the planet and my budget.

I've also started to make more use of my Prime subscription by watching movies, it's really convenient to be able to just pick them on the spot and pause when I want to go make dinner! Although I guess that's not helping with the unread books pile

Moneywise all is well, running to budget and have another £50 due in. I've just had a request for a meter reading from the electricity company which has the potential to be a nasty shock but will just have to see. I do have presents to buy, but they're covered by the gifts pot. Only two weeks to payday and I'm hoping there might be a bit left over in some pots so that I can add to the house deposit and buffer fund. Oh, and Age of Money now at a record 43 days

Hope everyone's having a good weekend

Rosa xx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wow, loving the age of your money. I know your focus is shifting but I am here for another 14 months at the least so keep posting please as I need the inspiration

I know what you mean about yoga floors. Yuk! It puts me off yoga. It has come to something when I would seriously consider tai chi just so I can do it standing

Have good week
    DIA x
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 10th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    You can always give ebay one more shot, we are getting nearer to Christmas now. I actually took photos of everything last night so one step in the right direction.

Age of money sounds brilliant, does that mean you are one paycheck ahead on YNAB now?

Tink xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    You can always give ebay one more shot, we are getting nearer to Christmas now. I actually took photos of everything last night so one step in the right direction.

Age of money sounds brilliant, does that mean you are one paycheck ahead on YNAB now?

Tink xx
    Originally posted by Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi Tink

I suppose so, but that also means I have more stuff to organise! Plus I am wondering about wearing one of the dresses for a night out later this week, so it might just stay after all

Yes, I think the Age of Money means things are staying in my bank account for that long. I don't really feel a paycheque ahead though, as I use my paycheque at the end of the month to pay for rent that covers the last couple of days of the same month, then other costs in the next month. I have dithered about saving up the rent in advance but it feels better to be putting it in a buffer fund and perhaps eventually I will move it over.

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Oct 16, 5:39 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Well I would just like to say HURRAH for helpful geeks on the internet.

My printer packed up last night and gave me one of those totally non helpful messages - error blah blah, contact service centre' even after I'd switched it off and on and fiddled with the cartridges etc. After one google and on the second forum answer I read, somebody gave a solution to reset it. It's now working again, I have run the cleaning program which should hopefully avoid the error happening again - not that there was any warning that cleaning needed doing, and I only learnt what the error related to from the first forum - and hopefully that has avoided both me spending £150 and a whole printer going to waste with all its plastic etc.

So thank you tech forum angels

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Oct 16, 12:30 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I may have spoken too soon with the printer but will try it again tomorrow.

On the bright side, I have done various little bits of tidying that were overdue and packed up two 3bay sales - one can go tomorrow, the other is still awaiting payment. The third item I thought I'd listed doesn't seem to have gone up and I've decided to keep it for now as I do like it, just hadn't been wearing it. £12.50 in the bank and more if the other sale pays up

I also put two LKB dresses back from the 3bay pile into the cupboard as they may do for winter and I am short on options for now - will see and if I still don't wear them they can be sold. Three more have gone in the charity bag, unfortunately including the LKB that I never did get round to complaining to the seller about - never mind, too late, move on! This has reduced the stack a bit, but I still need to decide what to do about the suits - they will probably also end up at the charity shop.

I bought a gift for a friend which is way over budget but... you know how it goes... it was buy the one she will really like and be happy about it, and count my next ShopandScan 4mazon voucher as having contributed to that, or buy something cheaper and always be annoyed it wasn't quite right. So that's sorted. The gifts pot is going to need a top up before Christmas as I have two birthdays to buy for this month, in fact I must shop for them tomorrow. But as I've no major spends before then - hopefully, as all the new work expenses should now be done with - that should be OK, there should be spare in the Oct and Nov paycheques.

So still looking OK and pleased that I have both the flexibility to splash out where it helps and the focus to do at least some £baying!

Rosa xx
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 14th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Evening flower - My laptop has a life of its own so I guess it would be a good soul mate for that printer of yours.

Great news on the 3bay

Happy weekend - mine will be full of cleaning and clearing

Sam xx
    2016 Savings pot £3500 Health pot £100 In Credit on CC £40 Eating Out Vouchers £50

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Evening flower - My laptop has a life of its own so I guess it would be a good soul mate for that printer of yours.

Great news on the 3bay

Happy weekend - mine will be full of cleaning and clearing

Sam xx
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Let's introduce them and send them off into the sunset together!

My weekend was away which means I must now face the cleaning I didn't do and a belated Sunday shuffle will be coming up.

Rosa xx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Tuesday shuffle
    YNAB updated and belated shopnscan sent in (missed out on the till receipts points, but got the weekly).

I am about £60 over budget on new business expenses as I ordered a textbook and because I remembered to allocate travel costs to this instead of general spending! But under budget on groceries so can probably make it up. It's only a week to payday and I have no other commitments for next month so it can come out of that if necessary.

Bought a couple of things on 3bay but still haven't really sorted winter wardrobe - managing so far and hoping to do a bit of organising on the weekend. I've also managed to still keep grocery costs down by thinking through what I need and either using what's at home or just topping up instead of having a full supermarket raid. Though I do need to do one of those tomorrow!

So just plodding I guess, but plodding happily in the right direction

Rosa xx
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 18th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Sounds like positive plodding though Rosa.

I tried this week to only buy essentials as I wanted to use up what is in my freezer but that didn't go to plan. Still on budget but was hoping to halve it lol.

Tink xx
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 23rd Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam

Bought a couple of things on 3bay but still haven't really sorted winter wardrobe - managing so far and hoping to do a bit of organising on the weekend.

I've also managed to still keep grocery costs down by thinking through what I need and either using what's at home or just topping up instead of having a full supermarket raid. Though I do need to do one of those tomorrow!

So just plodding I guess, but plodding happily in the right direction

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia

Snap, Me too - very of us

Sam x x
    2016 Savings pot £3500 Health pot £100 In Credit on CC £40 Eating Out Vouchers £50

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 23rd Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 7,558 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    *high fives Sam *

Super quick Sunday shuffle report - all OK. A friend very kindly treated me to a theatre ticket I was expecting to pay for, and a book has sold on 4mazon after about 2 years so that's evened out a little extra spending on movies and the new business. I have even managed to leave my holiday and house deposit pots alone so pleased with that. And my shopping has been better organised as I have at least not been throwing away fresh veg, even if I have been eating shop bought soups and occasional ready meals.

No major spending planned for next month, though I will probably need to top up the gifts pot for Christmas - I bought a couple of spontaneous gifts for friends who needed something to raise a smile, which I love being able to do but hadn't really taken into account in the budget. I'll review my own online wish list and will ask friends and family to do the same.

Payday shortly so will go through everything then and set my budget for November. How did it get here so fast?!

Rosa xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter