Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 12
    • farenheit
    • By farenheit 28th Sep 16, 9:19 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farenheit
    I have read it but this is my first time addressing a corporation, so kinda nervous I don't "botch" up the response 😊
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 28th Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    111KAB
    Well if you are worried regarding the initial letter then may I respectfully suggest you use a NWNF and at least recover around 70% of what is due to you.
    • farenheit
    • By farenheit 17th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farenheit
    Ok.. after some two'ing and fro'ing i have had success!
    Can some one please clarify how to get around this "power of attorney"? they are referring to in order for me to receive my partners compensation.
    With regards to the telephone calls, i do not have receipts and do not care for their reimbursements. I am right in thinking i can ignore that bit?
    Also i believe i would be better off in receiving euros instead of their conversion into sterling?

This is the response i got:

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your reply dated dd/mm/yyyy. We are sorry that our email does not meet your expectations. It was certainly not our intention to upset you further.

As we mentioned, Lufthansa flight LH957 from A to B on dd/mm/yyyy was delayed due to an unforeseen technical defect on the aircraft and we do not want to compromise the safety of our passengers just to take them to their final destination on time. We hope for your understanding of our position in this matter.

In this particular case we consider it possible to exonerate ourselves from liability, but we will be pleased to exceptionally offer gesture of goodwill in this instance. Nonetheless, we will refrain from applying and providing proof of exoneration and will therefore pay you in the amount of EUR400 equivalent to GBP345.43 each passenger. We hope this gesture of goodwill will help to alleviate your disappointment.

We also regret to learn that you were not advised of the passenger’s rights after the announcement of the flight disruption. Rest assured that your comment will be forwarded to our Station Manager at Birmingham Airport in order to prevent similar incidents occurring in the future and to make adjustments where necessary.

You and your companions, of course, are entitled to adequate care and support in this case. We are very sorry if you were not provided sufficient assistance at the time. We will be pleased to consider reimbursement of your expenses. In order for us to do so, please send us the corresponding receipts for your two phone calls along with your complete bank details including the bank name and address, bank account number and bank code, together with your postal address connected to your account.

However, please be advised that privacy is an important issue. Following data security regulations, we are only able to assist you with Ms Y's claim if we have a power of attorney available, signed by her. We hope you can understand our decision. As soon as we have received the power of attorney, we will be happy to assist you in this regard.

Once we receive the said power of attorney and phone call receipts together with your bank details, we will contact you again. Please forward the requested information at your earliest convenience, quoting your reference number: Feedback ID xxxxxxxx. We look forward to hearing from you soon and settling this matter to your satisfaction.

Sincerely,
    • JPears
    • By JPears 17th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    JPears
    Just send a letter back from your wife stating something like " I give permission for my husband to act on my behalf, including receipt of any payments with regards to any compensation/damages claim" Signed.
    They are procrastinating and !!!!ing you around. As can be seen from their wording, they are going to pay you but without admission of liabilty. Probably best to accept that compromise.
    They are being wholly disingenuous with the exchange rate. If you have an account that will accept euros, then do so. You should be in the region of £362.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • farenheit
    • By farenheit 17th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    farenheit
    Can i have euros transferred to a uk sterling account? I just checked my banks conversion rate and it is closer to 360 than 345! lol
    Also can i ask for it to be payed in euros?

Thanks all.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 17th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    JPears
    You need to check with bank. I assume you would be able to insist on a payment in euros. Or insist Lufthansa pay you at the correct conversion rate!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tojo Ralph
    • By Tojo Ralph 18th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 12,218 Thanks
    Tojo Ralph
    Quick question regards a Lufthansa flight that resulted in a relative being delayed 5 Hrs and which they have asked my advice. In a nutshell, Lufthansa (and only Lufthansa) had systems issues at check in meaning all passengers were required to check in manually. This resulted in an almost 6 hour delay which is not contested.

Lufthansa have responded to the claim advising that ..... "Based on our records, Lufthansa flight LHXXXX on XXXXXXX 2016 was delayed due to local network failure, which is a third party responsibility. Kindly be advised that airlines do not own any airport facilities. Furthermore, we, as an airline, use other companies' services at airports, and are not responsible for actions or incidents made by third parties. In this case, we have an obligation to transport our passengers to their destinationas soon as possible. We trust you will appreciate that our ability to resolve these situations is subject to availability on alternative flights, and that such bookings are made in good faith. We were glad to note that you were rebooked on the same day to XXXXXXXX to XXXXXXX, since it was the best option to bring you to your destination at that time. As the reason of the delay is a third party issue, Lufthansa would like to exonerate in terms of compensation on this occasion. We appreciate your understanding that blah, blah, blah."

I am therefore looking for advise as to whether this is a valid reason to decline or not?

As I say, Lufthansa were the only airline that were impacted and if they can decline based on their not owning the service they provide, then surely if a leased plane is delayed then they can absolve themselves of any issue also?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 18th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    111KAB
    Tojo Ralph - compensation due as delay caused by third party who are responsible to Lufthansa (and hence you) was in excess of 3 hours. Vauban's Guide is your friend but Court action (either DIY or NWNF) may be required. Article 13 of the relevant law 261/2004 refers and there are precedent cases.
    • Tojo Ralph
    • By Tojo Ralph 18th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 12,218 Thanks
    Tojo Ralph
    Tojo Ralph - compensation due as delay caused by third party who are responsible to Lufthansa (and hence you) was in excess of 3 hours. Vauban's Guide is your friend but Court action (either DIY or NWNF) may be required. Article 13 of the relevant law 261/2004 refers and there are precedent cases.
    Originally posted by 111KAB

Thanks .... And as I now have pointers, I will read the guide to research some more.
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
    • fluffy123
    • By fluffy123 31st Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    fluffy123
    Thanks - I've contacted Sop with all of the information detailed so far so will see what they say. Apparently it can take 14 days and all future correspondence will be in German so it could get more interesting!
    Originally posted by fluffy123

Okay, just to update on this....After a bit of a wait, SOP contacted myself back three weeks later with an email in German. Thankfully, it was good news as they had found in my favour and confirmed that Lufthansa were prepared to make full payment for the entitled amount.

I then re-contacted LH and whilst having to wait nearly four weeks for it, received the full 1200EUR payment today. So, SOP were useful although the process was quite slow and had a few times of worrying that the delay was due to either SOP or LH getting cold feet.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 31st Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Fluffy123,

Well done and thanks for updating us.

Your claim shows that this system works and offers EU261 passengers an alternative option when claiming compensation.

Shame it's all in German, but with Google translate and the like it's not too much of a problem.

You have received the full compensation amount without any risk or costs to yourself and it's quicker than the MCOL route.

A good result.

Tyzap.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

3,764Users online

Martin's Twitter