Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Aqua Card credit increase... (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Aqua Card credit increase...
Views: 12,689
# 41
OllyM
Old 21-02-2013, 6:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I really don't think leaving a card with a £250 limit open will make any difference to your chances of being accepted for an Amex card. I'm 99% sure you'll have to keep it open until your anniversary to get the cashback anyway. Oh and by the way, the Everyday (fee free) card is being pulled at the end of the month so good luck applying in July
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to OllyM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
izools
Old 21-02-2013, 6:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Oh balls

How did you find out about that?
Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
# 43
OllyM
Old 21-02-2013, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by izools View Post
Oh balls

How did you find out about that?
It's mentioned on the main site - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cre...k-credit-cards

Quote:
Apply by 28 February 2013 if you want this card, as it won't be available after.
I open new cards all the time when deals appear and have been approved for every Amex card I've applied for over the years (SPG, BA, Platinum Charge, Gold Charge, Platinum Cashback Credit).
The Following User Says Thank You to OllyM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
izools
Old 21-02-2013, 6:41 PM

Unfortunately I can't apply now as according to my credit files I have high balances on all my cards and they won't update to show £0 owed until March. That and I have half a dozen searches in the last six months.

I'll just have to see what the best on the market come July is.

The most important thing for me however is to get as high a limit as possible on an MBNA rate for life card. Once I've got that - and I'm definitely waiting until July before applying - I'll look at the cashback card market and see what's what

Thanks for the link though, most informative. If disappointing

EDIT: Yep, definitely not applying for anything at the moment:

Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48

Last edited by izools; 21-02-2013 at 6:46 PM.
# 45
Wywth
Old 28-03-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew57 View Post
I started on £500 and asked to be increased to £1000. They rose it to £650 (was expecting £750 but it still helps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierfella View Post
Exactly the same result for me this week - 500 to 650 after a 1000 request. I guess this suggests that this is the standard minimum increase from 500. As it happens the 650 is really not much more use to me as the one-off 500+ transactions I'd like to put on the card easily exceed 650.

Still useful to know that they will approve increases of some sort after 6 months - I" waiting to see if they did a fresh credit search or just based it on account conduct.
Same here.

Had a £500 limit, (Aqua Reward) and as 6 months had passed since opening the account, asked for £1500 using their online request.

Was given a £650 new limit
# 46
spinningsheep
Old 12-04-2013, 9:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have had my card since end of Feb and was given a £250 limit, came home today to a letter increasing it to £600. Have paid balance in full each month, so happy bunny.
# 47
guesswho2000
Old 12-04-2013, 9:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningsheep View Post
I have had my card since end of Feb and was given a £250 limit, came home today to a letter increasing it to £600. Have paid balance in full each month, so happy bunny.
As in Feb 2013? If so, that's encouraging, as they gave me the same terrible limit and it's a pain having to make mid month payments to be able to keep using it

EDIT: Just logged in, and wow they don't give you long to pay do they! Statement today and payment's due in two weeks!

Last edited by guesswho2000; 12-04-2013 at 9:07 PM.
# 48
TheGenerus1
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningsheep View Post
Credit limit increase one and a half months after account opening, I'd contact Guinness book of records if I were you
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGenerus1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
Herbalus
Old 13-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho2000 View Post
EDIT: Just logged in, and wow they don't give you long to pay do they! Statement today and payment's due in two weeks!
I have a direct debit so I don't mind this. Also, it means you don't have to manually pay off the card as much to free up your limit.

The limit increases on here are a bit unusual to say the least - I'd guess you were given the wrong limit in the first place. I have had the same treatment as a lot of others on the forums: £250 limit increased to £350 by request after 6 months (was told on the phone not available before that), and they said at the time of this increase that the next review will be 4 months after that.
# 50
spinningsheep
Old 14-04-2013, 6:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

yes as in Feb 2013! I was as shocked as anyone but sure as life, on my online account, the limit now shows as £600 with £495 available credit. Sure dont need £600 at the moment but handy just in case! Also noticed my 2 JDWilliams catalogue accounts are now £1000/£1200 from £500 last week, so I'm guessing my score is improving somewhat!
# 51
TheEffect
Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Sorry to bump this, but thought I'd post my experience with Aqua.

£250 start limit (classic card), £500 after few months. I got higher limit with CapOne so asked to close Aqua card. Next day received letter stating limit was going from £500 to £1400 in the next few weeks. It was a delayed letter and had been posted before I asked to close my account.

Was quite gutted. Phoned and asked to stop closure. They've agreed and sent out new card as I destroyed mine.

So far, Aqua limit increases have been quite frequent (even though I haven't had the card long) and their customer service I've always found quite good. I also find their near instant faster payments great.

Last edited by TheEffect; 02-08-2013 at 10:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEffect For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
simax
Old 03-08-2013, 9:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Had account since Feb - £250 limit - only used for 3% cashback and have been known to turn over £600-700 a month on it by making interim payments. (Low limit is a bit daft really as I have other cards with limits in their thousands). Always paid in full, no late payments. Also no limit increase LOL!!

If they ever withdraw the cashback offer, I'm gone. I have other cards I can use that offer cashback (just not as good the Aqua card)....
I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
# 53
PC Doctor
Old 06-08-2013, 7:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Got a Aqua card in March this year with a £250 limit got a letter 3 weeks ago telling me they have increased my limit to £1200 it will be active within 40 days is this normal?
# 54
guesswho2000
Old 06-08-2013, 7:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They're not stupid, clearly. They know which of us are exploiting it for cashback, and I expect are holding us on lower limits in the hope we exceed the limit and forfeit the cashback; meanwhile, others have their limits increased, in the hope they'll carry a large balance and pay a fortune in interest.

Not really an issue I suppose, just really annoying. I haven't had to monitor my balance in relation to limit for a long time, but every time I swipe the Aqua I have to be aware of it!

I got mine on £250 back in Feb. Still £250. Don't see them increasing it anytime soon! Funny thing is, back in the day, I had an Aqua CC (when they only offered one) with a £3,050 limit!
# 55
Wywth
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho2000 View Post
They're not stupid, clearly. They know which of us are exploiting it for cashback,...
Yes, those of us who have got an Aqua Reward card

Aqua issue various other cards, but I see so many people are not saying which specific Aqua card they have which is what is causing confusion I think.
# 56
spinningsheep
Old 08-08-2013, 9:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi all. Another letter arrived today, increase to £1400!

So I have gone from £250 to £1400 in 6 months. I have the standard card (34.9%APR) and I repay ALMOST my full balance each month (eg balance is £400, repay £360 by faster payment on bank transfer day before statement produced) and I repay minimum payment by DD later in month. I find this way I have incurred a small amount of interest and Aqua like me as I am making them money. Win win for me!

Also have a Shout visa (was RISE) which has just been increased from £200 to £300, had letter yesterday also!
# 57
samtoby
Old 08-08-2013, 9:53 AM

I took this card out in Jan and had a raise in April from £250 to £500.

I have actively used it but I hope for a bigger limit as I have a different card with a 3k limit.
DS 18.06.2004 --2013-- 2.05.2014
MFiT-T3 No.88 - Start:£110,920.00 Dec '12 Balance Dec '13 £106,550.28
Sealed pot challenge number - 261
£0/ £4,533.47 0% 28th April 2014
4kw Solar PV system with Immersun
# 58
ohiogirl
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Doctor View Post
Got a Aqua card in March this year with a £250 limit got a letter 3 weeks ago telling me they have increased my limit to £1200 it will be active within 40 days is this normal?
I have one of these. had a 250 limit three years ago and now have a 2500 limit. Pay on time, don't overuse and it is a good card, especially if, like me, you had credit problems in the past.
# 59
wizzywig27
Old 08-08-2013, 8:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by izools View Post
Unfortunately I can't apply now as according to my credit files I have high balances on all my cards and they won't update to show £0 owed until March. That and I have half a dozen searches in the last six months.

I'll just have to see what the best on the market come July is.

The most important thing for me however is to get as high a limit as possible on an MBNA rate for life card. Once I've got that - and I'm definitely waiting until July before applying - I'll look at the cashback card market and see what's what

Thanks for the link though, most informative. If disappointing

EDIT: Yep, definitely not applying for anything at the moment:

Trust me, ignore this tripe, it gave me 30% chance of getting both Halifax and Sygma card, and guess what, I got them both!
# 60
Dovah_diva
Old 08-08-2013, 8:51 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've had an Aqua Reward card for just under a year. Limit is £250 and I've been rejected for an increase. No idea why, I use the card and pay it off i full every month. Maybe because I've not set up a DD? Whatever, I've now got a Barclaycard Initial which is interest free until November so I might wait until I get my cashback and then close it. Not sure. Wish I could set up a DD online...