Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 36
    • JPears
    • By JPears 20th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    Hi, I had a flight delay from Amsterdam to Heathrow on the 14th of June. I applied for compensation and received an electronic EMD voucher on the 5th July. I immediately submitted a refund request asking for a cash refund. I haven't heard from KLM since, does anyone know how long it typically takes for them to pay the compensation after submitting the refund request?
    Originally posted by joshuawood
    Forever if you let them string you along. Send another letter marking it as an NBA, give 14 days for payment , then time for legal action to be taken.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • photome
    • By photome 21st Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    • 12,675 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    photome
    Hi, I had a flight delay from Amsterdam to Heathrow on the 14th of June. I applied for compensation and received an electronic EMD voucher on the 5th July. I immediately submitted a refund request asking for a cash refund. I haven't heard from KLM since, does anyone know how long it typically takes for them to pay the compensation after submitting the refund request?
    Originally posted by joshuawood
    I have had many dealings with KLM (fighting a claim at the mo) but the quickest way to get a response from them is via facebook, I have found that they take forever to respond to emails
    • meg00
    • By meg00 3rd Aug 17, 12:55 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    meg00
    JPears,

"Have a look at this link showing all the departures/landings at Amsterdam that day.
    http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/?date=2017-04-05&group=hourdep"

Thanks very much for posting this link. It has helped me find some details for my claim, which I shall be posting about later!
    • meg00
    • By meg00 3rd Aug 17, 1:29 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    meg00
    KLM response to request for flight compensation
    "Flight: KL960/15MAY

Dear xxx

We write further to your recent message from July 24th 2017 regarding the cancellation of your flight and your delayed arrival at your final destination and we want to offer you and Mr xxx our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.
    Our airline takes great pride in its record of maintaining a reliable scheduled service to all the destinations that we serve. The ability to adhere to a published schedule is an important ingredient of any airline product. The cancellation of a flight, however rare, is therefore a major frustration to our aim of providing passengers with the reliable service they demand and we acknowledge the difficulty of your situation and regret the complications to your journey.

Despite our best efforts there are sometimes occasions when we cannot operate a flight as originally scheduled, in this instance our records show, that your flight KL960 on May 15th from Newcastle to Amsterdam was cancelled. Subsequently you were rebooked on the next available flight for the next day and arrived at your final destination with a considerable delay. We regret the difficulties you encountered and the change to your travel plans.

Regarding the pre-paid hotel expenses you have had please note that our duty of care is limited to re-booking you onto a next available flight to your final destination or a refund of the unused ticket segments. As we have fulfilled our obligations and transported you to your final destination we regret but cannot agree to refund any expenses, that were not arranged by us.

Your disappointment in this instance is understandable and we wish to offer you our renewed apology for the inconvenience the change of your travel plans caused on this occasion hoping, you will be able in the near future to give KLM another opportunity to meet your travel needs and to provide you with the service that you expect, both on the ground and in the air."

Cancelled flight Ncle>Amsterdam meant we arrived a full 24 hours late into Salt Lake, costing us a nights hotel fee ($125). There is no mention of the compensation for delayed flights in their response. The reason for cancellation was "operational reasons". Have they 'fulfilled their obligations'???
    Thanks,
    Meg.
    • lilykate5
    • By lilykate5 3rd Aug 17, 1:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lilykate5
    Fight cancellation compansation
    Our flight home from Paris to Edinburgh on 15 July was cancelled due to air france pilot strikes. We had to rearrange our flight for next day and pay for a hotel for the night.

I have sent my information to Air France along with receipts for meal and accommodation and they have offered €250 per member of our family. From reading this sight it appears we may be entitled to more however I was also under the impression we may get nothing as it was their pilots on strike.

Should I go back asking for more?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Aug 17, 1:57 PM
    • 10,780 Posts
    • 7,022 Thanks
    Caz3121
    €250 per person is the correct amount of compensation for that distance
    You should also be entitled to Duty of Care which would include reimbursement for the hotel and meals whilst waiting for the next flight
    It is possible that different departments deal with the compensation and the reimbursement...maybe contact them to confirm
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Aug 17, 3:43 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    "Flight: KL960/15MAY

Dear xxx

We write further to your recent message from July 24th 2017 regarding the cancellation of your flight and your delayed arrival at your final destination and we want to offer you and Mr xxx our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.
    Our airline takes great pride in its record of maintaining a reliable scheduled service to all the destinations that we serve. The ability to adhere to a published schedule is an important ingredient of any airline product. The cancellation of a flight, however rare, is therefore a major frustration to our aim of providing passengers with the reliable service they demand and we acknowledge the difficulty of your situation and regret the complications to your journey.

Despite our best efforts there are sometimes occasions when we cannot operate a flight as originally scheduled, in this instance our records show, that your flight KL960 on May 15th from Newcastle to Amsterdam was cancelled. Subsequently you were rebooked on the next available flight for the next day and arrived at your final destination with a considerable delay. We regret the difficulties you encountered and the change to your travel plans.

Regarding the pre-paid hotel expenses you have had please note that our duty of care is limited to re-booking you onto a next available flight to your final destination or a refund of the unused ticket segments. As we have fulfilled our obligations and transported you to your final destination we regret but cannot agree to refund any expenses, that were not arranged by us.

Your disappointment in this instance is understandable and we wish to offer you our renewed apology for the inconvenience the change of your travel plans caused on this occasion hoping, you will be able in the near future to give KLM another opportunity to meet your travel needs and to provide you with the service that you expect, both on the ground and in the air."

Cancelled flight Ncle>Amsterdam meant we arrived a full 24 hours late into Salt Lake, costing us a nights hotel fee ($125). There is no mention of the compensation for delayed flights in their response. The reason for cancellation was "operational reasons". Have they 'fulfilled their obligations'???
    Thanks,
    Meg.
    Originally posted by meg00
    They have cleverly worded it so that they have been neutral about the compensation due under reg 261/2004. ie not mentioned it as such. You need to press them on payment of this asap as clearly it is due.
    If not already done so, you need to submit a final letter demanding payment and marked as an NBA or LBA. Then start court papers if no response or payment.
    Check if KLM are linked with any ADR scheme, as these will sometimes award additional expenses/losses incurred, outside of reg 261/2004.

• meg00
    • By meg00 3rd Aug 17, 4:08 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    meg00
    JPears,
    Thanks.
    I did mail them straight back reminding them about the compensation aspect - no response so far!.

I will keep chasing.
    Meg.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Aug 17, 4:10 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    KLM is party to the Aviation ADR
    Link:
    https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/how-to-complain-about/airline-complaints/

• Mo2CCs
    • By Mo2CCs 3rd Aug 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mo2CCs
    Help Please of what to do
    Hello
    This is the first time (luckily) i have had to do this but wanted some advise of what to claim for
    trip included 2 flights
    Original flight was delayed so the connection to final destination was missed.
    I was transferred to another flight from different airport (food voucher and transfer voucher included)
    this flight was then delayed and then cancelled.
    Due to the limited flight availability i was then flown to another airport nearer to destination and had a 3 hour coach to final destination.
    original ETA was 1430 - actually arrived 2345

I guess i should claim for delayed arrival even though there was a cancellation ?

any advice greatly recd.
    thank you
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Aug 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    It matters not, to an extent, although delay is probably your better choice. Of course it depends on the reasons for various delays/cancellations.
    Can you give us far more details please - dates, times departure/destinations and other airports involved?
    Thanks

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 3rd Aug 17, 4:30 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hello
    This is the first time (luckily) i have had to do this but wanted some advise of what to claim for
    trip included 2 flights
    Original flight was delayed so the connection to final destination was missed.
    I was transferred to another flight from different airport (food voucher and transfer voucher included)
    this flight was then delayed and then cancelled.
    Due to the limited flight availability i was then flown to another airport nearer to destination and had a 3 hour coach to final destination.
    original ETA was 1430 - actually arrived 2345

I guess i should claim for delayed arrival even though there was a cancellation ?

any advice greatly recd.
    thank you
    Originally posted by Mo2CCs
    Hi Mo2CCs,

Put in a claim and see what happens.

You're probably due compensation but without more detail it's hard to say for certain.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • OohSoHolly
    • By OohSoHolly 18th Aug 17, 7:54 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    OohSoHolly
    Our flight home from Paris to Edinburgh on 15 July was cancelled due to air france pilot strikes. We had to rearrange our flight for next day and pay for a hotel for the night.

I have sent my information to Air France along with receipts for meal and accommodation and they have offered €250 per member of our family. From reading this sight it appears we may be entitled to more however I was also under the impression we may get nothing as it was their pilots on strike.

Should I go back asking for more?
    Originally posted by lilykate5
    We were in exactly the same situation flying on the 14th july and our flight was cancelled due to the strikes. I tried through Resolver but had no luck so far, I wondered if you wouldn't mind posting/messaging me the email you sent (minus your personal info!) and I'll contact them direct I think.

Thanks in Advance.
    [I'm Here to Money Save... Are you?]
    • OohSoHolly
    • By OohSoHolly 24th Aug 17, 1:12 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    OohSoHolly
    Hello All,

Just to update I emailed Air France direct and received a response last night.

We had our flight cancelled from Ljubljana to Paris en route home to Manchester and we have been offered the following:

€250 per passenger
    The cost of the hotel for our overnight stay.

Does this seem correct. I get the impression they've done the distance from Ljubljana to Paris CDG rather than the full distance back to Manchester.

Thanks in Advance
    [I'm Here to Money Save... Are you?]
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 24th Aug 17, 1:30 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    Vauban
    Hello All,

Just to update I emailed Air France direct and received a response last night.

We had our flight cancelled from Ljubljana to Paris en route home to Manchester and we have been offered the following:

€250 per passenger
    The cost of the hotel for our overnight stay.

Does this seem correct. I get the impression they've done the distance from Ljubljana to Paris CDG rather than the full distance back to Manchester.

Thanks in Advance
    Originally posted by OohSoHolly
    By great circle route, it's 1437 km. So €250 each.
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 12,675 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    photome
    The fuel issue at Amsterdam really isn't an EC, it is inherent in running an airline - no different to a fuel truck breaking down or similar. KLM and the airport should have back up plans in place. since Schipol airport basically IS KLM I don't think they have an arguement. KLM have the ability to claim against a third party for losses.
    I suspect you may need to go to court if KLM don't give in when you send the NBA.
    Originally posted by JPears
    thanks guys. i will give it some thought and may go down the NWNF route.

my first flight would have been due to leave amsterdam for norwich at about 0915 so that was soon after the problem, it doesnt really explain why we got on it at Norwich at 1000 and it didnt leave untill 11.

it was chaos at Schipol with so many people waiting for rescheduled flights
    Originally posted by photome
    When they missed their ATC slot with the delay they need to request a new one. From what you posted it sounds like they boarded everyone as soon as they could to be able to show they were ready to leave as soon as an ATC slot was issued...which turned out not to be till 11 (I have boarded flights before where they actually tell you that they have an ATC slot of 09:30 but they boarded everyone at 08:00... they can then state they are ready and possibly 50% of the time we have left earlier)
    It may have been worsened by the issue at Amsterdam, Although a huge airport they will have a finite number of stands so they will need to get planes out to free up the gates for planes coming in. Huge amount of planning in this stuff and nightmare in these sort of circumstances

good luck - the NWNFs can be a pretty good at telling you when there is no claim so hopefully will be positive
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    UPDATE

KLM as i said refused compensation.

I went to Bott who told me thet KLM initailly refused them as well.

they then gave them 14 days or they would take them to court ( i know i could have done it but this way was less stress and more expensive )

I have now received 2 payments of £342 each from Bott
    • JPears
    • By JPears 18th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    JPears
    bumped to tidy board

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin