Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 35
    • JPears
    • By JPears 7th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    JPears
    The fuel issue at Amsterdam really isn't an EC, it is inherent in running an airline - no different to a fuel truck breaking down or similar. KLM and the airport should have back up plans in place. since Schipol airport basically IS KLM I don't think they have an arguement. KLM have the ability to claim against a third party for losses.
    I suspect you may need to go to court if KLM don't give in when you send the NBA.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • photome
    • By photome 7th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 12,769 Posts
    • 8,247 Thanks
    photome
    thanks guys. i will give it some thought and may go down the NWNF route.

my first flight would have been due to leave amsterdam for norwich at about 0915 so that was soon after the problem, it doesnt really explain why we got on it at Norwich at 1000 and it didnt leave untill 11.

it was chaos at Schipol with so many people waiting for rescheduled flights
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    it doesnt really explain why we got on it at Norwich at 1000 and it didnt leave untill 11.

it was chaos at Schipol with so many people waiting for rescheduled flights
    Originally posted by photome
    When they missed their ATC slot with the delay they need to request a new one. From what you posted it sounds like they boarded everyone as soon as they could to be able to show they were ready to leave as soon as an ATC slot was issued...which turned out not to be till 11 (I have boarded flights before where they actually tell you that they have an ATC slot of 09:30 but they boarded everyone at 08:00... they can then state they are ready and possibly 50% of the time we have left earlier)
    It may have been worsened by the issue at Amsterdam, Although a huge airport they will have a finite number of stands so they will need to get planes out to free up the gates for planes coming in. Huge amount of planning in this stuff and nightmare in these sort of circumstances

good luck - the NWNFs can be a pretty good at telling you when there is no claim so hopefully will be positive
    • bettyboon
    • By bettyboon 10th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bettyboon
    Does anyone know what are rotational air traffic restrictions? KLM are refusing to pay our claim and citing this.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 10th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Probably means they lost their slots. Have you put your flight details into an on line flight delay checker like Bottonline or EuClaim if not do it now. If they say you are due compensation download and read Vaubans Guide. Then send a Letter before action all explained in the guide. STOP ping ponging with them and start claiming.
    • bettyboon
    • By bettyboon 10th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bettyboon
    I have now had two refusals from them, the first just mentioned air traffic control as the reason. Someone on here gave me some advice so I went for it again and now they are saying something slightly different. I think you are right and I am going to the Ombudsman. Thanks for your reply.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 10th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    The advice is not to go to the Ombudsman just follow my advice in the post above yours.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 10th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I have now had two refusals from them,
    Originally posted by bettyboon
    what do the NWNF sites show? I would check the answers there before you do anything else
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 10th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    Vauban
    I have now had two refusals from them, the first just mentioned air traffic control as the reason. Someone on here gave me some advice so I went for it again and now they are saying something slightly different. I think you are right and I am going to the Ombudsman. Thanks for your reply.
    Originally posted by bettyboon
    What Ombudsman?
    • srisport
    • By srisport 29th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    srisport
    Hi All,

Back in March (2017) we had a flight delay of 6 hours from Amsterdam - San Fransisco, this was through KLM. During the delay we were handed food vouchers but as we were flying business class we chose to head back to the Lounge.

Once we arrived in San-Fransisco we were handed a piece of paper which stated how long our flight was delayed for.

After returning home from our holiday i proceeded to research methods of claiming for this delay and used resolver to submit a claim which was recorded on 31st May (2017).

Ive not heard nothing since either by email or phone call.

Should i just go ahead and contact KLM directly to discuss this delay and a possible compensation claim?

Should i do it over the phone or via email? What information should i have at hand which will help increase my chances of having a successful claim?

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Regards.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 30th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 10,843 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    there should be some sort of escalation time on Resolver but you can claim direct with KLM using the information on their website
    https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/customer_support/customer_support/refunds_and_compensation/applying_for_a_refund.htm
    • srisport
    • By srisport 2nd Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    srisport
    there should be some sort of escalation time on Resolver but you can claim direct with KLM using the information on their website
    https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/customer_support/customer_support/refunds_and_compensation/applying_for_a_refund.htm
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Ok, Thank you for your help.

Regards.
    • GuyfromHarlem
    • By GuyfromHarlem 12th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    GuyfromHarlem
    Earlier this year my KLM flight home was cancelled for technical reasons. I was rebooked the following morning and that flight ended up being delayed for 4 hours, also due to a technical issue. Not sure whether this counts as one or two claims and the regulations don't seem to specify. Anybody knows? Thanks.
    Originally posted by GuyfromHarlem
    Just wanted to update my case. They took more than a month to get back to me but KLM has agreed to pay compensation for both the cancelled and the delayed flight. Thanks for everyones comments.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 12th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 2,085 Thanks
    Vauban
    Just wanted to update my case. They took more than a month to get back to me but KLM has agreed to pay compensation for both the cancelled and the delayed flight. Thanks for everyones comments.
    Originally posted by GuyfromHarlem
    Wow - so you got two lots of compensation, despite only paying for one set of tickets (the original one that got cancelled). That's a great result - and not really what the airline has to do. But well done - quite a lucrative delay for you!
    • OohSoHolly
    • By OohSoHolly 13th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    OohSoHolly
    Hello Everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice. Me and my partner have just had our first holiday abroad for about 10 years so already airline newbies. We have just had our flight cancelled back home by Air France due to Hop! Airline pilots going on strike. I've called today and their offer was for a flight earlier on Friday which I said we couldn't make as we wouldn't be able to get there in time as we are currently two hours from the airport and it would involve us cutting our holiday short and leaving in the early hours of tomorrow to get to the airport. Air France weren't bothered by this and basically said take it or leave it. In the end we've taken a transfer to a flight on Saturday but this now puts us out of pocket as we're having to now pay for an additional nights accommodation! When I asked if they would pay for this she just chimed that they were reservations and couldn't authorise this I'd have to go through compensations?

Do I have any chance of recovering the £110 we've had to fork out for this additional night?

I'm really new at this flying thing so feel a little out of my depth!

Thanks
    [I'm Here to Money Save... Are you?]
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    JPears
    AF are responsible for your accommodation costs, extra food and drink (non alcohol) and compensation of 250Euro per fare paying passenger if your flight is within the next 14 days. Download Vauban's guide (google) to get a full explanation and guide to claiming.
    Did AF give you a letter with your rights afforded under regulation 261/2004? No, I guess not.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 13th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hello Everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice. Me and my partner have just had our first holiday abroad for about 10 years so already airline newbies. We have just had our flight cancelled back home by Air France due to Hop! Airline pilots going on strike. I've called today and their offer was for a flight earlier on Friday which I said we couldn't make as we wouldn't be able to get there in time as we are currently two hours from the airport and it would involve us cutting our holiday short and leaving in the early hours of tomorrow to get to the airport. Air France weren't bothered by this and basically said take it or leave it. In the end we've taken a transfer to a flight on Saturday but this now puts us out of pocket as we're having to now pay for an additional nights accommodation! When I asked if they would pay for this she just chimed that they were reservations and couldn't authorise this I'd have to go through compensations?

Do I have any chance of recovering the £110 we've had to fork out for this additional night?

I'm really new at this flying thing so feel a little out of my depth!

Thanks
    Originally posted by OohSoHolly
    Most importantly, keep receipts for any additional costs you have incurred, soft drinks only tho, they will not pay alcohol bills.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • OohSoHolly
    • By OohSoHolly 13th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    OohSoHolly
    Thanks for your responses. That's great, I'll make sure I keep all our receipts/email confirmations for the costs incurred and will contact their customer service team up on our return. The ironic thing is the return flight is through Hop! so I just hope that one doesn't end up getting cancelled!!

Many Thanks
    [I'm Here to Money Save... Are you?]
    • joshuawood
    • By joshuawood 19th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joshuawood
    Hi, I had a flight delay from Amsterdam to Heathrow on the 14th of June. I applied for compensation and received an electronic EMD voucher on the 5th July. I immediately submitted a refund request asking for a cash refund. I haven't heard from KLM since, does anyone know how long it typically takes for them to pay the compensation after submitting the refund request?
    • mysysteme
    • By mysysteme 20th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mysysteme
    Adr
    Most relevant forum ever!! Read through the heaps of info (FAQ and posts) and ready to send a chaser to KLM after my reply to their 1st refusal of compensation.

I think my case checks all the boxes (connecting flight via AMS operated by KLM in one ticket, arriving in UK 11h45m late, 3500km+ from HKG), reason was a 2h tyre change met with another 3.5 hrs ATC afterwards - according to pilot's announcement. The 2hr would mean missing the connecting flight anyway, which was the last flight on that day to my final destination, i.e. ATC or not I would have been 11h45m late.

KLM's first refusal was citing EC and ATC as expected, so again the arguement is around whether KLM can invoke EC for the tyre change. Ready to cite "Huzar v Jet2'; 'Van der Lans v KLM' (and Folkerts re connection) in the LBA I should soon draft.

My question to the experts here though - I read about the Retail Ombudsman (as ADR of KLM), but saw that they *just* 'lost their title' in July 2017 (wikipedia).
    Was it the right direction to go after the LBA anyway?
    I do not understand what this 'loss of title' means, and the impact it has on my request.

Appreciate any insight!!
    Last edited by mysysteme; 20-07-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,751Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter