Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 87
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Ok thank you
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • kingkatie95
    • By kingkatie95 30th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kingkatie95
    Hurricane Irma - Virgin Holidays
    We travelled to Florida on 06/09/17 for a two part trip (6 nights in Orlando remainder in Miami) advised Virgin we didn't want to travel as we were aware hurricane was coming. Said we had to travel as they didn't know the path of the hurricane. Virgin were allowing customers to cancel or re-book the day after (07/09). Couldn't get in contact with them for majority of the trip and just advised us to 'sit tight'. Hurricane hit, Miami hotel underwater and we were stranded with nowhere to go as Virgin said they 'couldn't find us any alternative accommodation'. No flight home offered and had to travel to NY to stay with family. Complained to virgin and said they're not offering any compensation - surely this can't be right?
    • tiddles93
    • By tiddles93 30th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tiddles93
    Did you book a package through Virgin holidays or was this just flights through VS?
    If it was a package through Virgin holidays then they would have had to find you alternate accommodation.
    If I suspect it was flight only then VS have absolutely no obligation to re accommodate you and I can't really see as you have any claim against them, the fact that you requested to cancel I suspect what were non refundable flights and were refused has no bearing on it.
    Try your travel insurance although I suspect they will not recompense you either.
    • vickythefish
    • By vickythefish 2nd Nov 17, 4:51 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vickythefish
    Sorry to hear about this! I have just posted a new thread, family members of mine are having difficulty with Virgin too! If you booked a package holiday with them then yes tiddles93 is correct - it even says in their FAQ section that they will 'take care' of you in the event of a hurricane. Fingers crossed you get it sorted. Have you written a letter of complaint or complained over the phone?
    • davidshads
    • By davidshads 25th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidshads
    Virgin VS16 flight cancelled
    Hi
    We were booked to fly home from Orlando on the 11th of November and due to a security incident all flights were grounded and our flight was cancelled and rescheduled for the 12th.
    The hotel was fully booked so we had to find another and arrange taxi transfers to the hotel and then on to the airport the next day.
    We had booked a taxi from Gatwick to Devon for the 12th,as soon as I found out about the cancellation I tried to contact him bearing in mind that the the UK was 5 hours in front and could not get hold of him, turned out that he had already got to Reading and had pre booked a hotel for that night as were had an early morning arrival. So he had to turn around and come home and he could not pick us up on the Monday which meant that we had to book a train back to Exeter.
    Our train tickets were £191 and obviously we had to pay the taxi as it wasn’t his fault.
    I put a claim in with Virgin and they have agreed to pay for the extra night we had to spend on a hotel and airport transfers and meals but will not pay for the extra cost incurred of getting home from the airport.
    Is this fair? Or should I go further and try to reclaim the extra costs?
    Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Thanks
    • tiddles93
    • By tiddles93 25th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tiddles93
    Travel insurance?
    Edit, on doing some research I've come across the following statement.
    "The only time an airline is liable for ground transport on arrival is if they land you at a different airport. Then, their obligation is to transport you to the correct one (not home)"
    But that is not the case here.
    Last edited by tiddles93; 25-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Nov 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Is this fair?
    Originally posted by davidshads
    Fair or not, the airline's obligations ended when you arrived at Gatwick.
    • davidshads
    • By davidshads 25th Nov 17, 11:36 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidshads
    Thanks for your comments, I am going to fill out a Travel insurance claim form and see what they say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin