Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 129
    • bobcat2
    • By bobcat2 22nd Aug 17, 7:17 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    bobcat2
    4 hours late Grenoble - stansted
    In April this year had a return flight from Grenoble to Standted which landed over 4 hours late.
    The delays seemed to be right across the airport as nobody could get through security until well after the flight was supposed to have taken off, not sure if they were doing extra security checks or what. When we got through security we had to wait a couple more hours as the flight crew had disappeared and no one knew where they were.
    Flight landed over 4 hours late.
    Is it worth putting a claim in for this as originally delay seemed to be something to do with the airport getting everyone through security?

If worth claiming is it worth doing myself or through Bott online?

TIA
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 22nd Aug 17, 8:08 PM
    • 3,638 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    111KAB
    bobcat .... use Bott & Co FOC compensation check page first before any further decision/question.
    • bobcat2
    • By bobcat2 22nd Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    bobcat2
    Thanks, yep checked the Bott and Co and it said it's good to go, I wasn't sure if that just meant yes the flight was late or it was likely to get compensation.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 23rd Aug 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Justice13075
    It means yes to compensation
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 23rd Aug 17, 11:40 AM
    • 3,638 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    111KAB
    So bobcat onto stage 2 ...... Vauban's Guide .... Google to find, read from front to back and then post again if you feel the need.
    • ClassicMad
    • By ClassicMad 25th Aug 17, 12:06 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    ClassicMad
    Hmmm, even though I have the "final position letter/email" from Easyjet and they've referred me to CEDR, the online process won't allow me to continue as I've not given Easyjet 8 weeks from the complaint to resolve it.... surely I shouldn't have to wait if they've dismissed my claim?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Aug 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hmmm, even though I have the "final position letter/email" from Easyjet and they've referred me to CEDR, the online process won't allow me to continue as I've not given Easyjet 8 weeks from the complaint to resolve it.... surely I shouldn't have to wait if they've dismissed my claim?
    Originally posted by ClassicMad
    If you have a deadlock letter they should accept your case. Give them a call if you need to.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • QuestionThrowaway
    • By QuestionThrowaway 28th Aug 17, 7:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    QuestionThrowaway
    Good news for me, EasyJet have agreed to pay me €250 per passenger, just a few questions, how much am I likely to receive in pounds, is it a set amount e,g, £220 = €250 or €250 and adjusted using the exchange rate. Secondly, probably impatient of me, but for those who have had success how long did it take to get the money after emailing them bank details?

I know I'm impatient, but I would just like an idea. Thanks.
    Last edited by QuestionThrowaway; 28-08-2017 at 8:19 PM.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 28th Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    legal magpie
    It should be converted as at the date of payment
    • QuestionThrowaway
    • By QuestionThrowaway 29th Aug 17, 12:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    QuestionThrowaway
    Thanks, and will I receive an email saying that compensation has been put into my bank or we should I just keep checking my bank to see if it has been transferred?
    • p_camp1
    • By p_camp1 29th Aug 17, 3:20 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    p_camp1
    Recently flew out to Ibiza with Easyjet - scheduled arrival time was 13:45

we were approx 3 hours delayed departing - touching down at 16:55

As we were leaving, the air hostesses told all passengers that we were 3+ hours over the scheduled arrival time and that we should all put a claim in. so I did, Easyjet came back to say the flight arrived at 16:35 and therefore inside the 3 hours.
    Thats ridiculous, it was definitely 16:55 although I've no proof.

Just checked the Flightright site, and it also says it arrived at 16:35.

Could Easyjet have 'fudged' their arrival time so that they avoided all the claims?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 29th Aug 17, 3:25 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Recently flew out to Ibiza with Easyjet - scheduled arrival time was 13:45

we were approx 3 hours delayed departing - touching down at 16:55

As we were leaving, the air hostesses told all passengers that we were 3+ hours over the scheduled arrival time and that we should all put a claim in. so I did, Easyjet came back to say the flight arrived at 16:35 and therefore inside the 3 hours.
    Thats ridiculous, it was definitely 16:55 although I've no proof.

Just checked the Flightright site, and it also says it arrived at 16:35.

Could Easyjet have 'fudged' their arrival time so that they avoided all the claims?
    Originally posted by p_camp1
    Of course they could. The relevant time is when the doors were opened.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 29th Aug 17, 3:27 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 1,822 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Originally posted by p_camp1
    No. Post your flight details, someone in here may be able to look it up. Or use Bott & Co's eligibility checker which is mentioned further up the page.
    • Shirepasty1
    • By Shirepasty1 1st Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shirepasty1
    broken contract
    hi,
    finally received email from EasyJet saying they will refund meals and hotels.
    No refund for our onward flights to Funchal after being left in Lisbon. We have a written copy of communication from EJ HQ to the pilot which states that onward flights would be paid for!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 1st Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Tyzap
    hi,
    finally received email from EasyJet saying they will refund meals and hotels.
    No refund for our onward flights to Funchal after being left in Lisbon. We have a written copy of communication from EJ HQ to the pilot which states that onward flights would be paid for!
    Originally posted by Shirepasty1
    Ask them for a deadlock letter and to pass your claim on to CEDR so that they can adjudicate for you.

Good luck.
    • billybraggtastic
    • By billybraggtastic 3rd Sep 17, 9:52 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    billybraggtastic
    Having made a claim for compensation after flights for 4 travelling was cancelled, I received the following:

We’ve reviewed your claim and are pleased to say that you are eligible for EU261 Compensation.

Your flight was cancelled Due to our aircraft having a technical issue . This delay was within our control and is considered a non-extraordinary circumstance under EU law.

We have transfer 231.23GBP to the bank account details you gave us. Please allow at least 15 days for this to arrive in your account.

Once again we’re sorry for the cancellation of your flight and look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Is this correct?
    Debt @ January '10 =£79712

Debt @ November 2015 =£00000
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Sep 17, 10:24 PM
    • 10,847 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    Caz3121

Is this correct?
    Originally posted by billybraggtastic
    that is correct for one person, have the other 3 claimed too?
    • billybraggtastic
    • By billybraggtastic 3rd Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    billybraggtastic
    that is correct for one person, have the other 3 claimed too?
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Thanks Caz3121, confirmed what I thought.

Truth is, when you fill out their form you would assume that you are making a claim for everyone on the booking - it asks for everyone in your party's details.

I'll get individual claims submitted.
    Debt @ January '10 =£79712

Debt @ November 2015 =£00000
    • araeho
    • By araeho 5th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    araeho
    Hi All, I posted earlier but just an update on a claim against Easyjet where their defence is "Extraordinary Circumstances". I'm looking to any knowledgeable forum friends to advise what we should do next. I will type out an extract from the summary defence. We are pursuing via CEDR and we've got to respond:

"As explained above, the cancellation of flight was due to the delay caused to the proceeding flight EZY1888 from Munich Airport to Manchester Airport. Flight EXY1888 was delayed by the need to offload a passenger with a fear of flying at 14.47 hours. The aircraft was then given a departure slot of 15.21 hour. The aircraft was not ready to depart until 15.25 hours, arriving at Manchester airport 17.11 hours, 1 hour and 16 minutes after its scheduled arrival time. by that time, it was not possible for the crew who had arrived into Manchester to operate flight EZY1903 from Manchester Airport to Tenerife South Airport (and subsequently the flight) in accordance with the legal restrictions on their duty periods. Whilst Easyjet attempted to reallocate a crew operating to KRK, this was ultimately not possible. As a result the flight was rescheduled to depart 18.20 on 4th June 2017, which was the earliest possible departure slot (given that an aircraft had to fly from Manchester to Tenerife to accomplish the flight."

To confirm our flight was 20hours late, we were out up in a hotel over-night. We had my disabled father who had no medication which we were really worried about.

I'm looking for the forums advise as to how to respond but my first thoughts are:

1) Given all the flights Easyjet operate I would suggest a passenger having a fear of flying is inevitable from time to time and the schedules shouldn't be so tight not to be able to cope with an off-load.
    2) By their admission in the response they came into Manchester just 1hour and 16mins late- that doesn't seem too bad and if the crew are then out of hours then again that unrealistic planning and cant be extraordinary?
    3) I've read on the web somewhere that even if something is deemed "Extraordinary Circumstances" (I don't think this is) then they still have to operate flights after the circumstance has ended and plan in sufficient reserve time into their schedules. In my book they've failed to do that in our case as we were not the next flight but the one after that and surely an Extraordinary circumstance has a shelf life?
    4) Also read somewhere that knock on's are tricky to rule on and its each one on its merits but one of the factors is the resources available to the airline. If they are miles away from home base then there is less responsibility on them. Am I not correct in saying that Manchester is a main hub for Easyjet? That's what I picked up on an ITV documentary about Easyjet pilot training?

So.....

Do you think I'm on the right track? What should mu next steps be? Got until 19/9 to comment back on CEDR website to the airline defence.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 5th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Araeho,

Am I right with the following summary of events?

The aircraft that should have been operating your flight was en route from Munich to Manchester when they had to off load a passenger, presumably while still at Munich.

The aircraft arrived into Manchester 1h 16m late.

The flight crew could not then operate the flight out to Tenerife South where you were waiting to depart back to Manchester?

You were delayed overnight in TFS?

If the above is correct then I would say that the delay was caused by EJ operational decisions, which do not constitute an EC. Your thoughts are along the right lines.

What EJ have to prove to CEDR is how 'what happened' to delay you could be considered as an EC. They will fail on this point.

I believe they would also fail for the reason that, additionally, they could not prove that this delay or cancellation could not have been avoided although they took all reasonable measures. Particularly as EJ would have know about the impending delay when the aircraft was still in Munich, giving them a heads up at 14.47 (13.47 UK time?). Also, as Manchester is a major base they should have sufficient standby crew available as a contingency for this type of delay. Obviously they didn't, so another EJ operational decision.

One final point, EJ were running this flight too close to the deadline, with very little operational leeway if/when a very short delay, such as this, was to occur. A delay of only 1h 16m should not result in 2 flights being delayed overnight. It was all within EJ's control, they just dealt with it very poorly.

I would continue on the CEDR route as MCOL is always your backup.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 05-09-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,985Posts Today

8,272Users online

Martin's Twitter