Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 113
    • JPears
    • By JPears 1st Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    JPears
    Oops, no my bad, confusing different posts. My post edited.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Sls
    • By Sls 3rd Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sls
    Hi everyone!
    Hoping to get some help. I had a flight from Luton to Hamburg which was diverted to Bremen. Diversion was due to a weather conditions. They kept us in the plane for amost an hour until they waited for decision. EJ ops decided not to fly back to Hamburg and we've been told there are coches to get us to Hamburg. In reality there were no coaches and EJ texted us an advice to take a train. Basically they abandoned us in the middle of the night. That was night and we had to take a taxi to train station, train to Hamburg.
    As far asI understand if a flight is diverted EJ is liable to get me to my final destination. Problem I've got I dont have any receipt of taxi or train ( it was night, i was alone, don't speak german. Shortly telling distressed and dont know where i lost my train ticket)
    Easyjet site says i can claim refund if i have receipts.
    Can I still claim as they know they dumped us there in the middle of the night. Also, after taking train i got to Hamburg at 2am. Supposed to arrive to Hamburg at 9pm. Can i claim flight delay as well based on that?
    Thanks a lot!
    • Dave1979
    • By Dave1979 5th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Dave1979
    We had a Gatwick - Edinburgh flight cancelled about an hour before take off. The ground staff told us it was due to crew working all their allocated permitted hours. It was late at night and the same weekend as the massive BA IT failure and the next available Easyjet flight was 2 days later! We managed to get a BA London City flight the next day and Easyjet put us up in the Hilton next door. The Easyjet staff specifically told everyone at the gate that the EU261 compensation would apply in this case and to keep any receipts to claim.

Just got an e-mail saying it won't be paid due to it being due to air traffic control problems. Well !!!!ed off! The BA flights were about an extra £150 on top of the refunded Easyjet prices. Some people at the gate were hiring a car and driving back to Edinburgh.

Any avenue to take this further or just try the travel insurance?
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 5th Jun 17, 4:01 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into Bottonline and EuClaim flight compensation checkers and see what they say.
    • Dave1979
    • By Dave1979 5th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Dave1979
    Put your flight details into Bottonline and EuClaim flight compensation checkers and see what they say.
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    Cheers. I have submitted a claim with Bott & Co.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    JPears
    We had a Gatwick - Edinburgh flight cancelled about an hour before take off. The ground staff told us it was due to crew working all their allocated permitted hours. It was late at night and the same weekend as the massive BA IT failure and the next available Easyjet flight was 2 days later! We managed to get a BA London City flight the next day and Easyjet put us up in the Hilton next door. The Easyjet staff specifically told everyone at the gate that the EU261 compensation would apply in this case and to keep any receipts to claim.

Just got an e-mail saying it won't be paid due to it being due to air traffic control problems. Well !!!!ed off! The BA flights were about an extra £150 on top of the refunded Easyjet prices. Some people at the gate were hiring a car and driving back to Edinburgh.

Any avenue to take this further or just try the travel insurance?
    Originally posted by Dave1979
    What you need to find out is the cause of the delay/cancellation. If it was air crew hours, you are probably due compensation. If it was just ATC restrictions, then probably not. If air crew issues caused the majority of the delay up to 3 hours, then ATC caused further delay, probably still due compensation.

• Joosh
    • By Joosh 14th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Joosh
    Hi guys,

An EasyJet flight a family member was on, due to go from Gibraltar back to Bristol UK recently was delayed by over 24 hrs in Gibraltar due to a bird strike on the incoming aircraft.

Eventually they flew home from Malaga, over a day later.

I have chased this up with EasyJet on behalf of the aforementioned family member as they do not have the confidence/capability to do it themselves.

EasyJet have replied classing bird strikes as Extraordinary Circumstances, however I've heard that this may not be true due to the airline paying the airport for bird clearing services, plus the fact that bird strikes may be a normal occurrence during standard airline ways of business.

Also, I don't see how it takes over 24 hours to get people on a replacement plane back from Gibraltar. It's a 2-3hr flight.

Could it be argued that bird strikes are not extraordinary circumstances and that easyJet did not do all in their power to reduce the delay?

They have been very stubborn so far, despite my citing of some court cases disagreeing with the easyJet decision.

Cheers,
    Joosh
    Originally posted by Joosh
    Hi all,

In reference to the above, I had read Vaubans guide and used it to good effect until recently when the European Court decided that Bird Strikes are extraordinary....

My issue with EasyJet's rejection of my case is that it took them over 24 hours to get another flight in order. Not only that, but the flight my family were due to be travelling on wasn't the one that got hit, it was on an incoming flight.

The downside is EasyJet aren't being easy about revealing why it took 24 hours after the scheduled flight time to get them onto another plane, given that Gibraltar is only a few hours away from Bristol.

I feel that it was an unnecessarily long delay for a bird strike in mainland Europe...

Regards,
    Josh
    If its not cheap, find a way to make it cheap.
    • Saz88
    • By Saz88 14th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Saz88
    Hi all,

I hope someone can help. Our Easyjet flight which was meant to fly out on Sunday 11 June, 2018 at 21.35 from Berlin Schoenefeld to London Gatwick was delayed for 11.5 hours. We were given overnight accommodation and was put on a flight on 12 June which finally arrived in London Gatwick at 9.55am. As it was an EU flight I understand I was entitled to compensation which I had applied for via the Easyjet form.

I have had a response from Easyjet saying the flight from Berlin Schoenefeld to London Gatwick was overnight delayed due to an Air Traffic Control strike. This story is totally different to what the Pilot told us on the plane and by the staff at the airport. The pilot told us that due to the delay s earlier in the day the staff members had worked over their contracting hours.

Please can any advise what is the next step in appealing against this and is there a way to check if there was really a Air Traffic Control strike which I think is not true as the planes were flying that day.

Thanks
    Sarah
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 14th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Did they say where the Air Traffic Control strike was?

Just checked EuClaim

They say you are possibly due compensation of €250 per passenger also check Bottonline and see what they say. If they say you are due €250 per passenger google and download Vaubans guide and follow it to the letter

Remember if there was an air traffic control strike it had to affect your flight not an incoming flight arriving late because of a strike.

Also if there wasn't a strike contact the CAA and tell them Easyjet are telling Porkies.
    Last edited by Justice13075; 14-06-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • Saz88
    • By Saz88 14th Jun 17, 5:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Saz88
    No they didn't say where the Air Traffic Control Strike was. I will check as per your advise. Thanks
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 15th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    Vauban
    Hi all,

In reference to the above, I had read Vaubans guide and used it to good effect until recently when the European Court decided that Bird Strikes are extraordinary....

My issue with EasyJet's rejection of my case is that it took them over 24 hours to get another flight in order. Not only that, but the flight my family were due to be travelling on wasn't the one that got hit, it was on an incoming flight.

The downside is EasyJet aren't being easy about revealing why it took 24 hours after the scheduled flight time to get them onto another plane, given that Gibraltar is only a few hours away from Bristol.

I feel that it was an unnecessarily long delay for a bird strike in mainland Europe...

Regards,
    Josh
    Originally posted by Joosh
    I agree. They didn't make every effort short of intolerable sacrifice which is what they have to do - even for an EC. So you argue on those grounds - though you may need to go to the small claims court.
    • Notebook
    • By Notebook 17th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Notebook
    Delay 26-05-17
    flight delayed as crew out of ours due to
    -Overnight Delayed in Majorca Palma due to disruptive pax crew unfit to operate resulting Bristol- Geneva sectors operating in reverse out of Geneva.
    5 hour delay - Alamo let my prepaid car go - had to rent a car that cost £800 as none others available (bank holiday) my fiancees 50th - managed to get to hotel so late that mcdonald's only play open.
    • alebazi
    • By alebazi 19th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    alebazi
    claim to easyjet or third party agency?!
    Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with an answer...
    Two weeks ago our flight was cancelled, they put us in the wrong hotel where we were supposed to get dinner that night, breakfast, lunch and dinner next day and airport - hotel transfer, but next morning we were sent off from the hotel getting our own transfer to the airport. Got to the airport, they said they would give us some food vouchers to spend in the airport...anyway after few hours we didn't get anything, not even a bottle of water...we ended booking our own flight as couldn't stay in the airport all day.
    The question is do I have to make a complaint to Easyjet or to the company that we booked the package holiday from (lastminute.com). I want to get my money back as they treated us like animals.

Thank you.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 19th Jun 17, 9:19 PM
    • 10,477 Posts
    • 6,867 Thanks
    Caz3121
    you claim refund of your unused ticket and possible EU261 compensation from the airline
    If you bought refreshments you could claim reimbursement with receipts under duty of care
    • Dr.Rock
    • By Dr.Rock 20th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Dr.Rock
    Hi Sarah

Hopefully this information may help. I was on the 1810 from Berlin to Gatwick that day (i.e. the flight before yours). It was delayed and eventually left at 2125, however made up some time and arrived just under the 3 hour compensation threshold

You have my sympathies for this delay. However the pertinent information is that our delay was caused by the need to bring a standby pilot in from Paris. There was no mention to us of air traffic control issues. Crucially a flight did fly from Berlin to Gatwick only 10 minutes previous to when yours should have (despite the initial delay).

I don't know what the next step for you would be but I hope this information might be of some help to you in showing up easyJest's lies (that's a genuine typo but it feels somewhat appropriate).

Hi all,

I hope someone can help. Our Easyjet flight which was meant to fly out on Sunday 11 June, 2018 at 21.35 from Berlin Schoenefeld to London Gatwick was delayed for 11.5 hours. We were given overnight accommodation and was put on a flight on 12 June which finally arrived in London Gatwick at 9.55am. As it was an EU flight I understand I was entitled to compensation which I had applied for via the Easyjet form.

I have had a response from Easyjet saying the flight from Berlin Schoenefeld to London Gatwick was overnight delayed due to an Air Traffic Control strike. This story is totally different to what the Pilot told us on the plane and by the staff at the airport. The pilot told us that due to the delay s earlier in the day the staff members had worked over their contracting hours.

Please can any advise what is the next step in appealing against this and is there a way to check if there was really a Air Traffic Control strike which I think is not true as the planes were flying that day.

Thanks
    Sarah
    Originally posted by Saz88
    • AlexBez
    • By AlexBez 22nd Jun 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlexBez
    Easyje won't compensate for cancelled flight because i didn't fly with them next day
    Hi All,

I've been given compensation for cancelled/delayed flights in the past and am stumped by this one...
    - Flight from Stuttgart > Gatwick (EU)
    - Cancelled at 11th hr due to late arriving aircraft (tech fault on another journey)
    - Offered no accomodation as local hotels were booked up
    - Stayed with friends and booked on a BA flight for the following morning
    - Easyjet offered us a new flight at 2pm following day but was way too late for us so we asked for refund of originial cancelled flight and to be removed from this new flight (we'd have lost another day)
    - I am now seeking the 250€ compensation as the cancelled flight was their fault and we'd only have been able to land at destination about 15hrs later if took their new flight.

- After a couple of emails, Easyjet are refusing to honour the compensation as we didn't take their second flight, apparently we'd have to have flown with them again to get the compensation?? It was far too late for us, 2pm the following day! Sounds like madness to me and this policy should be trumped by the EU/Civil aviation policy.

Any help most welcome!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 22nd Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,835 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    JPears
    IMHO, you are due compensation. Others have a difference of opinion on this.
    Your flight was cancelled, and not due to an EC. They didn't have the plane in the right place at the right time.
    They didn't fulfill their duty of care in finding you accommodation.
    Did they offer you the new flight at the time of cancellation or a later time? (not that it really makes much difference).
    You will probably have to start taking this through the legal process.

• AlexBez
    • By AlexBez 22nd Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlexBez
    IMHO, you are due compensation. Others have a difference of opinion on this.
    Your flight was cancelled, and not due to an EC. They didn't have the plane in the right place at the right time.
    They didn't fulfill their duty of care in finding you accommodation.
    Did they offer you the new flight at the time of cancellation or a later time? (not that it really makes much difference).
    You will probably have to start taking this through the legal process.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Many thanks i thought as much!

After the flight was cancelled we got an update on the app saying we were on a new flight (the next day). It was probably about 1hr later.

How would you recommend i pursue this via the legal route? I see lots of companies who take on the battle for a fee. I'd love to take this on with no additional cost - it's clear cut in my eyes.

Many thanks
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 22nd Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    111KAB
    AlexBez - yourself = Vauban's Guide
    Fee based - your choice but normally = Bott & Co.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,061Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter