Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 110
    • SIGNMAN
    • By SIGNMAN 27th Dec 16, 11:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SIGNMAN
    Easyjet 26 hours late
    We were due to fly out of Turkey on a scheduled flight at 12.30 Midday Sunday Oct 23th.
    On boarding the plane, we were told by the Captain there would be about a Twenty minute delay as the plane had hit a bird upon landing. We were told the captain had checked it but because of the position on the nose cone it had to be verified by a technician. This was done and no damage whatsoever was found.
    We were left waiting at the terminal for a further 5 hours while Emails were exchanged to and from Easyjet. The Captain kept us informed at various intervals and was very pleasant.
    No food at all was available on the plane and we were only offered one bag of Pringles and a soft drink.
    After a further wait the Captain announced that the crew were getting near to the end of their allowed flying time and if we could take off soon then they could fly to Berlin or Milan to change crews. This never happened and the crew eventually went over their time.
    We were then allowed back into the airport for a further wait until one of the local reps could decide what to do.
    At this point the airport was totally closed and again there was no food. Eventually we found a small Coffee cart had opened and we bought coffee. Some of the passengers had taken beer and sandwiches from one of the closed bars as they were so frustrated.
    We were eventually taken to a hotel for the night at around 8.00pm and given food and Breakfast in the morning.
    The Replacment flight no: EZY9284 (The same plane) was due to fly out at 2.30 but again there was a delay due to another flight and we took off just after 3.00pm, a total of around 26 hours late. Again no food or hot drinks were available on the whole flight, but we had purchased our own as I had text messages from Easyjet informing us of the delay at several points and telling us there would be no food on the flight.
    I have tried to claim compensation for this and Easyjet have refused to deal with Resolver so I filled out their own form.
    They refuse any compensation saying that this is an extraordinary situation due to technical issues out of their control. I have checked other websites and have learned that Technical issues are not classed as extraordinary circumstances.
    Can you please give me any advise as to were to take this next as I am not prepared to give up.
    Thanks..... Martin
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 27th Dec 16, 11:33 AM
    • 10,699 Posts
    • 6,985 Thanks
    Caz3121
    all the guidance is covered in Vaubans Guide http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5173888
    If you have further questions you should post them on the Easyjet thread
    • JPears
    • By JPears 31st Dec 16, 12:42 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    JPears
    for lazy newbs
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • crossbuyer
    • By crossbuyer 4th Jan 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    crossbuyer
    Non-payment after CEDR decision
    We were delayed on an easyjet flight from Spain in 2016. After completing easyjet's on-line claim form numerous times (each time it was lost), several pointless phone calls & a letter, we went to the CEDR for adjudication and we won. Easyjet are now dragging their heels and not paying.

My queries (should anyone be kind enough to respond) are:
    1. how long should I allow easyjet to pay me - 20 working days?
    2. is the small claims court the next place for me to try in this process?
    3. if they still don't pay after the SCC, do I get bailiffs involved? That could be quite entertaining.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
    • Vauban
    • By Vauban 4th Jan 17, 12:26 PM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Vauban
    We were delayed on an easyjet flight from Spain in 2016. After completing easyjet's on-line claim form numerous times (each time it was lost), several pointless phone calls & a letter, we went to the CEDR for adjudication and we won. Easyjet are now dragging their heels and not paying.

My queries (should anyone be kind enough to respond) are:
    1. how long should I allow easyjet to pay me - 20 working days?
    2. is the small claims court the next place for me to try in this process?
    3. if they still don't pay after the SCC, do I get bailiffs involved? That could be quite entertaining.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
    Originally posted by crossbuyer
    The CEDR's findings have no force in law - CEDR is not a substitute for legal action, and neither you nor the CEDR can actually force the airline to pay. So you cannot send in the bailiffs unfortunately!

Whilst it would be pretty difficult for the airline to offer a defence in court if they were a party to an impartial arbitration scheme which had ruled in your favour, the downside for you is that starting a legal claim is likely to take some time and money (which you should get back). So my advice would be to chase CEDR and put the pressure on them to get Ryanair to pay out: it's likely to be quicker than going to court.
    • ieureed
    • By ieureed 13th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ieureed
    easyJet are refusing compensation
    On the way home from our trip to Italy back in July our flight home (14th July) was delayed by just over three hours (194 minutes) which was a huge inconvenience to us as it meant we had missed our bus and had to wait a further 5 hours for the next available coach.

I was careful to make a note of the exact reasons for the delay, and as per the pilot's announcement, the delay was due to "lots of traffic in the air" and due to the fact they had "missed several air traffic slots earlier in the day which has had a knock-on effect".

At first I tried using EasyJet's own form to submit my claim, but I got no response. I then proceeded to use MSE's templates to send an email myself. I was told by an EasyJet representative that the delay was caused due to "crew being out of hours" (it's my understanding that this is not a sufficient reason?). I went ahead and challenged the representative, to which I received no reply. This was the beginning of the Christmas period so I allowed some leeway.

Over 25 working days later I sent a follow-up email, politely requesting a response, and warning of legal action should I not receive a satisfactory response within the next 14 working days.

I received a prompt response, but not what I was expecting. A different representative responded claiming she had re-looked into the flight report and the flight delay was actually due to an air traffic control strike and as a result they are not able (or willing) to give compensation. Now this raised a few flags because firstly, not a single member of staff had made us aware of this apparent strike until 3rd January 2017, and secondly, this was now the third excuse we had been given by three different employees.

I challenged this and asked for a copy of the flight report, but they have refused and responded with "As you will remember from our Terms and Conditions, when your flight is delayed for more than one hour beyond its scheduled departure time, if you do not wish to travel on the delayed flight you can choose a freetransfer on the next available easyJet flight or you can cancel your seat and receive a credit for future flights with us.
    I understand that you choose to travel on the delayed flight. However, it would not be possible for us to send you a 'Flight disruption report' as its a internal report.But, I can confirm that the primary reason for your !flight getting delayed was!due to strike/Air traffic control"
    (exact grammar).

Now, I've done some research online and as far as I'm aware I can't see any news of an air traffic control strike on 14th July 2016. How do you suggest I proceed with this claim? I feel like I'm just going around in circles with each representative just giving their own bs copy/pasted response.

Advice would be HUGELY appreciated
    Last edited by ieureed; 13-01-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 13th Jan 17, 1:25 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into EuClaim and also Bottonline who will check your flight details and give an opinion as to whether you are due compensation. There is an Easyjet thread this should go on to that thread.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 13th Jan 17, 1:55 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Justice13075
    If they say you are due compensation you have 2 choices. I see you have told them of possible pending legal action so, you can issue a summons through the small claims court or hand it over to a No Win No Fee Solicitor. You won't get the real reason for the delay until legal proceedings are issued against the airline. Download Vaubans guide it is all in there.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 14th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    JPears
    more lazy newbs...

• MissGeorgiou
    • By MissGeorgiou 18th Jan 17, 4:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MissGeorgiou
    HELP - Easyjet, overbook flight, cheque blocked 6 months later, Now out of pocket
    After fighting Easyjet for flight compensation after they overbooked my flight to Cyprus and I was delayed a day. After claiming the first cheque was lost in the post. This took months and months to get a new one reissued. It finally came around September (Flight was March time) I just came back from holiday to find £372 has been taken from my bank account.

The cheque easyjet provided me with was blocked (even though it was cashed straight away) my bank have proof it was received by easyjet bank and they are saying they never got it and now my bank have charged me. On asking the bank to investigate it they have said they have done this a few times to other customers. Easyjet stopped responding to my bank and started ignoring them.

I only got about £300 I've been charged the day it got rejected's exchange rate plus a fee for it bouncing plus the bank fees for cashing a foreign cheque!

I am so distraught about this! I was contacting them almost daily for months and now I'm out of pocket and stressed at a time I couldn't afford to be down £372!!!

I am at a point where I feel there needs to be legal action and I should be receiving compensation not only for the flight, the loss of work I received abroad by loosing a working day but also the time and stress it's caused me as well as the additional bank charges and loss i've received in bank fees!

I don't even know where to go from here. I'm sick to death of their games.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 18th Jan 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    JPears
    1. Easyjet thread in future please.
    2. Download and read Vauban's guide.
    3. Issue court papers via MCOL to include all your additional expenses/costs.
    4. Write letter of complaint to CAA regarding EJs abysmal behaviour. It probably won't help but unless people complain to CAA they wont know how terrible the airlines are behaving.

• clairet707
    • By clairet707 24th Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    clairet707
    So Ive had a claim in with CEDR for a flight that was delayed in October 2016, today was the deadline given to easyjet and they have submitted their defence today. 25 page report including a load of screen shots from I presume to be ATC logs etc

My flight was delayed by almost 12 hours - Easyjet claim to be weather, however it was the incoming flight that was delayed by weather but there were other flights taking off and landing (including another easyjet flight to our destination Luton which was 2 hours after our flight was supposed to leave) from before our flight was due to leave and when it actually did leave.

They are claiming they got another crew from LTN to ATH (where our incoming was diverted to) to fly the plane back to Corfu (as otherwise the crew would have been over hours) but when we finally got on the plane, the captain said they were the original crew doing overtime as a gesture of goodwill.

Some of the other things in their report is different to what we were told or actually happened.

What do I need to do now - the email from CEDR says - The airline has filed a defense in this matter. Consequently, CEDR will now appoint an adjudicator to review the merits of this case. As per the Scheme, the customer is also invited to provide comments regarding the defense.

Do I need to anything now? or do I just wait to see what the adjudicator says?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 24th Jan 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    JPears
    I would suggest:
    If any "facts" presented by EJ differ from what you are aware of, let the adjudicator know.
    Point out that weather affecting previous flights (not yours) and crew out of hours are not generally accepted as Extraordinary circumstances in relation to regulation 261/2004.
    If you can post up the defence, anonymised, to dropbox or similar, we'll help dissect it

• clairet707
    • By clairet707 24th Jan 17, 3:22 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    clairet707
    I would suggest:
    If any "facts" presented by EJ differ from what you are aware of, let the adjudicator know.
    Point out that weather affecting previous flights (not yours) and crew out of hours are not generally accepted as Extraordinary circumstances in relation to regulation 261/2004.
    If you can post up the defence, anonymised, to dropbox or similar, we'll help dissect it
    Originally posted by JPears
    Thanks Ill see if I can work out how to do that tonight at home
    • clairet707
    • By clairet707 24th Jan 17, 9:11 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    clairet707
    Think Ive done this right, not used drop box before

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o2p6ddzw9wycqm/CEDR%20CASE%20%20Defence.pdf?dl=0
    • JPears
    • By JPears 25th Jan 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    JPears
    Hmm initial thoughts:
    Possibly adjudicator mind find in their favour.
    However - to say that thunderstorms are not inherent in an airline's activity? So EJ always and only ever fly in perfectly clear skies? Crap.
    It depends if adjudicator classes the previous flights issues as a major factor in your delay.
    If no other flights were cancelled/delayed or rerouted from Corfu at the same time, you have a stronger case.
    Looking at flight stats, no other plane was diverted and only 3 others were delayed and by no more than an hour - that goes in your favour but will need pointing out to adjudicator.
    Last edited by JPears; 25-01-2017 at 1:05 PM.

• clairet707
    • By clairet707 25th Jan 17, 1:10 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    clairet707
    Hmm initial thoughts:
    Possibly adjudicator mind find in their favour.
    However - to say that thunderstorms are not inherent in an airline's activity? So EJ always and only ever fly in perfectly clear skies? Crap.
    It depends if adjudicator classes the previous flights issues as a major factor in your delay.
    If no other flights were cancelled/delayed or rerouted from Corfu at the same time, you have a stronger case.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Thanks, I thought the same about the thunderstorms...there was a flight from the day before delayed till about 6pm on the day we flew and a few others delayed by an hour or two but there were no others delayed as long as ours (other than the one from the day before) and there were definitely flights taking off and landing before ours was rerouted, we were watching it coming in on the flight stats app, it didnt appear to circle on there just get to about 30 mins off corfu and then change direction. It then took about an hour for EJ to give us any information about it. Untill that point we had only been told our flight was delayed by an hour.

There definitely were not any thunderstorms at that point, there had been first thing that morning but not by the time we got to the airport 2 and a bit hours before we were due to take off. It was clearing up though it was still raining

It annoys me that they are trying to wheedle out of this, not helped by the complete lack of facilities at Corfu airport, we also struggled to get much information out of them, we eventually managed to get 5 euro giftcards each out of them to get a drink but they kept the cards (even if there was cash left on them) so we when were further delayed they finally agreed to putting another 10 euro on them but they still had the cards so we had to go and beg for the cards back to get food, except with airport prices there wasnt much you could get for 5/10 euros. plus they had run out of a lot and food and drink due to a few flights in the morning being delayed by the thunder
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 25th Jan 17, 3:21 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Clairet707,

EJ have really muddied the water here. It seems that there is possibly more to this than meets the eye, it's just not easy to get to the bottom of it tho.

I'm not sure if CEDR have the power to ask EJ to supply the 'event printout' from the flight but that should shed more light on events.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • clairet707
    • By clairet707 30th Jan 17, 9:36 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    clairet707
    Hi Clairet707,

EJ have really muddied the water here. It seems that there is possibly more to this than meets the eye, it's just not easy to get to the bottom of it tho.

I'm not sure if CEDR have the power to ask EJ to supply the 'event printout' from the flight but that should shed more light on events.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Sorry not sure what you mean by this Tyzap? (only just seen this reply as have been away for a few days)
    • JPears
    • By JPears 30th Jan 17, 10:42 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    JPears
    I think Tyzap means they are trying to hide behind weather issues, when no other airlines had these problems.
    It may take legal action to clear the muddy waters...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

10,828Users online

Martin's Twitter