Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 105
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 16th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi sputnik1957,

Please post your flight details for a more considered response. Certain details will support or weaken your case.

Thanks.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 16th Oct 16, 4:03 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Stuttgart to Gatwick is under 1500km which means €250 per passenger
    • sputnik1957
    • By sputnik1957 16th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sputnik1957
    Hi sputnik1957,

Please post your flight details for a more considered response. Certain details will support or weaken your case.

Thanks.
    The flight was Gatwick to Amsterdam. I assumed previously it was over three hours delay as were about 3 hours 40mins late leaving. Scheduled landing 16:50, my phone log suggests actually arrive was 19:15ish. I can't recall if my clock had updated when recorded. Silly me. Maybe I can do this online if there is accurate logging. EZY8877 2016-09-15

Would this make much difference in my response.

Thanks
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 16th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 9,962 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    Caz3121
    EZY8877 2016-09-15
    Originally posted by sputnik1957
    flightstats shows was at gate 202 minutes late
    EUClaim shows €250 due
    • ianG
    • By ianG 16th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ianG
    Yes we received the £250 comp quite quickly which i think gave us false hope that our expenses wouldnt take much time to take to come through.
    Originally posted by startingout2016
    When I contact them they just repeat the fact that a cheque was sent out but that was just the compensation part not the expenses aspect.

Just checking with the forum that I should pursue the expenses as well, I assume we can claim for both? Maybe they think we will quietly go away having got some payment.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 16th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Which airport did you fly into in the UK? and what expenses are you trying to claim?
    • ianG
    • By ianG 16th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ianG
    Which airport did you fly into in the UK? and what expenses are you trying to claim?
    Originally posted by Justice13075
    The booked flight was from Pisa to Luton but due to fully booked flights I took the Pisa to Gatwick flight and then a train back to luton to pick up the car. The incidental expenses were taxi rides to/from airport to hotel, meals, cost of new booking to Gatwick and so on.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Oct 16, 12:07 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Tyzap
    The flight was Gatwick to Amsterdam. I assumed previously it was over three hours delay as were about 3 hours 40mins late leaving. Scheduled landing 16:50, my phone log suggests actually arrive was 19:15ish. I can't recall if my clock had updated when recorded. Silly me. Maybe I can do this online if there is accurate logging. EZY8877 2016-09-15

Would this make much difference in my response.

Thanks
    Hi,

The medical emergency was on a previous flight (maybe one or more) so you were affected by the 'knock on' of that delay. The fact that LGW is one of EJ's main bases (if not the main UK base) means they have less wriggle room to avoid liability in your case.

They were obviously aware of the developing situation many hours before your aircraft arrived at LGW.

Good luck.
    • Basingstoke Betty
    • By Basingstoke Betty 18th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Basingstoke Betty
    Easyjet Defence
    Hi,
    I'll try to keep this brief starting with steps taken so far....

Delay of over 4 hours on European flight this summer due to knock on effect following bird strike to the plane on a previous journey.
    Easyjet denied compensation via their own process.
    I issued NBA - I have proof of receipt - they didn't respond.
    I issued MCOL - they are defending.

I used Vauban's guide (thank you) to fill out MCOL form but did not include the names of all travellers or the flight number as there was limited wording.

Easyjet's defence is that I have not provided them with flight details so they cannot confirm I was on any flight (*apart from my CLAIM on their own system and the NBA*).
    They claim that I have not provided proof of being a passenger.
    They claim that it is down to me to prove I was on the flight (thankfully I have my boarding passes, the emails they sent us during the day to say that the flight was delayed, my booking references etc etc etc).
    They claim that I cannot claim on behalf of my husband or children (locus standi?).
    They claim that I cannot claim interest as this is not a damages case.

So now I have a very small form to complete which is basically two things: 1) do I want mediation and 2) do I agree it is small claims court?

But there is no process for me to provide all the evidence that I was on the flight etc....and they claim that they cannot investigate without further 'particularisation' from me...so here is my question:

How do I give them that information?

I don't want to go all the way to court only to be told by the judge that I didn't give them enough information to do their investigation. (Although they DO have enough as I have submitted both a claim via their website - which they rejected by email and which I have a copy of).

Not sure if I should tick mediation box as that gives me a chance to let them know that I DO have proof that we flew.

Also, how do I prove that I can speak on behalf of my whole party?

so, I've tried to be to the point here - advice very gratefully received.
    • JustAlice
    • By JustAlice 18th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JustAlice
    Flight cancelled before strike
    Hi,

I was due to fly to Gatwick from Chania (Crete) on 8th Oct at 22.25.
    There was due to be a strike by Greek ATC starting at 00.01 on 9th Oct.

EasyJet cancelled the inbound flight and therefore cancelled our flight (these were cancelled on the evening of the 7th), stating the reason for the cancellation was the Greek ATC strike.
    This strike was called off (at least 2 hours before our flight was due to depart.)
    I have applied for compensation but EasyJet have come back saying that as it was due to a strike we are not entitled to compensation...

My gripe is that they pre-emptively cancelled flights due to the threat of a strike...and even if the strike had gone ahead we would have cleared Greek airspace by the time it started (my pilot friend told me this).

Does anyone have experience of this kind of excuse? I've checked on the Bottonline webpage and that says we might have a case...Think it's worth pursuing (directly to easyjet)?

Thanks.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    JPears
    Hi,
    I'll try to keep this brief starting with steps taken so far....

Delay of over 4 hours on European flight this summer due to knock on effect following bird strike to the plane on a previous journey.
    Easyjet denied compensation via their own process.
    I issued NBA - I have proof of receipt - they didn't respond.
    I issued MCOL - they are defending.

I used Vauban's guide (thank you) to fill out MCOL form but did not include the names of all travellers or the flight number as there was limited wording.

Easyjet's defence is that I have not provided them with flight details so they cannot confirm I was on any flight (*apart from my CLAIM on their own system and the NBA*).
    They claim that I have not provided proof of being a passenger.
    They claim that it is down to me to prove I was on the flight (thankfully I have my boarding passes, the emails they sent us during the day to say that the flight was delayed, my booking references etc etc etc).
    They claim that I cannot claim on behalf of my husband or children (locus standi?).
    They claim that I cannot claim interest as this is not a damages case.

So now I have a very small form to complete which is basically two things: 1) do I want mediation and 2) do I agree it is small claims court?

But there is no process for me to provide all the evidence that I was on the flight etc....and they claim that they cannot investigate without further 'particularisation' from me...so here is my question:

How do I give them that information?

I don't want to go all the way to court only to be told by the judge that I didn't give them enough information to do their investigation. (Although they DO have enough as I have submitted both a claim via their website - which they rejected by email and which I have a copy of).

Not sure if I should tick mediation box as that gives me a chance to let them know that I DO have proof that we flew.

Also, how do I prove that I can speak on behalf of my whole party?

so, I've tried to be to the point here - advice very gratefully received.
    Originally posted by Basingstoke Betty
    If you have already provided copies of your boarding passes in your intial claim and /or NBA then a polite letter, with a copy to the court, pointing this out should suffice.
    As for claiming for others , if it goes to court, and you win, let the judge decide if they are included. If they aren't, just submit another claim, pointing out that an identical claim has already been sucessful. Yes it is a lot of unnecessary work, but the airlines will often push it to the limit to avoid paying out.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 19th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 3,517 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    111KAB
    Agree to mediation as it then appears you are willing to settle without wasting Judge time however do not give way on any point (including interest) and thereby it may or may not proceed to court. Most claims do not proceed to court however if yours does you will be given ample time to provide your defence to the court including copies of boarding passes etc etc.
    • sputnik1957
    • By sputnik1957 19th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sputnik1957
    Hi,

The medical emergency was on a previous flight (maybe one or more) so you were affected by the 'knock on' of that delay. The fact that LGW is one of EJ's main bases (if not the main UK base) means they have less wriggle room to avoid liability in your case.

They were obviously aware of the developing situation many hours before your aircraft arrived at LGW.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Thanks Tyzap,

Do you think there are some specifics I can use arguing with the case? I'm having a read through EU261, is there anything else worth referencing?

Yeah - main base and as mentioned it seemed finding staff also increased delay which is poor planning.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 19th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks Tyzap,

Do you think there are some specifics I can use arguing with the case? I'm having a read through EU261, is there anything else worth referencing?

Yeah - main base and as mentioned it seemed finding staff also increased delay which is poor planning.
    Hi,
    Download Vaubans guide and have a read of that too, just Google it.
    You already have the basics for a claim so issue a LBA if need be and see what their reply is. They may not contest it after that.
    There are lots of experienced posters here who will help with any further questions but I feel you case is pretty straightforward.
    Good luck.
    • Basingstoke Betty
    • By Basingstoke Betty 19th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Basingstoke Betty
    boarding passes
    If you have already provided copies of your boarding passes in your intial claim and /or NBA then a polite letter, with a copy to the court, pointing this out should suffice.
    As for claiming for others , if it goes to court, and you win, let the judge decide if they are included. If they aren't, just submit another claim, pointing out that an identical claim has already been successful. Yes it is a lot of unnecessary work, but the airlines will often push it to the limit to avoid paying out.
    Originally posted by JPears
    Hi - I didn't provide copies of boarding passes with initial claim or NBA - but I did use booking number as a reference in both instances - and the claim via EJ website was responded to directly back to me so I have evidence that they acknowledge that I flew.

Have spoken to MCOL today who suggest that I can include additional evidence with my directions questionnaire and that it will be added to the file - I'll send a copy to EJ too.

So its just the Locus Standi to deal with and I like your suggestion of letting the judge handle it - I might get hubbie to sign a letter saying I speak on his behalf too - do you think that's worth it?
    • DrA_Harrogate
    • By DrA_Harrogate 19th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    DrA_Harrogate
    Locus standii
    When we went to Court yonks ago the airline's (charming) barrister fired off the locus standii question. The Judge allowed my wife's claim as she was there in person, but was inclined to decline the other 3 passengers as they were not present. The barrister (said she was charming) said don't worry if you win you can just get the other passengers to claim. I asked the Judge if she would have thought differently if I had brought letters and she thought she probably would; so take it/them along!
    • Jez54
    • By Jez54 23rd Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jez54
    EZY2068 Geneva to Luton at 21:15 on 22 March 2016

Flight cancelled, special replacement flight next morning, EZY9068 at 09:40 on 23 March.
    Easyjet did provide passengers with overnight hotel accommodation, meals, etc.

Initially we were told delayed departure was due to late arrival of the incoming aircraft.
    Later we were told there had been a "heavy landing" and 2 cabin crew members had been injured.
    Later again we were told the plane had to be "checked out" and the 2 crew had been hospitalised.
    This time we were told the "heavy landing" had been due to "bad weather conditions".
    (Presumably so that they can say it was "extraordinary" in order to avoid paying compensation)
    Later we were told they had obtained a replacement aircraft but still needed a full cabin crew to fly it.
    They said they were trying to find stand-in crew so we could leave before the airport's night curfew.
    Finally we were told they could not find crew in time for the curfew, so the flight was cancelled.
    After being given details of the special replacement flight next morning, we were sent off to hotels.

EUclaim says "possible compensation" of 250 euro against the original flight number.
    Bottonline got stuck because it cannot find the special (non-scheduled) replacement flight number.
    I intend to submit a claim myself, as I do have all the documentation.

The collective views of passengers (including one trained pilot) at the time were:
    (a) Bad weather did not appear to be affecting any other flights.
    (b) Pilots are trained and should be able to deal with issues such as crosswinds or wind-shear.
    (c) Airports have sophisticated equipment that detects and alerts incoming aircraft to such issues.
    (d) Crew should have been in their seats for landing, so how come injuries required hospitalisation?

It didn't sound like "extraordinary conditions" not inherent to airline operations?
    Instead, it sounded like a sequence of human errors / failures to follow proper procedures?
    And also, a failure to have in place appropriately adequate or effective fall-back planning?
    To be able to source a stand-in aircraft, but not 2 crew members, seems very odd indeed?

However, reading Vauban (thanks!), it seems best to keep "powder dry" as long as possible?
    And therefore to initiate the claim without raising any such questions about the cause of delay?

TIA for any comments / suggestions.
    Especially, suggestions as to where I may be able to source:
    (1) independent information on unusual weather events at Geneva airport
    (2) independent records of reportable aircraft incidents at Geneva airport
    (3) independent records of reportable workplace injuries for Easyjet aircrew

Thanks (and sorry for my newbie long-windedness!)
    Jez54
    • rach29
    • By rach29 26th Oct 16, 7:15 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    rach29
    Hi there, I wonder if anyone an advise me about a situation with Easyjet earlier this year. My Daughter was due to fly from Valencia to London Gatwick on 4th August EZY5226. The flight was delayed 14 hours & they were put in Hotel accommodation overnight.

She has put in a claim for compensation, but Easyjet have denied it saying that the delay was due to "slot resrictions" and therefore "beyond their control". In truth, the flight was delayed because the crew went over time (the crew told them this when they disembarked the aircraft having waited for take off for about 2 hours)

What do they mean by slot restrictions? I cant find any real information on the net about this & there was no information at Valencia apart from the delayed flight in, and the crew then going over time as a new slot could not be found in time. I've tried to look up the official reason, but I'm not very techy & I don't really understand the information I'm getting.

As Easyjet have already said no, I presume she will have to go down the MCOL route?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
    Thanks to all who post comps
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 26th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Justice13075
    EuClaim say you are not due any compensation, try putting the flight details into bottonline flight checker and see what they say.
    • rach29
    • By rach29 26th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    rach29
    Bott says she an claim EU250. Is it best just to use them?
    Thanks to all who post comps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter